Healing the Gut Tribe-October - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 510 Old 10-14-2006, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would I be better off doing some kind of elim diet first, before starting SCD? I mean, it seems like it would be dumb to start eating lots of nuts and eggs if those happen to be what ds is reacting to. But I have to admit, even THINKING about that makes me feel like I'm gonna die. I already have food restrictions (can only eat fairly minimal carbs) so the idea of giving up dairy and eggs and nuts all at once is pretty awful. Meat and veggies, that would be about it. And doing this on top of pumping and low supply, ugh. I guess I have to get a script so I can supplement with Neocate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 510 Old 10-14-2006, 02:56 PM

Argh! So what the heck am I supposed to feed her if she's reacting to avocado or CO?
#183 of 510 Old 10-15-2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Argh! So what the heck am I supposed to feed her if she's reacting to avocado or CO?
We are dealing with multiple food intolerances too. Maybe it was just too much avocado at once? Maybe some pureed lamb or turkey?

We create our own reality.
#184 of 510 Old 10-15-2006, 01:17 AM

I am readin g 'Enzymes for Autism' right now and I wish I would have read this book earlier! So much of the information is hitting home.

I have a couple of questions...

I re started SCD from the beginning and I have upped my enzyme intake, I do with all meals and Candex inbetween meals. I have also been taking a lot of raw garlic. But I want to add an anti fungal when I take the Candex. Can I use Olive Leaf Extract while breastfeeding? All the labels say check with your practitioner. Also, what do I look for in a good brand of OLE? I found this on ethat seems good to me (has the least amount of other active ingredients)
http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...jsp?id=CF-1684

How much would I take?

I have gotten my ADD DH to take enzymes now! He will never agree to a strict diet. I can feed him well while he is at home but there is only so much I can do. Hoping to see changes...

#185 of 510 Old 10-15-2006, 04:16 AM

Nolansmom, the only antifungal that I know of that's safe while bfing is garlic, but that doesn't mean it's the only one.

Carly, if your ds is 11 months, isn't he eating enough solids that you don't need to supplement with formula? I see in your sig he's not nursing -- does he drink from a cup? If so, could he drink a homemade breastmilk substitute? Neocate has corn syrup in it doesnt it? An elimination diet can be helpful for some allergic reactions. As far as low carb SCD, here is what the official site says: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ydrate_scd.htm

Annikate, I think you could use the whey, but the probiotics are probably pretty depleted. If the yogurt smells OK, you could use the yogurt in baking, since the probiotics are mostly gone.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#186 of 510 Old 10-15-2006, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama-a-llama View Post
Would I be better off doing some kind of elim diet first, before starting SCD? I mean, it seems like it would be dumb to start eating lots of nuts and eggs if those happen to be what ds is reacting to. But I have to admit, even THINKING about that makes me feel like I'm gonna die. I already have food restrictions (can only eat fairly minimal carbs) so the idea of giving up dairy and eggs and nuts all at once is pretty awful. Meat and veggies, that would be about it. And doing this on top of pumping and low supply, ugh. I guess I have to get a script so I can supplement with Neocate?
IMO & experience, elimination diets just don't work. I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't remember your story (there are so many mamas here!) Why can't you do eggs or nuts or dairy?

There are other mamas here who can talk about doing SCD dairy and egg free and even mamas who do it w/out nuts too.

The beginning of this diet is difficult, but is worth it. It has helped my b'feeding dd immensely.
#187 of 510 Old 10-15-2006, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Carly, if your ds is 11 months, isn't he eating enough solids that you don't need to supplement with formula? I see in your sig he's not nursing -- does he drink from a cup? If so, could he drink a homemade breastmilk substitute? Neocate has corn syrup in it doesnt it? An elimination diet can be helpful for some allergic reactions.
He unfortunately is currently 100% tube fed (and 100% breastmilk fed, supplementing with donor milk). I haven't yet introduced solids, although I was considering starting to puree them in with the milk. I want to do a homemade formula, but didn't want to start him on a dairy based one if he were allergic to it. And I wasn't sure how complete a bm substitute I could make if I were trying to elim dairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
IMO & experience, elimination diets just don't work. I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't remember your story (there are so many mamas here!) Why can't you do eggs or nuts or dairy?
Ds has eczema and a nasty red ring on his bottom. I didn't want to start SCD and be eating more nuts and eggs if that was what he was allergic to. I was thinking about eliminating the big 8. My sister was allergic to eggs as a kid, I was allergic to dairy (and wheat). There may be allergy testing in our future. The feeding clinic drs want his ped to order a CBC with differential IgE, apparently to see if he might be having food allergies that contribute to his total lack of eating by mouth.

Quote:
The beginning of this diet is difficult, but is worth it. It has helped my b'feeding dd immensely.
Does BTVC talk anywhere about how to add foods back after the intro diet? Maybe I'm just missing it. I know Pecanbread has stages, but didn't see it in the book.
#188 of 510 Old 10-15-2006, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

No-Elaine just sort of leaves it up to you! IT's been a frustration for many a mama.

Isn't Enzymes for Autism WONDERFUL? I can't recommend it enough. It's my favorite book to refer people to for gut stuff. The title can throw people off, but it's just so clear.

We found the SCD to be immensely helpful. We did it egg and dairy free, then put eggs back after a period of time. IT was definitely do-able.

Elimination diets are really not that beneficial. IF you take out the foods that you (or your dc) are reacting to and replace them with something else you will ultimately end up with a new allergy. It is very important to heal your gut. You can take out those foods if you choose, just don't do it without taking large steps to close up those leaks.

So I'm working on a new therapy. I will keep you all posted. I'm making my own homeopathic remedy for the allergies. I will consider it a success if we can reintroduce the big foods with no reaction. If that happens I will post the results and maybe we will have a new tool in the arsenal!
#189 of 510 Old 10-15-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
So I'm working on a new therapy. I will keep you all posted. I'm making my own homeopathic remedy for the allergies. I will consider it a success if we can reintroduce the big foods with no reaction. If that happens I will post the results and maybe we will have a new tool in the arsenal!
Awesome! I wanna learn how to do that! Please post your progress - I'm very interested. Good luck!
#190 of 510 Old 10-15-2006, 05:04 PM

Quote:
sounds interesting, hope it works! Are you talking about the dairy allergy, soy or all of them?

Do you know about Olive Leaf Extract, if it is saf ewhile BF?

#191 of 510 Old 10-15-2006, 07:08 PM

Quote:

Elimination diets are really not that beneficial. IF you take out the foods that you (or your dc) are reacting to and replace them with something else you will ultimately end up with a new allergy. It is very important to heal your gut. You can take out those foods if you choose, just don't do it without taking large steps to close up those leaks.!
I have been worried about this, especially after I realized that we could handle rye but not spelt on this elim diet. I just started buying this sourdough rye that is made where we live during this diet, but used spelt as my main baking grain all through this pregnancy. I am so afraid to go ahead and think rye is ok, and eat it regularly, because won't we just end up reacting to that. And rice so often...seems like that could lead to a reaction.

On the other hand, it did seem like we needed to find our triggers before we start SCD, and we are doing enzymes, reuteri, kefir, and I need to find a another baby dairy free probiotic for dd, and one with other buggies for me. I hope this starts the healing so that we don't start reacting to the things we are eating now.

Speaking of the reuteri, from the limited time I have to get on and do my research, I understand that we get this strain from breastfeeding. So...I am wondering if I was never breastfed, does that mean I don't have it in my gut, and therefore my kiddos don't either?
#192 of 510 Old 10-15-2006, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry-no it's not safe for breastfeeding.
#193 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 01:41 AM

I am getting some major die off now that I am using the enzymes in a better way. I have a rash on my face so now I can share in DS's discomfort. Never thought i'd be happy about a rash, esp a yeast rash! I hope that we can beat it this go around. I am taking Candex in between meals with a clove of garlic and before bed and when I wake. I am breaking open all my capsules, I think my bloat a few weeks back was do to the veggie capsules not disintegrating and therfore the enzymes were really not helping me digest food at all. Wish I would have known this months ago...

mama-a-lama-If you are having a yeast problem SCD will help heal, plus enzymes and garlic. I am not doing eggs, dairy and very few nuts (for now). You need to make sure you eat tons of fats: CO, olive oil, walnut oil. It is well worth it to nip the problem in the bud and do everything that you can all at once. It is really not that bad, a little boring, but do-able. I look foreward to a future when DS has fewer food sensitivities because of my sacrifices now.

Thanks FF, I hope the garlic + Candex does the trick for us:

#194 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
Awesome! I wanna learn how to do that! Please post your progress - I'm very interested. Good luck!
:

are you making thrm from the allergens themselves? like wheat and dairy?
i hope it works for you well!

there's a company that make homeopathic remedies for allergies and the remedies are made from the allergens themselves. http://bioallers.com/
I bought recently the wheat & grain allergy and it helped.
#195 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

No, not from the foods. I'll share more if I get close to healing! I have lots of links that I will post.

I have however, just made some from breastmilk. I figure that if I use my milk homeopathically it will create a shift for me and anyone in my house that's nursing. It contains all the antigens and antibodies, so in theory their (and my) body should recongnize them as they are introduced homeopathically. We'll see. Im more hopeful about other remedies I'm using, but I don't wnat to get hopes up until there's progress.
#196 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
What's the trick to getting free Houston's enzymes in the mail?
A mamma on another list said she got free enzymes by calling them up. I wrote an e-mail to Mr. Houston and told him that a mamma said that Houston does a free trial sample. I told him what our Doc was doing with my ds' diet and if he recommended any enzymes. Something to that effect. He sent them to us.

Another question......So, now that I upped the dose of enzymes, ds's excema popped up in a different area. Is this die-off because of the enzyme or should I stop the enzymes?
#197 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 12:41 PM

I wanted to ask you mamas about enzymes. I was gonna buy the Candex and then I found this product, which almost identical in the enzyme composition as the mentioned Candex but it's different brand. Can you tell me what you think about it? It's a great price! http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Candida-...nagement/cas-1

and this is Candex: http://www.vitacost.com/PureEssenceL...nagementSystem

there are really almost identical except the first one has 240 capsules.
#198 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
No, not from the foods. I'll share more if I get close to healing! I have lots of links that I will post.

I have however, just made some from breastmilk. I figure that if I use my milk homeopathically it will create a shift for me and anyone in my house that's nursing. It contains all the antigens and antibodies, so in theory their (and my) body should recongnize them as they are introduced homeopathically. We'll see. Im more hopeful about other remedies I'm using, but I don't wnat to get hopes up until there's progress.
That is an interesting idea!! Good luck! I was giving LAc Maternum (which is made from breast milk) to DS1 when I was trying to wean him, it really helped.
#199 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 04:11 PM

question about pH testing...I got some pH strips and tested both saliva and urine today. The strips say optimal range is 7.0-7.5 My salivia test was 7.25. The urine test, however, was 6.0. What does that mean, and why would they be so different?
#200 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

They will almost always be different. What you want to pay attention to (for internal body chemistry) is the number on the urine strip. You mouth's pH level will change constantly based on what you have *just* eaten, it will more reflect the acid/alkaline ash that a food produces. The urine will show how your body is reacting to the food.
#201 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
They will almost always be different. What you want to pay attention to (for internal body chemistry) is the number on the urine strip. You mouth's pH level will change constantly based on what you have *just* eaten, it will more reflect the acid/alkaline ash that a food produces. The urine will show how your body is reacting to the food.
Hmmm...the acid/alkaline food theory doesn't seem to hold very true for me, then, considering I eat mostly "acid-forming" foods (lots of meat!).
#202 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

This was my whole point. The way your body responds to the food is a product of your metabolic type. SO if I'm a carb type and you're a protein type and we both eat a bunch of meat it will acidify my system and neutralize or even alkalinize yours. It's very cool. Do you know what your metabolic type is? Once you do the testing becomes a very useful tool for figuring out macronutrient ratios. I am a protein type-when I eat a vegan diet that is completely plant based I actually get really acidic. In theory (superficially) that should alkalinize me, but it doesn't even come close. That's why I think the SCD worked so well for me. All the meat, eggs, and nuts actually alkalinized my system.
#203 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry-so my point is that it doesn't acutally matter what the ash residue is, what matters is how *you* metabolize the food. The urine will be a better indicator.
#204 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 05:31 PM

I'm ordering DeFelice's book, "Enzyme for Autism." Would it be worthwhile or redundant to buy her "Enzymes for Digestive Health and Nutritional Well-being?"

Also, I've been contemplating taking dd to an allergist to get a blood test (not RAST) to determine what things she's reacting to. I wonder though if I'm wasting my time and money since *knowing* what we're allergic to won't really change the work we have to do to heal our guts. Any thoughts from anyone who's been there? Part of me wants to be able to monitor the lessening of her allergy/food sensitivity. The other part of me just doesn't want to deal with a mainstream doctor's approach to allergies.

Also, can someone explain to me about how milk (or whatever allergen) proteins pass through breastmilk. I've read that a mother who is digesting properly won't pass these proteins to her infant. Is that right? If so, there are A LOT of mothers out there with unwell guts. . .

How are you all taking garlic? Do you just swallow a chopped clove? And what time of day is best?

And I know this is technically an allergy question, but from a "healing the gut" pov, at what point does anaphylaxis become a possibility? Is it when a person has not been tolerating/digesting a particular food (say, peanuts) and their gut is a mess, and they *continue* to consume them? I ask because I'm trying to get my dd (14 mths) to take her enzymes, and I'm worried about putting it in peanut butter.

Finally, I ordered some chewable enzymes. Has anyone heard of them? I hope they aren't a waste of money. http://www.buyenzymes.com/t-nedigestchewables.aspx
#205 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 05:33 PM

FF, do you have a book recommendation or link that explains the alkaline/acidity idea? Thx
#206 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Not really-this is just me taking snippets from various places, applying them and testing for results. It's not all that formal, but I am trying to figure it out. I think alot of what is out there doesn't account for different body chemistry.
#207 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post

havent scrolled to read the rest of the responses, but my dd(almost 9 months) would have mucous in her make EBF when i would eat certain things and then when i started feeding her ricealos would have it and now, she is eating egg yoke (soft boiled) and banana and has had no mucous in her make, and her excema is clearing up and her skin is not all dry but rather soooooooooo soft like a babys should be. I highly recoment egg yoke and maybe some cods liver oil or fish oil supplement for your dd. it will help build up tissues, cellwalls etc.. my dd also eats veggies cooked in chicken soup (potato and sweet potato) and soes well with them.
#208 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Sorry-so my point is that it doesn't acutally matter what the ash residue is, what matters is how *you* metabolize the food. The urine will be a better indicator.
I understood what you were saying...just to be a wise guy (not to you personally, just in general) I had to point out that if the saliva pH supposedly reflects the acid/alkaline ash, it doesn't seem very accurate to me since I had eggs & meat for breakfast and tested in the alkaline range for saliva anyway. Does that make sense? Sorry, I just needed to get some sarcasm out there!
#209 of 510 Old 10-16-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
How are you all taking garlic? Do you just swallow a chopped clove? And what time of day is best?

And I know this is technically an allergy question, but from a "healing the gut" pov, at what point does anaphylaxis become a possibility? Is it when a person has not been tolerating/digesting a particular food (say, peanuts) and their gut is a mess, and they *continue* to consume them? I ask because I'm trying to get my dd (14 mths) to take her enzymes, and I'm worried about putting it in peanut butter.
I crush garlic because the chopped garlic showed up in my stool...so I figured I wasn't getting the full benefit of it I take it with breakfast and lunch to try to give it a little bit of a chance to wear off before bedtime (poor DH!). Take it with meals, though (in the middle of a meal works best for me)--otherwise it will give you an upset stomach. I take a sip of warm tea and then pop some crushed garlic in and swallow it all.

I'm not sure anybody knows the answer to your anaphlaxis question...although I wish I knew, too. Have you tried giving your DD enzymes mixed with applesauce? I used to take them that way before I eliminated fruit from my diet.
#210 of 510 Old 10-17-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I'm ordering DeFelice's book, "Enzyme for Autism." Would it be worthwhile or redundant to buy her "Enzymes for Digestive Health and Nutritional Well-being?"

Also, I've been contemplating taking dd to an allergist to get a blood test (not RAST) to determine what things she's reacting to. I wonder though if I'm wasting my time and money since *knowing* what we're allergic to won't really change the work we have to do to heal our guts. Any thoughts from anyone who's been there? Part of me wants to be able to monitor the lessening of her allergy/food sensitivity. The other part of me just doesn't want to deal with a mainstream doctor's approach to allergies.

Also, can someone explain to me about how milk (or whatever allergen) proteins pass through breastmilk. I've read that a mother who is digesting properly won't pass these proteins to her infant. Is that right? If so, there are A LOT of mothers out there with unwell guts. . .

Finally, I ordered some chewable enzymes. Has anyone heard of them? I hope they aren't a waste of money. http://www.buyenzymes.com/t-nedigestchewables.aspx

It seems like we are at similar stages in our healing process. I *think* both of Defelices books have similar info. About the peanuts, I personally would not not give them a lot if your DD is allergic to other foods or is sensitive in general. DeFelice has a whole chapter on how to mix enzymes with food to get kids to take them easily. I have swallowed garlic whole but I find it is more effective crushed. Sometimes I add it to my food (soup is not so bad with tons of garlic.) I am experimenting with taking it between meals, it got us some wicked die off-I now have a yeast rash on my face.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page