Sores in Corners of mouth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-25-2006, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For years now, I occasionally get sores in the corners of my mouth, right where my upper and lower lips join. Sometimes it's just on one side, usually it's both. They're somewhat sore and make it hard to open my mouth. Lately, I seem to get them whenever I'm about to get AF. This time, I've not been able to get rid of them. I've heard they can be a sign of riboflavin, iron, or B6 deficiency, so I've been taking supplements, but they're still not going away. I eat very well, too. Anyone have advice? It's going on 2 months now with no improvement.

TIA.
#2 of 9 Old 09-25-2006, 03:18 PM

I get them once in awhile, too. After some research it seems they are yeast-related. I got some liquid acidophilus at the health food store and applied it to the corners of my mouth three times a day or so and it was always gone within the week.

Taking extra acidophilus or pro-biotics around your period may help prevent it.
#3 of 9 Old 09-25-2006, 03:58 PM

I would suspect yeast, too. My partner had the same thing. The dentist prescribed an anti-fungal.
#4 of 9 Old 09-25-2006, 05:29 PM

l-lysine has always worked for me. Just a single tablet can stop a sore.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 9 Old 09-25-2006, 07:48 PM

Great, thanks fpr the info. I have these too AND a yeast condition presently!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#6 of 9 Old 09-26-2006, 01:05 AM

I had them as well and they were related to having Crohn's. As soon as I got that under control, they went away. Now I get them mainly when I have a flare up, which seems to happen when I eat chocolate, drink pop, or lots of coffee.
#7 of 9 Old 09-26-2006, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all! Several months ago I tried treating them with an anti-fungal, thinking yeast, and had no luck. But I'll try again. Maybe it was the particular stuff I used.

Hazelnut, I'm really curious about the link between the sores and diet/nutrition. I'm noticing that the sores tend to go hand-in-hand with migranes, colds, and general crappy feeling. I'm also thinking of testing for Celiac's. My twins are going to be tested, and I'm wondering about myself. Since Celiac's (and I assume Crohn's) affect absorption of nutrients, it makes sense that it would all be related.
#8 of 9 Old 09-26-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane's4 View Post
Thank you all! Several months ago I tried treating them with an anti-fungal, thinking yeast, and had no luck. But I'll try again. Maybe it was the particular stuff I used.

Hazelnut, I'm really curious about the link between the sores and diet/nutrition. I'm noticing that the sores tend to go hand-in-hand with migranes, colds, and general crappy feeling. I'm also thinking of testing for Celiac's. My twins are going to be tested, and I'm wondering about myself. Since Celiac's (and I assume Crohn's) affect absorption of nutrients, it makes sense that it would all be related.

My Crohn's affects my entire digestive tract, including my mouth. Whenever I eat something my body can't tolerate, it makes the sores appear. I think it is different for each person. I take probiotics and I don't have to take any prescription meds. It was a trial and error process to find out what was bothering me, but it worked wonders after I discovered my problematic foods.
#9 of 9 Old 09-26-2006, 12:47 PM

My partner gets those sometimes... we always thought that it was a B vitamin deficiancy. His clear up right away when he take a muli B vitamin. Hence why you would get it when you are run down or stressed... that is when your body needs more Bs

:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page