We've gone SUGAR-FREE! tribe - Page 10 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#271 of 300 Old 11-29-2006, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoB View Post
I am wondering what kind of 'meats' are you guys on and if bread 'carries sugar cravings ? I was wondering does milk contain sugar ? If so which common milk don't have sugar in it ?
I eat all meat but mainly fish and bison.

For me bread definitely activates cravings.

All non-cultured milk has sugar--its just called lactose. The only way to really rid of lactose are brick cheeses (colby, havarti, swiss) and homemade yogurt, sour cream or kefir.

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#272 of 300 Old 11-29-2006, 10:45 PM

wow animus, a 3 year "detox" would have told me that vegan wasn't right too. did you know then or was it not really apparent, like you couldn't compare it to anything so you didn't know you could feel better? i think about that alot, that with each new thing i learn about taking care of myself better, it's THEN that i realize how downright crappy i felt before it.

OT: how in ^&%# do you all keep up with this thread? my head is spinning - there is so much good stuff to read but i don't have time so i am just skimming...: .....and now i'm thinking of double-majoring? what am i thinking?!?!?!?
#273 of 300 Old 11-29-2006, 11:09 PM

Thanks ever so much I want to find 0 grams of sugar in food and actually one of the 'cheese sauce dips' had no sugar in it at all.

What juices do you drink ? How can it be a juice that is 0 sugar . Do you go get 'grass fed animals to eat ?

I'm lactose intolerant . I'm at a 'shock' of how their is sugar even in Vegetables even the ones that are in bags too.

Where do you find bison to eat ?
#274 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, MommytoB, what's going on here is some sugar confusion. There are many different types of sugar that show up on the nutrition panel under the same heading of sugar. Sugars end in "-ose" on an ingredient list. There are also mono or disaccharides that describe how many molecules make up the sugar. Fructose is naturally occuring in fruit and honey and is a monosaccharide which means it is digested very quickly. Sucrose, the classic table sugar from sugar cane and beets, is a disaccharide which means the body needs to break it down before it can be used. Glucose, a monosaccharide, is the bodies sugar currency--I think starches are broken into glucose before the body uses it. Lactose is a sugar in milk; maltose is a sugar in some grains and beer...there are many more but they extend beyond my realm of knowledge. So, if you are seeing sugars listed in your carrots, its not sugar-sugar, its probably fructose? or some other natural occuring one.

Sorry to confuse you. The best way is to just read the ingredient list and see if there is anything ending in "-ose"--that would mean its an added sugar.

Checking "sugar" on cheese works though to see how thourough the lactose has been cultured out.

Does this clear things up at all?

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#275 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyconmomma View Post
wow animus, a 3 year "detox" would have told me that vegan wasn't right too. did you know then or was it not really apparent, like you couldn't compare it to anything so you didn't know you could feel better? i think about that alot, that with each new thing i learn about taking care of myself better, it's THEN that i realize how downright crappy i felt before it.
The short answer is I just wanted to BELIEVE what I was doing was right. Like I said, I bought into the propaganda hardcore and wasn't willing to admit it was just that--propaganda.

AHHHHHH kids callin'. Will write more later!

#276 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 01:02 AM

sorry off topic, but i cant find the original thread for the Sugar-free challenge...anyone have the link?

I want to read others' "withdrawal symptoms"...i *hardly* eat sugar, but today, Day 3 of really buckling down and doing absolutely no sugar and i had an AWFUL horrific day with the kids...i know around day 3 lots complained of headaches...i dont have a headache but was exhausted to the point of TEARS, was completely impatient with the kids, did what felt like NOTHING all day, had NO energy whatsoever etc.

I did only get a couple hours of good sleep last night (dd2 woke up crying sooooo much last night )so i'm sure that made things much worse..

praying tmrrw is better....

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#277 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 01:13 AM

#278 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 01:21 AM

thank u!

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#279 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 01:36 AM

You betcha!
#280 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 02:41 AM

I like the "perky juice". What I like to do is add a slice of strawberry, lemon, lime & orange to my water (or just strawberry, or just some combo). I keep the same water glass going all day. By nighttime it's almost too sweet,lol. Sad it's not strawberry season anymore!

Oh, and for me, a huge YES bread activates cravings for me. I crave bread & crackers like I craved sugar. Mmmm...toast....

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#281 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 11:05 AM

I'm joining as a sugar addicted gal here. I have battled with my weight for years and have finally lost most of what I want to but realize it is my addiction to sugar that is sabotaging me. One piece is never enough. And it never tastes as good as I want it to. So it's time to stop. For the first few weeks I going back to basics of whole foods, no refined carbs etc, just simple eating. I feel like my body needs a great big cleanse and my tastebuds a retraining.

So far today I had whole grain oatmeal with mango mixed in and some herbal tea. I've got my tea stash stocked, apples like crazy in the fridge and a trip to the coop planned for tomorrow. It's going to be a long week.
#282 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animus_silvae View Post
Ok, MommytoB, what's going on here is some sugar confusion. There are many different types of sugar that show up on the nutrition panel under the same heading of sugar. Sugars end in "-ose" on an ingredient list. There are also mono or disaccharides that describe how many molecules make up the sugar. Fructose is naturally occuring in fruit and honey and is a monosaccharide which means it is digested very quickly. Sucrose, the classic table sugar from sugar cane and beets, is a disaccharide which means the body needs to break it down before it can be used. Glucose, a monosaccharide, is the bodies sugar currency--I think starches are broken into glucose before the body uses it. Lactose is a sugar in milk; maltose is a sugar in some grains and beer...there are many more but they extend beyond my realm of knowledge. So, if you are seeing sugars listed in your carrots, its not sugar-sugar, its probably fructose? or some other natural occuring one.

Sorry to confuse you. The best way is to just read the ingredient list and see if there is anything ending in "-ose"--that would mean its an added sugar.

Checking "sugar" on cheese works though to see how thourough the lactose has been cultured out.

Does this clear things up at all?
I read the canned vegetables -stated corn & peas, mixed vegetables-canned or frozen say salt , sugar, and water no 'fructose' or anything with the ose in it .

The actual vegetables that don't have 'actual sugar in it but say salt, water, green beans.

Well, now the 'cranberries say "high Fructose Corn Syrup" this is one word with no commons in between that, certain juices that say -no sugar added with water & the juice concentrate . It don't go in detail of the ingredients .

Lactose I'm lactose intolerant so I try and stay 'away from it but since 'real sugar candy like milk chocolate has the lactose in it too so I'm trying to get myself even more lactose free by hopefully coming sugar free.

Splenda is a succalrose sugar that my parents use all the time -which that your right it's harder to digest because it's made with a cholorine atom.

I always tried to give my grandpa sugar free treats since he's a diabetic and most of them had sugar alchols as sorbitol, malitol, other sugar free treats also had contained maltodextrin or even glycerine.
#283 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I read the canned vegetables -stated corn & peas, mixed vegetables-canned or frozen say salt , sugar, and water no 'fructose' or anything with the ose in it .

The actual vegetables that don't have 'actual sugar in it but say salt, water, green beans.

Well, now the 'cranberries say "high Fructose Corn Syrup" this is one word with no commons in between that, certain juices that say -no sugar added with water & the juice concentrate . It don't go in detail of the ingredients .

Lactose I'm lactose intolerant so I try and stay 'away from it but since 'real sugar candy like milk chocolate has the lactose in it too so I'm trying to get myself even more lactose free by hopefully coming sugar free.

Splenda is a succalrose sugar that my parents use all the time -which that your right it's harder to digest because it's made with a cholorine atom.

I always tried to give my grandpa sugar free treats since he's a diabetic and most of them had sugar alchols as sorbitol, malitol, other sugar free treats also had contained maltodextrin or even glycerine.
Well its just plain EVIL to add sugar to veggies!

Sorry MommytoB, I must have misunderstood your post. You really know your stuff!!!!

#284 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babybees View Post
I'm joining as a sugar addicted gal here. I have battled with my weight for years and have finally lost most of what I want to but realize it is my addiction to sugar that is sabotaging me. One piece is never enough. And it never tastes as good as I want it to. So it's time to stop. For the first few weeks I going back to basics of whole foods, no refined carbs etc, just simple eating. I feel like my body needs a great big cleanse and my tastebuds a retraining.

So far today I had whole grain oatmeal with mango mixed in and some herbal tea. I've got my tea stash stocked, apples like crazy in the fridge and a trip to the coop planned for tomorrow. It's going to be a long week.
Welcome 2babybees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recognize you from the running thread. I don't keep up with it though. Its just way to high volume for me.

It sounds like you are off to a good start here. Hey, if you can run a marathon, you can kick sugar out of your life--I promise!

#285 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks ever so much I want to find 0 grams of sugar in food and actually one of the 'cheese sauce dips' had no sugar in it at all.

What juices do you drink ? How can it be a juice that is 0 sugar . Do you go get 'grass fed animals to eat ?

I'm lactose intolerant . I'm at a 'shock' of how their is sugar even in Vegetables even the ones that are in bags too.

Where do you find bison to eat ?
I don't think juice CAN be 0 sugar. When I say "sugar-free", for me that's refined sugar-free.

I get grass-fed meats and bison at my local farmer's market. One year I bought 1/4 of a bison from a farmer and ate it all winter.

#286 of 300 Old 11-30-2006, 05:31 PM

Hi everyone. Just checking in. DS2 is sick, so I did NOT get to go to the library. I did call to see if they had "Garden of Eating" of course not. : So hopefully tomorrow I can run over there and see what they do have.

Welcome to all the new ones. I'm learning a lot. I read labels all the time because dd2 is allergic to dairy, wheat, rye, barley, peanuts......etc a lot of food. But I never dwell on the sugar.....thanks for the heads up on sugar infor mommytoB

I'm still eating apples
#287 of 300 Old 12-01-2006, 12:36 PM

What if anything ended up just with pectin along with 'fructose' could that be 'actually truly sugar free of unnatural sugars ?
#288 of 300 Old 12-01-2006, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What if anything ended up just with pectin along with 'fructose' could that be 'actually truly sugar free of unnatural sugars ?
There is a jam here in Canada callled Golden Valley All Fruit. There is no added sugar. It is sweetened with fruit juice and also contains pectin. There is no added fructose. I am not a jam person but do have a spoonful from time to time with tea. I still consider adding a refined source of fructose to be sugar and personally would not use the product.

What makes something a drug? Removing it from its mothersource, selecting only certain properties and concentrating them. This is what sugar is as well. My problem with sugar is that it removes the delicate balance of sweet things in nature. Fruits also contain salts and other minerals so when we eat them, yes, we are getting fructose, but it is in balance with many other components that work in harmony in the body. So concentrated "Fructose" is no different than sucrose IMO.

I am pretty much a whole foods activist. If we eat foods that have been minimally altered from their original state, we are sure to be making good dietary choices!

#289 of 300 Old 12-01-2006, 01:26 PM

I loooooooooooooooove this thread. I learn so much
#290 of 300 Old 12-01-2006, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
I loooooooooooooooove this thread. I learn so much
How's my baby doing this morning?

#291 of 300 Old 12-01-2006, 01:42 PM

Quote:
How's my baby doing this morning?
Excellent I'm starting the Dr Phil "diet" today. I have read and reread the Ultimate Weight Solutions book about compulsive eating, boredome eating, stress eating, etc. I don't find the meal plan a diet persay but a way of life. I can see myself eating this way forever. All food in the original state, no processed stuff, and just generally healthy!

How are YOU?
#292 of 300 Old 12-01-2006, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
How are YOU?
Well I dreamt about Lindor truffles again last night. If I understood MODERATION I might allow myself to have one from time to time. Its taking a lot of vigilance to keep sugar out of my thoughts. There are still a few scraps of Halloween candy left (big guns bribery) and I want to eat a tootsie roll. I think I am going to go through the cupboards today and get it ALL OUT!

The other day I was looking in the smily list and found one for sugar. Imagine that. Here it is!

#293 of 300 Old 12-01-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
The other day I was looking in the smily list and found one for sugar. Imagine that. Here it is!

#294 of 300 Old 12-01-2006, 03:43 PM

That is what I look like the day after I have had sugar... wow they got my coloring just right!

Although sometimes I look like this...: : :

Lately I have been having moments of melancholy about not having sugar anymore. It happens when i think of things like Peppermint Stick Ice Cream that we (DH and I) wait and wait and wait as a couple to come out this time of year, and then happily eat until it dissapears from the shelves at the end of the season. I need to find something that will replace these traditions and be as memorable. I can't believe I am sad about the ice cream loss... I feel silly.

Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#295 of 300 Old 12-01-2006, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlwons View Post
Lately I have been having moments of melancholy about not having sugar anymore. It happens when i think of things like Peppermint Stick Ice Cream that we (DH and I) wait and wait and wait as a couple to come out this time of year, and then happily eat until it dissapears from the shelves at the end of the season. I need to find something that will replace these traditions and be as memorable. I can't believe I am sad about the ice cream loss... I feel silly.
EEEEEEGGGGGGGGGGG NNNOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGG (insert tears)

#296 of 300 Old 12-01-2006, 06:53 PM

I use to buy Egg Nog flavored ice cream!!!!

I love ice cream, and I love egg nog.

Love this symbol animus_silvae

Here's to the holidays.

BUT NO sugar today.
#297 of 300 Old 12-02-2006, 05:48 AM

Hi all, I'd love to join ya all if i could: I'm sorry but i didn't read through all the posts, so much reading, 15pages wow so i'm sorry if these questions i'm about to ask have already been asked and answered. I've been trying the "no sugar" thing for a while now, several months, i've cut out the sugar but i can't cut out the substitutes, i use stevia like crazy! can you use too much stevia? Can my dd (2yr) use stevia? She loves it in Green tea. She won't drink water unless i put a drop of stevia in it. I also use maple syrup for my oatmeal, good? bad? What do you think? The main question here that i'd love some direction on is the stevia addiction, can u have too much? This is a GREAT thread btw
#298 of 300 Old 12-02-2006, 11:07 AM

So do you guys think a new thread is in order. We can just link to this one, but I have to admit, when I first came to this thread it was kind of deterring knowing there was already well over 200 posts. We are almost at 300! Think a month by month thread would be better?
#299 of 300 Old 12-02-2006, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've officially started the challenge after lurking here for a bit. It seems I cannot do moderation and I just need to stop this addiction. When I'm sneaking around the house so dh won't see me eating a chocolate bar he bought, you know I've got problems. He tries to monitor the chocolate or yogurt raisins by hiding them and giving me small bits. Yeah right. I sniff them out and down them! Obviously I know I shouldn't be doing it if I'm hiding from him!
I plan on going completely sugar free until Christmas and then maybe adding back a couple natural sweeteners like honey or agave.

Anyway, need some motivation? Look what I found! Yikes :
http://www.mercola.com/article/sugar...s_of_sugar.htm

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
#300 of 300 Old 12-02-2006, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So do you guys think a new thread is in order. We can just link to this one, but I have to admit, when I first came to this thread it was kind of deterring knowing there was already well over 200 posts. We are almost at 300! Think a month by month thread would be better?
Advice taken!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...86#post6674986

See you all there!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page