Updated pics, toddler rash getting worse...PLEASE help!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2006, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd get in to a naturopath ASAP....maybe a dermatologist in the meantime. You may need a referral to get you in to a derm in a decent amount of time, BTW.

Jenn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to call both a dermatologist AND a naturopath first thing Monday morning.

He woke up this morning at 5 am and couldn't go back to sleep because it was itching. It's so odd, the itching only nothers him when he's trying to sleep, he never scratches otherwise.

Yesterday the ped said "if he was scratching it I'd diagnose it differently" . Of course the morning after, he starts scratching...
Old 09-30-2006, 12:43 PM

Poor babe. I hope he gets some relief soon. At least it hasn't been bothering him all day, I guess.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Old 10-01-2006, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

So another BAD night last night. He woke up at midnight and was up until 4 scratching.

I can't wait until tomorrow morning when I can call the dermatologist. Sure hope they can get us in ASAP. Surely a pediatric dermatologist is used to fitting people in??
Old 10-01-2006, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Learning View Post
See, I was wondering if it could be that. (hoping really) It's just so odd that it's on his legs instead of his torso.

I'm going to give it a couple more days to see what happens....
Roseola blanches, isn't that shiny, and is usually fainter and more spread. Looks like poison ivy or oak to me. It could just be a viral rash, though. DD#1 has had several odd ones, but never looking like that.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 10-01-2006, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamao'two View Post
My best bet is Fifth's Disease. That's what it looks like to me. Perhaps set an appointment with a dermatologist and see if you can get in ASAP.
Fifth's is usually on the bum, and has a slapped cheek look. I had fifth's not too long ago, and it usually is more spread.

http://images.google.com/images?q=fi...m=10&hl=en&lr=

Roseola:

http://images.google.com/images?q=ro...m=10&hl=en&lr=

Usually when I would get ivy, it would not blister and weep. Only rarely. And mostly if I scratched.

Is there usually a lot of pressure where his rash is? i.e. pant cuffs, dipe pressure, laying on that part more. Because that would be why it is concentrated. I know hives tend to concentrate where there is pressure. Does the rash move around at all or change?

I would be suspicious of the Motrin and mention that to the doc. Hope the appt. goes well.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 10-01-2006, 04:48 PM

(sorry, don't know why this triple posted)!
Old 10-01-2006, 05:11 PM

(sorry again!)
Old 10-01-2006, 05:11 PM

I would definitely get into a Naturopath and Dermatologist as soon as you can. Poor little guy!

Is he in good spirits, normal behaviour etc otherwise? Does he have any other symptoms? I would be more concerned if he also had a fever or puffy eyes for example, or if the rash was turning to blisters.

Tell your Dr. he is scratching at home, don't down play it. I would like to hear what he would diagnosis it as! Maybe even go to a walk-in clinic if you can and see what another Dr. would say.

Also, again, I'm no doc, but I believe petechiae are small pin-head like tiny broken blood vessels, (sometimes from straining, severe coughing, vomiting - I have done much research on this b/c I have had them all over my torso since my first delivery). When you said he woke up with a small petechiae "the size of a quarter", did you mean one big one, or a cluster of small ones? If it's one big one the size of a quarter, that sounds more like Purpura, which can be a symptom of something much more serious. Purpura are larger areas of bleeding under the skin, (i.e. bigger than 5mm). If he has Purpura and a fever, I pesonally would take him to Emerg. Not to alarm you, but Petechiae that appear during illness, particularly with a fever can be a sign of infection in the blood, which can escalate quickly and could mean Meningococcus. Sudden onset of Purpura are not normal.

Note: if it's petechiae, (the small ones - 1-5mm) it's less serious, and this apparently can also be caused by an allergic reaction.

Interesting, taken from Motrin's website on allergic reactions to Children's Motrin.
Allergy alert: Ibuprofen may cause a severe allergic reaction, especially in people allergic to aspirin. Symptoms may include:
hives
facial swelling
asthma (wheezing)
shock
skin reddening
rash
blisters

From Healthsquare.com, on Motrin (I added bolding):
What side effects may occur?
Return to top

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Motrin.

More common side effects may include:
Abdominal cramps or pain, abdominal discomfort, bloating and gas, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, fluid retention and swelling, headache, heartburn, indigestion, itching, loss of appetite, nausea, nervousness, rash, ringing in ears, stomach pain, vomiting

Less common or rare side effects may include:
Abdominal bleeding, anemia, black stool, blood in urine, blurred vision, changes in heartbeat, chills, confusion, congestive heart failure, depression, dry eyes and mouth, emotional volatility, fever, hair loss, hearing loss, hepatitis, high or low blood pressure, hives, inability to sleep, inflammation of nose, inflammation of the pancreas or stomach, kidney or liver failure, severe allergic reactions, shortness of breath, skin eruptions or peeling, sleepiness, stomach or upper intestinal ulcer, ulcer of gums, vision loss, vomiting blood, wheezing, yellow eyes and skin

Kathy.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:44 PM

it looked like my sons eczma till the last 2 pictures

could it be an allergic reaction to something?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again everyone.

It was a small area of petechiae, tiny cluster of red dots. That has gone away thankfully.

The doc did look at that Friday and said it doesn't look like meningococcus.

It continues to spread. I have been using Calmine lotion on it and it helps the look of it, but it continues to spread.

I'm calling the pediatric dermatologist first thing in the am and begging them to see him tomorrow.

Right now I suspect an allergic reaction or poison ivy.

I have a feeling this is going to be a loooong road to a diagnosis.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:05 PM

how frustrating
Old 10-01-2006, 07:20 PM

Wow, mama, I'm sorry your still dealing with this.

Even when my scratching was at it's worst, and the worst case of Posion Ivy I ever had, it was getting better by 7-10 days. Still spreading into some very small patches (which would last another 7-10 days for me) but the large patches were drying up, and scabbing over (from scratching). Thoes unopend, would just kinda of dissapear on their own after about a week.

I hope you can get into the derm. tomorrow.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 10-01-2006, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

So tomorrow will be 3 full weeks. I noticed the rash developing on the 11th....

I'll let you all know if I get an appt in the morning.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh. The dermatologist can't see him until teh 17th and the naturopath is closed on Mondays.....
Old 10-02-2006, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

I called the only other pediatric derm in the area and they can't see him for 2 weeks either. WTH are people supposed to do????
Old 10-02-2006, 03:22 PM

My dd had a rash on her hands last yr and she ended up with a petechia like rash on her fingers. We seen everyone and my wait to get into a Derm was crazy I threw a fit lol. need less to say the rash went away and never really know what it was i am thinking it was a chemical reaction and ezcema I can post pictures to you ifyou want it might help you

amy
Old 10-02-2006, 04:06 PM

What about scabies? My (30+yo) sister just got DX with them-sounds like what you are describing! (She got them from her Doc BF who MISDIAGNOSED them! lol)

Not many other rashes of this type last so long either. Look it up online and see if it is a possibility! Good luck!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:39 PM

I looked at your pictures and then at my own body, I would say it's poison ivy. I have PI right now. And if we compared pics they would be practically identical. I haven't found relief with the cortisone creams, I am actually waiting for the Lactation Consultant to call back with the classification of a few antihistimines for the itch. I have tried 'everything' The only thing that has worked so far (that I can safely take while nursing) is to slather the ivy rash with cool water, then make a baking soda paste on top of it. That has really helped the itch. I agree that the oil from the plant can get everywhere. My husband actually got a couple spots on him from our bedding. Not cool. I would really be careful.

Has anyone in your neighborhood been burning brush lately, if they had any in their pile, the oil could have become airborne and made it into your yard.

Good luck. I second the pp's about getting a second opinion. Is there a walkin clinic you could visit. I went to one over the weekend and the D.O. there was great.

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:29 PM

Any update on the rash?
Old 10-03-2006, 10:37 PM

I don't know. It looks like PI but it would be getting less right now and not getting worse.

It doesn't seem like an allergic reaction either.

Man, I hope your family gets some relief soon!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
Old 10-06-2006, 12:32 AM

Still Learning, how is your little guy doing?

Kathy.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:37 AM

That looks like yeast to me.
Hope you get a result soon!!
hugs!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'sMama View Post
I am actually waiting for the Lactation Consultant to call back with the classification of a few antihistimines for the itch. I have tried 'everything' .
Jewel Weed Tincture!!

And OP :

I'm so sorry mama!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 10-06-2006, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for sticking with this.

I'm more confused than ever.

Rash, still spreading, although doesn't look as bad now that I'm using calamine lotion instead of moisturizers.

We saw a holistic doctor on Tuesday. He said if it's not gone in 2 weeks, to come in again (seems like 2 weeks is a magic number with doctors...)

I just put a call in to him this morning and am waitin to hear back. I now have a itchy rash on 2 of my fingers.

I do have some jewelweed salve I've been putting on a few of DS's spots and haven't seen a great improvement, but it's only been a day of use.

I feel like it's poison ivy, but am doubting myself because TWO doctors failed to diagnose it ....
Old 10-06-2006, 12:52 PM

And it is NOT scabies? They last long, often start between toes and fingers, etc.

Worth a try to get checked!
Old 10-06-2006, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Holistic doc called back and said he really doesn't think it's poison ivy. Said it just doesn't look like it. hmm..

There are none of those red lines they say you have with scabies.

Where in the world would he have gotten scabies?? He's with me 24/7...

A possibily I will look into for sure!!
Old 10-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Hey Still:

Where exactly did your son's rash start? And what areas are involved now? Is there any rash in his hip flexor/groin area or armpit?

Wondering about something called "Asymmetric Periflexural Exanthem of Childhood," which usually starts in an armpit, but can start in a groin crease or leg as well. It causes an itchy, spreading rash that lasts several weeks and is mostly on one side of the body. Nobody knows what causes it (probably some kind of virus) and it goes away on its own:

http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=1919&UID=
http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic942.htm

I'd also by thinking about pityriasis rosea (another mysterious itchy rash probably related to a virus). It's usually more symmetrically distributed, however:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20040101/87.html
Old 10-06-2006, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeIshmael View Post
Hey Still:

Where exactly did your son's rash start? And what areas are involved now? Is there any rash in his hip flexor/groin area or armpit?

Wondering about something called "Asymmetric Periflexural Exanthem of Childhood," which usually starts in an armpit, but can start in a groin crease or leg as well. It causes an itchy, spreading rash that lasts several weeks and is mostly on one side of the body. Nobody knows what causes it (probably some kind of virus) and it goes away on its own:

http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=1919&UID=
http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic942.htm

I'd also by thinking about pityriasis rosea (another mysterious itchy rash probably related to a virus). It's usually more symmetrically distributed, however:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20040101/87.html
Thank you!! Although the rash looks abit different, those are the most similar symptoms to his that I've seen!!

I have much more confidence that the doctors are right about it being a virus after reading those. THANK YOU!!!! He may have one a bit different, but seeing the similarities really puts me at ease.

The first doctor mistakenly told me it would be cleared up in 2 weeks. When I called the holistic doctor he also told me that a virus wouldn't cause a rash to last this long. BUT, they both said it's a virus. So naturally, I was a bit confused.

I am very relieved after reading those links. They both said that the rash will resolve by 6-8 weeks. We're approaching his 4th rashy week, so maybe the end will be soon...

How in the word did you find that info??

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:19 PM

Hey Stillearning, how is your son doing? Did they get to the bottom of it?
Kathy.

User Tag List