Healing the Gut Tribe-October - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 510 Old 10-31-2006, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can order the Elisa kit from the lab (they offer a bunch of 'dubuious' tests) but need a script from a dr. to get the blood draw. The test is like $99 and they try to get your ins. to cover it. I have the phone # downstairs. Email back if you want it.
#482 of 510 Old 10-31-2006, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Cool. I had great luck with threelac during pregnancy. IT doens't taste bad at all....kinda lemony.
#483 of 510 Old 10-31-2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Anyway, I just got Threelac from candidasupport.com and I'm happy to report that dd is willing to take it! Yay! Hopefully, we'll see an improvement in her yeast symptoms.
Let us know how the threelac works, any reactions and so on.

FF-if you took threelac during pregnancy I assume it is ok during breastfeeding? If this is a good product why is this the first time it has been mentioned here?

We create our own reality.
#484 of 510 Old 10-31-2006, 01:21 AM

I have been thinking (it is a miracle sometimes ) don't good yeast and bacteria need to feed on something? Wouldn't they 'eat' the same things as bad yeast and bacteria?

#485 of 510 Old 10-31-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
I have been thinking (it is a miracle sometimes ) don't good yeast and bacteria need to feed on something? Wouldn't they 'eat' the same things as bad yeast and bacteria?
Thats a big can of worms, I think. You've heard of FOS. Some argue that its a bad additive b/c *bad* bugs feed on it as well as good. Others say it is not fed on by bad bugs (although I htink this has been pretty soundly debunked). Now, there is a chain length involved (as in how many chains are in the carb). FOS is short, while something called inulin is longer, and therefore supposedly feeds good bugs better (I cant remember exactly why, maybe Cademyn can chime in). This goes back to something JaneS posted about a friend who overcame yeast with a more balanced diet. Im starting to wonder how well anything done too much helps. Again, it seems to be a matter of finding what works for your body. One good thing about kefir is that it provides good bugs, and the little sugar in there feed them (and those already present) but likely also feeds bad bugs, but its a trade off. Hopefully the benefits outweigh the detriment? Ive also heard that its a good idea to eat something (a sprouted tortilla) every couple days to feed the good bugs. Ive also been wondering about herbs aimed at yeast - dont they also affect good bugs? Like garlic. Its anti-bacterial isnt it? Some brands of pro-b's instruct to take them 2 hrs away from herbal anti-fungals. I dont really know about any of this, and would like to hear others ideas...

...although, I am sooo discouraged lately that Im guessing the answer is "its different for everybody" or "try it and see how it works for you". Sorry. Now that I have gerd, Im having a hard time carrying all this. Both seem interminable, and the diet needed for both, and the physical discomfort of the gerd, is making me miserable. Again, sorry.

On threelac, Ive heard good and bad (shocker). The good is that it works (with the diet, etc. despite their claim that you dont need to adjust diet). The bad is that some people become very sick using it.

Have any of you looked at Walt Stolls site much? What do you think?

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#486 of 510 Old 10-31-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
Thats a big can of worms, I think. You've heard of FOS. Some argue that its a bad additive b/c *bad* bugs feed on it as well as good. Others say it is not fed on by bad bugs (although I htink this has been pretty soundly debunked). Now, there is a chain length involved (as in how many chains are in the carb). FOS is short, while something called inulin is longer, and therefore supposedly feeds good bugs better (I cant remember exactly why, maybe Cademyn can chime in). This goes back to something JaneS posted about a friend who overcame yeast with a more balanced diet. Im starting to wonder how well anything done too much helps. Again, it seems to be a matter of finding what works for your body. One good thing about kefir is that it provides good bugs, and the little sugar in there feed them (and those already present) but likely also feeds bad bugs, but its a trade off. Hopefully the benefits outweigh the detriment? Ive also heard that its a good idea to eat something (a sprouted tortilla) every couple days to feed the good bugs. Ive also been wondering about herbs aimed at yeast - dont they also affect good bugs? Like garlic. Its anti-bacterial isnt it? Some brands of pro-b's instruct to take them 2 hrs away from herbal anti-fungals. I dont really know about any of this, and would like to hear others ideas...

...although, I am sooo discouraged lately that Im guessing the answer is "its different for everybody" or "try it and see how it works for you". Sorry. Now that I have gerd, Im having a hard time carrying all this. Both seem interminable, and the diet needed for both, and the physical discomfort of the gerd, is making me miserable. Again, sorry.

On threelac, Ive heard good and bad (shocker). The good is that it works (with the diet, etc. despite their claim that you dont need to adjust diet). The bad is that some people become very sick using it.

Have any of you looked at Walt Stolls site much? What do you think?
I try to stay away from both FOS and inulin. They're both controversial, and I think if someone wants the "benefits" of them, it's best to get them from the foods that naturally contain them, like onions for FOS. JMHO

It seems logical to me that anti-fungals like garlic and coconut oil must primarily damage the bad bugs. I say this because people have been eating them as part of their regular diets for thousands of years, and if they killed off all the good bacteria, etc, those people would have had a lot of health problems, and that isn't the case. I don't know how that applies to more medicinal-type things like oil of oregano or grapefruit seed extract. I don't know if anybody really knows. Also, garlic and coconut oil both support/enhance your immune system and I don't think they could do that if they were killing off all the good bacteria in your gut. Same thing with vitamin C--it supports your immune system but is anti-fungal in large doses.

I think Threelac actually has been mentioned before, but it's just like all the other "miracle cures"...it works for some, doesn't work for a good percentage of people, and makes some people worse. From reading different candida boards, the overall impression I've gotton of Threelac is that it doesn't do much for most people, although some people do say it's helped them a lot.
#487 of 510 Old 10-31-2006, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

You mean on Mothering or in this group? I have seen many discussions on Mothering (and participated in some as well.) I had good luck with it when nothing else worked in pg. I am very good at getting control over yeast, but even doing everything I had done with success before I was getting no relief. I decided to try threelac because it has different strains and I thought maybe that was my issue-needing more variety in the strains. It did work, I saw a difference in about a week (I had visible physical symptoms.) I didn't adjust my diet, as I was eating a very good diet (in theory) But hte point is, the diet and probiotics weren't working until I introduced the threelac.

Worked for me, but not in a way that I was so confident about it that I'd be recommending it to people all over the place. I guess it's worth a try if you don't happen to be getting results no matter what and it's clearly yeast that's the issue.
#488 of 510 Old 10-31-2006, 01:58 PM

firefaery--did you have yeast issues again in your last pregnancy?
#489 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

I did at the end. My constitutional didn't hep and neither did anything else. IT was weird, everything had been under control for so long. Looking back I have a great idea about what was wrong, but in the moment I had no idea. I was doing everything right. Since there isn't a TON of things you can do in pregnancy and I wanted to avoid thrush I tried the threelac. It worked in my situation.
#490 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 02:52 AM

What's FOS?

I'll keep you all posted on Threelac.
#491 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 12:10 PM

FOS (fruct0-oligo-sacharide) is a kind of sugar that is said to only feed good bugs, but I think now many people are starting to doubt that. Many probiotics include it, but not all, and the two sides make claims about it, pro and con.

I didnt mean to say I endorse using any of those things, I definitely believe in getting what you need from whole foods, but I do wonder/worry about overcompensating and causing as many problems, but just different, by treating the yeast.

Im confused about it. It seems like I know as many people who have treated themselves for yeast successfully and gone on with their lives as I do people who seem never to get rid of it. I understand that finding individual balance is key, but why do we have to work so hard when so many others (the majority) go about normal eating/drinking and dont get into trouble? For example, it sounds like most of us were going blythely about our lives before either having kid[s] with issues or suddenly having issues ourselves. Im NOT advocating SAD, I just really dont get it. Ive talked a lot about dis-ease with Dh and he underscores that people just get sick, no one expects it. I guess that's just the way it is. Sorry if Im a downer - I guess Im working on the acceptance part of this *journey* as much or more than the symptoms and diet/treatment. ...or acceptance is part of my journey.... bla bla bla

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#492 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I understand that finding individual balance is key, but why do we have to work so hard when so many others (the majority) go about normal eating/drinking and dont get into trouble? For example, it sounds like most of us were going blythely about our lives before either having kid[s] with issues or suddenly having issues ourselves.
The thing is, the majority of people ARE sick, they just don't know and/or don't know how to or don't want to bother fixing it. My family was generally pretty "healthy"...I had multiple ear infections as a baby, hypoglycemia starting at about 14, acne, and issues with gas and yeast-infection-type itching from a young age. My sister had multiple ear infections and strep throat, mono, pleurisy, severe acne, lots of cavities, and seems to catch anything that's going around. My brother had a lot of eye infections and has severe acne. My dad has chronic constipation and fungal toe infections along with diverticulosis/-litis (can't ever remember which is which). My mom has hypothroidism and gastoenteritis and acne. But none of us has allergies/eczema/asthma, and we'd probably all consider ourselves pretty healthy.

People consider chronic constipation, allergies, eczema, asthma, gas, bloating, stomach rumbling, cavities, etc etc "normal", and it's not 'til you have some sort of more drastic wake-up call that you realize that they're NOT normal or healthy and begin to look for solutions...and the majority of people never come to that realization, or if they do, they look only to allopathic medicine for a "solution".
#493 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 01:25 PM

ITA with caedmyn, I think most of us have just learned to live at a lower standard of health because western medicine doesn't deal with chronic problems very well and views most as symptoms to be managed with drugs. I had PCOS, depression, and chronic migraines, but nobody said anything to me about diet -- well, some suggested low carbing for the PCOS, and one doctor suggested I cut out nuts, cheese, chocolate for the migraines, but they never talked about my chronic yeast infections or looked at my hair loss or any of that.

I am so tired of fighthing these yeasties, but I am sure that I can get over them eventually.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#494 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 01:37 PM

I am pretty convinced my diarrhea was caused by the water kefir grains. It was starting to go away yesterday and I have been gradually adding adding fermented foods back to my diet. Well at lunch I forgot about "gradually" and had a little bit of water kefir, and some fermented ketchup, cabbage relish, and pickles. Within 1/2 an hour my diarrhea totally came back It finally seems to be going away again, but it seems pretty clear that the fermented foods/water kefirs caused it. I would have thought after all this time on the candida diet/anti-fungals/probiotic foods with little die-off I wouldn't have had a huge reaction to them, but apparently there was more yeast in there than I thought. There must be an all-out war between the good and bad bugs going on in my gut--I think the good ones are winning, but the bad ones sure are kicking my butt on the way out

Any suggestions on how to help DD's eczema? It isn't bad but it's spreading--in the last few days it's popped up in little patches on the backs of her arms and her upper legs I just don't know what else to do to help her. I take CLO and so does she, and I take 3000 mg of EPO a day. She gets probiotics a couple of times a day, along with maybe 1 Tbsp/day of CO and an ounce or two of coconut milk yogurt, and no other solids right now. I'd feed her more yogurt if I could but it's really a struggle just to get that much of it into her. Oh, and I have been giving her a little bit of nettle infusion and I started giving her a few sips of my dandelion root/burdock root decoction today. I've put CO and sweet almond oil on her eczema but they don't seem to help.
#495 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 02:00 PM

Is there someone here who sees a good classical homeopath in (or near) CT? I'll be in CT at the end of this month and I was considering seeing if I could get an appointment. I'm dying to know what dd's constitutional remedy is.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#496 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
I am so tired of fighthing these yeasties, but I am sure that I can get over them eventually.
That's good to hear once in awhile - I feel that way deep down.

The thing is, I really didnt have anything going on. I have had depression, but I also come from a disfunctional family and can trace the depression to when that all started. I have been an athlete most of my life, I never got sick, all my grandparents lived to their late 90's at home, etc. No one in my family has any chronic stuff, so Ive had this idea that we are hearty stock. I do now see that MANY people have health issues, especially after talking to some friends about what Im doing (they come forward with all these yeast issues.... so crazy), and that my diet has been carb heavy, albeit healthy in the way I knew healthy before now (no white, sprouted, etc). Anyway, I find this so interesting b/c again I was at a potluck last night with all my robust friends and they were eating whatever they want (pumpkin soup w/ ham, hummus - nothing SAD ). Gotta go, but I like this conversation. Thanks for responding!

#497 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 02:45 PM

firefaery--do you know anything about making herbal ointments/salves? I'm thinking about trying to make a couple of herbal ointments for DD's skin, one with calendula and the other with sarsaparilla. The other ingredients are shea butter and beeswax.
#498 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 03:00 PM

Another ? for ff: (and anyone else)

Gonna post in h&h later too - nak

DD1 has the terrible habit of sucking on & biting her bottom lip. It is red & raw. While she's getting somewhat better abouut biting it, now she's picking off the dry healing peices of skin.

Sometimes it looks red, *wet* and (yeast-y?) Other times just orange-ish and crusty.

I've tried coconut cream (from Tropical Traditions) which does help some, I've tried Emu cream and abtibiotic cream.

I realize that it won't completely heal until she leaves it alone, but what do you think would work best? Do you think this is yeast?
#499 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 03:27 PM

Annikate, that sounds yeast-y to me. I don't know how old your dd is, but you could use gentian violet since it's safe if she ingests it.

? about FOS--are we talking about fructose (sugar from fruit)? That's supposed to be "safe" on SCD, right? But not necessarily good for the yeast. . . Sorry if these are dumb questions. I got my books Breaking the Vicious Cycle and Enzymes for Autism, but I haven't started them yet.
#500 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
Is there someone here who sees a good classical homeopath in (or near) CT? I'll be in CT at the end of this month and I was considering seeing if I could get an appointment. I'm dying to know what dd's constitutional remedy is.
Yup. And if you're in Tolland you'll be close.
http://www.drshevin.com/
http://www.minimum.com/p7/engine/auth.asp?n=1039
#501 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
firefaery--do you know anything about making herbal ointments/salves? I'm thinking about trying to make a couple of herbal ointments for DD's skin, one with calendula and the other with sarsaparilla. The other ingredients are shea butter and beeswax.
What would you like to know?
#502 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
Another ? for ff: (and anyone else)

Gonna post in h&h later too - nak

DD1 has the terrible habit of sucking on & biting her bottom lip. It is red & raw. While she's getting somewhat better abouut biting it, now she's picking off the dry healing peices of skin.

Sometimes it looks red, *wet* and (yeast-y?) Other times just orange-ish and crusty.

I've tried coconut cream (from Tropical Traditions) which does help some, I've tried Emu cream and abtibiotic cream.

I realize that it won't completely heal until she leaves it alone, but what do you think would work best? Do you think this is yeast?
My dd does this and I have great success with colloidal silver. I don't have her drink it, I just spray it on her mouth. It will manage fungal or bacterial infections-I really like it.
#503 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 07:29 PM

saskiasmom, depression is yet another symtom of a problem of the gut. PM Gale Force for a pdf of her book she is working on -- precisely on this topic (well, postpartum).
#504 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Do you see him? I'm trying to decide between taking dd to him and going through with my appointment on sat for dd to be seen by an acupuncturist who sees children. I don't think dh will agree to both. (frankly the way we have been hemoraging money lately I don't feel good about both either). I'm just not sure... It would be good to know her constitutional remedy though... I have heard such miracle cures from kids given their right remedy... I would really like a miracle cure here.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#505 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 08:17 PM

Quote:
My dd does this and I have great success with colloidal silver. I don't have her drink it, I just spray it on her mouth. It will manage fungal or bacterial infections-I really like it.
Good 'cause I just put some on her. I have a dropper and just put some on my finger and rubbed it in. Hope it works!
#506 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
saskiasmom, depression is yet another symtom of a problem of the gut. PM Gale Force for a pdf of her book she is working on -- precisely on this topic (well, postpartum).
saskiasmom,
Yes, and here's a thread about it. I've learned TONS here and used some suggestions too.
#507 of 510 Old 11-01-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
What would you like to know?
I don't know...how to make them, if those herbs would do well as ointments/salves, that sort of thing. I'd like something I can make in a day, not something that has to sit for several weeks before it's ready.
#508 of 510 Old 11-02-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Pattyla-he is my homeopath. I love him.

Caedmyn, I'll pm you when I have two free hands...
#509 of 510 Old 11-02-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Im confused about it. It seems like I know as many people who have treated themselves for yeast successfully and gone on with their lives as I do people who seem never to get rid of it. I understand that finding individual balance is key, but why do we have to work so hard when so many others (the majority) go about normal eating/drinking and dont get into trouble? For example, it sounds like most of us were going blythely about our lives before either having kid[s] with issues or suddenly having issues ourselves. Im NOT advocating SAD, I just really dont get it. Ive talked a lot about dis-ease with Dh and he underscores that people just get sick, no one expects it. I guess that's just the way it is. Sorry if Im a downer - I guess Im working on the acceptance part of this *journey* as much or more than the symptoms and diet/treatment. ...or acceptance is part of my journey.... bla bla bla
I struggle with these issues daily, esp when the results are so slow in coming.
I think that we are striving for a level of health that most people never consider is possible. And by not possible I mean they are unwilling to change their lives because they are so addicted to SAD. Many people talk to me about my diet because they have problems (yeast, IBS) and a couple of them have attempted some form of SCD or NT.. In Enzymes for Autism, she mentioned a timeline for gut healing and said with the enzymes and no or very little diet changes you should be well on the way to healing in 2-3 months. I wish! Right now I am stuck in the begining stages of SCD, eating about 15 foods, afraid to try anything for fear that DS's cheeks will rage out of control. They are on the verge of being out of control now and I have no idea what it is from, I feel ready to give up. His cheeks are far worse then they ever were when I was eating SAD and I don't think that it is from 'healing reactions.'

#510 of 510 Old 11-02-2006, 06:44 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page