Help, Gunky Eye in 2 year old! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-29-2006, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 (almost 3) year old had some gunk in his eyes yesterday, but not much. He woke up this morning with both eyes crusted shut. He normally gets eye discharge when he had a sinus cold; he is just getting over one.

I usually just put breast milk in them and keep them clean, but I'm preg with #2 and can't get any breast milk out. I HATE those drops the Dr's prescribe (I swear it makes it worse).

Any ideas? Suggestions? I am putting him in to a warm bath right now to help decrust the eyes, but what can i put in them in case it's an infection?

Kathy.
#2 of 6 Old 09-29-2006, 12:06 PM

Going from memory here - there are three different kinds of conjuntivitis. Bacteria, which the drops will help with (Cyloxan?), viral, which is probably due to sinus infection, or injury, like you've worn your contacts too much. If you call the Doctor, they're just going to prescribe drops. I've never had one actually swab for the bacteria. It was years before I realized that my conjuntivitis was usually due to injury (wearing my contacts too long) and that it made no difference if I used drops in the time it took to clear it up.

You can just keep putting lukewarm compresses over his eyes to keep them clear. Also try massaging the tear dust and sinus area, in outward motions (towards your pinkies). Running the humidifier may help.

I've had success with the homeopathic medicine - I think it's called Bright Eyes?
#3 of 6 Old 09-29-2006, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone else have suggestions/experience?

Thanks Burgundy! I had him in a bath and put warm water on his eyes, that cleared them up. He's been fine most of the day, no crusties after nap, just slightly red puffy eyes (not much, just like he'd been crying) and slight discharge, mostly white which he's either cried out (when we had to leave the store today or when he couldn't have chocolate for dinner) or wiped away on his own.

There seems to be a little more discharge this evening as the night wears on.

Anyone else have any other ideas? I really think it's just part of his (and now my) sinus infection. I really want to know how I can clear this up. It's so frustrating not having my built-in antbacterial (aka breastmilk) available in ready supply!! Burgundy, tomorrow I will look for your Bright Eyes suggestion thanks!!

I have to keep him home from Preschool unless I send him with the eye ointment - ugh, I don't want to put him through that. Unfortunately I have a really busy week and hope he can go to Preschool Monday, (which he loves).

Kathy.
#4 of 6 Old 09-30-2006, 12:05 PM

I wouldn't send him to preschool until he's entirely cleared up. Even if it's not contagious... it's not fair to the teacher to have to keep cleaning it up, and the other kids may become grossed out by it.

Did you try massage? Just gently push from his nose across the cheekbones towards the ears, and also on his tear ducts towards the pinkies.
#5 of 6 Old 10-01-2006, 01:22 AM

My sons have that right now (well, one is over it, the other just got it), In our case it is bacterial and I think the crusting is usually a sign of bacteria. The viral ones have less discharge and it is usually white or clearish and doesn't crust. Still, he doesn't have to take anything--though it would clear up a little faster with antibiotic drops. I'm not using them and one guys cleared up in two days. I think it is normally 5 to 7 and I am treating him like he is still contagious--which for us means no contact with other kids and very frequent had washing. I'm using warm water cloths. I read silver can be used in the eyes too so that is another idea.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 6 Old 10-01-2006, 01:29 AM

Get a Rue Fennel tincture from Whole Foods and an empty tincture bottle. Fill the empty bottle with saline and add 4-5 drops of the Rue Fennel. That stuff works better than antibiotics to kill eye infections. It's been a life saver over the years. And if the skin right by the eye gets a little pink from it dripping out it's totally fine and doesn't sting or hurt anything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page