Mothering Forum banner

10 mo dd w/ cough, congestion, runny nose...rememdies?

432 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Panserbjorne 
#1 ·
Hi. My dd is 10 months old and has a minor cold (or so it seems!) She has a little cough and some serious congestion. Also, her nose is runny (tmi here, but it's rather yellowish.) She had a fever last weekend, but is cutting three teeth. She really is acting just fine, just sometimes looks a bit more tired than usual. She's sleeping fine, other than the occasional cough not long after she goes down for the night. Do we just let this run its course, no interventions? She's still nursing well, eating well. Are there things I could be doing to help it move along? Her breathing can sound so terrible because of the congestion (usually when she's lying down, playing.)

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
SInce vitamin C has been discussed a lot latelly I'd suggest that. Try Hyland's vitamin C - it's in form of sodium ascorbate and it desolve quickly in your mouth. It has sodium ascorbate in it - which will give your DD very quick imunity boost. YOu have to give her very high dose to achieve quick results.

#3 ·
Combine what Pavlina recommended with some aromatherapy. sandalwood, rosemary and eucalyptus can all be used for congestion. Put the oil of choice in her bath and in an atomizer when she sleeps. I also tend to put it on their clothes during the day. Tom's of Maine Chest Rub is fabulous, but discontinued. IF you can find backstock, SNAG IT! Otherwise I would not do much. It's very important for little bodies to develop immunity. If she isn't uncomfortable (and it were my kid) I would leave it alone for the most part. The oils can just be helpful right before and during sleep as the mucus will pool in the head at that time.

#5 ·
I've found that taking my baby into the shower with me (warm enough to be comfortable for me, but not as hot as I'd normally have it) works really well to loosen everything up. My little guy has a cold right now and that's what I did this morning....it caused him to cough up a lot of the mucous that was annoying him and he's only coughed a couple times since (after a really hellish night last night).

You may find it helpful to know that colds usually peak between 3 and 5 days of the onset of the first symptoms. If you get past that, it's downhill from there.

#6 ·
Thanks so much for your replies! DD still has congestion, but I *think* it's lessening. We sat in the bathroom this morning while dh showered. Later in the day I was at the vanity in the bathroom and dd crawled on over to the doorway, looked at the shower curtain and said "Da?" It was sooooo cute. I'm like "No, sweetie, Da-Da's not still in the shower."
:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.