Updated pics, toddler rash getting worse...PLEASE help!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 09-26-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So DS's rash is getting worse and spreading. The doc said he thinks it's just the after effects of a virus he had last week, but I'm sceptical.

The last 2 pics are from today. You can see how much worse it's gotten in just days.
(I had just slathered him in coconut before taking the pics today, that's why he's all shiney) It is itchy and red and raised and rough. It started as small red bumps over 2 weeks ago.

Any ideas?

http://public.fotki.com/NeedSleep/jakes_rash/
#2 of 60 Old 09-26-2006, 06:26 PM

I have no ideas. But here's a bump for ya.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#3 of 60 Old 09-26-2006, 06:33 PM

That's what I look like when I get poision ivy. I've gotten it from direct contact, my dh, and my cat. So, I'd suggest jewel weed tincture which you can use topically (I used it while pregnant after my mw gave it to me)

((hugs))

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#4 of 60 Old 09-26-2006, 08:06 PM

Does it blanch (turn white) when you press on it? If not, you need to take him to the ER right away as it might be meningococcal related, although he has had it for a while now... Either way, you should have it looked at since it's not getting better. It sure looks a lot like my babe's diaper rashes, though. I'd put triple paste on it.

I hope it's not bothering him too much!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#5 of 60 Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That *really* looks like poison ivy to me. You said it's itchy, right? Perhaps he keeps brushing up against it, the oil from the plant can remain on things for a while, like if he got it on his carseat, shoes, etc. Mine starts out as a couple of bumps & continues to pop up for a week or so in different places. I don't think I keep getting reinfected, I think it just takes a while for it to pop up in different areas of the body.

That second to last one, where he's all shiny from the coconut oil *really* looks like it to me.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 60 Old 09-26-2006, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm..... wouldn't the doctor have recognized it as poison ivy? I took him Thursday (the first set of pics)

I've never had poison ivy, so I no idea what it looks like.

I called teh doc yesterday and told him it's getting worse, but he said to just continue watching it, that he thinks it's viral.

What would you do?? What would you put on it?? Where can I get jewel weed ?
#7 of 60 Old 09-26-2006, 10:26 PM

They can miss Anything. I had chicken pox when I was 16 and the dr. misdiagnosed it.

Is there anyway you can email your dr. the latest pics?

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#8 of 60 Old 09-26-2006, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'm gonna call him in the morning and ask about emailing him a picture.
#9 of 60 Old 09-26-2006, 11:10 PM

My first thought was poison ivy as well. Oatmeal baths feel really good on that. And I second the fact that the oils can stay on things (cats, clothes, etc.) for ages, and I'll also add that I'm not convinced that the seepage from the bumps can't spread the rash. Just my 2 cents. I just found poison ivy in my sister's front flower bed amidst her ground cover, right next to her front door. It's becoming a huge problem in some areas for some reason. And it's rather a nuisance plant (hard to get rid of). Good luck finding the source of his rash, and getting it cleared up.
#10 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I don't know if it's itchy. He grabs at it when he wakes up, but that's it.

(He's 2 btw) He's never been one to scratch at bug bites though, so I have no idea of it's itchy.
#11 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 AM

Looks like poison ivy to me. At least, that's what mine used to look like.
#12 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 12:12 AM

I think I would insist on a culture to see what it is.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#13 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'm now certain it's bothering him. He can't sleep ata ll tonight, been tossing and turning and slapping at his legs.

Guess the poor fella just hasn't learned to scratch yet. Guess that's a good thing really...

Gonna give him an oatmeal bath first thing tomorrow and then ork on drying this up instead of oiling it up as I have been.

Ugh, I'm so frustrated that I had no idea this could be poison ivy. I was making it crazy worse putting oils on it....
#14 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 05:16 AM

I don't know anything about poison ivy...but my nephew had a bad diaper rash like that and we followed grandpa's advise and put "Nupercainal" on it. I found it at Walgreens with the preperation-h, etc. It said not to use on kids under 2 but we didn't see that till after...anyway it seemed to give him releaf right away, then it cleared up within a day-day 1/2.
There's my 2 pennies!
Good Luck!
#15 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

So it's not oozy or seaping or anything like that. Wouldn't poison ivy do that? (please forgive my ignorance!!)
#16 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Learning View Post
So it's not oozy or seaping or anything like that. Wouldn't poison ivy do that? (please forgive my ignorance!!)
Maybe, maybe not. Usually seeping occurs when blisters form on top of blisters. Any luck getting ahold of his ped?
#17 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Rana View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Usually seeping occurs when blisters form on top of blisters. Any luck getting ahold of his ped?

Not yet, left him a message, you know how that goes, he'll call me about 5pm....
#18 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 12:51 PM

How bout impetigo? My dd has a rash JUST like that and that is what the DR dx it as. We had to use antibiotics to clear it up... but now its back. The Dr thinks dd harbours the basteria in her nose or on her bum. It started as poison Ivy and then went on to become impetigo.
#19 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Doc says I can bring him back in if I want, but he really feels it's viral.

That just doesn't make sense to me....viral rashes strat on your torso,this is on his legs. Plus, it's getting worse 2 weeks after he had the virus.

I just don't know.

I almost bout some poison ivy stuff for 40 bucks, but it said not recommended for rashes that weren't poison ivy, so I decided to wait...

I'm gonna try and take him to a naturopath and see what he says....
#20 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 01:07 PM

Could it be scarlet fever? That is a rash on the torso and can spread to the legs. Seems like that can sometimes come on after a cold (virus). I had it once when I was in high school, but I can't remember the details of it.

I would definitely try a naturopath.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#21 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 06:45 PM

Looks like my daughters Roseola rash. This generally comes a week after the virus.
#22 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterBee View Post
Looks like my daughters Roseola rash. This generally comes a week after the virus.

See, I was wondering if it could be that. (hoping really) It's just so odd that it's on his legs instead of his torso.

I'm going to give it a couple more days to see what happens....
#23 of 60 Old 09-27-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Learning View Post
My poision ivy never oozes or seeps, that's usually poision oak or sumac. However I get PI very badly when I get it. It gets on me from one spot, and even if I wash it right away, I get it EVERYWHERE.

I have had the best luck with Cortizone creams, but if it's in a high contact area, I end up applying about 10 times a day.

Jewel Weed Tincture - which my midwife gave me while I was pregnant. I used it topically. I gave some to my dad about a week later and for both of us it was cleared up by day 3 of use. You can use this on bug bites or other itchy rashes too. You can also ingest it, though I don't remember how much my MW suggested for it. And she mentioned that if I had taken it orally, that I would become "immune" to poision ivy. I managed NOT to get it this year though, so I won't be able to test that until next year.

I'm not sure what you looked at in the drug store, but there is another good product called "Technu" which you can use both immediatly after contact, or after the rash has developed. Use it as a soap. Rinse the area, rub the technu on it for about 2 minutes, and rinse off. Careful not to scratch. They also have a itch relief product but I can't remember the name of it.I got it in a 2 pack (technu wash and the topical stuff)

I hope your Ped has called you back!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#24 of 60 Old 09-28-2006, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much everyone.

Ped did call back and said to just keep wathcing it and suggested cortisone cream.

I gave him 3 oatmeal baths today and kept Calimine lotion on it. Although it is still spreading, it's looking a bit less angry.

I have a sample of the jewelweed on the way!!
#25 of 60 Old 09-28-2006, 01:51 AM

That looks exactly like something my DD had when she was about a year old! It started with little red bumps and then they filled in to make a raised, red and rough rash. It changed in appearance as the days went by and spread all over her torso but I wasn't that worried. My husband insisted we see the Ped. I predicted he would tell us it was unexplained dermatitis and that's exactly what he said and to use cortisone cream

Anyway it eventually went away and didn't come back. I wouldn't freak out about it if she has no other symptoms that would indicate a larger problem. Sometimes kids just get mysterious little illnesses and their bodies take care of it on their own.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#26 of 60 Old 09-29-2006, 10:09 AM

Hi Mama, I had poison ivy for the first time this summer and used apple cider vinegar on it - it stung a little at first, then it cleared up a couple of days later. My rash was on my forearem and was much smaller than your little guy's. I would try that. I've seen ACV recommended here several times for chicken pox (that it dries up the sores), so I thought I would try it and it worked great. I only used it once. You might need to use it a few more times since his rash is a little bigger. Mine stoped itching very soon after I applied it.

I agree with you that it's probably not viral - it should've started on his torso, or at least spread there by now!

Good luck!

Melissa

ETA - I agree with Laura in the post above mine that kids get odd things every now and then. I find the less intervention, usually the better. My ds is 2 1/2 and had two or three rashes last winter (I think they were all viral). I finally took him to the doc (D.O.) after the last one just to make sure it wasn't anythink I should worry about. That time it was roseola...
#27 of 60 Old 09-29-2006, 04:27 PM

I know how scary it can be with unknown rashes, they seem like a symptom of everything.

I had impitego, it was more crusty and yellow/pussy, (sorry, TMI I know).

I am not a doctor, but I *believe* mennengococcol (sp?) is more bruised looking.

It's interesting that it seems to be a ring around his leg, was this by chance a cuff of a pair of shorts or can you think of anything that came in contact with that area of his leg?

This website goes through a number of questions/diagnosis about rashes, but I couldn't find one that fit your little guy. http://familydoctor.org/545.xml.

This is another good site I like: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003220.htm. You can find "rash" under "R". From what I've read and the pics, it really seems like poison ivy/oak/sumac. I sometimes give antihistamine (children's Benadryl) for allergic reactions. It can apparently calm the itch if it is an allergic reaction of some sort. I hate giving medication, but if your child needs sleep, it can help.

Skin rashes can also be as a result of an allergic reaction to medication - did he take medication when he was sick?

Good luck mamma, keep us posted!
Kathy.
#28 of 60 Old 09-29-2006, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

He took Motrin a few times when he was sick, but nothing else.

I took him back to the ped today because he woke up with a small petechiae are (about the size of a quarter).

Doc still thinks it's nothing to worry about and will go away on it's own.
He said that since DS isn't scratching, he doesn't think it's poison ivy or an allergic reaction.

I told him that DS woke up and asked me to take his pants off last night. That I've never seen him scratch ANYTHING, even bug bites, so he's not one to scratch.

I just don't know.

It has spread to his underarm, belly and calves on both legs.
#29 of 60 Old 09-29-2006, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

So monkeybum has got me thinking.

Could this be a reaction to the Motrin?? He's had it in the past, but never 2 nigths in a row.
#30 of 60 Old 09-29-2006, 06:23 PM

My best bet is Fifth's Disease. That's what it looks like to me. Perhaps set an appointment with a dermatologist and see if you can get in ASAP.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page