Healing the Gut Tribe-October - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 510 Old 10-19-2006, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It needs a carrier which will either be lactose pellets or alcohol. There is a rumor that you can buy them in water, but I haven't found anything to back that up.

Boiron makes both tissue salts and homeopathics in alcohol, and that's what we're using now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 510 Old 10-19-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom;6314068One more, [B
testing[/B]. For those of you who have had a CDSA (and now Im thinking of hair analysis too), how did it help your treatment plan? What info does a CDSA give? And then its up to you to figure out treatments for the results of the CDSA?

Lots of questions - THANKS for any info!

jess
CDSAs are expensive & difficult for the average joe to interpret. I wouldn't recommend doing it on your own (though I did both dds myself.) To be honest, the interpretation of dd2's was so time consuming, I never got around to reviewing the whole thing myself. Luckily my DAN doc went over dd2's point by point w/ me just this week.

The hair analysis is beneficial to do on your own imho.
#303 of 510 Old 10-19-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Through this healing process I feel like I am learning in 'layers'. Started with the diet and as we keep discussing I get new ideas and research those and add them, or not. I remember Jane telling us about enzymes way back, but I have really just gotten to that 'layer' recently.
ITA. There is sooo much to know that I think one cant take it all in at once. Now that we have the diet pretty well understood, its on to supplements/enzymes, maybe cleansing, etc. When IM not morbily depressed, it can be fun

Thanks for your help cademyn.

Patti - Im sooooo glad you are getting a load off of your shoulders! You deserve it (we all do, but you have been feeling the burden for awhile. Its soo good you're having a break!)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#304 of 510 Old 10-19-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Oh I'm a great one for overanalyzing things...ITA that it is best to get vitamins & minerals from foods or herbs. I am concerned about magnesium, though, because I've been reading a lot lately about how much magnesium deficiencies contribute to various diseases, and also because I already have symptoms of magnesium deficiency (leg cramps occasionally). Now that I've seriously upped my calcium intake without doing anything to balance the magnesium intake, I don't want to create/exerbate problems. I would actually like to find a herb that high in magnesium to increase my intake, but everything I've found so far that's high in magnesium is even higher in calcium, so I'm not sure if that will help much.
What about dolomite? KAL makes a good brand.
#305 of 510 Old 10-19-2006, 09:39 PM

I've actually kept up with everyone's posts today and have been reading the cheat sheet. I can't follow everything, but I'll be able to soon! My 4yo with multiple food intolerances is now on probiotics. He's taking Rhino FOS with acidophilus which we started on the rec of a dr. I'm guessing there's higher quality stuff out there. Does anyone have a rec? Also, should I do something for my 8mo who has a couple of intolerances?
#306 of 510 Old 10-20-2006, 02:56 PM

This is very interesting...I think either the nettle infusions or the coconut milk kefir I've been drinking is alkalinizing my body. I've only been testing my urine pH for a few days but before I started those two it was usually in the 6.0 range. Since the third day after I started those, it's been in the slightly alkaline/optimal range. It could just be a coincidence, and if not I don't know which of the two is doing it, but anyhow, I'm happy

On the negative side, I've been giving DD the coconut milk kefir and yesterday she got a bit of eczema on her chin, which she's never had before, only on her cheeks. I don't know if it's a reaction to the coconut milk, or the kefirizing, or maybe the two grains or so of brown rice she ate a few days ago (we went out for Chinese and DD managed to snag a bit of brown rice in spite of our best efforts to keep her away from the plates). Plus today I tried to feed her some very keferized coconut milk (it just about exploded out of my jar after I left it on the counter for 1/2 an hour!) and now she doesn't want to eat any of it. I'm making a new, milder batch and I'm going to make sure it's fairly sweet with vanilla and stevia before attempting to feed her any--I sure hope she'll still take it.

Oh, and can someone tell me how to make coconut milk yogurt? If I can't get DD to take the kefir I'm going to try making yogurt instead.
#307 of 510 Old 10-20-2006, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, and can someone tell me how to make coconut milk yogurt? If I can't get DD to take the kefir I'm going to try making yogurt instead.
i had some success with the powdered coconut milk from wilderness naturals - just don't let it set for 24 hours. with the powder, you can really control thickness and gelling - i was able to get quite a "normal" (storebought) consistency. i just let it sit too long and i contaminated it by peeking.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#308 of 510 Old 10-20-2006, 04:23 PM

My MW says I'm to alkiline..I need to make my self more acidic...

I've been Dairy free scince Ive been a bit lactose intolerent, should I try adding it back in with kefier and suck it up? BTW this is to kill a yeast infection in my gut. Please can you tell me what would help the most. Ive been drinking cranberry juice, would lemon juice work also? I take the 50 billion hope probiotica and they work pretty well, I just need more. ALso I'm 6 months pregnant. I dont have a BAD infection but I have a bit of a yeasty feeling in the colon...

I'm not interested in doing the SC diet at this time.
#309 of 510 Old 10-20-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
My MW says I'm to alkiline..I need to make my self more acidic...

I've been Dairy free scince Ive been a bit lactose intolerent, should I try adding it back in with kefier and suck it up? BTW this is to kill a yeast infection in my gut. Please can you tell me what would help the most. Ive been drinking cranberry juice, would lemon juice work also? I take the 50 billion hope probiotica and they work pretty well, I just need more. ALso I'm 6 months pregnant. I dont have a BAD infection but I have a bit of a yeasty feeling in the colon...

I'm not interested in doing the SC diet at this time.
If you culture kefir for 48 hours it is supposed to remove all the lactose (24 hrs with grains, strain out the grains and then culture for 24 hours more before refrigerating). Otherwise you could try making kefirs with water kefir grains using juice, coconut milk, or sugar water flavored with fruit or ginger (if you let them culture long enough most of the sugar will be eaten up by the grains).

Are you doing any fermented foods?

I think it is usually necessary to make some dietary changes to kill off yeast...at a minimum eliminating all sugars, fruits, & fruit juices. Usually anti-fungals are recommended also. You should ask your midwife to be sure, but coconut oil and raw garlic are good anti-fungals and safe for pregnancy--just start with very low doses and work your way up gradually.
#310 of 510 Old 10-20-2006, 06:18 PM

Ive eliminated almost all sugar ( I have a treat here and there on the low end) ,and I'm eating fermented foods ( stor bought, not in the mood to make them myself : )

I tried making Kefir and I liked the taste of the store bought better. Could I add lactase drops to the kefir?

I'm taking garlic (capsules) everyday. Anyway I can get coconut oil to not be so icky?
#311 of 510 Old 10-20-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
Ive eliminated almost all sugar ( I have a treat here and there on the low end) ,and I'm eating fermented foods ( stor bought, not in the mood to make them myself : )

I tried making Kefir and I liked the taste of the store bought better. Could I add lactase drops to the kefir?

I'm taking garlic (capsules) everyday. Anyway I can get coconut oil to not be so icky?
Are the fermented foods you buy unpasturized and traditionally fermented (without vinegar)? If they are not they aren't doing you any good.

I would think store-bought kefir would be okay as long as it is plain/with no added sugars. You could try lactase drops and see what happens.

I've read that garlic capsules don't do much against candida. You can make your own capsules with empty capsules and raw crushed garlic, though. I substitute CO for any other oil or butter. I add it to casseroles or stir-frys, warm herbal teas, make homemade mayo & salad dressing with it, cook eggs or hamburger in it...you get the idea, I use it in everything. You could also try coconut milk (regular, not lite), which has a fair amount of coconut oil in it (2-4 Tbsp per can, depending on who you ask).
#312 of 510 Old 10-20-2006, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Are the fermented foods you buy unpasturized and traditionally fermented (without vinegar)? If they are not they aren't doing you any good.
generally, the ones that you want will be in the refrigerated section, not on the regular canned/jarred good shelves.

Quote:
I would think store-bought kefir would be okay as long as it is plain/with no added sugars. You could try lactase drops and see what happens.
or you can leave the kefir out on the counter for a day to let the lactose (and other proteins) breakdown naturally.

#313 of 510 Old 10-20-2006, 07:12 PM

I don't know what's going on with my dd! I've been completely strict about avoiding dairy and soy for the past three weeks. She had a bit of eczema behind the one knee and it seemed to be clearing up. Then, this week, we started her on some enzymes that she would actually eat, and now her eczema is really bad (like, I'm afraid it's going to become infected bad), and she has yeast rash bumps down her arms, on her belly and on her rear end. Could this be die-off? Could she be reacting to the new enzymes (and not in a good way)? I'm not sure what to think. Any ideas?
#314 of 510 Old 10-20-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I don't know what's going on with my dd! I've been completely strict about avoiding dairy and soy for the past three weeks. She had a bit of eczema behind the one knee and it seemed to be clearing up. Then, this week, we started her on some enzymes that she would actually eat, and now her eczema is really bad (like, I'm afraid it's going to become infected bad), and she has yeast rash bumps down her arms, on her belly and on her rear end. Could this be die-off? Could she be reacting to the new enzymes (and not in a good way)? I'm not sure what to think. Any ideas?
I would back off on the enzymes at this point. That dairy is still barely out of her system (remember it takes 2-6 weeks to fully eliminate it) Give her system a break and try again in a couple of weeks. It could be die off but it sounds like she isn't copeing well with it. If die off makes you miserable it may be too much for your body. The goal is a happy functioning immune system that kicks these things out on it's own.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#315 of 510 Old 10-20-2006, 09:59 PM

Quote:

I've read that garlic capsules don't do much against candida. You can make your own capsules with empty capsules and raw crushed garlic, though. I substitute CO for any other oil or butter. I add it to casseroles or stir-frys, warm herbal teas, make homemade mayo & salad dressing with it, cook eggs or hamburger in it...you get the idea, I use it in everything. You could also try coconut milk (regular, not lite), which has a fair amount of coconut oil in it (2-4 Tbsp per can, depending on who you ask).

Yep they are raw I do as much as a can with what I can $$ wise at this point. I will try the crushed garlic insted... Its hard to eat

Ive been making pumpkin pie ( low sugar) with coconut milk (whole) and its yummy

I'll try the lactase emzymes in the kefir... I do miss it so :

Thanks! After the baby is born I will step up more herbs and such and then later in 3+ years when we have weaned even more herbs. Its so hard right now but really I feel ALot better than I did 6 months ago I just have hit a wall :
#316 of 510 Old 10-21-2006, 12:23 AM

Another question on pH. Is my goal to be neutral or alkaline? I just tested and got a alkaline result. Like 8.0.
#317 of 510 Old 10-21-2006, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Depends, in life you want to be neutral-maybe *slightly* towards alkaline. If you are trying to kill off pathogens you want to be alkaline.
#318 of 510 Old 10-21-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Depends, in life you want to be neutral-maybe *slightly* towards alkaline. If you are trying to kill off pathogens you want to be alkaline.
I'm confused on this--some things I've read say urine should be slightly acidic, and some say neutral or slightly alkaline.
#319 of 510 Old 10-21-2006, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I know. IT's very annoying-much in the same way that there is all kinds of conflicting info out there on anti-candida diets. I have just read and researched and talked to professionals and found that everything I put credence in said the same thing. Since it's worked for me and others I have faith in it. There are so many things we don't understand. The best you can do is read everything yourself and see what makes sense and why and follow that. I know I have dealt with chronic yeast and bacterial stuff (had many tests including live blood cell testing) and the only thing that works for me is alkalinizing-of course I didn't know until recently that that's what I've been doing. I just knew certain diets brought health for me. I'm now working to interpret why that was, and why others do better on other diets. I really think it's comes down to the pH.

THat probably doesn't help much. There are no hard and fast answers. But most everything I have come across that is reputable has said that you want to be more towards alkaline and definitely alkaline if you have undesirable bugs.
#320 of 510 Old 10-21-2006, 12:38 PM

Thank You!!! I followed your advise on brewing the kefir less time and now we are on a roll. I've made maple kefir, carob kefir, kefir nog, and kefir muffins in the past three days. One of my very thin children loves kefir....and kale...he said could you feed me much more of this green stuff...i thought that was funny because mostly I choke kale down.

Also by brewing the yogurt less time (12 hours) it is turned out way less sour. What is the least amount of time we could brew the yogurt? I'd like it to be even less tart if possible.

Can you expain more about this alkaline stuff? How do I find out dd's type to know which foods will alkalize my daughter? I'm not clear on that. I know I read on WAP that they don't agree with eating for your blood type ideas so this whole thing is confusing.
#321 of 510 Old 10-21-2006, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

It isn't about your blood type-I don't agree with that either...although Dadamo has a new book that is focused on genomes and it's much more interesting than the blood type deal. I think he's on to something.

For pH you can just do trial and error. You can buy testing strips very inexpensively. Just monitor what she's eating. If she does alot of grains and stays alkaline then she's likely a carb type. If meats alkalinize her, a protein type.

THe longer you incubate the yogurt and the tarter it is the more jam packed it becomes with the bugs. If it's a dairy based yogurt and you aren't doing the SCD, I'd think you could go as little as 8 hours or so. But I don't do dairy so I'm not an expert
#322 of 510 Old 10-22-2006, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchita View Post
Hi, we are learning about enzyme therapy...dd is 3 years old and we are currently doing a gf diet. It's exhausting and now we're finding other culprits too. Elimination of the offending foods only seems to improve the situation but not entirely. She has symptoms of leaky gut and I'm starting to believe that is the cause of her food intolerances, instead of the other way around. She's had very frequent and very loose stools for as long as I can remember, but now she also suffers mood swings, hyperactivity, dark circles around her eyes, restlessness, rashes/eczema, gas pain, etc...
While reading all the threads, I didn't see very many references to enzyme therapy so I'm curious to get some feedback. I'd love to hear your stories if you've tried enzymes, even if they didn't work for your situation.
I'm reading Enzymes for Autism and feeling pretty optimistic about it. I just ordered some from Houston Nat. Inc. and I'm pretty anxious to get dd started on them.

Thanks!

Did the other symptoms start after the gf diet was started? If so, what did you replace the gluten with? I'd start there as a possible allergen to look into.

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#323 of 510 Old 10-22-2006, 10:15 AM

I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but I need to ask a question. DD has had green, very mucousy stools for almost a month. She is 12 weeks old and exclusively breastfed. I have been taking all-flora probiotics myself and for about a week i gave her a 1/4 capsule twice a day (recommended by her naturopath). It wasn't helping so i got Jarro-dophilus for babies. I had trouble mixing it with BM, it became hard and pasty, so i mixed it with a little water and gave it to her with a spoon. After two days she had a very smelly poop the color and consistency of wet cement. So I stopped giving it to her and the green slimy stools are back. She is asleep right now but about 20 minutes ago she was crying and straining in her sleep. She passed some gas and I thought there would be a bowel movement but there was nothing in her diaper. It was a really sad cry. I can't remember the last time she cried in the night. She seems healthy except for stools and having really dry skin. Any ideas here? It has just been dragging on a long time and I can't call the naturopath until tomorrow.
#324 of 510 Old 10-22-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimya View Post
I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but I need to ask a question. DD has had green, very mucousy stools for almost a month. She is 12 weeks old and exclusively breastfed. I have been taking all-flora probiotics myself and for about a week i gave her a 1/4 capsule twice a day (recommended by her naturopath). It wasn't helping so i got Jarro-dophilus for babies. I had trouble mixing it with BM, it became hard and pasty, so i mixed it with a little water and gave it to her with a spoon. After two days she had a very smelly poop the color and consistency of wet cement. So I stopped giving it to her and the green slimy stools are back. She is asleep right now but about 20 minutes ago she was crying and straining in her sleep. She passed some gas and I thought there would be a bowel movement but there was nothing in her diaper. It was a really sad cry. I can't remember the last time she cried in the night. She seems healthy except for stools and having really dry skin. Any ideas here? It has just been dragging on a long time and I can't call the naturopath until tomorrow.
An exclusively breast-fed baby should only receive bifidus as a probiotic, as that is the dominant strain in their gut. Natren Life Start & Solaray BabyLife are two good baby probiotic powders. When my DD was little it worked best for me to get my finger wet and dip it into the powder and she would suck it off my finger. IMO probiotics can sometimes cause a bit of stomach upset at first. You may want to start with a low dose and increase the amount and frequency gradually. Are you doing anything else to address the problem, such as trying to figure out foods that cause problems? Dairy is a common problem.
#325 of 510 Old 10-22-2006, 10:52 AM

I don't think the kefir sodas/coconut milk kefir is working for me--I am definitely "itchier" than I was before I started them, and I'm also have way more gas and some bloating. I'm really hoping it is a healing reaction, but it's probably just the yeast growing some more. I was really hoping they would work...they're so good, too! I've got some kombucha brewing, though, so maybe that will work out better.

But...I think the coconut milk kefir is helping DD. I have been giving her as much as I can get into her, which isn't a whole lot, maybe 1-2 Tbsp/day. I started Tuesday or Wednesday and she has slept better the last three nights than she has in the past 5 months. She only woke twice two of those nights and slept 8 1/2 hours straight one night!
#326 of 510 Old 10-22-2006, 02:39 PM

Hi,

I've not read the whole thread for this month but would love any ideas. I have my DD on SCD; she's been on it since about March when we found out she had leaky gut syndrome. 52 food sensitivities and she had high eosinophil protein x on her first CDSA. She's made developmental leaps and bounds on SCD but continued to have diarrhea.

We just repeated the CDSA and it seems things have gotten worse for her. She had very highly elevated lysozyme, which I understand is an inflammation marker, occult blood in the stool, elevated secretory IgA and still has nasty bacteria in there (3+ staphylococcus aureus...penicillin resistant no less). No lactobacillus showed up at all despite that I've been giving her daily probiotics for months...although she did have good levels of bifidobacterium.

I got the results from her DAN ped who didn't seem too alarmed but mentioned we might need to switch her to a different stronger brand of probiotics. We're supposed to have a phone consult about it in a week or two, hopefully I can collect for an OAT so we can see those results too. But I just wondered in the meantime if anyone here has experience with this. I'm feeling kind of disheartened that the results were still so bad after months of SCD. I did just get her started on the homemade goat yogurt. Maybe that'll help some...
#327 of 510 Old 10-22-2006, 03:29 PM

krissi - if sauerkraut is allowed on SCD, you might try that. http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~mbi-ws/foodmicro/kraut.htm - it has lots of lactobacillus. my ds eats my mom's sauerkraut by the fistful.

#328 of 510 Old 10-22-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
krissi - if sauerkraut is allowed on SCD, you might try that. http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~mbi-ws/foodmicro/kraut.htm - it has lots of lactobacillus. my ds eats my mom's sauerkraut by the fistful.
Thanks for posting this, I have been making fermented red cabbage ( I only ferment it for a week or so) but I love german kraut! Do you have a stone crock that you make large batches in? I remember my Mom used to have a 5 gallon crock, wonder what she did with it...

We create our own reality.
#329 of 510 Old 10-22-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
An exclusively breast-fed baby should only receive bifidus as a probiotic, as that is the dominant strain in their gut. Natren Life Start & Solaray BabyLife are two good baby probiotic powders. When my DD was little it worked best for me to get my finger wet and dip it into the powder and she would suck it off my finger. IMO probiotics can sometimes cause a bit of stomach upset at first. You may want to start with a low dose and increase the amount and frequency gradually. Are you doing anything else to address the problem, such as trying to figure out foods that cause problems? Dairy is a common problem.
Are those good probiotics for babies who are just starting to eat, as well?
#330 of 510 Old 10-22-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Thanks for posting this, I have been making fermented red cabbage ( I only ferment it for a week or so) but I love german kraut! Do you have a stone crock that you make large batches in? I remember my Mom used to have a 5 gallon crock, wonder what she did with it...
i humbly confess that i am not a fermenting genius. my mom, on the other hand, is... her pickles are out of this world (there's a thread in Traditional Foods that Annikate started asking about pickles and i posted my mom's "recipe"). her sauerkraut isn't really hers -- it's my grandmother's on my dad's side. both my parents were born in Europe and raised on farm-based traditional diets, so that's a lot of how we were raised.

back to the act of fermenting... mom does ALL of her fermenting in large plastic wastebaskets, though she found a plastic rubbermaid bucket with a lid and a handle for the last batch because she was smuggling it from Canada and needed it to be somewhat portable (just to get it from the house to the car then into my kitchen).

teehee ... i'm still wondering what customs would have said if mom and dad had said "no, we don't have anything to declare" and then the officer were to go poking around through the trunk, discovering the big plastic bucket of rotting cabbage and the small bucket of rotting cucumbers and the 3 or 4 loaves of sourdough. probably a better explanation than if they happened upon the kefir grains i sent home with her.

oh, and the trick to sauerkraut is (a) lots of cabbage; (b) hot brine; (c) no whey; (d) an inch or so of horseradish root (toss it into your compost heap when you package up the finished kraut). garlic is optional. family friends add various seed spices for both fermenting and for eating (they eat it heated). ds and i like it plain and cold. in fact, mom's pickles and sauerkraut are the easiest ways for me to get probiotics into ds.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page