Help with Molluscum contagiosum - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has had this for several months. He is nine years old and I think he probably got it at a pool. He is on a swim team. Last year it was planters warts on his toe! He has had two of the beetle juice treatments, and two freezings all three weeks apart. We are also using aldara. It seems this is taking forever to get rid of! He has it on one side of his chest, under his arm and inside his elbow. It seems that the freezing "finds" more. Has anyone tried ZymaDerm? I found it while googling and looked at a lot of reviews on Amazon, but it sounds too good to be true and why isn't the dermatalogist using it? I asked the dermatologist about swimming. She said he probably got it at the pool he swims at and he can't really give it to anyone else who is swimming in the same pool. In other words, they probably have already gotten it. Most kids just have an immunity to it. I found know this thread is old, but thought I would see if anything new has come up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 AM

I just wanted to share our experience now that I have had two kids go through this. My daughter had it for about a year, the last month or two the bumps looked irritated and red and then they just disappeared. We did everything, vinegar, popping, lemon oil.

My son got MC a few months after dd finally cleared up. It felt like a punch in the face. His bumps were primarily in his diaper area, but spread to his legs and behind his knees. I decided to not do anything to his bumps. I did pick a bump that was between his eyes. I could not handle the thought of him having bumps on his face and around his eyes. I think it was the right thing to do. His bumps got irritated looking and then started disappearing 1-2 months later. He had MC bumps for just under a year.

I think there's a balance to be had. I think MC needs to run its course in its own time. I do think you can sometimes control spreading of bumps to new areas by popping the bump and cleaning the area. You will know you've popped one when it bleeds, a lot! Those suckers are deep. Both of my kids have scars from bumps that were never popped, but were allowed to do their own thing.

Anyway, in a nutshell....one kid I did everything, one kid I did nothing, they both had MC the same length of time. They both got bumps shortly after swimming in a public pool.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:03 PM

I guess I'm out of the woods enough that I can give the final story for my two guys here. They definitely did not get it swimming. It was the dead of winter and hadn't been swimming in at least four months, nor had they shared a bathtub with anyone, or even each other. Their cousin did have it at that time, though, although they had not played "contact" play with him.

Anyway, the older of the two got it first, and his never left his legs and lasted about six months. The younger one got it a few months later and it lasted at least a year. I used lemon myrtle oil on them (but not consistently - I'd get fed up with the bumps and use LMO daily for two weeks and then forget about it again), and I do think that helped, but can't be totally sure since I wasn't meticulous or scientific about it, lol.

I never could figure out how to pop them - I only once or twice saw any at the "angry red" stage (but I wasn't checking regularly) and when I did, it wasn't at a time I could do anything about it (containing the goo, etc.), and I'd forget about it by the time I could. So no popping, no scarring, now they're gone. The one who had them longer is definitely one who has a weaker immune system.

Neither has ever had measles or the MMR or chicken pox vaccine. I think the older had a few vaxes before I stopped by his first birthday. He was 5 or 6 when he got the molloscum. The younger had no vaxes at all.

My other children (one older than these two, one younger) did not ever get MC.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 PM

I am amazed at how common this seems to be. I have never heard of it and I have taught for 21 years. The pediatrician and dermatologist both said it is very common. They make it sound like kids either have an immunity to it and never get it, or they don't have an immunity and will get it because it is so contagious. When I asked the dermatologist if I shoud keep my son off the swim team she said no because kids are going to get it if they don't have an immunity to it no matter what they do.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 AM

We started trying to get rid of this in Feb. My 10 yr. old had the blistering agent twice, then freezing twice 2-3 weeks apart. The blistering agent made huge blisters that were painful afterwards. We also used Aldera at night. It caused huge sores, probably because he wasn't washing it off like he should have. Then I only put Aldera on the ones that weren't red. I ordered Zymaderm and started it 3 days ago. I'm not currently using Aldera. They seem to be drying up. There is some discoloration in the skin where the bumps were, hopefully that will go away in time.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My youngest dd has had these since May 09. Hers showed up on two spots that were tick bites. She had 4 largish ones on her side, and two have healed. But, now she has two on her thigh near her groin, and a cluster of teeny, tiny ones lower on her thigh and on her panty line. Our doctor just told me that there was nothing to do about them expect freeze them off, and she didn't recommend that. I had no idea it was so contagious until researching it today. I only researched because i noticed it had recently spread. She also has excema and gets a secondary excema rash around each mc bump. So, I popped one this evening and covered it with a bandaid. We shall see....

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:06 PM

We have used Zymaderm for almost 2 weeks and the mc looks so much better! I noticed that some were popping in the night and then they would spread, so I started putting bandaids on the ones that look like they were ready to pop. He wouldn't let me pop them. I don't know if this is working or if it would have gotten better, but I'm definitely going to keep doing what I have been doing the last couple of weeks.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
I am just asking a question so please don't flame me:

Could the varicella vaccine be the culprit for Molluscum contagiosum?

If your child did NOT have the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine and also was NOT in contact with anyone who's had it or who had shingles, but does have the Molluscum virus, then ok, I am wrong.

I am just curious. I've read that there might be a connection. ?
I know this is an old thread but just saying the answer could be yes and no - my bub has not been vaccinated for anything. He is 1 yr and has had molloscum for a few months quite mildly on his back, however the vax could have weakened immune system responses for some others to let the virus in. but not in our case.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:22 AM

My daughter hasn't had the cp vax, but caught cp from a child who came to daycare freshly vaccinated. But, her mc didn't show up for 3 more years.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:52 PM

Well, I can't say that I have advice about what works, but I can tell you what doesn't. My 3-year-old has had MC for almost a year and we have tried everything the dermatologist has told us, but nothing has worked. We have tried two different prescriptions — Aldara and Retin-A. We also have had them chemically removed in the doctor's office, but they continue to spread. She now has them on her chest, belly, arms and legs. It is the most heartbreaking thing to see on such a little body. After our last treatment, which creates painful sores, I decided to stop all treatment, so I'm just waiting to see what will happen next. All of the powerful prescriptions, toxic chemical treatments and pain has done nothing to stop the progression and now I'm afraid she's going to have scars from the treatments. I keep hearing they will go away on their own, so I think that's the route we're going to take now. My gut instinct tells me the side effects from the treatment are much worse than the actual bumps. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 PM

My 7 year old (almost 8 now) outgrew this about a year ago after having it since he was about 4 years old.  Someone posted on here that swimming in the ocean (salt water) would help, and we did that when on vacation and it did help a lot.  He still has a single spot or two every now and then in the spring, the spring time is when it seems to crop up.  We never did any medications for it.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:36 PM

our dermatologist suggested 1/3 cup of bleach in a full bath, for 10 min, every other day. seems to be working, but too early to say.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Wow, this is an old thread!  I think I posted on here several years ago when dd had it.  She had it for almost a year and it kept getting worse.  Everything I read said not to mess with them but I eventually ended up lancing them all, removing the cores, disinfecting the area and it went away.  I did this while she was sleeping.  It seemed very self-perpetuating so after that if I saw a new one come up, I would remove it.  I did this for a few weeks and it never came back.  

Old 05-16-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

So agree with you joybird!  That's what we did and it does work.  Just be sure to sterilize needle and gentle lift the core and throw away immediately.  Meical books say don't pop but with a little common sense with sterilizing need and lifting core, disgarding nasty's you will be on the RIGHT road.  Stop battling it this worked for 3 of my kid's!! Good luck to all who are brave and just do this simple procedure at the comfort of your own home with virtually no pain to your child. (:  

Old 05-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Hmmmmm ...  how do you pop it without it causing pain to your child?  Did you spray an OTC "pain relieving" spray?  Or ask for some kind of skin numbing thing from the dr??

I can't imagine my four year old sitting still for me and a pin!!

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 AM

Quick update.  

I ordered Zymaderm which is a topical homeopathic.  It's not the reduced strength homeo remedy, it's full strength of tea tree oil, echinecea and some other items.  It does kill viruses, which I don't think the apple cider vinegar does.  We had been using ACV for about a month.  It seemed to help some spots but new ones came up.  Plus, you have to mess w/bandages and cotton balls.  Finally, I had to stop because the ACV burned my daughter's skin.  I think the ACV works by breaking down the skin on the bumps so that they go away ... but it hurts the skin around it too.  Plus, ACV does not kill 100% of the virus -- I checked on this.  Vinegar is a good cleaning agent but not something you use when you need to clean up a virus or bacteria.

So, I am glad I switched away from ACV.    I would NOT recommend ACV to anyone.  

We've tried the Zymaderm for two weeks now.  It doesn't irritate the skin, is painless and easy to apply.  You don't need to cover the area with bandaids and whatnot.  It does seem to reduce the spread and lessened some ones that were on their way out because they had already "popped."

However, I realized that I have to remove the core on the bumps otherwise they just hang on, even with the Zymaderm = which can take weeks to work on its own -- and meanwhile new bumps can form.

We tried a fine needle ... I pierced the bump and then doused it with the zymaderm hoping it would enter the new hole and kill the core. However, that had no effect.  You have to physically remove the white core otherwise it just keeps on ticking.  So right now, I remove, with flat tweezers, the core.  I just pluck the bump up from above and you don't harm the surrounding skin AT ALL.  It pinches for your l.o. and bleeds heavily, but the next day ... it's healing and the bump is gone.  It's very quick -- my four year old had no problem with it.  

I feel that the Zymaderm is a great adjunct to this mechanical removal -- because it is a gentle virucidal agent.  

So, at this point, the rashy area in my daughter's groin is calming down, and we've got several spots that have disappeared.  I finally feel like we have a handle on this.  

I only remove one or two spots a day because my daughter requested we take it slow.  However, I think it is best to remove them all at once, because then there is no more virus to create new spots.  However, my daughter won't tolerate this.  I may try a topical anesthetic and try to do more (daub some on in advance -- like lidocaine) but I am wary that adding another agent will irritate her skin so I may try a small patch first.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:29 PM

We are dealing with such a case of this with DD1 & now DD2 has it too...with DD1, it started as the white pimply like bumps but with DD2, I don't see those.  She just feels bumpy all over right now.  I am so sick of it...it's been a couple months.

DD won't let me get anywhere near her with a pin or tweezers.  It is driving me crazy & I want to pop the ones on her thighs-which is the site where they started.  They show no signs of going away.  We are currently just using calamine to treat the itch so she doesn't scratch & spread. 

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:11 PM

Hi There-

It is hard to get them to agree to it.  I finally tried a pain relieving spray before I began to use the tweezers. I daub a tiny amount on the spot I am removing and it helps enormously.  Also, your DD could hold ice on the spot before hand, perhaps rapped in a paper towel.  That would numb the area.

I just told my daughter that if I didn't do it, this would last a long time, perhaps spread, and then we'd end up going to the doctor to have it removed and that would be much more uncomfortable.  Unfortunately, from this thread, that seems to be the truth.

It really doesn't hurt much if you are doing it right -- you are only gripping the pox part, not the skin around it.  

HTH

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:45 AM

deleted because it was in response to a spam post the mods kindly removed

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't use anything to numb the area really doesn't need it I just talked to my kiddo's and you don't have to like jab it just like popping an ant bite so to speak just piercing the skin lightly.  My kiddo's never shed a tear and then just a gentle squeeze and then with a facial tissue lift upward wipe etc. Don't  smear lift up and  disgard! Good luck!

Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Subhuti I hope your daughter is doing better.  I don't blame her for wanting to take it slowly especially if there is a bunch!!! Really just keep an eye for the red inflamed looking one's that's when they spread because they will pop and spread the virus. Good luck to you and I hope you the best!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 PM

My DS is 2 and has had MC for awhile now; he is not vaxed either. I think he caught this from a public pool last year. has tons of them on his torso and his rt arm. I have taken him to have two treatments so far with beetlejuice and they are still spreading. his blisters started bleeding in the bath this evening.  I do not wish this on anyone! Has anyone else had any luck with beetlejuice?? If so, how many treatments did it take and did they come back?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:31 PM

My daughter now just has one or two spots .... Pretty much done with it here!

I vote for zymaderm. .... And some pulling. I am sorry what your dr is doing is not working ... greensad.gif

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:34 AM

I wanted to post back as well...we are having the worst time with DD1s...the spot where it all started is above her knees but more between her legs so in the summer, her legs are rubbing together, sweating & just constantly irritating it & spreading it.  It is so frustrating.  

I am going to look but does anyone know of any you tube videos of a proper "core removal" technique?  Her's are just not lending themselves to it easily.  I did get one the other day.  

I am trying to make her wear long shorts, but it's a battle.  And I believe she got one on the side of her neck/face.  I will lose it if this ends up on her face...seriously...I might lose it!!!  

Also-we haven't vax'd for Chicken Pox in our house...as an FYI.

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:08 PM

No, I don't know a video, but honestly, flat-ended tweezers where the end is kind of sharp/fine ... not blunt ... these really work to grip the entire core no matter how small.  

You grip it hard, then pull up.  It happens very easily.  Then check between the tweezer blades to see if there is a white core.  If not, you have to do it again.  The spots will bleed heavily if you got it.  It will not pull out any adjacent skin, that is the benefit of a flat-ended tweezer -- you only touch/pull the core.

Really, it seems hard, but it is not.  You have to do it a few days to feel comfortable, then it will be as routine as pulling out an eyebrow hair. 

Edited to add:   In between core removals, dunk the tweezers in a cup of hydrogen peroxide.  It will remove the core you just pulled out and sterizilize the tweezers for the next core you are pulling out.   Make sure you tap off all the peroxide when you begin the next core because peroxide stings little ones a bit.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellairiesmom View Post

I wanted to post back as well...we are having the worst time with DD1s...the spot where it all started is above her knees but more between her legs so in the summer, her legs are rubbing together, sweating & just constantly irritating it & spreading it.  It is so frustrating.  

I am going to look but does anyone know of any you tube videos of a proper "core removal" technique?  Her's are just not lending themselves to it easily.  I did get one the other day.  

I am trying to make her wear long shorts, but it's a battle.  And I believe she got one on the side of her neck/face.  I will lose it if this ends up on her face...seriously...I might lose it!!!  

Also-we haven't vax'd for Chicken Pox in our house...as an FYI.

My dd is 9.  I posted to this thread several years back.  She *did* have it on her face.  Do whatever it takes to keep it from spreading to the face.  Seriously.  We ended up seeing a dermatologist in Istanbul, Turkey, who eventually put us on the road to getting her past this (removal and tea tree oil).  It's important to know that the virus still lives in their bodies and can return at any time.  It can flare up.  There is no cure.  (I hate that part!)  Never let down your guard.

For someone else who asked... Beetle juice did not work for us... it actually made it spread (and dd had it on her face).  The only thing that worked was physical removal.  Dd has three small, deep scars on top of her lip that were particularly painfully removed with beetle juice and then it spread from there RAPIDLY onto her cheek and neck.  I have RUED the decision to ever use beetle juice on her.  Worst mistake we ever made.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Gosh can't believe this thread still exsists I started it on 10-16-06! Unfortunately for all these families it is sticking around cause it is much needed when you have this in your household you just want it Gone Forever!!  I guess from reading all this maybe it wasn't clear but I would wait for the pox to be ready like it would be screaming at you like an acne pimple on your forehead and when it is ready and in that stage there is no pain involved the pox is ready to be released to spread more so there is your opportunity and believe me don't miss it because it does or will spread. You could also give a bath beforehand so that would soften the skin so only a tiny pric is needed.  Someone posted this lives in the body forever gosh I didn't know that.  He is 8 now and was 3 at the time so we have not had to deal with it until my twins got it. Well hope everyone is able to rid of it soon. Keep us all posted on your outcomes.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Here is a video  I found but warning it shows graphics and blood. I didn't wait til my kid's looked like these so I guess just looking at these they have been on him for awhile or maybe everyone's is different that might be why some are having problems popping I don't know???  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw-zQa9Lyto&NR=1

Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Here's another video that may be helpful but he is just saying squeezing getting the white stuff out and taking a shower is a good way to get rid of them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw-zQa9Lyto&NR=1

Old 01-19-2012, 02:08 PM

We have been using Zymaderm for 3 weeks now, some MC bumps have gone away very quickly, some are still the same size.  Overall the infected areas (legs, knees, stomach, arm pits) seem better.  How long until all of yours went away?  We just ordered our 2nd bottle and I'm wondering how long our path using this might be.

Tags
Healthy People The Surgeon Generals Report On Health Promotion Disease Prevention , Healthy Longevity In China Demographic Socioeconomic And Psychological Dimensions The Springer Serie , The Good Housekeeping Book Of Child Care Including Parenting Advice Health Care And Child Developmen
User Tag List