Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2006, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Here is a pic of us from last year

Dried nuts have to stay under 120 I think? FF would know for sure.
Link's not working for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Moonshine-me neither! I wanna see!

Nuts should stay beneath 118 to be considered raw. Fallon has different ideas on what constitutes raw for different foods based on fat content, but the raw world maintains under 118. I'm with them.

I buy raw when I buy them, but you're really talking about which is the lesser of two evils. Raw will still have phytates as they are generally NOT soaked, but roasted will have acrylamides. There are those that hypothesize that raw when bought conventionally aren't truly raw as the nuts heat up past 118 during the grinding. I prefer the taste of raw regardless.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:43 AM

does this link work? yahoo changed their stuff around, and now I can't figure out how to link to a pic.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
I never had that feeling really, I was just *ahem-ing* a lot and feeling like I needed to keep swallowing yk? It wasn't really uncomfortable though.

I hate to admit it but while I was strict about the anti-candida thing (for a whole week and a half ) it did go away. Once I started fruit (and chocolate) again it came back a little.

That anti-candida diet messed me up so terribly that I started wondering why I was placing faith in a crazy homeopath to tell me what's right for me when clearly, the last 9 months or so on the SCD were working. I went back to *my way* with a few cheats here and there (like chocolate) and now I'm back to feeling normal again.
that a-hem feeling is the first symptom i get when i have anything with uncultured (pasteurized) dairy. then it cascades from there into really bad postnasal drip, sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 10-04-2006, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! Now I can put a face to the voice! You look so much like my bf when I was little-very strange. Your girls are precious.

I gotta figure out how to post pics. I couldn't even post a belly pic in my ddc which is too bad as it is rather...adorned. Makes for a pretty pregnant belly!
Old 10-04-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyofPunkiePie View Post
Here is a picture of DD and me from a wedding in May, and some of her from about two weeks ago.
http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...ver/Elizabeth/
Georgeous! YOur DD already has a grace about her.

We create our own reality.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
does this link work? yahoo changed their stuff around, and now I can't figure out how to link to a pic.
Sweet girls!

Old 10-04-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Moonshine-me neither! I wanna see!

Nuts should stay beneath 118 to be considered raw. Fallon has different ideas on what constitutes raw for different foods based on fat content, but the raw world maintains under 118. I'm with them.

I buy raw when I buy them, but you're really talking about which is the lesser of two evils. Raw will still have phytates as they are generally NOT soaked, but roasted will have acrylamides. There are those that hypothesize that raw when bought conventionally aren't truly raw as the nuts heat up past 118 during the grinding. I prefer the taste of raw regardless.
Ok, so if I buy whole raw nuts from the store are they really raw? Or do I need to get them from a special place online for them to be truly raw? Then I can soak them and dry them in a dehydrator? How long on SCD before you were able to tolerate raw nut butters?

Old 10-04-2006, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to use them from the get go-thank god!

Nuts, if they are labelled raw are generally truly raw with the exception of cashews which are cooked out of their shells. You can get them truly raw, for a price. Peanuts are hard to find raw as well, but if you're interested I do have a source.

Once you have them just soak and dehydrate, then process. I often don't even dehydrate.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:25 PM

FF- to post a pic: I'm assuming it is on your computer somewhere. Go to an image hosting site. You will see a button that says 'browse'. Click on it to find the photo in your computer. Then click on 'host it'. The next screen you come to will have a bunch of links you can copy and paste in a post.

Thanks for the info on the nuts, I am going to try grinding them right after I soak them next time around and see how my tummy does with that. I am not doing cashews or peanuts for now...

Old 10-04-2006, 01:26 PM

Great pictures everyone! I'll get on the ball and post something, sometime.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:19 PM

I'm going to try to post a couple of pictures...
http://target.new.photos.yahoo.com/t...03057788392/34

This is me and DD at 4 months old (I couldn't find a good recent picture of both of us).

http://target.new.photos.yahoo.com/t...803057797442/4

And this is DD about a month ago.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:38 PM

: I don't know why I am still coming here. Homeopathic doc put ds on gluten-free only since his excema took over his body in July and August. Of course, ds's excema is ALWAYS dormant in Sept. thru Dec. and starts up again in January only to be worse in Feb thru March and gets better in April - June and gets bad in July and August.

Doc think s the gluten-free is working but I told him that ds excema was 60% gone by the time we tried the gluten-free.

I want to do enzymes with ds for 2 more months while we do gluten-free. SCD is too restrictive for us here and mostly because we can't due nuts.

I do the 24-hour yoghurt and finally!!! am able to get ds to eat it. I put just a pinch of stevia in it and now he asks for mommy's raw yoghurt

I am STILL looking for hope and wisdom from you mammas!:
Old 10-04-2006, 03:19 PM

New to this tribe ... nak

my ds1 has a very extensive medical history. due to being a 26-week preemie with severe chronic lung disease he spent the first three years or so of his life on steroids and antibiotics almost monthly. He also is G-tube fed and we have used primarily commercial formulas. I recently switched to a homemade formula posted by another MDC member that has no artificial sweeteners, uses whole organic yogurt, no preservatives, organic ingredients whenever possible, etc and he is doing VERY well so far on this, and I am so much more comfortable with this. I am hoping for suggestions on where to start with healing his gut. I have been giving him cod liver oil and probiotics as well as a multi and calcium/mag supplements but yesterday he had a very red, blistery rash in his diaper area, which I wondered if it could be a yeast die-off type of reaction from eliminating the corn syrup and having no more refined sugars in his diet?

I did read through some posts - I find this thread a little overwhelming in its size. Links to relevant discussions are welcome, too, I don't want anyone to feel they are repeating frequently asked questions over and over.

TIA!

ETA: DS is non-verbal, so has no way of telling me how he is feeling other than through his behavior, if that makes any difference in how you might choose any supplements or anything. Thanks!

Mamma to three boys : We love :::
Old 10-04-2006, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

crazycat- I have a fussy two month old on my lap. I'll be back, but just wanted to say welcome.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:37 PM

I ought to know the answer to this question (and other rudimentary ?s I've been asking myself lately) but:
If one is allergic to wheat are they automatically and always allergic to gluten?
Old 10-04-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

No. There are different proteins that you could be having a problem with. Certainly a gluten sensitivity if far more common, but there are some who just have a wheat allergy.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
Oh on another site I'm on there is a mom who is seeing a DAN Dr' for her ds. He sent him to a ped GI who scoped him and said that the yeast is becasue of inflamation and if you can get the inflamation undercontrol the yeast will go away too. This kid is on some anti-inflamatory drugs, not anti yeast drugs. Anyone know anything about this angle?
That makes sense, actually, because a lot of people with candida overgrowth have autoimmune diseases like fibro, chronic fatigue, etc. and also, diabetes is considered by some to be caused by chronic inflammation. And diabetes is associated with a higher risk of candida. My candida is caused by my PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which is thought by many to be also caused by chronic inflammation. I also have asthma, which is an inflammatory condition, too.

Chronic inflammation is very hot right now, by the way. There are many theories about what causes it, including high carb diets, food intolerances, stress and genetics. All I know is I don't want to be on anti-inflammatories, since they cause a lot of problems (like immune system shutdown, etc.). What I don't know is what the solution to it is. I do know many say to keep grains, carbs, and dairy to a minimum. But that's just one approach.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 10-04-2006, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

I think it's a chicken vs. the egg thing. A damaged gut has been shown time and again to predispose people to autoimmune diseases, PCOS, asthma, diabetes etc. Is it because of the inflammation? Partially, yes. The inflammation creates all kinds of problems, but why is there inflammation? Something happens to cause it.

I'm not saying anyone's doc is wrong-but here's my belief: It all starts with gut health. All of it. A damaged gut will interfere with hormones, disrupt pituitary and thyroid function, mess with your adrenals and so on and so forth. IT is at the beginning of pretty much all ailments. It controls the immune system, the nervous system, pretty much everything. A damaged gut can and will lead to all kinds of things (as we all know) and I firmly believe that all these conditions can be reversed and healed if we tackle the main underlying problem. Of course then you need to figure how to do that-which diet, which supplements and what (if any) energy work which I believe is really essential. It can be homeopathy, accupuncture, anything really that creates that necessary shift. We often forget that we need to be in a specific emotional space to start down the healing path-otherwise you may have all the pieces and the body isn't ready to receive them.

Inflammation is a very hot topic now, and it should be. Pretty much everybody nowadays has some degree of inflammation. I just think we need to look deeper. It isn't a state we are meant to be in. It is a defense against something. We need to examine what it is we are doing to cause it. Antiinflammatory drugs (IMO) are just suppressing the symptoms, not dealing with the cause.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the welcome firefaery! I am looking forward to any responses. I also wanted to add, DS is autistic and the formula he had been on was gf/cf (Elecare - it is 55% corn syrup solids, 6% soy and is an amino-acid based formula for kids who have trouble tolerating other formulas.) I did not notice major behavioral changes in the year since he was started on Elecare. He has made tremendous progress with a new private therapy program and since we pulled him out of school and he has been able to stay away from the bulk of cold/flu viruses. This new formula does use whole grain breads and cow's milk organic whole yogurt, so obviously is not gf/cf. I have not seen any behavioral changes in the 4-5 days since we started this but I know it is still early. The diaper rash does seem to be a bit worse this afternoon, very red/raw with some small bleeding areas, perhaps a little bit bigger area than earlier today.

Just wanted to add this in case it helps at all ... I haven't seen this bad a rash on him before that I can recall. Would it likely be yeast? Or maybe due to adding back the gluten/casein products? I'm not even really sure what to use on it ... it isn't just the prickly type diaper rash that I've seen in the past, and my DS2 really has never had diaper rash to speak of so I haven't had a lot of need for that stuff.

I am really thankful to have found this site - I have learned so much in so many areas. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!!!

Old 10-04-2006, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Have you read Enzymes for Autism and Other Neurological Conditions? That may really help you.

It's hard to say without seeing the rash. My dd gets a horrid rash on her bum if she gets exposed to gluten. The two things I use are colloidal silver (anti fungal anti bacterial and anti viral-so it stops anything without identifying it-also very soothing) and then rescue remedy cream. Works wonders. I've never had to use anything else and she gets NASTY rashes.

There are GFCF options for formula if you are interested. I didn't use them (I did make my own formula, but we used raw goat milk as the base) but I think others have.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:38 PM

crazycat, welcome. My heart goes out to you in dealing with your struggles. No advice, but stick around -- you will learn a lot.

caedymn, clicked on your links and yahoo told me "Uh-oh, something bad happened." And no pic.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:42 PM

I'm going to try to post a photo link, too, also yahoo. It's from about a year ago, pre-scd. I have longer hair, and am a bit unhealthier looking now. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jredwi...cd.jpg&.src=ph

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 10-04-2006, 05:43 PM

Thanks! I will check out that book for sure. Would those recipes be posted on this forum somewhere? I wonder if I just totally overwhelmed his system by switching so suddenly back to formula that was not gf/cf He never used to have rashes like this when he was on different formulas, but I would have to check how long it's been since he was on a gluten containing formula ... I'd have to recheck ingredients. He was only just determined to be autistic last November so prior to that we didn't have any concern over the gluten/casein and weren't considering that at all. I would love to see the other recipes. Other than the rash he is tolerating this formula so much better and seems much more comfortable overall. Plus it goes easily through his tubing without clogging up, which is important. Also, he is actually starting to actually EAT baby foods (he's had an entire 4-ounce jar so far today) ... which is huge since he has never taken more than a tiny taste or two more than 2-3 times in the past 2-3 years, and never prior to that ... so his interest in food is definitely a new thing and the formula is the only thing that has changed ...

Thanks again!

Old 10-04-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycat View Post
Thanks! I will check out that book for sure. Would those recipes be posted on this forum somewhere? I wonder if I just totally overwhelmed his system by switching so suddenly back to formula that was not gf/cf He never used to have rashes like this when he was on different formulas, but I would have to check how long it's been since he was on a gluten containing formula ... I'd have to recheck ingredients. He was only just determined to be autistic last November so prior to that we didn't have any concern over the gluten/casein and weren't considering that at all. I would love to see the other recipes. Other than the rash he is tolerating this formula so much better and seems much more comfortable overall. Plus it goes easily through his tubing without clogging up, which is important. Also, he is actually starting to actually EAT baby foods (he's had an entire 4-ounce jar so far today) ... which is huge since he has never taken more than a tiny taste or two more than 2-3 times in the past 2-3 years, and never prior to that ... so his interest in food is definitely a new thing and the formula is the only thing that has changed ...

Thanks again!
Have you read Children With Starving Brains by McCandless? If not it's a must read for anyone dealing with kids w/ASD or gut problems. She lays out *exactly* what you can do righy NOW to help. If there were only one book ever written on this topic that I could recommend, that'd be it.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Annikate-just curious, have you read Karen DeFelice's book? I much preferred it, but I'm a whacko anyway! : I just wasn't thrilled with McCandless. Perhaps I should read it again.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:03 PM

YK, I ordered it early on in this healing process and never really read the whole thing. I read McCandless a couple of months ago after I had learned a lot so maybe that's why hers resonated w/me more than Karen's. I should re-read it. (Or read it through that is!)

I'm not ADHD but I tend to read several books at once and if one stops being interesting to me, I rarely pick it back up.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:03 PM

I think we are getting die off in dd!!! : I haven't ever thought this before with her.

Of course this means she is nuts : but that is good, right????

We are just hitting her hard with probiotics right now w/o adding anything back to her diet. I'm giving her reuteri 2x a day and lots of kombucha. (not really sure how much). Her reaction is the "I got something I shouldn't" reaction but since I know she isn't getting anything new but those probiotics and they aren't new, just in greater ammounts, I think it is die off.

In general she is in good spirits, just tough at nap time/bedtime. Thankfully dh does bedtime. :

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 10-04-2006, 06:05 PM

I ate some bulghar wheat today without looking at the ingredients list. Only a bite but I know it'll affect dd's sleep (as if getting 2 molars at once isn't enough.)

I bought some falafels at WF and didn't look at the list 'cause the girls were fussing and *gulp* swallowed it before I could spit it out.

QUESTION:
Theoretically, when I am healed completely, will I be able to ingest wheat and it NOT pass through b'milk to dd? Not that I would, but does gut healing prevent it passing through b'milk? It doesn't does it?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
I think we are getting die off in dd!!! : I haven't ever thought this before with her.

Of course this means she is nuts : but that is good, right????

We are just hitting her hard with probiotics right now w/o adding anything back to her diet. I'm giving her reuteri 2x a day and lots of kombucha. (not really sure how much). Her reaction is the "I got something I shouldn't" reaction but since I know she isn't getting anything new but those probiotics and they aren't new, just in greater ammounts, I think it is die off.

In general she is in good spirits, just tough at nap time/bedtime. Thankfully dh does bedtime. :
Do you think it's the kombucha killing the yeast? Or do you think it's the retueri? I haven't tried kombucha at all yet for any of us.

User Tag List