We've gone SUGAR-FREE! tribe - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 300 Old 10-22-2006, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I promised, here's our own little tribe.

21 days feels like my whole life now. I really don't miss the nasty stuff at all!

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#2 of 300 Old 10-22-2006, 06:14 PM

I haven't done nearly as well as you animus_silvae, but I am so much better than before. Looking forward to seeing how everyone else is doing. I always start over every Sunday or Monday. Seems like I just want a treat on the week-end. I look forward to it during the week even. How old am I anyway??
: ha ha
#3 of 300 Old 10-23-2006, 02:43 AM

Ooooh, a sugar-free tribe! How cool Day 22 has come and is nearly gone, and... no sugar! I don't really crave it, either. I'm expecting a massive relapase to hit me upside my head anytime, but so far I'm doing really well. Nowadays, it's more about overcoming unhealthy emotional eating habits than trying to battle physical cravings for the stuff like I used to. Had some big life changes transpire today. Good things, but pretty overwhelming. My first impulse was to head for the sugar to quiet, (a.k.a. 'paralyze', 'numb' and otherwise stupify) the resulting emotional tumult.

But, I bought unsweetened carob chips and raw cashews, instead. I'm riding out this emotional storm of change clean and sober.

A snack idea for peanut butter/chocolate lovers: chocolate-walnut Nectar bars with peanut butter smeared on top. Mmmm-mmm!

Amazingly, and against all dietary logic, I think I've lost weight.

I'm looking forward to keeping up with all the other sugar-free wayfarers!
#4 of 300 Old 10-23-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I LOVE this tribe! Oh wow, how neat it feels to have people (even cyber-people!) at my side as I make this life change.

Odd-ducks, I love how you used the expression "clean and sober". I firmly believe sugar is a drug and am terribly guilty my ds isn't as sugar-free as I am and very much ashamed I used the addictiveness of sugar to manipulate him into the stroller when we are in a store. (I have always hated strollers but ds1 is a wild child and now that ds2 is here, the grocery store is an impossibility without a stroller). Anyway, I feel I can take a much clearer look at my eating habits now that sugar is out of the way. The two are suprizingly different--sugar consumtion and eating habits I mean.

We'll have to continue this discussion later. Two babes a callin' !

Syrinx, Soulmate to Pan, Mama to Zion (5), River (3), Silver (1) and expecting a baby Storm...
#5 of 300 Old 10-23-2006, 04:34 PM

Oh - I want to join your tribe!!
I went sugar-free after my dd was born for post-partum depression, prescribed by my acupuncturist. I felt a million times better. I fell off the wagon though because when I was better, my acupuncurist told me that I could eat like other people on special occassions. This turned-out not to be true for me because I am so super-addicted. So I've been back on the stuff for a year and I need to find the will-power to stop!!! Especially since I'm pregnant again. I'm starting to cook the way I did before - now all I have to do is so "NO!" to dessert and treats.

Wife to French hubby (8/02), Mama to DD (3/05) and DS (02/07) and (3/10)
#6 of 300 Old 10-23-2006, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome babsbob!

You did it before and you can do it again! I bet you even have some great tips for those of us planning to go sugar-free long term.

I'm curious as to whether or you used natural whole sweeteners during your abstainance and whether or not you worried about sugar in condiments.

I'm still trying to find out what level of "sugar-free" is sustainable for the long haul.

#7 of 300 Old 10-24-2006, 04:26 PM

Well,
I was on the Candida diet basically and couldn't have sugar in condiments or anything that was processed. I couldn't even eat fruit the first two weeks. I also couldn't do dairy.
I don't think I could do that again. I think I will still eat fruit and maybe a tiny amount of honey sometimes. The dairy depends on how my baby does with it while breastfeeding - but I do need to limit it a little - I think I would feel better.

Breakfast is the hardest meal for me because I like sweet stuff for breakfast!!! I never could figure out how to make oatmeal taste good with out sweeteners.

Wife to French hubby (8/02), Mama to DD (3/05) and DS (02/07) and (3/10)
#8 of 300 Old 10-24-2006, 09:29 PM

Great thread! i would love to get off sugar! We mostly sweeten with maple syrup and sucanat? What about sweetening oatmeal with dates? Does that count as sugar free? My major addiction is chocolate-the darker the better!
#9 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 02:31 AM

I had my first real craving in two weeks today. That damn Target commercial with the Oreo cookie cows drinking from a milk stream spawned it: A little disheartening since I was hoping against hope that my sugar cravings might actually be a thing of the past.

Didn't buy those Oreos, though! Or any chocolate, either, (one of my big weaknesses, too, Peacepiece). I've found that keeping a bag of raw trail mix in my car really helps keep me on track. On days when I find myself driving ravenously toward the store, I munch on that and it takes the edge off. It makes the store, (i.e. candy/cookie aisles) manageable. Apple slices with peanut butter has become my new nighttime snack. (In place of carrot cake or sandwich cookies).

Being sugar-free I feel so much better. So much clearer. ...So much less of a fraud. I mean, I'm the 'sugar-free' mom. I want so much for my children to be able to direct their energies into something more meaningful than a battle with sugar, so I'm trying to raise them with a healthy diet and healthy habits. Huffing M&Ms in the front seat of my mini-van while driving home from the store with bags of healthy whole foods for my kids was... not the kind of mom I want to be for them.
#10 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 03:25 AM

I gave up soda and redbull for the last few months, at first I was just feeling so miserable but now I don't miss it at all!
#11 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 03:52 AM

Hi! I feel like I've found the right middle ground for myself, so after a few months of being 100% no sugar (excluding most fruits, dairy, and the stuff that I wasn't sure had sugar or not) I'm no longer 100%. But I'm still mostly sugar free. And completely sugar craving free

Nice to see this kind of tribe
#12 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 04:22 AM

Hi!

I really like stevia. Have any of you tried it? It takes a week or so to get used to, but then once I do, sugar just tastes gross to me. I lost 5 pounds in about 2 weeks just replacing the sugar in my 2 cups of coffee in the morning with it! And it's natural, no chemicals. Great stuff!
#13 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd-ducks View Post
IHuffing M&Ms in the front seat of my mini-van while driving home from the store with bags of healthy whole foods for my kids was... not the kind of mom I want to be for them.

Well put, odd-ducks!

#14 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, mamas! I'm wondering if it would be better to move this tribe to Health and Healing or Nutrition and Good Eating? You could still be a tribe there, but
Quote:
Though Finding Your Tribe was originally opened to help parents find each other based on their location we have welcomed tribe threads for parents of a like-minded path to meet and chit chat with one another. However, such threads should not take a focus of discussion for a topic that is hosted in an existing forum at MDC.

A natural course of chit chat discussion might carry you into discussing your daily lives and sharing events and struggles. But focused discussion of a parenting topic, a breastfeeding issue or problem, an activist or political issue, a religious concern or belief, just to name a few, should go to the appropriate forum for discussion with the larger MDC community. If you have any question in this regard feel free to check with the moderators before posting. Should you post or thread not be appropriate for FYT on this basis it may be moved to the appropriate forum.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=168763

So... if you're going to mostly be focused on living sugar-free, another forum would be a better fit. If this is going to mostly be focused on daily living and chit-chat, you're more than welcome here.

Please let me know your thoughts!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#15 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Hi! I feel like I've found the right middle ground for myself, so after a few months of being 100% no sugar (excluding most fruits, dairy, and the stuff that I wasn't sure had sugar or not) I'm no longer 100%. But I'm still mostly sugar free. And completely sugar craving free
Oh sphinxie, I really don't think I could go fruit free. Candida or not, fruit are one of my final frontier pleasures. Actually our big Friday night treat (used to be panago pizza and beer) is now a plate of smoked fish, fruits, cheeses and a glass or two of dry red wine. Please Universe, do not force me to give that up!

#16 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggleBirds View Post
Hi!

I really like stevia. Have any of you tried it? It takes a week or so to get used to, but then once I do, sugar just tastes gross to me. I lost 5 pounds in about 2 weeks just replacing the sugar in my 2 cups of coffee in the morning with it! And it's natural, no chemicals. Great stuff!
Oh no. I can't handle stevia or licorice. Herbal sweeteners just don't do it for me. I am really glad its available for people who want it, but I'm not one of them!

#17 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Hey, mamas! I'm wondering if it would be better to move this tribe to Health and Healing or Nutrition and Good Eating? You could still be a tribe there, but

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=168763

So... if you're going to mostly be focused on living sugar-free, another forum would be a better fit. If this is going to mostly be focused on daily living and chit-chat, you're more than welcome here.

Please let me know your thoughts!
Annette
OK. I guess we better move. I've never moved a thread before so can you guide me thorough it, Annette?

#18 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animus_silvae View Post
OK. I guess we better move. I've never moved a thread before so can you guide me thorough it, Annette?
I have to use my super mod powers. Where would you like to go--health and healing or nutrition and good eating?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#19 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 03:03 PM

Reluctantly subbing for the move.
#20 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 03:10 PM

Subbing too. I've been sugar free since the new year.
#21 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

uhhhh...its overcoming an addiction I guess. I don't really know. I'm pretty much an MDC amateur.

Your call, Annette!

#22 of 300 Old 10-26-2006, 05:11 PM

OK, I'm going to whoosh you to health and healing. There's a healing-the-gut tribe there too, so you'll be in good company. Hold on tight!

#23 of 300 Old 10-27-2006, 12:11 AM

sign me up! I just went white sugar free this week, and plan to start a candida diet next week. any tips babsbob?

Busy mama of
#24 of 300 Old 10-28-2006, 03:39 PM

Hi everyone, I'm still working on it. Doing better than last week....I'll probable always have a sugar battle. But this is a great tribe, and I am certainly more responsiblae now. It is inspiring to know others are doing so well.

I love STEVIA...
#25 of 300 Old 10-28-2006, 04:26 PM

I am definitely still working on it!!! I'm doing better than I was a few weeks ago, though, definitely. A friend of mine introduced me to this stuff called "Nesher Malt" - it's this Israeli drink - non alcoholic and decidedly pretty healthy - except for the added sugar!! : I : this drink!! I wish I had never tried it.

Stevia - I really don't like it. I wish I did. Tastes like fake sweetner to me. I have it ground in my freezer and it's been in there for months. They sell it in liquid form in my health food store - should I try it or should I just not bother?
#26 of 300 Old 10-28-2006, 07:06 PM

I've never used fresh ground Stevia. I use the powder kind, in a little pkg, like sugar. I've used it awhile. It's just all what you get use to. I tried the liquid once, I liked it. But mine came out to fast, and I only use it in coffee or tea. I can control the powder better.
#27 of 300 Old 10-28-2006, 09:08 PM

subbing:
#28 of 300 Old 10-30-2006, 01:30 AM

i vote nutrition and good eating :
#29 of 300 Old 10-30-2006, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturekate View Post
i vote nutrition and good eating :
too late! We've already moved!

#30 of 300 Old 10-30-2006, 12:23 PM

Nice to find this tribe, whereever it may now be! We are a sugar-free family and have been that way for, hmm, since DS was born? To be full disclosure here, Iam the most likely offender in our house, however, and do have slightly-sugarized items now and then, mostly at the coffee shop. And after DD was born I made and drank loads of Chai with Sucanat, which technically is still sugar even though totally unrefined. In general, though, we are completely sugar-free as a matter of practice and I seriously think that white sugar (and white flour too) is a drug that should be banned. Not eating sugar has been one of the most important health decisions we as a family have made, I think.

We do occasionally use substitutes like brown rice syrup, molasses, and agave syrup if we must have something in a particular recipe....stevia powder is a staple in our house too. It is so cute to hear my son ask for soy milk (we get unsweetened) "with Steve in it". He has never had candy or refined sugar of any kind that I know of. People always comment on how sweet he is and well behaved (eh, hemm, in public, not at home I might add!) - perhaps there is an inverse relationship between sweetness of temperment and amount of sugar consumed?

I was struck, pre-babies, by the erratic behavior of a toddler who was allowed to eat indiscriminate amounts of chocolate and vowed that if I ever had children they would never eat that way. When I was pregnant with DS, though, I was blind to the whole sugar issue and ate horrid things like coke, gummy worms (!) and sweet tarts. I would never do that now! My mother is a complete sugar addict who exercises like mad and complains about her weight....

Anyway, I am so happy to see that there are others doing the no-sugar thing. Once you get used to it as a mind-set it is just a way of life and not hard at all, IMHO.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page