We've gone SUGAR-FREE! tribe - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2006, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterBee View Post
.I was taking my vitamins and as I was chewing on a Viactiv I realized it was the sweetest thing I'd had all day. Well of course, it has sugar in it Its a small amount and $10 a container so I will finish it and buy regular calcium vitamins when they're gone.
oh yeah, you will be a master at identifying if something has sugar in it or not. A long while back I was going NUTS over a strawberry-spinach salad with poppyseed dressing. I ate 3 servings and then clued in it MUST have sugar. I saw the recipe later and wouldn't you know it was sugar!

I bet there is even sugar in Listerine breath strips.

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animus_silvae View Post
oh yeah, you will be a master at identifying if something has sugar in it or not. A long while back I was going NUTS over a strawberry-spinach salad with poppyseed dressing. I ate 3 servings and then clued in it MUST have sugar. I saw the recipe later and wouldn't you know it was sugar!

I bet there is even sugar in Listerine breath strips.
Ohhhhh I looove the strawberry spinach salad. There's SO much sugar in it though.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:50 PM

Welcome Kathleen :

rat poison; and I always thought we were the only ones; turns out no one actually made jello out of it

I too have noticed that my mood is much steadier in the past few weeks. For those with children, I actually asked my kids to help me out. I sat them down and told them that I have a problem with candy. That it makes me angry and tired and I needed to quit eating it. I also shared that if it is in the house, I will eat it and asked if they would help me keep it out of the house.
My kids are 3 and 6; they asked what they could do. I said it would really help me if they didn't ask for candy when we were at the geocery store. Because it was habit, they did ask the first few times and I looked sad and said, "I would really like to get some candy too, but remember how I said it made me angry and tired?" They did remember, the little one actually cried quietly for a moment the first time... no addiction going on here

Anyway, it has worked at the movies too but only because I am with them of course. DH drinks soda and keeps it in my fridge. DS (3ys) asked one day if he could have cherry pop. I told him he couldn't have any pop. He asked if pop was only for grown-ups and I told him that it wasn't good for anyone. He asked if I drink it and I told him not anymore. Imagine DH's surprise when hours later, the little boy tells DH "Pop isn't good for kids, Dad. And pop isn't good for grown-ups either. Why do you drink pop, Dad?" :
Poor DH .....NOT! His lame answer? It tastes good and I'm done growing so it's okay if I drink it.
I'm just glad I got him to quit the diet stuff.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wow that was some interesting stuff about the vegan issue, animus. thanks for sharing. i had toyed with lots of different "styles" for a long time, including going raw (never got there fully) and read so much stuff about people who had experiences like yours when going vegan raw and explained it the way you said people did to you - that it was detoxing and normal. always makes me wonder. some of these people swore that it took them through hell and out the other side, but that it took sometimes a year or more to get "clean." personally, i feel so much more comfortable with the weston price/ NT way, but it is so damn hard to find good quality meat and dairy that i just end up giving in to the nasty crap at the acme! oh well, we all do what we can, eh?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyconmomma View Post
wow that was some interesting stuff about the vegan issue, animus. thanks for sharing. i had toyed with lots of different "styles" for a long time, including going raw (never got there fully) and read so much stuff about people who had experiences like yours when going vegan raw and explained it the way you said people did to you - that it was detoxing and normal. always makes me wonder. some of these people swore that it took them through hell and out the other side, but that it took sometimes a year or more to get "clean." personally, i feel so much more comfortable with the weston price/ NT way, but it is so damn hard to find good quality meat and dairy that i just end up giving in to the nasty crap at the acme! oh well, we all do what we can, eh?
Well I am open to thinking veganism can work for some people--I just think these are few and far between. Actually, while I was eating disordered, almost ALL of the girls I chatted with online were also vegan. I think it can be a very dangerous path if we venture down it during our vulnerable times.

I was actually vegan for about 3 years in total. The "detox" phase never lifted. Frankly I couldn't wait any longer. My heath was at a critical level. I don't ever think losing your ability to reproduce is a good thing.

The thing about veganism, as opposed to Standard American Diet, is it is a conscious way to eat and therefore usually much more heathy than the average omnivore diet. For myself, however, I have NEVER felt better than following the NT principles...and being sugar-free btw!

Oh, I should add, my little dance with the devil DID reactivated cravings--but much less powerful ones than the original week(s) of hell. I am just happy to be sugar-free once again. Curses to you Lindor balls!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
Old 11-28-2006, 05:31 PM

Question for you all....

Did you have to forgo fruit at all while getting rid of the sugar "taste"? The readon I am asking this is because I have been buying these wonderful little Satsuma tangerines that are sooooo delicious, I can never really eat just one. They are sooo sweet. I am just wondering if I am fooling myself thinking I will get over the sugar taste gig, if I keep eating yummie VERY SWEET tangerines?

I finally got some sleep last night after weeks of my little one keeping me up most the night. I feel horrible today, maybe because I am detoxing from the sugar.

Thank you for being here,
Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
Old 11-28-2006, 07:56 PM

FYI, table salt has sugar add to it. Use the grey sea salt it has 80 elements as for table salt has 2 plus they use bleach to make it white. Here is more info:

http://www.curezone.com/foods/salt/
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlwons View Post
Question for you all....

Did you have to forgo fruit at all while getting rid of the sugar "taste"? The readon I am asking this is because I have been buying these wonderful little Satsuma tangerines that are sooooo delicious, I can never really eat just one. They are sooo sweet. I am just wondering if I am fooling myself thinking I will get over the sugar taste gig, if I keep eating yummie VERY SWEET tangerines?

I finally got some sleep last night after weeks of my little one keeping me up most the night. I feel horrible today, maybe because I am detoxing from the sugar.

Thank you for being here,
Kathleen
I could NEVER EVER EVER cut out fruit. I loooove fruit. Past few days I've found that I am really craving fruit and no sugary things. We have SO many cookies in the house and I haven't ate one. I am so proud of myself
Old 11-28-2006, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
I could NEVER EVER EVER cut out fruit. I loooove fruit. Past few days I've found that I am really craving fruit and no sugary things. We have SO many cookies in the house and I haven't ate one. I am so proud of myself
Right there with ya, baby! I never ever would WANT to cut fruit. That would be the end of me.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:15 PM

Apple Apple I've had 2 apples today. But NO sugar.

Again I'm grateful for all the infor on other diets. Thanks.... Going to the library tomorrow to check out some books on nutrition.

What a great thread. I feel improwered.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
What a great thread. I feel improwered
It is powerful, isn't it? Now, that's a benefit of participating in this sugar-free group that I didn't anticipate. Even as we do battle with Christmas cookies, or Lindor Truffles, (the hazelnut ones...Mmmm), it feels bigger than that, now. For me, anyway. There's more strength behind my convictions because they're not just my convictions, anymore. They're ours. It feels like there's an army backing me up and supporting my efforts. Very cool.

I'm going to be incommunicado for a while as I relocate. I'll be checking in to read up on everyone's progress and gain inspiration whenever I'm able, though

Take care all, be back soon!
Old 11-28-2006, 10:20 PM

I didn't cut out fruit, but I have cut way down on my juice (100% only) intake. I limit it to 1 or 2 glasses a day, and always with a meal. I used to be a much bigger juice drinker when I first went off soda. Man, it's almost been a whole month since I started on this no sugar/no soda thing.

When I was vegetarian/wanna be vegan, I was a bad one. Too much processed "soy" stuff, and not enough know how to do well in the kitchen. Lots of pasta. One thing that has stuck was from when we cut out all dairy, I quit drinking milk, quit using cow cheese, all of it. We switched to tofutti brand cream cheese and sour cream, rice/soy milk (I never drank it though). Both dh & I lost about 20+ lbs. that summer (it was before we began ttc our second child). Over the last year, we stopped buying soy/rice milk (though I still have two cases of organic rice milk,lol) & fake dairy products, switched to organic dairy. I still don't drink milk though. It's been a little more than 4 years since we started changing our diet, and now we've morphed into what I think we will remain.

I tried sugar free vanilla ice cream the other night, with sugar free chocolate syrup. It wasn't good. I added sugar free (fruit sweetened only) strawberry jam and mixed that in, it made it tolerable. So not worth it though,lol. Yech.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:26 AM

Hey Odd ducks, we will sure miss you. You always make me laugh.

Try to hurry back. And stay strong girl, you've got the power.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:40 AM

I could never cut out fruit. It's so wholesome and yummy! I remember reading once that apples are especially good and just eating apples alone can help you lose weight. I love all fruits and it's a very good indulgence -- it satisfies all the senses when eating. So many different textures and flavors, colors, and fragrance!

I did cut out juice completely after recognizing that it is also very refined. We did make fresh juices for awhile but the stuff from a store is pretty denatured. It's stripped of all fiber, and then pasteurized and stored in a bottle for months on a shelf, so most of the nutrients and enzymes are gone. It is very sad. Not sure if any of you watched the Future of Food, but what's now in our supermarkets is very scary.

Hi animus_silvae DH and I have been NT for about 2 years and I'm over at the traditional foods forum a lot. It's been a long journey for us. About 4 years ago, fast foods was the first to go, then HFCS, then sugar, then trans fats, then we went to completely whole foods, and then now WAP/NT.

It's now been probably a full 3 years since I last had a fast food burger and about 2 years since I last had a Lindor truffle. Yes, I too loved those Lindor truffles. When one of my good friends got married, they gave away champagne glasses filled with Lindor truffles. I still remember fondly that her wedding was right after the holidays and the truffles were all wrapped in different colors and came in different flavors. MMMM. I think the amaretto flavor was my favorite. Some days I do celebrate the fact that I'm not tempted anymore, but food and culture is so intertwined that I do miss those cappucino outings with my sister complete with a big slice of tiramisu.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd-ducks View Post
It is powerful, isn't it? Now, that's a benefit of participating in this sugar-free group that I didn't anticipate. Even as we do battle with Christmas cookies, or Lindor Truffles, (the hazelnut ones...Mmmm), it feels bigger than that, now. For me, anyway. There's more strength behind my convictions because they're not just my convictions, anymore. They're ours. It feels like there's an army backing me up and supporting my efforts. Very cool.
Take care all, be back soon!
This is absolutely spot on!!! I have an IRL support group but this daily check in for me is making hte difference in hte every day stuff. Y'all ha ve become my journal
Old 11-29-2006, 05:14 AM

I have a hugmongous sugar addicition and I'm hoping to start to go fully sugar free tomorrow . I was wondering what kind of 'menu's do you guys do of a plan of 'recipes' for a 21 day challenge ?

I don't want to get my son into sugar fully but then also question of 'movie treats is nacho's with nacho cheese better than popcorn ?
Old 11-29-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoB View Post
I don't want to get my son into sugar fully but then also question of 'movie treats is nacho's with nacho cheese better than popcorn ?
My DH is really into movies and has developed over the years a taste for such food. It grosses me out. I mean, it just smells so bad, you know there's bad stuff in it--probably worse than sugar! I would recommend taking your own snacks. Just hide them in a bag, nobody will know unless you make a big show of it.

ETA: We get bubbly water instead of soda. Those machines mix the bubbly water and syrup as it's spitting out the soda, and if you ask they can just sell you the bubbly water plain. It's a bit of a silly way to spend money but, my DH prefers it
Old 11-29-2006, 11:22 AM

odd-ducks, thank you.
I think I love you!

(see my new "location")

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
Old 11-29-2006, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=BelovedBird;6646290]odd-ducks, thank you.
I think I love you!
QUOTE]

Hey, I found her first!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess we need to share.

Odd-ducks, come back soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
I did cut out juice completely after recognizing that it is also very refined. We did make fresh juices for awhile but the stuff from a store is pretty denatured. It's stripped of all fiber, and then pasteurized and stored in a bottle for months on a shelf, so most of the nutrients and enzymes are gone. It is very sad. Not sure if any of you watched the Future of Food, but what's now in our supermarkets is very scary.
I agree. Be cautious with juice! Once in a whole I like to dilute it with soda water as a treat and if no soda water, I dilute it until its no longer sweet and just "perky water". If anyone is worried about the glycemic index, there are big red flags around juice. It is far from a whole food and we all know how important fiber is!

K, I'm typing without my glasses on and this is really hard...I'll check in later!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna06 View Post
Again I'm grateful for all the infor on other diets. Thanks.... Going to the library tomorrow to check out some books on nutrition.
Right now I am Reading The Garden of Eating and am absolutely loving it. I would really recommend you checking it out!

This no glasses thing is getting ridiculous. Back to bed!

Old 11-29-2006, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a hugmongous sugar addicition and I'm hoping to start to go fully sugar free tomorrow . I was wondering what kind of 'menu's do you guys do of a plan of 'recipes' for a 21 day challenge ?
(glasses on)

Welcome MommytoB!

Menus....well I just try to focus on whole foods and a classic way of eating. Slow cooked meats, lots of veggies, high fat fruits (avocados and nuts), homemade yogurt, limited breads and other refined grain products (and if I mus have bread then sourdough) and a good supply of the big guns--Medjool dates! Nothing stops a sugar-craving in its tracks like a fat ol' Medjool!

I've been eating healthy for many years for the most part--or at least have HAD the knowledge about eating healthy--so sugar is pretty much my final frontier.

If you've read much of our thread, you will know that high fat foods are important during your detox. DO NOT TRY TO DIET AT THE SAME TIME! Living sugar-free isn't a diet; its the expulsion of an addiction!

Old 11-29-2006, 02:05 PM

Oh I can't believe it! I made it through Thanksgiving with all the sugar that could have offered... but this weekend my girlfriends and I have planned a Holiday Tea at a local wonderful restaurant. Oh it is going to be tough... Scones are so yummy esp. with clotted cream. I could probably forgo the cookies and tarts with no problem, but the scones are going tobe a tough one... .

About the fruit. I have no desire to give it up for the long haul. I just believe that I have a candida issue and I am sure I get yeast issues from fruit as well. Hopefully leaving sugar behind will do the trick for me. I love fruit as well...

Do any of you use alternative natural sugars like... agave? I just found agave in the last year and was so happy the glycemic level was low. Is that walking a scary line though? Would that push me back to wanting refined sugar? I was starting to use it in my baking and it was working out great... my DH and DS1 liked it as well, sort of started to replace honey for all of us. Are there any other natural sugars that you may use? I don't like the aftertaste of Stevia or Xylitol.

animus_silvae- I am going to look at my library for that book. It looks great.

My food choices are getting fewer and fewer. I don't seem to be tolerating much wheat, white or whole. And I can't mix dairy with much of anything. This is new territory for me. I am glad I found you all...

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:18 PM

I am wondering what kind of 'meats' are you guys on and if bread 'carries sugar cravings ? I was wondering does milk contain sugar ? If so which common milk don't have sugar in it ?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:12 PM

I learned my lesson once and for all. Yesterday I ate a cookie, then figured oh what the hell I'll eat another. Well 6 chocolate cookies later I felt sick. This morning I woke up with a HUGE headache. Blah. I feel disgusting. I am so snippy at the kids. So yeah, I learned my lesson, I can't even allow myself even a tiny bit. And today all I crave is sugar. :
Old 11-29-2006, 06:31 PM

Babygrant... See I know this is what will happen for me if I allow myself just a little at the Teas on Saturday.

I am a raving lunatic today! I must be getting something out bigtime today because EVERYTHING is bugging me sooooo much! (Sadly mostly my DS1 whom i homeschool ) I hope I get through this soon, so i can see what it feels like to be FREE!!!!

Love,
Kathleen

Old 11-29-2006, 07:12 PM

Anyone else feel calmer, less stress, less anxiety, whatever, since quitting sugar?

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
Old 11-29-2006, 07:45 PM

how do you make homemade yogurt ?
Old 11-29-2006, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
how do you make homemade yogurt ?
If you culture yogurt for 24 hours, you will get rid of all the lactose (milk sugar that can be upsetting to some people's digestion). I buy a big gallon of organic milk and top if off with some cream. Then I bring it to a simmer and cool. Once cool, I add some PLAIN store bought yogourt that only has milk ingredients and active culture as the ingredients (first mixing it with a little of the cooled milk so its not chunky). Then I mix the yogurt into the milk and pour into quart jars. From there, I put them into my stove with a 60W light bulb in the outlet and incubate for 24 hrs. Its tangier and runnier than commerical yogurt but soooo yummy once you get onto it. I really like high fat yogurt--it hits the spot.

Sorry I don't have measuements in my "recipe". I just do it by eye...

Old 11-29-2006, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post
I learned my lesson once and for all. Yesterday I ate a cookie, then figured oh what the hell I'll eat another. Well 6 chocolate cookies later I felt sick. This morning I woke up with a HUGE headache. Blah. I feel disgusting. I am so snippy at the kids. So yeah, I learned my lesson, I can't even allow myself even a tiny bit. And today all I crave is sugar. :
Oh baby s I was hoping I learned the lesson for BOTH of us after the Lindor incident. We just gotta keep moving forward. I'm right beside you,

T

User Tag List