Healing the Gut Tribe-October - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's my update, not so good.

So Ive had this feeling of something stuck in my throat for two months, along ith a burning throat. I figured it was yeast related, and was feeling like Im getting worse as time goes on. 3 wks ago I developed heartburn, extreme pressure and pain in my chest with burping all day. Then I got my period (a whole other story) and the symptoms improved but are very much there. I finally went to see an ENT yesterday to rule out anything serious, and as I suspected, I have gerd : Now, the *treatment* for gerd is acid reducers! Guess what yeast love, no acid. One of the side effects of acid meds is yeast infections. There are several foods I should not eat with gerd; fat!!!!!!, onions, garlic. Gues what my diet has huge ammounts of? Right.

So on one hand this could all be a conseuence of the anti-candida diet (I have never eaten so much meat, fat, onions and garlic) and the gerd will reslove when I adjust my diet - someday. But until then I dont want to take acid reducers, and the pain is no small thing.

That means that my yeast symptoms have improved. My tongue, ears, and eyelid rash are slightly better this month. *Just* treating the yeast now seems so straightforward, and I wish that's all I had to do. There's slim relationship, that I can find, btwn yeast and gerd (although there is actually a whole book I found on amazon about GI troubles all being caused by candida). But if thats true, then why would I develop GI troubles after starting to treat candida! Im numb. What can I eat?

Does nyone know what foods trigger a greater release of acid in the stomach? I think its meat and fat, which would account for this. I wonder if I could start eating more soaked nuts? I know they're supposed to be hard to digest - why again?

I read yet another source yesterday about yeast liking alkalinity in the intestines (good bugs produce lactic acid, which keep yeast under control). So I dont know if its possible to alkalize ones body except for the gi tract? Just thought Id throw that out there.

So my current project is how to manage the gerd for a year or two until the yeast is better (that doesnt make sense ... forevere I guess) : : :

fwiw, Ive never had any of these symptoms before, so I (that is to say Dh) is hopeful that its all diet related.

Not really progress, exactly, although maybe a little with the yeast (knock wood)

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#422 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 01:15 PM

saskiamom-- I'm sorry you're having a rough time right now. I did a quick search for natural remedies for GERD, and one that seems to be popular is apple cider vinegar--2Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in a little bit of water before or after meals. It couldn't hurt to try it. I also saw some recommendations for taking pancreatic enzymes or papain or bromelain, or also Betaine HCL (which may be a pancreatic enzymes, I'm not sure).

This is totally my opinion (and completely contrary to Bee's of course) but if you've been doing the candida diet for a few months and aren't really seeing any results, maybe you need to make some changes to it. Have you thought about doing some other things to increase the good bacteria in your body, like maybe coconut milk yogurt, or even (homemade) dairy yogurt if you have access to raw milk and do well with dairy products? Or you could try water kefirs. I'm still not 100% sure if they are helping me as opposed to feeding the yeast, but assuming they are helping, they must be pretty effective because they are kicking my butt with the die-off (far more than anything else I've done).
#423 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
So how does the good stuff get through then? Through the bloodstream?

I am no scientist - can you tell?

Jennifer, where are you?
what firefaery said.

for the record, my training is in theoretical plant population genetics ("in my computer, there are plants that have genes... ") so even though I can read the science literature, doesn't mean it is necessarily any easier!

so in addition to nutrients being secreted (remember - breastmilk is secreted!) into breastmilk, i'm guessing that trace (or maybe not-so-trace?) amounts of mama hormones get in there as well. my cycles have started coming back (though still really irregular - kinda wonky actually) - when AF drops in, i get horrendous gas regardless of the food i put in my mouth. ds gets the same issues at the same time. we're a stinky pair

then i noticed this thing the other day. ds has a little spot of eczema just below the corner of his mouth (in the drool path). it is popping up exactly 1 yr since his first round of eczema. but then i just recently shifted my oils a bit (i decreased EPO dramatically, but i don't like the result, so i'm going to go back to a higher level) - so maybe that's it? but then it is also in a place where it could be just irritation from zipper on the new winter jacket. this morning dh noticed that a tiny patch (on his own arm) near his elbow was itchy again - also 1 yr since it popped up last winter (same spot pops up this time every year).

good news, since someone asked - ds digests mostly everything that goes in (in spite of the questionable stuff they feed at daycare). he has much much less gas (except when AF visits me!) AND - the best part - he sleeps on his own mattress beside me (instead of between dh and i) for most of the night and seems to need fewer night nursings (well, again, except when AF visits me - then he needs to latch-on to get through gas pains). i think i had 5 solid hours of sleep last night even though ds decided not to eat any solids at dinner and just wanted to nurse all evening instead (which also shows that solids don't necessarily help with sleep). he even went to bed 45 minutes early. he's now regularly eating kefir with a splash of granola and a drizzle of honey. we went for a month where he refused breakfast entirely, so this is a major deal for us. he's also talking - a few (or more) new words every day. one of his younger classmates was faster to pick up on this whole talking thing but he hadn't been battling with head congestion (his parents went the ear intubation route instead of diet) - so i'm delighted ds was able to catch up.

i did do a really really dumb thing 2 nights ago. i thought it would be a good idea to give ds a little bit of bone broth as a bedtime mineral snack. ugh - between the broth and the almost constant nursing, by 2am he was drenched, the top sheet on the mattress was drenched, i was getting drenched.... no more bone broths right before bed.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#424 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Re: bf'ing and "leaky gut"--this is what I wonder: if flavors from foods we eat get into the breastmilk, how do they do that? Are they "leaking" somehow? And if flavors get through, wouldn't it be possible for other parts of food to get through, too, even if your gut is okay?

Well if you eat a lot of garlic you will smell like garlic. I don't think that is leaky gut.

Also a study found that babies are more receptive to foods mom ate while pg than the ones she ate while bfing. (sorry no clue about a link on that one. I think it was carrot juice that was tested)

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#425 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 04:16 PM

Just wanted to share a quick update on us. DD is taking her first nap of the week so I don't have long to be on here.

DD is on week two of the herbs to get rid of her staf. I'm still not seeing any improvement in her except that she can now eat some applesauce (to take them in). We did a therapeutic bath for her sleep last friday. She stopped napping and started waking up at 4 am every day. Yesterday I finally got her in to her chiro and her neck was really messed up (first time ever) and her Dr gave a homeopathic remedy that was supposed to reverse the bath. Last night no waking and today she is napping so one of those worked but we are back to square one with the sleep issues.

I'm waiting for the full moon to start taking my remedy for my parasite (actually 5 days before it is when I'm to start that is the begining of next week.) I'm feeling like I am in limbo right now, hopeful that this will finally be the answer and also fearful that I have put off healing even longer if this doesn't work (plus I'm cheating badly w/chocolate since I got these results. )

Dh has begun cheating on the diet fairly regularly although his meals are still usually legal. This means that we get to put up with his super stinky farting all evening every day he cheats. : But he has no digestion issues.: Anyone got anything that can prove to him that stinky farts aren't normal???? (besides the fact that they disappeared while he was eating strict SCD for months?)

our family is <>< and :
#426 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 04:30 PM

I found this on another website - Anybody ever try making cocunut yogurt this way?

Blend 1 cup of coconut meat (from a young coconut, found in Asian Markets) with one cup of the young coconut water. Add 1/2 teaspoon of probiotic powder. Blend the mixture until smooth. Pour into a sealable container and allow mixture to stand covered with a paper towel for three hours. This process allows the mixture to culture.

It only says to culture for 3 hours, but since coconut meat is SCD legal, I'm thinking it would be SCD compliant. Is my logic faulty here?
#427 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
Dh has begun cheating on the diet fairly regularly although his meals are still usually legal. This means that we get to put up with his super stinky farting all evening every day he cheats. : But he has no digestion issues.: Anyone got anything that can prove to him that stinky farts aren't normal???? (besides the fact that they disappeared while he was eating strict SCD for months?)
#428 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
Well if you eat a lot of garlic you will smell like garlic. I don't think that is leaky gut.

Also a study found that babies are more receptive to foods mom ate while pg than the ones she ate while bfing. (sorry no clue about a link on that one. I think it was carrot juice that was tested)
I've read that before too. And I also wonder about this. I don't think caedmyn means *smelling* of garlic though. DD1 LOVED b'milk (more than usual) whenever I ate garlic.
#429 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 05:03 PM

Well guess what?

Maybe I didn't *leak* the wheat into dd after all. . . .

Today I came home to find dd sucking on a dog biscuit. She LOVES our 91 pound mutt and carries those bones around in her little fists every day.

They are made mostly of WHEAT FLOUR.
#430 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 05:40 PM

annikate - at least your dog is normal. my male cat is allergic to fish, seafood, beef, pork, and all the usual fillers (wheat, corn, maybe rice). so the cats eat duck and green pea cat food because the male kitty probably has a leaky gut that i just don't have the energy, time or finances to figure out.

#431 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
Well guess what?

Maybe I didn't *leak* the wheat into dd after all. . . .

Today I came home to find dd sucking on a dog biscuit. She LOVES our 91 pound mutt and carries those bones around in her little fists every day.

They are made mostly of WHEAT FLOUR.
They will find their carbs any way they can get them!

We create our own reality.
#432 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
annikate - at least your dog is normal. my male cat is allergic to fish, seafood, beef, pork, and all the usual fillers (wheat, corn, maybe rice). so the cats eat duck and green pea cat food because the male kitty probably has a leaky gut that i just don't have the energy, time or finances to figure out.
We figured out years ago that one of our cats is 'allergic' to the nutritional yeast they add to most cat foods. Now I believe he has a yeast infection and leaky gut. And like you I do not have the energy to heal the cat right now too.

#433 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 10:26 PM

Thanks for posting your progress 'reports'.I am so up and down emotionally dealing with this diet and healing. Sometimes I feel like I have come a long way and then I regress, or have 'die-off', or make a mistake that I feel utterly guilty for.

DS went to the CST yesterday. He let her work on him for 45 min! She really clicked with both of us, it was nice to have her acknowledge my hard work with the diet. SHe worked on releasing the bones in his skull that were jammed tightly together (you could feel the heat radiating from his head.) She also worked to help his slight bowleggedness. She said he would keep having 'releases' in the next 4 or so days and he has had some major ones. We didn't hear a peep out of him last night but he had been coughing/choking up phlem all night, his crib was covered in it. He did it a few times this morning and it scared the &*^# out of me. He took a 3.5 hr nap this afternoon , DH and I were scared he stopped breathing so we went in and the door opening woke him. He has also been sighing a lot and getting the hiccups. He also had no appatite today for BM or solids. His body was concentrating on healing, I hope.

I need to vent about our horrible check-up with the regular ped. today. She was horrified with his rashy face and perscribed Bactroban, kenalog, and milder cortisone cream. She tried to scare me saying the rash would scar his face if I didn't use these creams immediately: . Scare tactics don't work on me. Then she went on to the vaccine subject (ds is not getting them, ever) saying 'your daycare provider is ok with that? And the other parents are too? Then she went on to the flu shot, telling me that if I don't get it I will surely bring home the flu to DS. At least she gave us a referral to the allergy clinic, which is the primary reason I went to her. I cant' believe that a doctor feels like she has the right to treat me like that. I think it is time to try a new ped, although they are all probably the same at a military health facility.

#434 of 510 Old 10-26-2006, 10:58 PM

saskiasmom-I am sorry to hear about your GURD. Do you currently take any digestive enzymes? How long have you been strictly doing Bea's diet?

#435 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I had a kitty that I believe had leaky gut, probably caused by vaxes She had a gum disease and needed cortisone shots every month or her mouth hurt so much she would yowl and hardly eat. I tried putting her on a whole foods diet but she wouldn't eat the food (and she was living at my parents' house in a different state at that point cuz DH hated her so I couldn't monitor her as I would have liked to). I finally had my mom take her to a naturopathic vet who did acupuncture on her and prescribed some homeopathic and herbal meds...we ended up taking the meds back though because they were too expensive. My poor kitty died a couple of weeks later I don't know if the acupuncture was just too much for her system or if she was already headed that way but it was probably for the best as I know she was suffering. She was only four years old.
#436 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Thanks for posting your progress 'reports'.I am so up and down emotionally dealing with this diet and healing. Sometimes I feel like I have come a long way and then I regress, or have 'die-off', or make a mistake that I feel utterly guilty for.

DS went to the CST yesterday. He let her work on him for 45 min! She really clicked with both of us, it was nice to have her acknowledge my hard work with the diet. SHe worked on releasing the bones in his skull that were jammed tightly together (you could feel the heat radiating from his head.) She also worked to help his slight bowleggedness. She said he would keep having 'releases' in the next 4 or so days and he has had some major ones. We didn't hear a peep out of him last night but he had been coughing/choking up phlem all night, his crib was covered in it. He did it a few times this morning and it scared the &*^# out of me. He took a 3.5 hr nap this afternoon , DH and I were scared he stopped breathing so we went in and the door opening woke him. He has also been sighing a lot and getting the hiccups. He also had no appatite today for BM or solids. His body was concentrating on healing, I hope.

I need to vent about our horrible check-up with the regular ped. today. She was horrified with his rashy face and perscribed Bactroban, kenalog, and milder cortisone cream. She tried to scare me saying the rash would scar his face if I didn't use these creams immediately: . Scare tactics don't work on me. Then she went on to the vaccine subject (ds is not getting them, ever) saying 'your daycare provider is ok with that? And the other parents are too? Then she went on to the flu shot, telling me that if I don't get it I will surely bring home the flu to DS. At least she gave us a referral to the allergy clinic, which is the primary reason I went to her. I cant' believe that a doctor feels like she has the right to treat me like that. I think it is time to try a new ped, although they are all probably the same at a military health facility.
I am really up and down on this healing business, too--especially when I stop and think about how little DD has really healed.

Your CST story scares me--I had a CST session done last Saturday (nothing major going on with me) and am planning on getting one done on DD in two weeks. She is two weeks younger than your DS...I hope she doesn't have major head issues! But on the other hand, if she does, CST will probably help her heal. Just out of curiousity, was your DS a hospital birth and did he have a hard birth or forceps or anything like that?

My DH is military (USAF) and he says that if any of the base doctors or nurses ever give me a hard time about not vaxing DD I should tell them to stop harassing me or I (or he) will contact their supervisor. That might be something you could do if you feel comfortable doing it. Oh, and you could have mentioned to her that you know someone (me!) whose DH got the flu shot (Flu Mist) and gave the flu to them:
#437 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
He has also been sighing a lot and getting the hiccups. He also had no appatite today for BM or solids. His body was concentrating on healing, I hope.
every time my ds gets hiccups - that is, hiccups every so often during a period of days, nothing before and nothing after - he usually has a growth spurt. on the other hand, my grandmother told my mom that a baby who hiccuped was cold.

#438 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I am really up and down on this healing business, too--especially when I stop and think about how little DD has really healed.

Your CST story scares me--I had a CST session done last Saturday (nothing major going on with me) and am planning on getting one done on DD in two weeks. She is two weeks younger than your DS...I hope she doesn't have major head issues! But on the other hand, if she does, CST will probably help her heal. Just out of curiousity, was your DS a hospital birth and did he have a hard birth or forceps or anything like that?

My DH is military (USAF) and he says that if any of the base doctors or nurses ever give me a hard time about not vaxing DD I should tell them to stop harassing me or I (or he) will contact their supervisor. That might be something you could do if you feel comfortable doing it. Oh, and you could have mentioned to her that you know someone (me!) whose DH got the flu shot (Flu Mist) and gave the flu to them:
DS was a hospital birth, no forceps or anything. BUT, he was 9lbs 12 oz and has a BIG head. It took me 3 hrs of pushing to get him out. It really is no wonder his head got so squeezed. The CST session didn't scare me, or the realeases, I am just amazed at how much he has reacted. We are keeping a close eye on him. I forgot to add that he had mucous in his poop, it looked like thick spider webs, very strange.

I get flustered around regular DRs and have a hard time asserting myself. I need to get over this because I have strong convictions and am confident I am doing the right thing. Ahh, the military system is so ackward, I am enlisted and all the DRs are officers. So, yes ma'am, I will not be getting those shots...

#439 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 09:18 AM

Wow Nolansmum, That's quite a CST story.

DD reacts by not sleeping for about 2 weeks and then she settles in. (somewhat.) I do know it helps her though. I'm going to try it myself soon!
#440 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Ummm yea all our pets are on grain free diets too. :

our family is <>< and :
#441 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 10:57 AM

Quote:
DS was a hospital birth, no forceps or anything. BUT, he was 9lbs 12 oz and has a BIG head. It took me 3 hrs of pushing to get him out. It really is no wonder his head got so squeezed. The CST session didn't scare me, or the realeases, I am just amazed at how much he has reacted. We are keeping a close eye on him. I forgot to add that he had mucous in his poop, it looked like thick spider webs, very strange.

I get flustered around regular DRs and have a hard time asserting myself. I need to get over this because I have strong convictions and am confident I am doing the right thing. Ahh, the military system is so ackward, I am enlisted and all the DRs are officers. So, yes ma'am, I will not be getting those shots...
DD had an easier birth (7 lbs 3 oz, 20 minutes of pushing) so hopefully her head won't be in too bad of shape. I just meant your DS' reaction to the session scared me!

Yeah I don't know how it would work when you go to the doctor if you're enlisted...it's not fair that they can try to intimidate you just because they outrank you. Maybe you can just do what they recommend in the vax forum--repeat that you've made your decision and it's not open for discussion over and over until they get tired and give up. Is your DH enlisted, too?
#442 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 11:00 AM

I have had stomach cramps and diarrhea for three days now and it is getting worse. I thought it was just die-off but now I think something's wrong. I don't know if I should go to the doctor or just try to wait it out. DH is out of town until tomorrow afternoon, too, so if I do go I have no one to watch DD.

Also, DD's poop must be pure acid or something. She commonly poops first thing in the morning and I didn't put her on the potty this morning when she woke up because I had to use the toilet. I could hear her poop in her diaper and it could not have been more than 5 minutes at the absolute most before I changed her diaper, and her butt had BLISTERS on it from the poop! I do not know what to do with her anymore.
#443 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I have had stomach cramps and diarrhea for three days now and it is getting worse.
I have had this too. The pain feels like stomach bug, but it is the slowest moving one that I have ever had. Started last weekend with just feeling quite nauseous. Then moved to feeling stomach pain (like I was going to have diarrhea) mainly in the evenings. Then yesterday it started in the morning. After getting the kids to school over an hour late (we have never been that late before, but I woke up 15 min before their school started ), I came home and spent the rest of the day, until I had to get them again, in bed. : Today looks like the same, but now since last night, I actually do have diarrhea. Up until then, it just felt like I should have it, or throw up. It is really weird. My experience with stomach things like this is that they come on fast and vicous, but then leave rather quickly too. This sucks! But part of me likes an excuse to just lie in bed for hours. :

As far as a doctor for this, I am not going. There is nothing my doc would be able to do for me. Maybe you have a better one.

Quote:
Also, DD's poop must be pure acid or something. She commonly poops first thing in the morning and I didn't put her on the potty this morning when she woke up because I had to use the toilet. I could hear her poop in her diaper and it could not have been more than 5 minutes at the absolute most before I changed her diaper, and her butt had BLISTERS on it from the poop! I do not know what to do with her anymore.
My DD2 would get this sometimes too. It would also happen from a pee-soaked diaper. I never really did resolve it. She is just now not in diapers. It is actually how I got her to give up her nighttime diapers. I knew that she could physically go all night w/o a diaper, but was just resistent to the idea. One morning, relatively recently, she woke up with a completely red butt -- looked burned -- all from pee. I explained to her that she wouldn't have that problem if she didn't wear diapers. It convinced her. I guess that won't so much work for you, and of course it doesn't take care of the underlying problem. I have been meaning to test her urine pH, but haven't done it yet. Not sure what I would do with that knowledge right now anyway.
#444 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 12:38 PM

I think dd might be losing weight again. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

When we cut out all fruit she gained 1 lb in 3 weeks. She has always been thin so I thought that this was a good thing. But she gained it mostly in her belly. She got that round toddler belly for the first time in her life. Well we started giving her apple sauce 2.5 weeks ago to get these herbs into her. Her round belly is gone and she is lighter on the scale. She seems fine and healthy, I'm just not sure if the round belly was a bad thing that needed to go or a good thing that I should be trying to get back. I was considering making sauce out of some other fruits becasue she is getting sick of the apple sauce (3x a day for the first week and 2x a day for the past 10 days and that will continue for 10 more days and then down to 1x a day for another month, I would get sick of it too.)

I'm giving her nofenol before these bowls of applesauce. I've never really know if phenols were an issue for her or not but figured better safe than sorry. Well berries have a lot more phenols than apples. I'm just not sure if this is yet another thing I should be worried about.... I need to get these herbs into her and I don't think she is up to swallowing the capsuls they come in (she can swallow some pills but smaller ones).

Thoughts????

I'm just worried that 1.5 more months of this could be bad for her if it is indeed making her lose weight she really doesn't need to lose (although she had finally gotten up above 50% for her weight, her height is arround 75%)

our family is <>< and :
#445 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 03:50 PM

annikate - you mentioned that meat is hard to digest for (some?) little tummies... that was a new one - an acquaintance here with a 1 yr old has spent a lot of time reading (the German) websites for solid introductions with extreme care - the mama in this case is ultrasensitive to mold and other environmental stuff that she assumed her ds would be allergic to the world, including food. she used ground turkey, mashed carrots and mashed potatoes as some of the first foods she introduced to her ds.

why is it that WAPF recommends liver and yolks as first foods (without specifying age of those first foods) ? wouldn't liver be even harder on those little tummies?

and then at what age should one be giving CLO to b'fed kids? my ND thinks that b'fed kids don't need anything except maybe probiotics - that mama should be taking any and all supplements... thoughts anyone?

(just sitting here reading the latest issue of Wise Traditions)

#446 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 03:55 PM

Pattyla-I have been making myself a 'pumkin' smoothie and I stick lots of vitamins and oils in there. It tastes decadent, like pumkin bread batter. puree in blender:
1 cup baked squash or pumkin that has been chilled in fridge
1 tbsp honey or to taste
cinnamon to taste
vanilla
2 tbsp almond or other nut butter
tbsp oil of choice

#447 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
annikate - you mentioned that meat is hard to digest for (some?) little tummies... that was a new one - an acquaintance here with a 1 yr old has spent a lot of time reading (the German) websites for solid introductions with extreme care - the mama in this case is ultrasensitive to mold and other environmental stuff that she assumed her ds would be allergic to the world, including food. she used ground turkey, mashed carrots and mashed potatoes as some of the first foods she introduced to her ds.

why is it that WAPF recommends liver and yolks as first foods (without specifying age of those first foods) ? wouldn't liver be even harder on those little tummies?

and then at what age should one be giving CLO to b'fed kids? my ND thinks that b'fed kids don't need anything except maybe probiotics - that mama should be taking any and all supplements... thoughts anyone?

I don't have links now (had a near computer crash about a month ago and cleaned the HD b/c I thought I would have to reinstall the op system). I got some good links from some of the mamas on either the enzyme-autism group or the mercury-autism group. Can't remember which one. This is also where I got the tip about lamb.

ETA: I remember something about it taking several days for babes to digest meat.
#448 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Pattyla-I have been making myself a 'pumkin' smoothie and I stick lots of vitamins and oils in there. It tastes decadent, like pumkin bread batter. puree in blender:
1 tbsp honey or to taste
cinnamon to taste
vanilla
tbsp oil of choice
that sounds yummy i've been starting to get my annual squash/pumpkin craving and was wondering how to satisfy it!

#449 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
1 tbsp honey or to taste
cinnamon to taste
vanilla
tbsp oil of choice
That sounds good! I got some local pumpkins that I need to cook up soon (trying to wait till after halloween cause dd decorated them with markers). I may have to sacrifice one. Although I just remembered, she doesn't like squash. Bummer, I love squash.

our family is <>< and :
#450 of 510 Old 10-27-2006, 05:33 PM

Quote:

I used to agree with your ND, but after it became clear to me that although the candida diet was helping me, it was not helping DD at all, I decided I had better start giving her things directly if I wanted to heal her. Both CLO and CO made a difference in the frequency of her poops, so that she now poops almost every day instead of frequently going 2-3 days between poops. (I know CO is technically a food but I give it to her for its medicinal/healing value.) She still clearly has digestive issues, though, based on the look of her poops. I'm also giving her herbal infusions and trying to get coconut milk yogurt and kefir into her (although technically I suppose those are probiotics). I gave her vitamin C for a bit, too, after she was super constipated but it made her gassy so I stopped it.

Anyhow, I guess in theory I still agree that it is best for the mama to take supplements, but in practice, it hasn't worked for us. I would have started giving DD CLO at about a year if I hadn't been trying to heal her. But anyway, once you start feeding them solids, I don't see that giving them supplements directly is really any different (I'd still be pretty cautious about giving individual vitamin or mineral supplements other than vitamin C, but CLO or herbal infusions are different IMO).

I've heard that meats are supposed to be the easiest foods to digest (besides maybe CO and good fats) but the meat I've given DD thus far she hasn't digested. Maybe if I'd given her ground meat, instead of chicken or stir-fried elk steak, she would have digested it better. I don't see why liver would be any easier to digest than those two. Sometimes you have to take the advice of the WAPF with a grain of salt--they recommend feeding babies egg yolks at 4 months and I think that is way too early to be starting babies on solids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page