We've gone SUGAR-FREE! tribe - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 300 Old 11-22-2006, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stevie I love your thinking! It jives with my outlook, things like the idea of the universe giving you what you need and the whole interconnectedness of our spirits. And your persepective is so positive right now that it's contagious. So thanks!

HOORAY FOR Anna06 and babygrant! You had a really good day yesterday! Be proud.
:
#182 of 300 Old 11-22-2006, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn

Today has been quite the day. The ONLY thing with sugar I have had today is one glass of tea with 3 tsp of sugar. That's it. Nothing else. I woke up with a headache from hell. Put the kids down for a nap at 11, I went and fell asleep too, got up at 2:00 (DH was up with the kids when he woke up) and I still have a headache from hell. DH was wondering what was wrong with me because I am having a bit of a hard time concentrating. He was asking me something, simple question, and I really couldn't figure out what he was trying to ask me. My speech is kind of slurred, and I'm nauseated. I'm assuming this is all normal because I am detoxing off of sugar AND caffeine (I had a 1 or 2 cans of pop a day addiction as well).
#183 of 300 Old 11-22-2006, 09:43 PM

Hi everyone, can I join? I became sugar free about 2 weeks ago, and so far I've only slipped up a couple times. I had a family member send me some yummy gourmet dark chocolate covered macadamia nuts and I had to have a couple. : I watched the show on Oprah w/ Dr. Oz and decided I had to do this. So I am also only eating whole grains, no trans fats, and the other stuff on his list. That wasnt too much of a change because I tried to do that anyways, but I do miss my pasta. I was doing so good after the first week, I even made DH his favorite cookies to take to work with him and didnt even want to eat one! After eating that piece of chocolate though, it started my cravings up again.

I have always made the Cinnamon Applesauce Muffin recipe that I found on here, but now I'm wondering if its still ok. It calls for Mollases and honey as the sweeteners. Would that be ok?

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! I am going to go crazy not being able to eat the stuffing and pies.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#184 of 300 Old 11-22-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
I'm assuming this is all normal because I am detoxing off of sugar AND caffeine (I had a 1 or 2 cans of pop a day addiction as well).
Yikes! Can you send your DH to the store for some green tea for the caffeine? If you have a health store handy, activated charcoal pills too. I'm sure there are other things that help make detoxing less awful but I don't know them.
#185 of 300 Old 11-22-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Yikes! Can you send your DH to the store for some green tea for the caffeine? If you have a health store handy, activated charcoal pills too. I'm sure there are other things that help make detoxing less awful but I don't know them.
i have green tea here so i can try that.
#186 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 02:06 AM

Hang in there, Babygrant! Caffeine and sugar are really hard to quit together. A few months ago, my sister and I made my dad quit sugar. He was buying lots of processed sugar snacks and going through many cups of coffee each day with several spoonfuls of sugar and that yucky fake creamer stuff. We have been especially worried about him since our mom passed away and most of his addictions developed because of my mom's love for sugar. We made him quit because he was having symptoms of reflux and digestive issues. After he quit, he got terrible headaches everyday for a few weeks. My sister took him to see a doctor and they found nothing wrong with him and I kept telling my dad and my sister it was from sugar and caffeine withdrawal. Sure enough, the headaches eventually went away.

Welcome, Danielle! Don't beat yourself up over the chocolate. It doesn't sound as bad as my husband's slipup with half a jar of honey and a couple of dozens of dates. Generally it is a lot easier to just abstain from sweets altogether for the first few weeks. Later, you will find that you can have sweets made with nutritive sweeteners like honey and molasses without cravings. Not sure if you've read all the posts, but remember to eat good satisfying snacks that are high in good fats and nutrients like nuts and cheese. If you're trying to do lowfat, you'll find that you crave sugar and carbs a lot more. If you're worried about weight, from personal experience, sugar and refined carbs are really the culprits in affecting the weight -- I am eating as much fat as I want but since I have cut out sugar and refined carbs, I have not had to regulate my intake and have plateaued within my ideal weight range for a few years now.
#187 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 03:18 AM

Babygrant you can do it! The soda is hard, I wasn't having it every day, but ohhh when I did I loved it. I am finally starting to not desire it, and it will happen for you. Just stick with it or you have to start all over. {{{hugs}}}

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#188 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 11:10 AM

Thanks everyone! I ended up going to bed at 7:20 last night. My painfull headache is gone today but still a dull throb in my head. Todays plan is no tea either. I am going grocery shopping so I am going to stock up on good snacks. I feel a bit deprived because I didnt stock up enough on healthy snacks so I cant find anything to eat. But I'm still going strong
#189 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I ended up going to bed at 7:20 last night. My painfull headache is gone today but still a dull throb in my head. Todays plan is no tea either. I am going grocery shopping so I am going to stock up on good snacks. I feel a bit deprived because I didnt stock up enough on healthy snacks so I cant find anything to eat. But I'm still going strong
YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#190 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 12:31 PM

I have to add, my mood is EXCELLENT today. I am in such a good mood. Hopefully it lasts the whole day
#191 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 01:36 PM

So how about what we are eating now?

I came across this little article on power foods from mothering last night, found it quite inspiring. I was thinking about how I'm vaguely obsessed with avocado lately (almost always just eat it with a spoon out of the skin) and how it's funny that "power foods" isn't so different from "power animals" if you know what I mean.

If anybody is completely baffled it's a term from neo-shamanism (more or less) for animal guides (more or less).
#192 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I have to add, my mood is EXCELLENT today. I am in such a good mood. Hopefully it lasts the whole day
so does that mean you have managed a great mood despite the headaches or did they go away?
#193 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyconmomma View Post
so does that mean you have managed a great mood despite the headaches or did they go away?
Well I had a dull ache in my head when I woke up....almost felt like I was hungover, but then I went and dropped DS off at preschool and went grocery shopping and by the time I got home my headache was gone! I feel great today, better than I've felt in a long time.
#194 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 03:26 PM

Way to go, Babygrant!

All you Thanksgiving celebrating mamas, I hope you have a good one!

Welcome, Danielle283. I'm feeling your pie-less pain. I've cut out flour as well, so this will be my first Thanksgiving without stuffing. The idea of which pains me more than going without pumpkin pie, (or the eggnog cheesecake my niece is making).

Surprisingly though, I don't really care all that much. I'm pretty sure that if I don't start nibbling at the foods I've been avoiding, (which feels very doable right now. We'll see how I feel when the candied yams are passed my way), it won't be that hard at all. I'm not craving any of that stuff! I don't even want it. Which amazes me.

Now, if I can just figure out a way to gracefully decline those dishes without offending anyone...
#195 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 03:34 PM

I'm glad I'm in Canada and I'm not tempted by the pie. I would really flunk if I was tempted with pumpkin pie.
#196 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
If anybody is completely baffled it's a term from neo-shamanism (more or less) for animal guides (more or less).
Like a totem, Sphinxie? The spirit of creamy green avacadoness to guide you across the treacherous terrain to sugar-freedom? I like it!

Mine is the cashew.

Ode to You, Cashew

O, mighty cashew!
Benevolent, and good.
You stand next to me,
where Snickers once stood.
You steer me from danger,
from waffles, from Rolos.
And keep me a stranger,
to the sugar in all of those
empty and vacuous foods I once needed.
I'd binge, and I'd cry, and then after I'd beated
and berated myself for my weakness and glut,
I'd feed M&Ms to my inner sugar-slut.

O! The hangovers, the shame!
The furtive night munching.
It was sugar to blame,
on cashews I'm now lunching!

Time to go make some sugar-free friendly snacks to bring to the family Thanksgiving gathering.
#197 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 05:08 PM

Awesome!!
#198 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 05:49 PM

I'm thinking I belong here.

Hi everyone, I'm Flutterbee and I'm addicted to sugar.

As a kid my favorite passtimes were eating koolaid powder out of the can (the tropical punch flavor, sugar already added, yum!), sucking down the ready whip whipped cream from the push top can (and placing it back empty in the fridge lol) and making oatmeal cookie batter just to eat. I now have more trouble with carbs but after reading through this thread I think its all related. I'm overweight, feel like crap most days and my skin is in bad shape, acne and rosacea together. I see the same sweet tooth and favoring of carbs in my dd and I think its time to put an end to it.

Glad to meet you all. I will be checking in as my journey begins.
#199 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterBee View Post
I'm thinking I belong here.

Hi everyone, I'm Flutterbee and I'm addicted to sugar.

As a kid my favorite passtimes were eating koolaid powder out of the can (the tropical punch flavor, sugar already added, yum!), sucking down the ready whip whipped cream from the push top can (and placing it back empty in the fridge lol) and making oatmeal cookie batter just to eat. I now have more trouble with carbs but after reading through this thread I think its all related. I'm overweight, feel like crap most days and my skin is in bad shape, acne and rosacea together. I see the same sweet tooth and favoring of carbs in my dd and I think its time to put an end to it.

Glad to meet you all. I will be checking in as my journey begins.
I just started too. This is a great group!
#200 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 07:58 PM

Wooowee, I don't know if it has to do with being sugar and caffeine free, but I pee like...a gazillion times a day. Anyone else????///
#201 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd-ducks View Post
Like a totem, Sphinxie? The spirit of creamy green avacadoness to guide you across the treacherous terrain to sugar-freedom? I like it!

Mine is the cashew.

Ode to You, Cashew

O, mighty cashew!
Benevolent, and good.
You stand next to me,
where Snickers once stood.
You steer me from danger,
from waffles, from Rolos.
And keep me a stranger,
to the sugar in all of those
empty and vacuous foods I once needed.
I'd binge, and I'd cry, and then after I'd beated
and berated myself for my weakness and glut,
I'd feed M&Ms to my inner sugar-slut.

O! The hangovers, the shame!
The furtive night munching.
It was sugar to blame,
on cashews I'm now lunching!

Time to go make some sugar-free friendly snacks to bring to the family Thanksgiving gathering.

odd-ducks, that's it. It's official. I love you.

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#202 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterBee View Post
Welcome FlutterBee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I love new people! Hey I used to eat hot chocolate powder. Anyone else remember Lic-M-Aid or is that just a Canadian thing?

#203 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animus_silvae View Post
Welcome FlutterBee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I love new people! Hey I used to eat hot chocolate powder. Anyone else remember Lic-M-Aid or is that just a Canadian thing?
yummmmmm lick 'em sticks
#204 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
yummmmmm lick 'em sticks
Oh so you are familiar with them, babygrant???? (hehe...I liked grape and orange)

Still doesn't solve the mystery: is it a Canadian thing or not?

#205 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 09:53 PM

Nope, never heard of 'em. : Haha, j/k. I remember eating those all the time when I was a kid. I remember the tubes that looked like straws that had the flavoured sugar that you dumped in your mouth too. Those were great! Weren't they called Pixie Sticks?
#206 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the welcome babygrant and animus_silvae!!

I ate hot chocolate packets and those giant pixie sticks I also remember Fun Dip...the candy stick with flavored packets. Good times lol.
#207 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 10:54 PM

yep, i ate the pixie stix and the the lick-m-sticks! weren't they called fun dip? at least in the states?

flutterbee, you have scored mucho points with me because i have hounded everyone to share their dirty sugar addiction moments with the group, (perhaps you had read this) and you gave it up in the opening post!! if you didn't read it, then you are even cooler for opening with that! you go with your not-bashful-sugar-junkie-(soon-to-be-no-more)-self!

odd-ducks, i just figured out why you are so rocking cool - i hadn't noticed you live in seattle. oh how envious i am.... i would love to go back there. i left my heart there. alas, i must make a new "heart" on this stupid stinking east coast.....

babygrant - how long was the total headache sufferage (can you say that? is it a word?) from start to finish? they haven't come back have they? you are so strong for what you just did for yourself!

OT, can someone tell me how one would use the afro smilie in a post? i just noticed that one and it seems so random? with no slew of multicultural ones and with it not being animated, i feel so confused. did i miss the boat that i just feel so out in the dark? because if you haven't noticed, as you are the queen of exclamations, animus, i feel compelled to find an appropriate use for every smilie and now i just feel stumped.....
#208 of 300 Old 11-23-2006, 11:37 PM

nak

i still have a bit of a dull ache in my head but i've spent lots of time outside today which seems to help.

about the afro smilie...theres a whole thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=564977 and http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=564147

right now i have some of my kick ass vanana bread in the ovem....yes its sugar free.
#209 of 300 Old 11-24-2006, 05:19 AM

Quote:
odd-ducks, that's it. It's official. I love you.
Right back at ya, sister!

You're so sweet, Crunchy. I actually far exceed Seattle's dorkiness limit, though. If I hadn't been born around here, I wouldn't be allowed to stay.

I just had the best Thanksgiving. I wanted to share it here, with all of you who made it possible. Five hours of family and food, and no sugar. Or, flour. And, you know what? It was fantastic. I had the most wonderful time. Turns out, celebrating the abundance in my life is possible without pumpkin pie. I just replaced sugar with gratitude and love.

And, green bean casserole.

Welcome, Flutterbee!
#210 of 300 Old 11-24-2006, 03:10 PM

Well I did eat TWO pieces of Apple Pie yesterday w/homemade whipped cream. No excuses there, and my rolls had sugar. Oh well!

Sugar free again today though. We're going out to lunch today but sugar free won't be a problem there I don't think. Be back later to start talking about what I am eating that is good.

eta...hey odd ducks, I grew up in Puyallup! I've been in Spokane the last 5 years though.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page