Blocked tear ducts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-28-2006, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 8 month old has had blocked tear ducts (both eyes) since birth and they gradually seem to be getting worse. I'm taking him to the doctor today because I'm sure his right eye is infected (yellow/green and thick discharge).

Any other moms BTDT? Did you have the "probing" to clear/open the duct?
#2 of 7 Old 09-28-2006, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-shine01 View Post
My 8 month old has had blocked tear ducts (both eyes) since birth and they gradually seem to be getting worse. I'm taking him to the doctor today because I'm sure his right eye is infected (yellow/green and thick discharge).

Any other moms BTDT? Did you have the "probing" to clear/open the duct?
My second son had clogged tear ducts since birth. The best way to keep it from getting irritated and gooey was to wipe them clean frequently. There were other things I tried but just keeping his eyes clean was best and yes I had to wash his eyes open after sleep with a warm washcloth for a long time. Since it wasn't life-threatening I felt it would be better to let his body grow out of it. I felt the trauma from a procedure far outweighed the benefit. He continued to have problems up until 1st grade and then it went away.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#3 of 7 Old 09-28-2006, 11:15 PM

My ds had a clogged duct from birth until about 6 months. I would keep his eye clean with a warm washcloth and I would massage the area between his eye and nose. One morning he woke up and his tear duct was suddenly unclogged.

Mom to DS March '05 and : DD Feb. '08
#4 of 7 Old 09-28-2006, 11:25 PM

Well, this may sound strange but...when my son's tear duct got plugged when he was an infant my Pediatrician told me to squeeze a couple drops of breastmilk in it every time I nursed.

So, I thought it sounded a bit odd but I tried it and either it worked or it got better on it's own...can't say for sure!
#5 of 7 Old 09-29-2006, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Somedays he wakes up with both eyes "sealed" shut and I have to wipe them open with a warm cloth but just recently the discharge has gotten worse and the under eye area kind of looks raw and bright pink so it looks scary to me. I'll just see how it goes but I do want to avoid the proceedure to fix the problem.
#6 of 7 Old 09-29-2006, 01:46 AM

My doctor told me breastmilk squirt in the eyes every few hours. Breakmilk is anti-bacterial and anti-viral. I had to do it for about 6 weeks but after getting over the wierdness, it was no big deal. DD didn't mind at all and it had a dramatic effect (short term) in terms of lessening the swelling and decreasing the discharge.
#7 of 7 Old 09-29-2006, 11:00 AM

I third the recommendation for breastmilk in the eye, it does wonders!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page