Headaches in 3 yr. old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-06-2006, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD has been complaining of headaches the past few days. She says her "brain hurts" and it seems to be the entire top area of her head. She says it's worse when she yawns. We do have some food allergies (wheat, dairy, eggs) and I think she ate some egg the other day. I've been having some headaches as well but they seem stress related in my case - stemming from some neck mis-alignment.

I've never really heard of little kids having headaches so, of course, I wonder if it could be something awful. However, most of the time she does seem to be fairly energetic and active. Yesterday she was pretty low-key and kind of grouchy though, but she said she was sad. The headaches have only been for about 2-3 days.

I have a chiropractic appt for myself in about an hour and DD has been adjusted in the past. I think I'll take her for an adjustment as well and see if that may help. Also going to have to get stricter about the food allergy stuff. I think I've been a little lax about my foods lately (she still nurses a lot).

What do you mamas think? Should I take her to the ped just to get checked out? We also have a naturopath we use but I don't think she has very much experience with young children. Or should I just wait it out for a few days and see if it goes away?

Thanks for your input.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#2 of 5 Old 10-07-2006, 12:26 AM

I know that with me personally, if I don't get enough fluids I get bad headaches. That is apparently one of the leading causes of headaches. (Trust me, next time you get a heachache try a big dose of water instead of Tylenol, it often works!). So maybe encourage her to drink more and ensure she's getting enough fluids. My dehydrated headaches are usually the top of my head.

Another reason she could have headaches may be if her eyes are strained, ie. too much tv, too much sun, if she's tired...

Is there any chance she bonked it on something (table underneath) and you didn't see? Could just be from that.

I guess if she complains consistently, I would get it checked out.

HTH.

Kathy.
#3 of 5 Old 10-07-2006, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, monkeybum.

I doubt it's dehydration (I get those headaches too sometimes if I don't have enough water). DD drinks a ton of water and also nurses frequently. She doesn't do other fluids really.

I took her to the chiro this morning and he said her neck was really out of whack which could also contribute to headaches. She hasn't complained since then, but I'm just trying to make sure she doesn't get ahold of any wheat or dairy. Or eggs. That could be a culprit as well. Also, I will make sure she's drinking her normal amount of H2O.

If things aren't better by early next week, I'll take her to the doc.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#4 of 5 Old 10-07-2006, 11:36 AM

My mother, younger sister, and one of my nieces all started having migraines around that age. They didn't even have words to describe the pain or the auras-- I remember my sister telling the doctor that before the headache it looked like someone had sprinkled glitter in front of her eyes, but she couldn't touch it. I didn't have my first migraine until I was seven; that's "late" for the women in my family. Are her headaches unilateral? Is the pain sharp, hot, or stabbing? Do you get migraines? If so, I'd encourage you to look into pediatric migraine to help your daughter.

The greatest piece of advice I have for you is not to discount the pain out of hand. I've heard so many horror stories about children telling their parents they were in pain and the parents blowing them off... Just by paying attention, you're helping a great deal. I'd definately take her to the doctor to make sure that there's nothing more serious going on. If she's having migraines she might benefit from alternative therapies (i.e. feverfew tea, homeopathic medicine) which are inexpensive and can vastly improve quality of life. I know my life changed dramatically when I started drinking feverfew tea for migraines. Different kinds of headaches require different kinds of attention, though; I just wanted to illustrate that there are many options.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#5 of 5 Old 10-07-2006, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the migraine info.

I have had migraines in the past. Sometimes terrible headaches and other times just "ocular" migraines where I'd have visual disturbances similar to the glittery effect you described.

At this point, I don't think DD's headaches are migraine because they're on the entire crown area of her head, not just one side, and they are not throbbing, just kind of there. They seem relatively mild from what I can observe. However, I take things like this very seriously and am really watching her.

I hadn't heard about the feverfew before, but I haven't really had migraine trouble for a few years (thankfully!). I so hope she doesn't get those nasties.

Thanks for your reply. If it does end up looking like migraines later, I might PM you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page