why is my hair falling out? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 09-09-2006, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried to search the archives on this but couldn't find anything useful. DH & I are starting to worry about how much hair I'm losing. Every time I comb or brush my hair I get a fistful of hair stuck on the brush. We find hairballs made of my hair all over the carpet. I'm not going bald (yet) but it's starting to feel noticeably thinner on my scalp. I do have a kind of a weird diet. Anyone know of any specific vitamin, amino acid, nutrient, or whatnot deficiencies that might cause this? I've found info that I should probably go back to taking a B complex supplement, which I intend to do, but I'd appreciate any further advice too.
#2 of 30 Old 09-09-2006, 05:17 PM

Hair falling out can be a sign of low progesterone or low thyroid function so you may want to check out other symptoms of those problems to see whether they make sense for you. I've heard that one of the B vitamins can help with hair loss so maybe trying a B complex would help.
#3 of 30 Old 09-09-2006, 11:17 PM

Do you have an bald patches or it is thinning all over?

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#4 of 30 Old 09-09-2006, 11:35 PM

Are you particularly stressed? that, in addition to the thyroid, can cause more hair to fall out.
#5 of 30 Old 09-10-2006, 04:59 AM

Are you on hormonal birth control or antidepressants?
#6 of 30 Old 09-10-2006, 01:18 PM

Do you have any digestive issues? Hair loss can go alond with that as the damage in the gut leads to lack of nutrients. Otherwise, poor thyroid function and hormones being out of whack are biggies. I didn't look, you aren't dealing with pp hair loss by any chance? Then it's just normal.

Zinc, B vitamins, iron are all important for hair, skin and nails. MSM is really a great supplement for haor stuff as well.

What is your weird diet? All nutrients work in concert, often it isn't just ONE thing.
#7 of 30 Old 09-10-2006, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not on any meds of any kind except vitamin supplements. I could buy into hormonal imbalances being related though...I am still nursing and do not have AF back since my son's birth. With DD I never got AF back in between having her and getting pg with DS. So I haven't actually had AF since 2002, which is kind of cool but could be causing hormonal weirdness I guess. This is not because of postpartum issues...DS is now over a year old and this has started in the last few months.

No bald patches...just general thinning and my scalp is starting to feel more sensitive. I do have some stress...we are moving soon and I have a deadline for a major product in addition to a fussy toddler...but I wouldn't say it was an unusual amount of stress anymore than the average. But I know stress can deplete B vitamins which was what made me think of that...I started taking a B complex again yesterday.

Digestive issues is why my diet is weird. My kids have got leaky gut issues and are still nursing and I have food sensitivites myself so I have had to cut so many things out of my diet that I got fed up and starting drinking Alpha ENF powder shakes instead of eating 90% of the time. But it's designed specifically to be safe and nutritionally balanced for people who want to do "food holidays" for intestinal cleansing, so this is better nutrition than I was getting of trying to build meals out of fruits and vegetables and white rice. I suspect I have got leaky gut also and am waiting on a food allergy test to confirm what I'm sensitive to and not and then I'm going to try to move back onto eating food most of the time instead of elemental nutrition shakes.

I hadn't thought of it being thyroid related though...hmm. Zinc and iron could also be issues. even though the Alpha ENF has the minimum I could be not absorbing it. I like to avoid docs but maybe I'll have to just suck it up and schedule an appt. with a naturopath and get a blood test.

Thanks for the suggestions!
#8 of 30 Old 09-10-2006, 01:55 PM

You probably already know that if your kids have gut issues you can be pretty darn certain that you do as well. That could be THE reason. Poor gut health can really skew hormones and make nutrients inaccesible. It can also really disrupt thyroid function.

Zinc is essential in repairing gut lining, so I would definitely try that. Depleted stores of B-12 specifically can really be an issue as well. It cannot be absorbed with a damaged gut very well at all. Catch 22 cause you can't heal without it.

I'm not familiar with those shakes, but you may need to abandon them in favor of real food. Synthetic forms of vitamins can actually impair the body's ability to absorb the real ones, and the synthetics aren't nearly as effective.

Real food is your best bet, and you could try doing it in the form of a shake if you're more comfortable with that. There are plenty yummy combinations of nuts, fruits and veggies. A blood test may be a good idea, jsut know that there are some things a blood test MAY not be effective for. If you are getting any B-12 analogs for instance, they will show that your blood level is fine even though it isn't usable by your body. A blood test for calcium is also faulty. Sadly, it is also general knowledge that the standard thyroid test is less than helpful. There are GOOD ways to test though, and a good practitioner should be able to guide you. I hope you find some good answers.
#9 of 30 Old 09-10-2006, 02:01 PM

I just looked it up-why doesn't it tell you what the sources of the vitamins/minerals are? That's pretty important to know...I would especially want to know what form of vitamins A, C, D, and b-12. Not to mention the minerals. How and where are they sourced? Not asking you, just saying they really should provide that info. All if it *could* be completely unusable.
#10 of 30 Old 09-10-2006, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Firefaery, thanks for the advice! I think I spend so much time worrying about DD's gut that I haven't put the thought that I should into my own health.

I know I probably have got gut issues...had a CDSA done six months ago that came back positive for known pathogenic bacteria, even though I wasn't having bowel symptoms at the time. I took abx followed by herbs for that, and I've gone off and on and off the SCD since then but I'm a vegetarian (sensitive to meat as a child plus ethical issues) and I was having issues with dairy, eggs, and nuts causing problems so the Alpha ENF seemed like an easy way out of the constant meal planning issues. : I know I will have to address the gut issues and can't stay on the Alpha ENF forever...I just wanna see the IgG food allergy results before I try to plan a new gut healing diet. I'm kinda thinking the right plan might be SCD + targeted enzymes to handle the worst IgG sensitivities. The problem with trial and error is I seem to have delayed symptoms. When I am eating dairy, for example, I'll feel okay but notice that after a few weeks I am losing my ability to concentrate and starting to suffer mood swings...then I regain my mental acuity again after I cut dairy back out.

The thyroid thing could be a factor. I googled it and I have some other symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I know I have a genetic defect that impairs absorption of folate and B12 so maybe I should be on B12 shots too like DD is...these replies make me pretty sure I probably shouldn't take a DIY route on this as I'd been thinking. I'm moving to WA in a couple of weeks and there were dozens of licensed naturopaths near my soon-to-be hometown...so hopefully one of them will be able to help. Thanks again for the tips!
#11 of 30 Old 09-10-2006, 05:04 PM

Whoa. Definitely find someone in your new residence. As you investigate your children and they begin treatment, I would then have yourself tested on anything they are low/weak in. In fact, perhaps the doc with the B12 shots would administer a couple before you move if you have time in the craziness of moving to do that.

Also, get a basal body thermometer (like women use for charting fertility) and take your temp under your arm (armpit) first thing in the morning. Don't get out of bed to do it. Take it as soon as your eyes open for two weeks. You should be at 97.5 or above. Even a half of a degree lower is low. Take the results to your new doctor if they are low. This is a thyroid indicator. After your take your temp, if your children are still asleep, take theirs too.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#12 of 30 Old 09-10-2006, 07:50 PM
EBG

Hi krissi,
I am losing a ton of hair, too. It has become worse after weaning.
My one year-old has almost more hair than I do.
I have systemic candida. Candida is thought to be behind a lot of issues, like leaky gut and thyroid problems which I have. I am cold and losing hair and have rage issues. All thyroid related.
Leaky gut, eczema and tinea versicolor;this candida really weakend my immune system. With the leaky gut there goes the minerals and vitamins but I think supplementing just B12 or just zinc is not a good idea because of resulting imbalances.
A B complex is better and a mineral supplement, but make sure it's something you can absorb, like a vcap or gelatin cap with minimal additives. And zinc gluconate or picolinate, ot oxide. B12 is better in methylcobalamin but the complexes usually have the other less effective form.
Are you taking cod liver oil?

Whole foods are better. Since you don't eat meat, it would be a good idea to include lots of eggs and bone broths at least, as well as enzymes and probiotics/yogurt or in your case water kefir...

Coconut oil is said to help thyroid problems.

However, I was told (by Bee Wilder-the yahoo candida group) that I shouldn't attempt to treat hypothyroidism separately because it could be dangerous, resulting in imbalances... A healthy whole food diet targets every organ and will heal you even if it takes a long time.

I just hope we'll have hair left by the end....
#13 of 30 Old 09-10-2006, 11:28 PM

I don't know...it's true that you need everything to be in balance, but that presumes you know what you have stores of and what you don't, what you're absorbing and what you aren't. If you have a significant deficiency I don't think it's a bad idea to treat it acutely and level the playing field. Especially with something as scary as a B-12 deficiency. WIth enough of a dief. you may not absorb anything you take orally-even in the methylcobalamin form.

Also-on the thyroid issue: it's very difficult to get enough iodine dietarily. You may need to look past the whole food theory (not that I'm arguing that, you should get as much from food as possible) to correct that. I'm learning alot about the thyroid at the moment :

There is hope. I lost alot of hair last year (?) Once I found the problem (celiac disease) I was able to reverse it. IT's not as thick as it was yet-if it ever will be- but it is better. I still have healing to do. I'll get there, one day. I'm closer than I was yesterday!
#14 of 30 Old 09-11-2006, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

That is a great idea about using the BBT to check for thyroid issues. I have one around someplace from my TTC days of years past so I will give that a try to collect some data. My experience is definitely that the more info I present to the doc the less delay and hassle in figuring out the problem.

My problem with eating whole food has been how on earth to put together a meal. With all of the apparent sensitivities of myself and my kids eliminated, there is nothing left to eat! That was why I went on the Alpha ENF...it eliminated a lot of hassle from my day. I hear you on not taking individual nutrients to create imbalances; hopefully I can get the naturopath I end up seeing to order a Metametrix ION panel or one of those other mega blood/urine tests that does a comprehensive check for nutritional deficiency markers. I'm starting to worry too that if I'm severely deficient in something then maybe DS will be suffering too since I'm still his primary source of nutrition. I'd be surprised if I wasn't deficient in B12 though given my known genetic issue (homozygous MTHFR discovered in a miscarriage workup once upon a time) plus B12 deficiency being common in vegetarians...

Water kefir is an interesting idea. I hadn't heard of that. I wonder if that might help the kiddos too since they don't tolerate any milk except mine...I should go back on cod liver oil too. I was taking it at one point but lost the habit. Thanks again to everyone for the advice!
#15 of 30 Old 09-11-2006, 01:43 PM

I had read that it is actually no more common in vegetarians than it is in omni's-it's vegans that don't really get it dietarily. But with a damaged gut you are at risk no matter what your diet is.
#16 of 30 Old 09-11-2006, 01:51 PM

i'm sorry but i didnt have a chance to read all the replys.

How old is you baby?

my hair also fell out when i had my sons, both times. it started falling when my son was about 4 months. alot fell out but i wasnt bald or anything. i have thick hair, its alot thinner now but i still have alot. it started growing back about 4-5 months later and now in place of the hairs that fell out are hairs about 3 inches long. my baby is turning 1 this month. like i said this happened with both of my sons and it happened to many people i know when their babies turn 4-5 months old but it always grew back. HTH.
#17 of 30 Old 09-11-2006, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

That's the thing...because I now appear sensitive to dairy and eggs, I technically am a vegan by health definitions...although I do use ghee now and then. I've taken multivitamins for years but I don't know how much is getting absorbed.

My son is a year old. I know this type of hair loss can be common postpartum as I had a bout of it with DD and a more minor bout immediately after DS was born, but my recent issues have been heavier and more distressing quantities.
#18 of 30 Old 09-11-2006, 02:01 PM

I don't want to scare you, but hair loss is also a sign of lupus, an autoimmune disorder. I'd look into the dietary and thyroid issues that others suggest, first, before going running off to a rheumatologist, though.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#19 of 30 Old 09-11-2006, 02:42 PM

regardless it ALL comes back to gut health. Autoimmune diseases have been shown to be completely reversed when you heal the gut. This would also help thyroid function and countless other things.

Definitely think about B-12. You *should* have stores that will last years, but here's the thing: stores don't get into breastmilk. You either have to be getting dietarily or supplementally for the babe to get it. Scary, but true.
#20 of 30 Old 09-11-2006, 03:56 PM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
regardless it ALL comes back to gut health. Autoimmune diseases have been shown to be completely reversed when you heal the gut. This would also help thyroid function and countless other things.

Definitely think about B-12. You *should* have stores that will last years, but here's the thing: stores don't get into breastmilk. You either have to be getting dietarily or supplementally for the babe to get it. Scary, but true.
#21 of 30 Old 09-11-2006, 04:13 PM

If you're not eating meat, eggs, nuts or dairy, how are you getting iron in your diet?
Most people, even vegans eat some form of iron, mainly nuts,blackstrap molasses, leafy greens, and kelp. Are you getting any of these, or are you completely relying on the ALpha ENF?

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#22 of 30 Old 09-11-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

I get maybe 20-25mg iron in the Alpha ENF. I feel pretty safe with this powder because it is primarily used by people who have severe digestive problems and the ingredients are hypoallergenic. My parents thought I was nuts at first when I told them of my intention to use the powder for a while...they thought it was like some crazy weight loss scheme, but I've actually gained weight while on this powder and I feel pretty good except the hair loss issue which is probably caused by the underlying gut issues and maybe thyroid. I get totally crabby and spaced out when I try to add food back in in larger quantities than just an evening salad, which is why I'm waiting for the 96-food IgG results to make any further decisions about diet.

That is an interesting thought about lupus also..hmm. I have been positive for lupus anticoagulant antibody in the past (part of a miscarriage workup) and I also have a kidney condition that is associated with lupus. SLE was ruled out at the time but I know it can develop. I've never had the characteristic skin rash though. Even if I had developed lupus though I'm not letting anyone within 10 feet of me with corticosteroids unless it's a matter of life and death, so I'd be going the gut healing route regardless.

I didn't know that about B12...hmm. I wonder if I should have DS tested for deficiency also since he'll be at a minimum heterozygous for my MTHFR mutation and could be inclined toward deficiency also. Regardless I guess a doctor appointment is unavoidable...
#23 of 30 Old 09-11-2006, 09:04 PM

I found this link, don't know if will be helpful or not
http://familydoctor.org/081.xml
I can't remember (I'm on the blood disorders thread too) are you taking anticougulants? I can't remember with your particular disorder. (I think I'm going have to bump the thread anyway )
I hope you figure out whats happening soon. If anything, its probably darn annoying.

#24 of 30 Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 PM

oops! Sorry, I thought for sure that I saw you on the "Women with blood clotting disorders" thread.

#25 of 30 Old 09-12-2006, 10:17 AM

Lupus DOES develop over time. There was an article published in the Oct. 2003 New England Journal of Medicine that explains the changes in antibodies over time. Here is a link to the article:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/...16/1526?ck=nck

There is a full text link on the webpage (for me, but I don't know if you'll be able to access it).

I'd love to hear more about autoimmune diseases/issues and the gut. I don't have any gut issues that I know about...yet I have VERY mild lupus.

krissi - I never have the skin problems, either. My kidneys hurt once in a while, but every urine test turns out fine. They keep telling me for hair loss, but so far it hasn't happened. I've been taking hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) for the past 15 months. It works very well for me and I've been able to reduce my dosage significantly. The only time I was on steroids was for a week, in response to bad kidney pain (it was back before I had the lupus dx.).
So there's more they can do before they jump to steroids.

Acupuncture has also helped me a lot.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#26 of 30 Old 09-12-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Naa, I'm not on the blood clotting disorder thread because I was always led to believe my issue was rather minor. I tested positive for LA once, so I took low-dose aspirin while TTC and while pg. I don't take low-dose aspirin anymore but should probably take fish oil. I haven't followed up on that although I probably ought to, especially since the homozygous MTHFR is supposedly a clotting factor too. But it hasn't been something I've thought much about except during pregnancy.

Lupus could be something to check for too. I had been under the impression that most people with lupus would have the skin rashes, which I haven't ever had to my recollection, but it should be fairly simple to check for ANA to see if it's a factor. I think I read that ANA was positive in 90% of SLE cases...?

I'm just hypersensitive about corticosteroids after dealing with a nephrologist trying to pressure me into doing it as a 9-month course to reduce my moderate proteinuria. Incidentally I have reduced the proteinuria just fine on my own through my low-allergen diet of late, which the nephrologist pooh-poohed away because the study I showed him had only 20 test subjects. His blood pressure pill prescriptions didn't do a thing for me so I stopped taking them and tried it my way and now have way better labs than I ever did when I was seeing him. I haven't gone back to him yet to tell him he was wrong; I've since found several studies linking this kidney condition to leaky gut syndrome. I'm thinking I can probably do even better with a real gut healing regime rather than sensitivity avoidance. There's definitely something to the gut/autoimmune link.
#27 of 30 Old 09-12-2006, 04:43 PM

Absolutely! Just about all autoimmune diseases develop over time, and many believe it is as the lining of the gut degrades. There are many great books and articles on the subject (it is one that is close to my heart, if that wasnt' already clear!)
#28 of 30 Old 09-12-2006, 06:09 PM

I have had significant hair loss and my dd is now 17m. Dr. Andrew Weil, an ND, suggests eating flaxseed (ground) or flax oil, taking Evening Primrose Oil and eating plenty of walnuts, salmon and sardines. I started this about two weeks ago and it is supposed to take 6-8 weeks to begin working. I am not sure if this is even remotely helpful, but I hope you start feeling better, all the same!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#29 of 30 Old 09-12-2006, 10:03 PM

I just scanned this thread, so sorry if this is a repeat...

Is there soy in that shake? That could be the reason. Soy messes with your thyroid something awful and also impedes absorption of other minerals.
#30 of 30 Old 09-13-2006, 02:17 AM

Back again!
oddly enough, I'm reading about about food intolerances. It doesn't mention hair loss (so far!) but I thought you might find it interesting since you are working on finding out food allergies, sensitives etc
Its called " Your food allergies are making you fat" by Rudy Rivera and Roget D. Deutsch.
They advocate the ALCAT test to find out your food intolerances. Interesting read so far. Have you read it, or had an ALCAT test? If you have, ignore
Oh and Lupus skin rashes are apparently triggered by sunlight. The sun damage causes the Lupus to attack the skin? HTH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page