Damaged vocal chords in newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-04-2003, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had a baby on Saturday, March 29th. Several of the nurses were very concerned about his cry. It is a weak cry, and he usually starts out sounding like he's coughing and then it's more of a squeek and he struggles to actually cry. They did put a tube down his throat right after he was born to suction out his lungs. They did this twice. I'm wondering if they damaged his vocal chords when they did this. The Pediatrician said he may just have a soft spot on his vocal chords and they might not be fully developed yet. I've also read about paralyzed vocal chords which could have something to do with a stretched nerve during delivery. This seems to be a more serious condition. We had an unmedicated birth, and he was pushed out in 10 minutes without any vacumn or other help.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this? I'm just concerned about waiting to see if it gets better, since from what I have read it seems to be critical that a diagnosis is made soon, if it is the nerve problem. Our Pediatrician said to give it a couple of weeks to see if it would get better.

Does anyone know anything about why they would have to suction his lungs? I know they did get some fluid out. I don't think there was meconium (sp?) because my water was clear when it was leaking. I'm just wondering if it was really necessary to suction him. What would have happened if they hadn't?

Thanks for any info anyone has to offer.
#2 of 3 Old 04-04-2003, 10:59 PM

I can't believe that the nurses and ddoctors are not seeing the connection between having somethng jammed down his throat and his voice sounding funny. I don't mean to be harsh, but that's just a big "DUH!"
My dd was on a vent after birth, and it is expected that kids who are will have a recovery period where their vocal cords sound strained. She sounded liek a kitten at first- it was so sad. But eventually they got better. If they suctioned him with a dilli tube, there alomst surely was meconium present. Sometimes it doesn't show when you're water breaks. It's not something that's really routine, from what I have heard. My dd also had severe meconium, and I knwo it's scarrey- but she almsot died from it. It is a very serious thing. Give your little guy some time to recover, a few weeks isn't really going to make a big difference in treatment if there is nerve problem.
#3 of 3 Old 04-05-2003, 04:23 AM

just for info - when you have a breathing tube placed it does go between the vocal cords but when a suction tube is inserted it does not go past the vocal cords. There should be no damage from a simple suction catheter. I don't know what else might have been done but that would not cause it. Hope that helps! :*)

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page