labial adhesion treatment- alternatives to premarin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2006, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, dd has a labial adhesion. It is all the way closed up but she can pee fine. Her pedi has prescribed her premarin but I am waaaaaay not comfortable putting that on her so I am looking for alternative treatments. I know that I can do nothing and just let nature take it's course which I am fine with, but is there a non hormone treatment I could do? What is a natural substitute for vaseline? We use cloth diapers so a&d ointment is out. I can get liners to put in her cloth diapers if I need to. Her pedi said hers was pretty severe so I don't want it to get any worse. TIA!

Melanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 03:34 PM

DD2 just had this too. I read that evening primrose oil can help. I don't know if it'll actually help open it up or not.

I did not want to do the estrogen cream either but I did it in *teeny, tiny* amounts each night and last night the membrane was entirely gone. It took about 3 weeks I think.

I opted for the estrogen because her membrane was closing over more and more and I was worried.

I have also read that if a child has it once, the likelihood of it adhereing again is high. We'll see.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:50 AM

My Dr. said to just leave it alone. The stuff I read said that it will most likely open up itself by puberty, somthing to do with the hormones.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

Old 10-03-2006, 11:51 PM

I'm going through the same thing. My BIL, who's a urologist, said he didn't think the estrogen cream would help as much as the actual application of the cream. It's the rubbing it in that's breaking down the membrane. He recommended using Neosporin or similar ointment. Unlike the PP, who said they had the membrane gone in 3 weeks using small amounts of estrogen cream, our DDs has not gone away. (We've been switching between using KY Jelly and the neosporin.) This makes me think the estrogen cream must have some benefit. I'm starting to get uncomfortable waiting for it to clear on its own. I really don't want it to become worse, so for us I'm thinking a small amount of estrogen may be worth it. I also read that once it clears to keep applying something like KY Jelly each night so the skin cannot re-adhere.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:59 PM

My dd had adhesions when she was around 3m and we did nothing. It opened up a few months later. Around that time we switched from prowraps diaper covers to wool and also started using a mei tai. I'm convinced the breathability of the wool and the position in the MT helped her to open up. That said, it has readhesed a little bit now. I do sometimes put vaseline on it. But as long as she can pee, I'd leave it alone. Premarin is scary stuff. Can you give her some bare butt time to let the air get to it? Our ped said that it can be from the moisture of wet diapers. Good luck.

Shelley

User Tag List