Healing the Gut Tribe-October - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got investigating tonight and had a lightbulb moment that possibly my problems, at least of late, might be from being too alkaline. : Must investigate further, but of course it is confusing in that where I was reading (here) listed what foods to eat and stay away from, depending on what you are trying to correct. Isn't this exactly what we weren't talking about?? How everyone reacts to foods differently?? :
#362 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
I am going to try my darnest. Actually, that is what I suggested to DH. He is on board, but whenever he is in charge of food it is 99.9% of the time rice or pasta for dinner and sandwiches for lunch.
DHs are often just terrible about food. Mine thinks I'm nutzo, and is bad about letting ds eat some of his non-SCD food. He asked me to write down the diet -- even though he's already been over it with me several times. It just doesn't sink in! :

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#363 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
With this child, it might make more sense to *day* wean her. Ever heard of such a thing?
Yes, all the time. My ds is pretty much day weaned now, in part because I was thinking I'd be going back on Prozac and didn't want to have to wean him suddenly for that, and partially because I was thinking my mercury fillings being mostly removed might be causing me to detox mercury, even though I still have one definite one, and two possible ones under crowns.

#364 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
yeast and acid/alkaline:

http://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/candida.htm

What do you all think?
It's interesting, although I think some of it is wrong -- candida is in everyone, it's when it overgrows that it's dangerous. I didn't know that stevia had lead in it -- yikes, and I just went and bought some. Scary!

#365 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 06:07 AM

I was looking for an SCD tribe to support dh (about to begin SCD). I guess this is it?

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#366 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
You know, sometimes I wonder if anybody ever truly heals...gets better, even symptom-free, yes, but really 100% healed? I don't know...
The sucky part is that *I* feel "healed". MY symptoms are - - dare I say? - - 100% better. (Unless I eat crap and then I'll have some minor annoyances like bloating or gas.)

BUT . . . I still have leaky gut and so I'm doing more harm than good to dd right now.
#367 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animus_silvae View Post
I was looking for an SCD tribe to support dh (about to begin SCD). I guess this is it?
This is it although not everyone here is doing SCD. Some of us are though.
#368 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
The sucky part is that *I* feel "healed". MY symptoms are - - dare I say? - - 100% better. (Unless I eat crap and then I'll have some minor annoyances like bloating or gas.)

BUT . . . I still have leaky gut and so I'm doing more harm than good to dd right now.
How do you know you still have leaky gut?
#369 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
I got investigating tonight and had a lightbulb moment that possibly my problems, at least of late, might be from being too alkaline. : Must investigate further, but of course it is confusing in that where I was reading (here) listed what foods to eat and stay away from, depending on what you are trying to correct. Isn't this exactly what we weren't talking about?? How everyone reacts to foods differently?? :
I think the problem with the acid/alkaline balance theory is that almost everyone thinks you have to eat "alkalinizing" foods, when really (as we've been discussing) if you're eating the proper foods for your body it will normalize. "The Metabolic Type Diet" has a good explanation of this. I haven't finished reading it yet but it is really interesting and what I've read so far definitely holds true for me (I'm a protein type which is probably why I've done well and felt really well on this high protein low carb candida diet).
#370 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 10:29 AM

Okay mamas I need your advice.

IF I try to partially wean dd, what do I substitute with? I gave dd1 cow's milk. (Don't know that I'd do that again, but it comforted her at the time.)

I have not been following any info. about goat's milk. Is this illegal on SCD? Is there caesin in it? Should I try raw cow's milk or store-bought goat's milk (I don't know of a source here) or neither?
#371 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
How do you know you still have leaky gut?
Because I ate some wheat w/out thinking and dd's symptoms came back w/a vengeance.

I also had 2 peices of dd1's wheat free birthday cake on Sat. (still, sugar in it) and dd2 was UP ALL NIGHT. I'm quite sure it was from the sugar.
#372 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 10:31 AM

Nolansmom--you asked earlier if the EBF baby probiotics were good for a baby just starting solids. From what I've read, as a baby eats more and more solids their gut flora gradually changes over to resemble that of an adult, and the transition is complete somewhere around 5 years of age. IMO at this age they should still be getting mostly bifidus but it won't hurt to add in another probiotic, also. I give my DD the BabyLife 3x/day and acidophilus/bifidus mixture 1x/day.
#373 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 10:33 AM

This is a funny question, but what is your tongue supposed to look like? I've had a white coating on my tongue for a long time that I'm sure is related to the candida, but now that is going away. But the top of my tongue isn't the same color as the bottom of my tongue. It's a lighter color...it still kind of looks like it has a layer of white lightening the pink, but almost as if it's the natural color instead of a coating, if that makes sense. Does that sound normal?
#374 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 11:03 AM

How can I tell if my coconut milk yogurt turned out? It doesn't smell anything like yogurt.
#375 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
This is a funny question, but what is your tongue supposed to look like? I've had a white coating on my tongue for a long time that I'm sure is related to the candida, but now that is going away. But the top of my tongue isn't the same color as the bottom of my tongue. It's a lighter color...it still kind of looks like it has a layer of white lightening the pink, but almost as if it's the natural color instead of a coating, if that makes sense. Does that sound normal?
We do tend to overthink things don't we?

FWIW, the top of my tongue is lighter than the bottom. I think everyone's is.
#376 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
We do tend to overthink things don't we?

FWIW, the top of my tongue is lighter than the bottom. I think everyone's is.
I guess I'm approaching normal then I just wanted to make sure the white coating was actually disappearing and not morphing into something else!
#377 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:

"Tongue Diagnosis - a simple way to evaluate digestive health"

In chinese medicine the tingue is the window to the digestive system...by carefully noting the color, texture, shape, and moisture ....

A healthy tongue is ruddy pink, lays comfortably in the mouth (not fat or thin), has an even shape, smooth texture, and thin moist light white fur that covers the surface evenly from back to front. The appearance of coarse, thickened, wet, dry, absent, or dislcolored fur (translucent whoite changing to opaque white, gray, yallow or brown) is an early sign of congestion of the stomach and poor digestion..."

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#378 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:

IF I try to partially wean dd, what do I substitute with? I gave dd1 cow's milk. (Don't know that I'd do that again, but it comforted her at the time.)

I have not been following any info. about goat's milk. Is this illegal on SCD? Is there caesin in it? Should I try raw cow's milk or store-bought goat's milk (I don't know of a source here) or neither?
I belong to the school of thought that once you wean, you don't need to "replace" it with anything, as in other milk. Course, if you are "prematurely" weaning, maybe that is different. But when that is obviously is different depending on who you talk to. Does she eat enough solid food that you feel she has enough nourishment from it? If I were in your position and not worried about getting in more calories, I would probably do tea.
#379 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How can I tell if my coconut milk yogurt turned out? It doesn't smell anything like yogurt.

If it worked it will be very tart. I know mine doesn't seem fully "developed" until after it has chilled. At that point it its virtually indistinguishable from regular old yogurt.
#380 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I personally wouldn't substitute with anything. It isn't necessary at this point. Goat's milk is not legal, though hard goat cheese is. IT does have casein in it as well as lactose (which is what makes it illegal.) I personally wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

And FWIW I wouldn't wean either. You may want to get a second opinion from someone who understands more about bf, toxicity and body ecology. I am not able to give great advice on this, though I know someone who can. If you are having any ambivalence here I'd pursue it further to make sure you are doing what you know is best. I hate to see people quit bfing and regret it later. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, you just sound really sad about it. Of course if you are comfortable in this decision and it makes sense to you-ignore me!
#381 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:

No fluid (animal) milk is legal on SCD. You could try something like almond milk or another nut milk.

40% of people with a problem with cows mill will also have one with goat milk. They are similar and share some proteins but not all.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#382 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
DD's DAN doc recommended this for her.

My homeopath recommended it for me.

It's supposed to be an anti-fungal. That's 2 recommendations in only a few weeks. I haven't taken mine because I burp it up and it's nasty tasting but I'm giving it to dd. I'm considering taking it again though . . .
Given what you've been through a concentrated foem isn't a bad idea. It's naturally found in CO which is why it's a useful tool in gut healing (that and the lauric acid) Good luck! It is pretty nasty though. What is your source derived from?
#383 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Because I ate some wheat w/out thinking and dd's symptoms came back w/a vengeance.

I also had 2 peices of dd1's wheat free birthday cake on Sat. (still, sugar in it) and dd2 was UP ALL NIGHT. I'm quite sure it was from the sugar.
I think that you really aren't healed untill you can eat all foods (at least in small ammounts) w/o a reaction. Just being able to eat scd food w/o reaction can put you still a year away from healed (according to Elaine)

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#384 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I agree with everybody else--I don't really get the point of substituting, unless it's a nutrition thing. If so I'd either go with raw goat's milk yogurt if you can get it, or else try to get bone broths & maybe herbal teas/infusions into her for the vitamins and minerals in them. Or I suppose any liquid would work if she just needs to suck. If it's a comfort thing, I don't know what you can do besides lots of cuddling. Does she have a lovey? When my DD is hurt/upset she prefers to snuggle with her big stuffed pig (that thing is half as big as she is!) and suck her thumb instead of nursing (I hold her while she does it, of course).
#385 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
If it worked it will be very tart. I know mine doesn't seem fully "developed" until after it has chilled. At that point it its virtually indistinguishable from regular old yogurt.
I don't think it worked then. Can you tell me how you make yours? Have you ever used probiotic powder as a starter, or what do you use?
#386 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
What about oatmeal to help heal the gut? Those of tyou that have tried it, how have your bodies reacted to oatmeal after being on SCD? Is it something to try once I am well on my way to being healed? (When will that be??? )
I triedd oatmeal once and it trned me into a raging maniac. Seriously, I was fuming and highly irritable and just in this rage. No more for me!!! However, I can eat a slice of buttered dark sourdough rye without incident. :

Quote:

Could there be gluten in it? Sometimes it can be a gluten reaction, and there is gluten in so many things.
#387 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't think it worked then. Can you tell me how you make yours? Have you ever used probiotic powder as a starter, or what do you use?
I use progurt starter.
Mine is:
2 cans coconut milk, 2 tablespoons sweetener (agave, maple, honey etc) 2 tablespoons thickener (gelatin, agar agar etc.) 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 bean. I use 1/4 tsp of starter (which is twice the rec. for this volume.) I put in starter at 105 and incubate at 110 for 10 hours.
#388 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:

i was concerned about this when i found out i had leaky gut. my ND was of the opinion that BM was much better than any other alternative, in spite of my leaky gut. he encouraged me to keep nursing. he reminds me still that breastmilk is perfect food in the sense that it has already been secreted, making it easier on the digestive system.

look at it this way... if you keep nursing, you will be less likely to get complacent about what you're eating. in getting complacent, you might think you're healed when you really aren't - and then you'd eat illegals and undo all the healing you've done. am i making any sense?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#389 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 01:39 PM

firefaery made a comment some while back about d'adamo's new direction with the genome and such.

the newest thing is "nutrigenomics" where one considers the impact of the genome on nutritional status and effect of nutriceuticals (supplements). the nutriceutical industry finally "gets" it. we are each the product of our genes. and though we are 99% identical, that 1% difference is vast. that's why not every diet will work the same in each one of us. if you can get it (or if you want it, PM/email me), a good article on this topic is:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...526993b62cc70b
Lydia Afman PhD and Michael Müller PhD
Nutrigenomics: From Molecular Nutrition to Prevention of Disease
Journal of the American Dietetic Association
Volume 106, Issue 4 , April 2006, Pages 569-576

Abstract

Until recently, nutrition research concentrated on nutrient deficiencies and impairment of health. The advent of genomics—interpreted broadly as a suite of high throughput technologies for the generation, processing, and application of scientific information about the composition and functions of genomes—has created unprecedented opportunities for increasing our understanding of how nutrients modulate gene and protein expression and ultimately influence cellular and organismal metabolism. Nutritional genomics (nutrigenomics), the junction between health, diet, and genomics, can be seen as the combination of molecular nutrition and genomics. The diverse tissue and organ-specific effects of bioactive dietary components include gene-expression patterns (transcriptome); organization of the chromatin (epigenome); protein-expression patterns, including posttranslational modifications (proteome); as well as metabolite profiles (metabolome). Nutrigenomics will promote an increased understanding of how nutrition influences metabolic pathways and homeostatic control, how this regulation is disturbed in the early phases of diet-related disease, and the extent to which individual sensitizing genotypes contribute to such diseases. Eventually, nutrigenomics will lead to evidence-based dietary intervention strategies for restoring health and fitness and for preventing diet-related disease. In this review, we provide a brief overview of nutrigenomics from our point of view by describing current strategies, future opportunities, and challenges.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#390 of 510 Old 10-24-2006, 02:24 PM

Also, Annikate, didn't JaneS constantly rue her choice to wean her DS, thinking it would make him better, but only made him that much worse? Not trying to guilt you into anything, but I am with FF in this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page