Tell me about the ben. of cod liver oil - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-18-2006, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw someone mention in a thread for helping with a cough and I wonder if someone could give me a run-down of the benefits of taking cod liver oil? TIA!
#2 of 12 Old 10-18-2006, 07:32 PM

cod liver oil is a great natural source of vitamins A and D. both are needed for a healthy immune system. CLO is also great for the skin, the digestive system, the brain (think fish oil, omega-3,)...pretty much everything in my opinion. i think everyone should take it, because it has so many benefits. i use the dosing information from the Weston A Price Foundation (google Weston Price cod liver oil dosage, i think that will get you there.) The WAPF site also has a ton of great info on the benefits of CLO.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#3 of 12 Old 10-18-2006, 08:09 PM

Is there a brand you recommend?
#4 of 12 Old 10-18-2006, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Good question sarasprings, I would be interested to know too. i do have some nordic naturals(i think that's what it's called), how good is that stuff?
#5 of 12 Old 10-18-2006, 09:16 PM

My children & I take this every morning. I also take this.

It has helped with anxiety, joint pain, Dd2's eczema & we hardly ever get sick.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 12 Old 10-19-2006, 08:05 AM

Thank you so much! I'm off to check those products out.
#7 of 12 Old 10-19-2006, 01:08 PM

any concerns about taking cod liver oil while pg? besides the mercury issue? i did find that Spectrum Naturals makes it and processes it in a way that reduces/eliminates mercury...

Busy mama of
#8 of 12 Old 10-19-2006, 01:27 PM

nak or I'd write more, the traditional foods messagw board has lots of info , the best ways to take it and the best brands

good luck

ok I'm back babyless, I take Garden of Life (Blue Ice is good too), I mix it up in juice glass filled half way with water, stir it up, chug it down then follow with a big glass of raw milk. That works pretty good for me, the only problem I have is that I have fish burps the rest of the day so I try to take it later in the day. It's totally worth it. I just feel so healthy when I'm taking it like a good girl

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#9 of 12 Old 10-20-2006, 01:24 AM

from this article on WAPF about cod liver oil: http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...dliveroil.html

"One concern about taking cod liver oil is the presence of contaminants--heavy metals (such as mercury, cadmium and lead), PCBs and so forth. Fortunately, consumers need not worry when it comes to cod liver oil. All cod liver oils in the US must be tested according to protocols of the Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC) and approved free of detectable levels of 32 contaminants before they can be imported into this country. Furthermore, mercury is water soluble. It may be present in the flesh of fish, but it is not present in the oil."

i've read this in several different places, and for this reason, it is totally okay to NOT buy the most expensive brands of CLO. i buy the store brand. just make sure that whatever brand you buy uses the NATURAL SOURCE vitamins A and D. some brands remove them in the processing and add synthetic vitamins back in instead. sometimes it will tell you on the package, sometimes you actually need to call and ask specifically.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#10 of 12 Old 10-21-2006, 12:42 AM

We take it for eczema and the other health reasons already listed. I'm convinced it helps with behavior as well, . I think we've tried all the most recommended brands, Nordic Naturals, Blue Ice, Wilderness Family Naturals, Carlsons. I would go for the lemon or orange flavored as far as getting it in the kids. One flavor we tried was mint (Blue Ice maybe?) and it was horrible.

read.gif mama to 2 dust.gifhomeschool.giftreehugger.gifsaynovax.gifRainbow.gif
#11 of 12 Old 10-21-2006, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareimer View Post
from this article on WAPF about cod liver oil: http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...dliveroil.html

"One concern about taking cod liver oil is the presence of contaminants--heavy metals (such as mercury, cadmium and lead), PCBs and so forth. Fortunately, consumers need not worry when it comes to cod liver oil. All cod liver oils in the US must be tested according to protocols of the Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC) and approved free of detectable levels of 32 contaminants before they can be imported into this country. Furthermore, mercury is water soluble. It may be present in the flesh of fish, but it is not present in the oil."

i've read this in several different places, and for this reason, it is totally okay to NOT buy the most expensive brands of CLO. i buy the store brand. just make sure that whatever brand you buy uses the NATURAL SOURCE vitamins A and D. some brands remove them in the processing and add synthetic vitamins back in instead. sometimes it will tell you on the package, sometimes you actually need to call and ask specifically.

I think the website still recommends which brands are better than others.

Quote:
Fully cleaned and deodorized with nothing added back in. These oils have a reduced vitamin A content and virtually no vitamin D. This type of cod liver oil might be appropriate for life guards and others who spend a lot of time in the sun, and who want the benefits of vitamin
A, EPA and DHA without overdosing on vitamin D. But since vitamin D works synergetically with vitamin A, this would not be a good choice for most of us.
Non-deodorized with a fair amount of natural
vitamin A and D left. According to the company website, Garden of Life cod liver oil falls in this category. It contains 500-1500 IU vitamin A per gram (2500-7500 IU per teaspoon) and 100-175 IU vitamin D per gram (500-875 IU per teaspoon).
Fully cleaned and deodorized cod liver oil with synthetic vitamins added back in. Most of the cod liver oils on the market fall into this category. (You’ll need to check with the individual manufacturer to verify whether their cod liver oil falls in this category.) These vary in dose from about 1100 to 4600 IU vitamin A per teaspoon and 180 to 460 IU vitamin D per teaspoon.
Fully cleaned and deodorized, with natural vitamins added back in, standardized at 2340 IU vitamin A per gram (11,700 IU per teaspoon) and 234 IU vitamin D (1170 IU per teaspoon). This is the type of cod liver oil sold as Blue Ice and by Radiant Life and Dr. Ron’s UltraPure.
bolding mine

http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfo...nufacture.html

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#12 of 12 Old 10-21-2006, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmama View Post
any concerns about taking cod liver oil while pg? besides the mercury issue? i did find that Spectrum Naturals makes it and processes it in a way that reduces/eliminates mercury...
Look for pharmeceutical grade or the aoac thing. That means it has been purified and had the toxins removed. My naturopath recommends nordic naturals or carlson brand.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page