Why do I keep getting cold sores?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-23-2006, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since I was a little kid, I've gotten a cold sore on the exact same place on my lip. It happened maybe once every 1 or 2 years... but for the past 2 years I've gotten one every 3-4 months. What's the deal?! Are these maybe not cold sores, but vitamin deficiencies or something? How can I get rid of them after they start, and prevent them? AHHH it's driving me crazy! :

babyf.gif

#2 of 7 Old 10-23-2006, 01:27 AM

I never get or got one but my ds does and I am curious to any replies.:
#3 of 7 Old 10-23-2006, 01:31 AM

Sounds like Herpes. From the Mayo Clinic: The scenario is all too familiar: You feel a tingling on your lip and a small, hard spot that you can't yet see. Sure enough, in a day or two, red blisters appear on your lip. It's another cold sore, probably happening at a bad time, and there's no way to hide it or make it go away quickly.

Cold sores — also called fever blisters — are quite different from canker sores, a condition people sometimes associate them with. Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus, and they're contagious

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cold-sore/DS00358
#4 of 7 Old 10-23-2006, 02:30 AM

Take L-Lysine, an amino acid, in somewhat larger does for a few months. Then, just take them when you feel a sore starting. This reduces the frequency, severity, and duration. I've done that for canker sores and seen great results. My understanding is that it's the same for cold sores.
#5 of 7 Old 10-23-2006, 01:34 PM

I always get them when my immune system is low, when I'm ill or just run-down, after childbirth, etc. Take L-lyseine like pp mentioned. It really helps. Also, vitamin C. And you want to avoid dairy products, grains and foods high in sugar.
#6 of 7 Old 10-24-2006, 11:41 PM

ditto on the lysine. also when you feel one coming on put ice on it. they dont like cold, i was told. another thing i do is put a moistened tea bag on it too. i've read that too much arginine may cause it to reappear which can be found in chocolate, dairy, peanuts, oatmeal, peas, etc. but ask your doctor about it. good luck. i hate 'em too.
#7 of 7 Old 10-24-2006, 11:44 PM

I get the same 2 cold sores when I'm stressed. I have "Cold Sore Wizard", I think that's what it's called. It has a wizard on the bottle. If you put it on repeatedly throughout the day when you first get that little itch or tingle, it prevents the cold sore from coming out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page