Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Women's Health (http://www.mothering.com/forum/45-women-s-health/)
-   -   Help with Molluscum contagiosum (http://www.mothering.com/forum/45-women-s-health/540244-help-molluscum-contagiosum.html)

wantingagirl2b#4 10-16-2006 04:15 PM

My 3 yr. old has Molluscum contagiosum and we have been unsuccessful at getting rid of this. Does anyone out there have any experience with this. All info on web says highly contagious but yet no one in family of five doesn't have it except our 3 yr. old. However two different dr.'s said it is Molluscum Contagiosum. We have tried the silver sure from the molluscum.com site but nothing has worked. He has had this for about 6 good months and I am preg. with twins and I am trying to get rid of it as quick as possible because now we were advised that my eight yr. old that did take baths with him is to not do that anymore. And absolutely not to share towels, washcloths etc. Any one out there with a cure that worked for them?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Kelly

~member~ 10-16-2006 05:03 PM

Health and healing has information....they say put vinegar in the bathwater.

Gitti 10-16-2006 05:19 PM

Since it is a virus, I would give Cod liver oil (mercury free).

I bet your other child is already immune to it.

Is this child vaccinated? Did he have the chicken pox vaccine? If so when?

When was his last vaccine? And what was it?

I'm glad you found us.

mdkarchner 10-16-2006 11:26 PM

All four of my children currently have this. The older two seem to have it the worst, and it's been going on for about 5 months. The younger two have it the mildest. I have NO idea what to tell you, because I've just resigned myself to it just having to run it's course. I understand it can take upto 3 years though!!!

It really hasn't bothered my kids too much, so I haven't tried anything to heal it. Only occasionally have they complained.

Is there a vaccination correlation? My children are vaccinated. None of them have ever had a flu shot though.

desertpenguin 10-17-2006 12:05 AM

my son has this around his bumhole. : when i'm good about using it, diluted tea tree oil and lavender oil have helped a lot. but most of the time i forget, espescially since we're potty learning.

wantingagirl2b#4 10-17-2006 04:21 PM

Yes all of my sons are vax. except the oldest only got one shot of the DPT and all others he was given the DT shot.He is 14 now. And the 8 yr. has all his vax. but will not get anymore. He has allergies really bad. Nose bleds all the time and is a heart baby with WPW and SVT (rapid heart rate). My 3 yr. old who has the molluscum has most of his shots but on 2/4/04 was the last shot given -Pneu 7 valent , Varicella was given what ever those are??? He was given 2 of the oral Polio one at 2 months and another at 4 months. He was given 3 of the DTaP and Hib shots one at 2month, 4 months and 6 months of age. Hepatitis B given at birth , 6 months and 9 months. Pneu 7 valent at 3, 6,9 months and nearly 13 months of age.
So long story short the last shots given where the varicella and Pneu 7 valent on 2/4/04 he was nearly 13 months . He has had this virus for about 7 or 8 months. I wish we could get rid of it. I paise you for reading this lenghty posts. Thanks so much for your time :-)

Blessings,
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
Since it is a virus, I would give Cod liver oil (mercury free).

I bet your other child is already immune to it.

Is this child vaccinated? Did he have the chicken pox vaccine? If so when?

When was his last vaccine? And what was it?

I'm glad you found us.

wantingagirl2b#4 11-01-2006 01:19 PM

We are doing the vinegar baths as one poster suggested but with no luck of it going away, but it doesn't appear to be spreading as we have resorted to finding the one's with the white heads and just toching them with a needle and popping the stuff out of them and disposing of it. I am careful to not get any of that on his skin so it doesn't get spread to other parts of his body. They say don't pop every where I read but I decided to give it a try and at least they are no longer spreading as long as it doesn't get on his skin they won't spread so I figure pop them and get rid of the waxy core that is contagious! Any more insight from others?

Thanks,
Kelly

InstinctiveMama 11-01-2006 07:30 PM

My son had M.C. and it took a little over a year to go away. I tried a few things but in the end I could not say for sure what cured it. Maybe his body finally found the right enzyme or something.

I did sea salt baths (specifically sea salt). I also tried thuja, a homeopathic ointment for warts, which is what the little bumps are. My little guy does not like to keep band-aids on so we only did the thuja once or twice. Urine is great for many skin conditions. When my son wet his diaper overnight, I applied the wetness to his bumps. I also started giving my son a zinc tablet every day. Our chiropractor had read recently that dryness behind the ears can be a sign of zinc deficiency. My son has had this little problem since infancy. I started giving him a kid's zinc tablet every day and the dryness went away.

The zinc may be the thing that finally cured my son. I don't know a lot about zinc but I know it's important for a well-functioning immune system. I am pretty confident the topical stuff I did not do as much as my son's immune system finally fighting off the virus.

My opinion is MC is one of those slow diseases. You may not see improvement for several more months but then one day it will be gone. As for contagiousness, it is mostly spread amongst children. I never caught it from my son and none of his friends caught it. If you can resist the urge to pop the bumps, I would try. It seems like that will aggravate the problem and cause more scarring.

Good luck mama!

Laggie 11-01-2006 10:16 PM

Pop them with a sterilized needle, squeeze out any pus, then put tea tree oil on them. Put tea tree oil on any that aren't ready to pop or are healing. I did this when I had it and they were all gone within a month.

Good Luck! At least it's not lice!

wantingagirl2b#4 11-02-2006 01:20 PM

Thanks instintive mama and Laggie for the responses! I forgot to add that I always sterilize the needle. It's not that I can't resist the urge to pop it is just the only idea that I and my chiropractor came up with is if I can get that contagious stuff out so it doesn't pop on him and go to other parts of his body then maybe shorty it will all disappear :-) We are still doing the vinegar baths and popping anytime I see one that looks like it has a white raised head and I will difeneitely try the tea tree oil Laggie and thanks for all the ideas. I also have him taking Insure herbal formula with golenseal & Echinacea to help boost his immune system like instinctive mama suggests it is a immune problem. I haven't noticed any dryness behind his ears though, but will look now that I know that.

Thanks everyone sooo much and I hope others will post there experiences too so maybe something will finally work for us and others.

Thanks,
KElly

supermuma 01-15-2007 10:28 PM

I realize this thread is a bit old..but I just found it and I am so happy that I did.

My dd has had this since September '06, with no signs of it letting up. It started out on her face and is now on her neck as well. I was just starting to get REALLY frustrated since there is apparently NOTHING I can do : . It is driving me nuts.

I am going to try the zinc and just boosting her immune system in general..taking out the sugar in her diet etc. I am pregnant and I would really like it to go away before this baby is born. I also feel badly for her because I am constantly telling her to wash her hands and making her use her own blanket and pillow on the couch (dr. recs due to contagiousness). I feel so badly for her and the thought of this going on for years really irks me.

Yes, headlice would be bad, but at least I could get rid of it!

Anyway, I am so glad that I am not alone. I was really feeling isolated and lonely with this problem Thanks for this thread and I hope all of your kids get through this fast!

Gitti 01-15-2007 10:51 PM

I am just asking a question so please don't flame me:

Could the varicella vaccine be the culprit for Molluscum contagiosum?

If your child did NOT have the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine and also was NOT in contact with anyone who's had it or who had shingles, but does have the Molluscum virus, then ok, I am wrong.

I am just curious. I've read that there might be a connection. ?

supermuma 01-16-2007 12:05 PM

deleted

solstar 01-16-2007 12:25 PM

My dd had this for a couple years and we ended up using Retin-A.
I wish I had used it sooner because she had several pox type holes.

She had it everywhere even her eyelids!

canadianchick 01-16-2007 01:01 PM

DD had this several years ago & we saw a dermatologist. He said it would go away on it's own and it did. But it took a long time. Now she has these tiny little pits in her skin where it was.

supermuma 01-16-2007 01:02 PM

My dd also has then on her eyelids. I think there are two there. I actually looked at her this morning and they all appeared to be smaller than they have ever been...with the exception of a rather large one on her eye.

I am hoping that I was not imagining them shrinking. If there was only one left on her eye, I think it would be fairly easy not to spread it around anymore. Hoping and praying that this is a good sign : .

wantingagirl2b#4 01-16-2007 03:40 PM

Where to get Retin-A and what is it? I would love to try this. I have bought this stuff through Rebuilder Mecical that was electronically charged ionic nano silver, but it didn't seem to work for us.: We also tried the vinegar baths with no luck either.: Anymore ideas...??? Help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstar View Post
My dd had this for a couple years and we ended up using Retin-A.
I wish I had used it sooner because she had several pox type holes.

She had it everywhere even her eyelids!

supermuma 01-16-2007 04:00 PM

My doctor prescribed Retin-A, but told us not to use it unless they got really bad. She said that the risks of the medication outweighed the condition itself since it is a self limiting condition. She also said that she could not say for sure that the Retin-A would help.

We have avoided it so far just because I am not comfortable with the possible side effects. We may try it if this goes on for much longer though. We are almost ready to try ANYTHING.

That being said, I am not by any means a Retin-A expert and may be completely off base. However, to answer your question your doctor would have to prescribe it for you!

newcastlemama 01-16-2007 04:17 PM

DS (2.5 yo) has this on his belly and his dr said that it will go away in 1-2 years and not to worry about it. I have had some success with taking white vinegar on a cotton ball and rubbing it over his belly. It would probably go away if I was more consistent with that but ds hates having it done.

Jen

3boysmom 02-28-2007 12:27 AM

My 9 year old ds has just come down with this. He has quite a large patch of them under one arm. FYI - he has not been vaccinated against varicella, he caught chicken pox naturally many years ago. We are seeing a dermatologist on Friday, but did just try swabbing it with apple cider vinegar as suggested by others. He screamed in pain...wont' be doing that again!

Crisstiana 02-28-2007 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitti View Post
I am just asking a question so please don't flame me:

Could the varicella vaccine be the culprit for Molluscum contagiosum?

If your child did NOT have the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine and also was NOT in contact with anyone who's had it or who had shingles, but does have the Molluscum virus, then ok, I am wrong.

I am just curious. I've read that there might be a connection. ?
I don't see how molluscum and the varicella vaccine could be connected. They are in two separate families of viruses. Molluscum is a type of poxvirus, a family of viruses that also includes the agents that cause smallpox and cowpox. Varicella zostester is a member of the herpes virus family, which also includes herpes simplex-1 and -2, EBV, and CMV.

supermuma 02-28-2007 11:26 AM

I was in fact imagining my dd's bumps getting smaller...

There are a few more actually...and I feel so badly for her...keeping my fingers crossed that they start to go away soon......

wantingagirl2b#4 03-02-2007 01:01 AM

It does in fact go away with apparently doing nothing because we have tried everything and nothing worked except I think the change in diet and boosting the immune system. We pushed raw fruits and vegtables. I think that was the answer for us or it appears it was anyway. All of them are finally gone after nearly a year. Good luck to all of you and I hope everyone get's better real soon.

supermuma 03-02-2007 12:55 PM

Thanks! We are getting a bit close to a year..well it will be around a year in July. I am hoping that it wont last much longer than that.

Stefnmike 03-24-2007 04:41 PM

Hello everyone....I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I ask something that has already been answered somewhere that I have not yet read.

My 3 year old daughter has Mollusucm and has had it for a several months. I know that everyone has tried several differnt things to try and get rid of it. We are in the process of testing out pure tea tree oil. I have applied it for about 4 days now. Can anyone tell me what they look like when they are starting to heal and go away? Also, she has a very large one right on her eye lid. It looks like its in her vision. How do you try the "remedies" that everyone has tried if it is on her eye? Just let that one be? She actually has a couple of her eye and is starting to get one on her other eye. I am afraid they are going to take over her eyes like they have under her neck and stuff if I can't somehow get it under control.

Any suggestions? Any one found anything that has worked yet?

thank you
Stephanie

supermuma 03-25-2007 08:43 PM

We have not found anything yet. We are mostly doing nothing though...and dd has a fairly large one on her eye as well. They appear to have stopped spreading...but we are really on her about washing her hands constantly and not touching her face and then other parts of her body....not an easy task.. poor kid....and I am sure even harder with a 3 year old.

Maybe make sure that you wash her hands quite often, and areas she touches a lot to try and prevent the spreading.

We were using alcohol on them for a bit, the doctor said that it might help, and I could never figure out how to get to the ones on her eyes. We just left them alone.

At this point, we are just trying to curb the spreading....

I think that dd has had one heal up...but I am not really sure if it went away..since there are so many ...I can not keep track of them all. One seemed to get really dry and then (kind of like a pimple!) she picked it off. The doc said that is helpful..just make sure to wash hands EXTRA carefully after that..since it will spread the virus around easily after it has "popped"..

I hope some of this helps and that they go away REALLY fast!!

wantingagirl2b#4 03-26-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingagirl2b#4 View Post
It does in fact go away with apparently doing nothing because we have tried everything and nothing worked except I think the change in diet and boosting the immune system. We pushed raw fruits and vegtables. I think that was the answer for us or it appears it was anyway. All of them are finally gone after nearly a year. Good luck to all of you and I hope everyone get's better real soon.
This is a repost above and I forgot to add that we did do the popping also! I think personally if that is the contagious part and you are careful to not let it touch other parts of the body (then your baby will get rid of it faster)! That's my Honest opinion and if he was to get it again I would not hesitate to sterilize another needle and carefully remove the waxy core and rid of it immediately! We did not do the popping because of all the reading of NOT to pop and then I just had enough and did it! So glad we did!!! All is gone now. Good luck :-)

3boysmom 03-26-2007 12:42 PM

We ended up having the dermatologist freeze them. My ds had 30-40 of them under his arm and down his side where they were constantly irritated and really starting to bother him. We have several friends who'd had them last 1.5 - 3 years and we were just not up for that. The freezing was painless (numbing cream ahead of time) and only took about 30 seconds total. We expected some discomfort when the numbing agent wore off afterward, but there was none. A few days later they started to just fade away and now (2 weeks later) they are completely gone, just a few light splotches, but those are fading quickly also.

mdkarchner 03-31-2007 12:02 AM

My oldest child, who had it the worst, is almost lesion free. I ended up using zymaderm. I do feel that it helped. I was not good at doing it twice a day as recommended. It just was time consuming to do this to all 4 of my children. However, when the oldest child was at her worst (at least 40 lesions), I became vigilant about it. I definitely feel that it helped.

My youngest child who is 2 and still breastfeeding, had the mildest version. He had 2 on his upper buttocks and didn't get anymore. I'm attributing his mild case to the breastfeeding.

My middle 2 children seem to be flaring up a bit again. I've started using the zymaderm on them today. We are going on about 10 months now of this virus!

Gitti 03-31-2007 12:21 AM

In meantime I have learned that it may have something to do with being exposed to someone who's had the small pox vaccine. People who are in the army get it.

The "small pox" vaccine is a live vaccine.

I put it in parenthesis because it actually does not contain any "small pox". As far as is known it contains a cow-horse-barnyard pox.

IMO it seems plausible that it could be the cause of this condition.