alternatives to pedialyte? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-28-2006, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 11 mo dd and I both have the flu as of 6 am today. My dd is vomiting every one or two hours, and has not kept anything down including breast millk. My mom is pressuring me to give her pedialyte, but I am reluctant to do that. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does anyone know any alternatives to pedialyte? TIA...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 10-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

:

My DD has a stomach bug too (FYI OP, it's not the flu, it's probably Rotovirus, the flu is a respiratory illness)

So, I wouldn't mind a few alternatives to pedialite too (My DD is 3 and no longer nursing)
#3 of 23 Old 10-28-2006, 04:32 PM

breastmilk has everything pedialyte has plus more. it is much better. even if she vomits almost immediately some breastmilk will get absorbed.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...html#Pedialyte

Quote:
When baby is sick, moms are sometimes told to discontinue or restrict breastfeeding and substitute an oral rehydration therapy such as Pedialyte. This outdated practice has been shown to offer no benefits to the breastfed baby, and can even delay healing.
it is especially important because you both have the same virus, so antibodies will also be passed through.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#4 of 23 Old 10-28-2006, 06:33 PM

BREASTMILK!

-Angela
#5 of 23 Old 10-28-2006, 07:39 PM

Have you ever tasted Pedialyte? YUCK.

For a kid who is weaned, they do make adult oral rehydration solutions which taste even worse than Pedialyte, but I think they leave out all the "kid-friendly" artificial coloring at least. What I do for my own self when I need something of the sort is to make a salty broth (I use bouillon cubes, but of course it's better to make your own broth and add salt-- maybe there are organic bouillon cubes, what do I know) and mix in rice. Like half a cup of cooked rice with a cup of broth, that ratio.
#6 of 23 Old 10-28-2006, 10:19 PM

[QUOTE=lolar2;6391188]Have you ever tasted Pedialyte? YUCK. QUOTE]

: My doc gave me one when I was really sick last summer. I couldn't believe how nasty it tasted. I don't know how kids drink that stuff!

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#7 of 23 Old 10-29-2006, 12:05 AM

Will I regret asking what the concern with pedialite is? DS likes the frozen popsicles. He’s been sick (vomiting, coughing, fever) for the past three days and they are all he’ll “eat”.

Wife to Dh Mom to Ds (6) Dd (3)
and our brand new Ds
#8 of 23 Old 10-29-2006, 12:09 AM

I don't know anything about it except it tastes nasty to me.

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#9 of 23 Old 10-29-2006, 01:37 AM

Pedialyte tries to be as good as breastmilk. Of course it fails. It's not that it's that BAD, it's just that breastmilk is much, MUCH better for a sick child.

-Angela
#10 of 23 Old 10-29-2006, 01:52 AM

My ND recomends recharge for kids that wont keep anything down. It has always woked well for us and it does not taste as bad. We buy it at Fred Meyers or the health food store. Here is the info link:

http://www.knudsenjuices.com/product...&productID=245
#11 of 23 Old 10-29-2006, 01:01 AM

I've given pedialyte, and it does work, when they vomit BM they will keep the pediatlyte down. But the problem is neither of my kids will drink it anymore, because it's so super-sweet and wierd tasting. But the way I do it is to do the pedialyte for 1 day then try 1 BM feeding and if baby keeps it down, discontinue the pediatlyte. I actually did it with juice last time because baby wouldn't drink pedialyte. It's not so much that I think it's good for him, I just want him to get something to drink without waking up later with his face in a pool of vomit. I know BM is best nutritionaly, but that's not my only concern at that exact moment.

But even though my ped said something like it takes several days for the digestive system to be able to handle BM again, I don't wait several days, I try to BF after 1 day and the kids have always been able to keep BM down after that 1 day.

Single mom of 2 boys
#12 of 23 Old 10-29-2006, 01:14 AM

My kids won't drink pedialyte, we've even tried several flavors. They will eat the popsicles after I told them they are "Otter Pops." My mom used to give us watered down apple juice before there was pedialyte, or flat ginger ale, and we survived.
#13 of 23 Old 10-29-2006, 01:33 AM

i just dont let the baby nurse for more than a minute or two at a time when she is pukey (she pukes when she runs a fever or sometimes when she works herself into a temper tantrum) if she wants to eat right after she pukes i wont let her, i wait for about 15 minutes, then i let her go for a minute or two and pull her off. if she keeps that down for 15 minutes i'll offer her more. usually she can keep small amounts down but if she has a full feed she'll just puke it up. we tried pedialyte and she wouldnt touch it, not even the popsicles... i was going to point you towards the kellymom link but somebody beat me too it! breastmilk is always best for a sick baby who is nursing

i just give my big guy partially frozen gatoraide in small amounts
#14 of 23 Old 10-29-2006, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

okay, thanks for the tips. dd has puked 7 times in the last 24 hours. she also has diarrhea (as do I, yuck!). I am still trying to breastfeed her. it is hard because she is so hungry that she is hysterical. if I let her nurse until she stops on her own she immediately throws up. if i only let her nurse for a minute she screams and cries. i have also been giving her recharge and white grape juice. i will try a little soup broth with a little rice today and see if she can keep that down. again, thanks for the tips....
#15 of 23 Old 10-29-2006, 07:31 PM

So sorry your babe is sick! I agree with several PPs that breastmilk is absolutely the best thing. When we need to rehydrate someone around here, we use Smart Water. It has electrolytes, but has no flavor and tastes only like water. We sometimes make ginger tea with it for pukey kids. The reason I mention it is, your babe might accept it in a dropper, a little at a time, where she'd scream if you moved her from the breast after a short time. Might help, can't hurt.

Oh, and if she's vomiting immediately after she stops nursing but she's been nursing for awhile, remember that she's had several minutes (or however long she's been at the breast) to digest and absorb the milk she took in right at first, so it's definitely not a waste to just let her nurse and puke, nurse and puke, unpleasant though that may be. (Well, OK, so this was always my personal assessment of this particular situation when my kids were little; maybe I made it all up!) At least BM won't burn up her thoat!

Does she still have tears when she cries?

computergeek2.gif

#16 of 23 Old 10-30-2006, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think my dd has this same virus. She is over 3 and had been refusing to nurse for 4 days straight with the pukes. We're on day 7, btw. Pedialyte has artificial colors and sweeteners, btw. We have popsicles in the freezer of the grape crap right now, though, since no one could make it to the HFS. You're trying to replenish her electrolytes (potassium/sodium balance). So, Smart water and Recharge are great ideas. Ice chips from Smart water (or homemade smart water with concentrace minerals and extra potassium, hmm). The electrolytes get lost in the diarheaa/dehydration circle. This illness has been very scary for us, and would have led to hospitialization in a formula fed, less nutritionally sound toddler, I'm certain. Try some aconite and 'smart ice' chips. My dd kept down some bifidus powder before the BM, btw.
#17 of 23 Old 10-30-2006, 07:11 PM

hope the little ones feel better soon
#18 of 23 Old 10-30-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Have you ever tasted Pedialyte? YUCK.

For a kid who is weaned, they do make adult oral rehydration solutions which taste even worse than Pedialyte, but I think they leave out all the "kid-friendly" artificial coloring at least. What I do for my own self when I need something of the sort is to make a salty broth (I use bouillon cubes, but of course it's better to make your own broth and add salt-- maybe there are organic bouillon cubes, what do I know) and mix in rice. Like half a cup of cooked rice with a cup of broth, that ratio.
In the absence of breastmilk, broth is a good one! Just make sure it's not too greasy.

Pedialyte is pretty bad stuff, but it works wonders for a dehydrated child. My dd2 has had her share of vomiting bugs. The pedialyte really perks her up fast and helps her to heal faster. They make an apple flavored one that doesn't have the dyes and it actually tastes pretty good.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#19 of 23 Old 10-30-2006, 07:22 PM

I use smartwater. It is just bottled water with added electrolytes, and it tastes just like water.

I hope you two are feeling better soon!
#20 of 23 Old 10-30-2006, 08:26 PM

when i was a child, my pediatrician recommended just a teaspoon of pedialyte. i have had it recommended to me as an adult, sometimes it has worked and sometimes it made the vomiting worse. but perhaps that was because i was gulping it. my intern says it's awful and can cause more vomiting, whereas my gi says it's great and the vomiting won't stop until the dehydration is cured. so maybe my small town ped had the best (most moderate) advice after all.
#21 of 23 Old 10-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Banned

I agree BM is best.

Whatever you are using, keep your eye on that dehydration...they can go downhill so fast. As long as she keeps nursing/drinking whatever you should be okay..Just watch for those signs of lethargy, dry eyes, etc.

My son has some sort of virus right now but it's diarrhea only. He's 3 and drank gobs of Gatorade, but I water it down, add a splash of juice, lots of ice, and a drop or two of Stevia, which makes it taste better to him. Sometimes I use Pedialyte, too, the type without dye is great as one pp mentioned.

I think the main thing is to stay away from stuff that is too acidic or has too much fructose, like straight apple or cherry juice, which can make diarrhea worse. If I give juice it is well watered down.

My DD might be coming down with it, and she's only 18 mos. old. I can deal with all the poop...I'm just so worried she's gonna get it worse than he did. He never really acted sick, just had the runs.

Hope your little one is better soon, and you too, mama!
#22 of 23 Old 10-31-2006, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone! we are improving today...
the smart water and smart water ice chips are great ideas.
and i hear what some of you are saying about drinking bm and puking is better than not drinking bm. all of this puking and diarrhea just makes me so nervous...
the ginger tea in a dropper is a great idea too...
#23 of 23 Old 10-31-2006, 06:53 AM

i agree that breastmilk is the best thing.

and my doctor has given me one (yes just one, but one nonetheless,) useful piece of advice, and that is this version of a rehydration drink. it doesn't taste too bad either, good enough that my dd would actually drink it. my doc is from south africa, and when he was practicing there, this is what they always used.

1 litre of water
8 tsp of sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
juice of one fresh orange (pasteurized orange juice is not as good for this, as it is missing enzymes and such, make sure it is fresh.)

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

User Tag List