Healing the Gut Tribe - November! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#361 of 484 Old 11-18-2006, 07:24 PM
 
Chinese Pistache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Under a shady tree, you and me
Posts: 6,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I didn't. I wanted one thing and got talked into another. The main strain I wanted was the B. infantis but Harry wasn't comfortable that the infantis strain was as dairy free as the B. bifidus strain. They are all technically dairy free, but when I explained how severe Emrys' reaction is he said that he didn't want to attempt it. I went with his rec's based on our situation.
UAS makes a supposedly corn and dairy free acidophilus/bifidus probiotic. It contains FOS, though, so I guess it's not SCD legal.
Chinese Pistache is offline  
#362 of 484 Old 11-18-2006, 07:56 PM
 
Kundalini-Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LOVING LIFE and oh, so thankful!!!
Posts: 2,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

You all were my home for months & I wanted to post an update on us

Lots of love to you all,
Amy

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=561678
Kundalini-Mama is offline  
#363 of 484 Old 11-18-2006, 08:17 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama View Post
Hi mamas,

You all were my home for months & I wanted to post an update on us

Lots of love to you all,
Amy

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=561678
I've been thinking about you!
Annikate is offline  
#364 of 484 Old 11-18-2006, 10:10 PM
 
Panserbjorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Great North
Posts: 12,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've missed you!
Panserbjorne is offline  
#365 of 484 Old 11-19-2006, 05:38 PM
 
Punchy Kaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Your ds is a doll!

His eczema looks just like my dd's on her knees, and I know that the lacy appearance of it is due to yeast (did you see Birthjunkie's photos of her dd in the Threelac thread? Seems similar to me). You might try gentian violet or something on his cheeks to see if it improves. Also, if he's sleeping on his tummy, the sheets on the bed could be reinfecting him. I used to have dd sleep in the same pjs a couple nights in a row, but now that I change them daily, her yeast is better, too (we're also doing Threelac).
Thank you, I do not change his sheets everyday, I do change his pj''s. He is a tummy sleeper so this may be important. He also has a blankie /soother that he sleeps with. I will try the gentian violet again. I will also disinfect all his bottles, nipples, and my pump parts too.

We create our own reality.
Punchy Kaby is offline  
#366 of 484 Old 11-19-2006, 09:24 PM
 
Punchy Kaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalini-Mama View Post
Hi mamas,

You all were my home for months & I wanted to post an update on us

Lots of love to you all,
Amy

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=561678
Your update made me cry! I have been praying for you and your family. All the best to you

We create our own reality.
Punchy Kaby is offline  
#367 of 484 Old 11-20-2006, 02:55 AM
 
Pookietooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
to you Kundalini-mama. Glad to hear from you, and that you had good news about ds.

I know there is at least one WAHM here who does SCD. How do you do it? Do you cook a bunch on weekends and then freeze it all? Do you have menus, use a crock pot religiously? I am so disorganized, I feel like I should be able to cook meals without it taking up all my time, but it seems like it does. I was thinking of taking a part-time job, just weekends, to give me some structure, if that makes sense. I'm so scattered. I don't know if it's the depression, or some other mental thing. I am pretty sure I have ADD, although when I tried meds for it they just made me angry.
I would love someone to keep me organized, but at the same time I know I would probably resist a lot of their efforts because I am such a rebel. Silly, huh?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Pookietooth is offline  
#368 of 484 Old 11-20-2006, 01:06 PM
 
Punchy Kaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
to you Kundalini-mama. Glad to hear from you, and that you had good news about ds.

I know there is at least one WAHM here who does SCD. How do you do it? Do you cook a bunch on weekends and then freeze it all? Do you have menus, use a crock pot religiously? I am so disorganized, I feel like I should be able to cook meals without it taking up all my time, but it seems like it does. I was thinking of taking a part-time job, just weekends, to give me some structure, if that makes sense. I'm so scattered. I don't know if it's the depression, or some other mental thing. I am pretty sure I have ADD, although when I tried meds for it they just made me angry.
I would love someone to keep me organized, but at the same time I know I would probably resist a lot of their efforts because I am such a rebel. Silly, huh?
I work almost full time and am on SCD. It is challenging. I feel like I am in the kitchen all the time. I try to do the majority of my cooking at night after DS goes to bed at 7:30 so that the next day all I have to do is heat up food. Here is a thread that has helped me get more organized:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=390670
I am still trying to figure out how to cook more in large quantities and freeze. I find that making the fermented foods and the kombucha are the things that take me the most extra time. And then there is the mess to clean up after the cooking...
Sorry I am not much help.

We create our own reality.
Punchy Kaby is offline  
#369 of 484 Old 11-20-2006, 01:40 PM
 
AngelaVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I hope you have room for one more. I am taking digestive enzymes and probiotics to help my nursing DD with blood in her stools. It has been helping, I have been taking it for three weeks and she hasn't had any blood in her stools for two weeks. I am, however, having some sharp little pains in my stomach (nothing terrible, just mildly annoying) and very frequent bowel movements - about three times a day (sorry-tmi) but not diarhea. Also, if I don't eat every few hours I get really shakey, like I have low blood sugar or something. I thought maybe this was a sign I was taking too much, but when I cut back for a day, DD's had a little blood in one of her stools. Do I need to adjust my supplements or give my body more time to adjust to them?

P.S. Supplements are: GNC multi enzyme formula, 1 capsul at every meal and kyodopholis capsule with 1.5 billion cells twice a day
AngelaVA is offline  
#370 of 484 Old 11-20-2006, 01:53 PM
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
I know there is at least one WAHM here who does SCD. How do you do it? Do you cook a bunch on weekends and then freeze it all? Do you have menus, use a crock pot religiously? I am so disorganized, I feel like I should be able to cook meals without it taking up all my time, but it seems like it does. I was thinking of taking a part-time job, just weekends, to give me some structure, if that makes sense. I'm so scattered. I don't know if it's the depression, or some other mental thing. I am pretty sure I have ADD, although when I tried meds for it they just made me angry.
I would love someone to keep me organized, but at the same time I know I would probably resist a lot of their efforts because I am such a rebel. Silly, huh?
i'm not doing SCD but we aren't exactly eating junk either. in fact, probably most of the things we eat would be considered SCD legal. who needs a starchy potato/rice at every meal anyway? just 1 less pot for dh to clean...

what i do is plan out every meal and commit it to paper. then i also make a list of when to do what things. so if i want to soak nuts, i have that listed as an evening task with the next day's task being "dry nuts".

i sit down either friday night or sat afternoon (during ds's nap) and make a menu plan for the week. while i'm doing that, i construct my grocery list (i try to buy most things locally and build around what is available) - we only stop at 2 stores usually - the butcher shop and the food coop. after ds's nap, we make our weekly grocery run.

i've been baking for the past few weeks to make sure that we have good snacky things at the ILs over the rest of this week. i included that activity on the weekly chart (and grocery list) as well and do it in the evening after ds is in bed - though in my case that is more like 9pm on a good night.

dh and i go home at lunchtime so i manage to squeeze in a few tasks then.

dh's responsibility is to clean the kitchen after dinner. we got into this habit early on in our togetherness - she who makes meals doesn't have to clean up. though i try really hard to make cleanup as easy as possible (queen of the one-pot meal). we grill A LOT on the BBQ, so ds gets to help dh with that - though not so much now that the weather is crappy. when i bake in the evening, i clean up as i go along so that the kitchen isn't a huge disaster in the morning (my pet peeve is going down to a messy kitchen first thing in the morning).

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
#371 of 484 Old 11-20-2006, 02:19 PM
 
LovinLiviLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: dreaming of a day when . . .
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
to you Kundalini-mama. Glad to hear from you, and that you had good news about ds.

I know there is at least one WAHM here who does SCD. How do you do it? Do you cook a bunch on weekends and then freeze it all? Do you have menus, use a crock pot religiously? I am so disorganized, I feel like I should be able to cook meals without it taking up all my time, but it seems like it does. I was thinking of taking a part-time job, just weekends, to give me some structure, if that makes sense. I'm so scattered. I don't know if it's the depression, or some other mental thing. I am pretty sure I have ADD, although when I tried meds for it they just made me angry.
I would love someone to keep me organized, but at the same time I know I would probably resist a lot of their efforts because I am such a rebel. Silly, huh?
I'm a wohm (50+ hours usually) and dh is now working outside the home, too (he stayed home with our first). It is very hard. Very hard. But, like bluets, I put everything down on paper. I have a matrix that I print out for every week that has everything about our life on it: who is taking care of the kids that day (we have different folks on diff days), who is taking dd to school, what is going in her lunch box, what time everyone is going to work and will be home by, what's for dinner, what the prep needs to be that night after kids are in bed for the next day. I then create a grocery list to go with that week, with designations for what needs to be picked up at the farmer's market vs. whole foods. I now have 4 weeks worth of meal plans and corresponding grocery lists, and am going to start rotating them. My next challenge is to combine two weeks worth and reduce my number of trips to the store and farmer's market (right now I'm doing both every week, with other errands, too, and it is out of control).

The really hard thing for me has been that I am on such a limited SCD diet due to the little one's food intolerances and the fact that I must introduce things really slowly. Mix that with my dh, who while supportive, needs more food than what I can eat in order to stay sane. So, while I don't quite double plan, I do plan in such a way that he and dd #1 can still eat healthy, but have more variety than just what I can eat. He does a lot of cooking and cleaning, but I'm in charge of the planning, and that takes a lot of time right now.

I use the crockpot a lot, and on the weekends I cook, cook, cook. That's when I make my yogurt (for dh and dd#1 - no dairy for me ), broth and soak nuts. I also try to make a few batches of things that I can freeze in indiv portions (soup, nut muffins, cooked fruit compote, etc). We have a big chest freezer, and there is no way I could do SCD without it. This weekend I made a double batch of SCD chicken soup that filled up 5 quart mason jars, so that should last me a while! I try to double everything - even chickens. This weekend I roasted one for dinner and soup, the other I did in the crockpot, froze all the meat, and then used the bones for crockpot stock.

I have seriously contemplated trying to find someone whom I could pay to make some things for me (especially the basics). But I haven't had the time to think through how I would want to do it and search someone out.

I can honestly say that while we're better off eating like this, the stress of it all is high for me (and is taking a toll - my next mission is to figure out how to find time to do yoga to destress from it!) But as the learning curve evens out a bit, I'm feeling a bit more competent and things will get easier and better, I'm sure. I often wish some of you all were around here in real life - wouldn't it be awesome to be able to do some food swaps!
LovinLiviLou is offline  
#372 of 484 Old 11-20-2006, 03:04 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
Hi everyone! I hope you have room for one more. I am taking digestive enzymes and probiotics to help my nursing DD with blood in her stools. It has been helping, I have been taking it for three weeks and she hasn't had any blood in her stools for two weeks. I am, however, having some sharp little pains in my stomach (nothing terrible, just mildly annoying) and very frequent bowel movements - about three times a day (sorry-tmi) but not diarhea. Also, if I don't eat every few hours I get really shakey, like I have low blood sugar or something. I thought maybe this was a sign I was taking too much, but when I cut back for a day, DD's had a little blood in one of her stools. Do I need to adjust my supplements or give my body more time to adjust to them?

P.S. Supplements are: GNC multi enzyme formula, 1 capsul at every meal and kyodopholis capsule with 1.5 billion cells twice a day
Welcome!
I know there is at least one mama on here dealing w/the same issues in her dc. Hopefully, they'll chime in.

If your stools are not d. perhaps then, this is a *normal* pattern for you? I think *normal* can fall into the range of 1 - 3 x per day.
Annikate is offline  
#373 of 484 Old 11-20-2006, 03:05 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
i've been baking for the past few weeks to make sure that we have good snacky things at the ILs over the rest of this week. i included that activity on the weekly chart (and grocery list) as well and do it in the evening after ds is in bed - though in my case that is more like 9pm on a good night.

dh and i go home at lunchtime so i manage to squeeze in a few tasks then.

dh's responsibility is to clean the kitchen after dinner. we got into this habit early on in our togetherness - she who makes meals doesn't have to clean up. though i try really hard to make cleanup as easy as possible (queen of the one-pot meal). we grill A LOT on the BBQ, so ds gets to help dh with that - though not so much now that the weather is crappy. when i bake in the evening, i clean up as i go along so that the kitchen isn't a huge disaster in the morning (my pet peeve is going down to a messy kitchen first thing in the morning).
I am also baking for the trip. And my BIGGEST pet peeve is waking up to dirty dishes too. :irk It makes my day start off sucky.
Annikate is offline  
#374 of 484 Old 11-20-2006, 03:09 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
I'm a wohm (50+ hours usually) and dh is now working outside the home, too (he stayed home with our first). It is very hard. Very hard. But, like bluets, I put everything down on paper. I have a matrix that I print out for every week that has everything about our life on it: who is taking care of the kids that day (we have different folks on diff days), who is taking dd to school, what is going in her lunch box, what time everyone is going to work and will be home by, what's for dinner, what the prep needs to be that night after kids are in bed for the next day. I then create a grocery list to go with that week, with designations for what needs to be picked up at the farmer's market vs. whole foods. I now have 4 weeks worth of meal plans and corresponding grocery lists, and am going to start rotating them. My next challenge is to combine two weeks worth and reduce my number of trips to the store and farmer's market (right now I'm doing both every week, with other errands, too, and it is out of control).

The really hard thing for me has been that I am on such a limited SCD diet due to the little one's food intolerances and the fact that I must introduce things really slowly. Mix that with my dh, who while supportive, needs more food than what I can eat in order to stay sane. So, while I don't quite double plan, I do plan in such a way that he and dd #1 can still eat healthy, but have more variety than just what I can eat. He does a lot of cooking and cleaning, but I'm in charge of the planning, and that takes a lot of time right now.

I use the crockpot a lot, and on the weekends I cook, cook, cook. That's when I make my yogurt (for dh and dd#1 - no dairy for me ), broth and soak nuts. I also try to make a few batches of things that I can freeze in indiv portions (soup, nut muffins, cooked fruit compote, etc). We have a big chest freezer, and there is no way I could do SCD without it. This weekend I made a double batch of SCD chicken soup that filled up 5 quart mason jars, so that should last me a while! I try to double everything - even chickens. This weekend I roasted one for dinner and soup, the other I did in the crockpot, froze all the meat, and then used the bones for crockpot stock.

I have seriously contemplated trying to find someone whom I could pay to make some things for me (especially the basics). But I haven't had the time to think through how I would want to do it and search someone out.

I can honestly say that while we're better off eating like this, the stress of it all is high for me (and is taking a toll - my next mission is to figure out how to find time to do yoga to destress from it!) But as the learning curve evens out a bit, I'm feeling a bit more competent and things will get easier and better, I'm sure. I often wish some of you all were around here in real life - wouldn't it be awesome to be able to do some food swaps!
You organized mamas who can write everything down and plan inspire me. I WISH I could do this.

I hear ya about the cooking, cooking, cooking. I freak out if one of my dds asks for something that I haven't cooked. (Like biscuits or crackers.) It totally takes major preparation and TIME TIME TIME. It's very stressful.

I love the crockpot but I find myself making the same thing over and over again. I need some new ideas. Maybe we should start an SCD crockpot thread. . .
Annikate is offline  
#375 of 484 Old 11-20-2006, 05:10 PM
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
You organized mamas who can write everything down and plan inspire me. I WISH I could do this.

I hear ya about the cooking, cooking, cooking. I freak out if one of my dds asks for something that I haven't cooked. (Like biscuits or crackers.) It totally takes major preparation and TIME TIME TIME. It's very stressful.

I love the crockpot but I find myself making the same thing over and over again. I need some new ideas. Maybe we should start an SCD crockpot thread. . .
crackers - can you use the cracker brand "Mary's Gone Crackers" ? it's GFCF - mostly seeds, maybe rice? they have a website (probably something like marysgonecrackers.com, if i recall correctly). i don't buy much in the way of prepared foods, but snack food is where i will cross the line - these crackers are a bit crunchier than ds can handle now. we also get nairn's oatcakes - organic rolled oats, palm kernel oil and sea salt. taste like sawdust but ds will eat them as an occasional snack. we occasionally get Newman's Own Organic Fig Newtons - the wheatfree dairyfree brand. the best snacks are the fruit bars i found at everydayfruit.com - ds LOVES LOVES LOVES the frunola bar and the real berry and real green bars. i loved the Think Organic bars (GFCF too!). in a weak moment, i'll also get the Newmans Own Organic Alphabet cookies. sometimes we get rice crackers and Blue Diamond Pecan/Rice crackers - they have butter and some pecan flavor but ds only gets 2 in a sitting and he doesn't seem to want more than that nor does he react. they aren't organic but they are a handy snack. when i get my dehydrator and a little more time in the evening, i might start doing raw cookies for home. the problem is daycare - nutfree on top of our own restrictions - they prefer packaged things (hence my almost expert knowledge on NT-friendlier commercial snack food).

i hate my crockpot. the only thing i seem to have success with is the NT recipe for unsoaked rice - i just dump everything in (to heck with a recipe) and get it started on low at lunchtime. even then, it still burns stuff. i have intermittent success with beans. but anything else just gives either dried up burnt stuff or overcooked mushy meat and veggies. blech. i'd much rather just slap a burger on the grill and call it done. (so part of my tasklist includes when i need to take meat out of the freezer).

it does help that dh would rather just have meat and a veggie at mealtime. and that usually suits ds too. i'm the one who wants a little more variety so any stress i feel is my own durn fault.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
#376 of 484 Old 11-20-2006, 05:14 PM
 
bluets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 3,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
I have seriously contemplated trying to find someone whom I could pay to make some things for me (especially the basics). But I haven't had the time to think through how I would want to do it and search someone out.
do they still have home ec./family studies in high school? could you get help from a high school student? you'd have to provide training on how to prepare the stuff, but then after that maybe you could work it out so that a student could maybe get credit for helping you with meals. or what about a community college in the area? that might be an even better source for students needing jobs.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

bluets is offline  
#377 of 484 Old 11-20-2006, 08:23 PM
 
Punchy Kaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lovinlivilou & bluets-you are inspiring with your organized cooking. I hope one day to get to where you are! Especially with the whole schedule worked into the food. LLL- do you do your schedule on a spreadsheet?

We have a major flair up of yeast again , of course I broke down and had some sugar treats, but not many. I am back at the garlic and candex hardcore. I am thinking of trying either the Threelac or the Can Albex. Any thoughts on these? I saw the whole 'plan' on the website for can albex, has anyone here done it?

By the way, I did an experiment: I added a few tablespoons of water kefir to my ginger carrots and they were horrible, had to throw the whole batch out.

We create our own reality.
Punchy Kaby is offline  
#378 of 484 Old 11-20-2006, 09:14 PM
 
krissi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I am back at the garlic and candex hardcore. I am thinking of trying either the Threelac or the Can Albex. Any thoughts on these? I saw the whole 'plan' on the website for can albex, has anyone here done it?
I'm not familiar with the plan on the website, but DD used Can Albex and I think it helped. Our DAN ped had given us one bottle of the 30X and said to give her three drops three times a day. She used to have yeast flareups every time we stopped the diflucan and lately has been off diflucan for two or three months with no flareup. We have just now run out of Can Albex and the ped said to discontinue it and see what happens. But it is hard for me to say what role the Can Albex played, exactly. It may have been the key or the yeast may have been brought under control by other factors. She also gets Candex twice a day for maintenance and follows SCD for the most part (just a few illegal supplements that her doc and I have decided are worth the illegal ingredients, such as the six strain blend of Custom Probiotics).
krissi is offline  
#379 of 484 Old 11-21-2006, 12:00 AM
 
Chinese Pistache's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Under a shady tree, you and me
Posts: 6,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Lovinlivilou & bluets-you are inspiring with your organized cooking. I hope one day to get to where you are! Especially with the whole schedule worked into the food. LLL- do you do your schedule on a spreadsheet?

We have a major flair up of yeast again , of course I broke down and had some sugar treats, but not many. I am back at the garlic and candex hardcore. I am thinking of trying either the Threelac or the Can Albex. Any thoughts on these? I saw the whole 'plan' on the website for can albex, has anyone here done it?

By the way, I did an experiment: I added a few tablespoons of water kefir to my ginger carrots and they were horrible, had to throw the whole batch out.
Have you had allergy testing done? I was so shocked to learn that dd was allergic to corn. I knew about dairy but corn was so unexpected. Anyway, I haven't given Threelac in several days because I need to call the company and make sure there are no corn derivatives in it, but since dd's eczema is clearing up so rapidly, she hasn't had anymore attacks of yeast rash (it would always take hold when her eczema flared and the skin was broken). So, if you haven't already, it might be worth it to find out about any sensitivities. That information doesn't help everyone, but it seems to be helping us.
Chinese Pistache is offline  
#380 of 484 Old 11-21-2006, 01:51 AM
 
Punchy Kaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Have you had allergy testing done? I was so shocked to learn that dd was allergic to corn. I knew about dairy but corn was so unexpected. Anyway, I haven't given Threelac in several days because I need to call the company and make sure there are no corn derivatives in it, but since dd's eczema is clearing up so rapidly, she hasn't had anymore attacks of yeast rash (it would always take hold when her eczema flared and the skin was broken). So, if you haven't already, it might be worth it to find out about any sensitivities. That information doesn't help everyone, but it seems to be helping us.
I have an appt. with the allergist for dec 18th. I know we are dealing with some food allergies. I am on SCD and since I have been on it his rash has gotten worse. A few times it has almost cleared up, but only for a day or two. I am avoiding all the most common food allergens, I am pretty careful with my supplements and their ingredients, but there could be a trace amount of something that he is allergic to. I keep pouring over my food diary to find the culprit, or conversely the things that helped it clear up. Right now I am pretty sure we are dealing with yeast, he is fidgety (with his fingers), is biting everything and I don't believe it to be teeth related.

Did you just start Threelac? I have been following a recent thread about it but have not read many past threads yet.

We create our own reality.
Punchy Kaby is offline  
#381 of 484 Old 11-21-2006, 11:56 AM
 
LovinLiviLou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: dreaming of a day when . . .
Posts: 477
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Lovinlivilou & bluets-you are inspiring with your organized cooking. I hope one day to get to where you are! Especially with the whole schedule worked into the food. LLL- do you do your schedule on a spreadsheet?

We have a major flair up of yeast again , of course I broke down and had some sugar treats, but not many. I am back at the garlic and candex hardcore. I am thinking of trying either the Threelac or the Can Albex. Any thoughts on these? I saw the whole 'plan' on the website for can albex, has anyone here done it?

By the way, I did an experiment: I added a few tablespoons of water kefir to my ginger carrots and they were horrible, had to throw the whole batch out.
Nolunsmum - Sorry you're in flair up mode again . Yeah - I do it on a spreadhseet layout in excel. I have it so that one page prints for the schedule and a second for the grocery list. I try to get it done by Thurs of the week before, email it to dh for him to make sure I haven't missed anything about schedules, and then it's done. It is my bible these days. I'm not very flexible when under stress, so don't come messing with my matrix/schedule! .

I think I'm going to start Zeolite after Thanksgiving. From what I've read, it looks like it either helps you or doesn't, but that you know pretty soon, and I haven't seen much in the way of bad effects. Anyone know how much chepaer it is through a distributor than online?

I've also figured out that cinnamon is causing the little one to yak. It doesn't look like it did at first (looking back over my food journals), so I'm wondering if I created this problem by eating it too much. So now it's a moving target that I'm chasing - just because it was too easy before!
LovinLiviLou is offline  
#382 of 484 Old 11-21-2006, 12:54 PM
 
Pattyla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi gut buddies.

I got to spend last night in the ER. My chiro and my Dr were convinced I had a femoral Hernia. I was in an extreme ammount of pain. They wanted to do a CT scan and have me drink radioactive stuff. I talked them out of that since it would have meant temoprary weaning for 3 days till I wasn' radioactive any more.

Anyhow, the other tests didn't indicate that the hernia was likely so they think I probably have a badly sprained or torn muscle. Anyone know anything I can do diet wise to help that heal?

Thanks

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Pattyla is offline  
#383 of 484 Old 11-21-2006, 01:58 PM
 
mamajaillet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: oregon
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello mamas!! I posted here a couple of times last month, and have been trying to keep up. I don't have much computer time. I have learned so much here though, and it amazes me how much information mothers can amass as they work to heal themselves and their babes. My hubby half jokes that I know more or as much at least as our ND, so why bother going

Anyways, I had a question for you all. I have seen reference to this a couple of times, something about finger sucking and yeast. I feel like we have some signs of yeast, but never have had any of the major ones like thrush or diaper rash or yeast infection for myself, nor coated white tongue. my ds1 though, is hyper sensitive to concentrated sweets, not sugar because we don't have that, but sweet fruits, cereal, honey, dried fruit, etc., craves this stuff like crazy, and has to have fingers in his mouth all the time (he's 5, and never sucked is thumb or anything). I just have itchy eyebrows, eyelashes, face with no rash. I just don't know what to thing about yeast. I haven't been able to find a reference to the finger sucking anywhere else, could any of you fill me in?
mamajaillet is offline  
#384 of 484 Old 11-21-2006, 06:06 PM
 
caedmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Annikate--what are the NCD (I might not have the initials right) drops that you referred to that helped your DD #1?

AngelaVA--my DD had blood in her stools for quite a while. We're out of town right now and I'm at the library, but either PM me or remind me after Thanksgiving and I will tell you what seemed to help her.

saskiasmom--as far as I can tell, certain strains of probiotics do colonize the gut while other strains (such as the ones in Threelac) will help you but they don't colonize you so either need to keep taking them or concurrently take some strains that do colonize. I've been reading "Bacteria for Breakfast", the book that JaneS recommended, and it is saying most people need really large doses of multiple strains to recolonize/change their gut flora (like in the 100 billions). I read that 16 oz of kefir can have up to 5 TRILLION good bacteria, so I really think that is the best probiotic (I'm assuming water kefirs have similar number, considering what they did to me!).

Have you considered that maybe you have bacteria overgrowth and/or parasites along with your yeast issues? If you do that might explain why you have not been able to lick your yeast. Also, I believe low stomach acid primarily affects digestions of fats and protein, so if you went from a low-fat diet to a high-fat one that might explain why you suddenly started having problems with GERD.
caedmyn is offline  
#385 of 484 Old 11-21-2006, 06:37 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Annikate--what are the NCD (I might not have the initials right) drops that you referred to that helped your DD #1?
NCD=Natural Cellular Defense.

It's also called zeolite and there's a thread about it in vaccinations. (I think it's there.) If you can't find it lmk and I'll link it for you.
Annikate is offline  
#386 of 484 Old 11-22-2006, 12:21 AM
 
Punchy Kaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajaillet View Post
Anyways, I had a question for you all. I have seen reference to this a couple of times, something about finger sucking and yeast. I feel like we have some signs of yeast, but never have had any of the major ones like thrush or diaper rash or yeast infection for myself, nor coated white tongue. my ds1 though, is hyper sensitive to concentrated sweets, not sugar because we don't have that, but sweet fruits, cereal, honey, dried fruit, etc., craves this stuff like crazy, and has to have fingers in his mouth all the time (he's 5, and never sucked is thumb or anything). I just have itchy eyebrows, eyelashes, face with no rash. I just don't know what to thing about yeast. I haven't been able to find a reference to the finger sucking anywhere else, could any of you fill me in?
Chewing on things is a sign of yeast, I think it is because the mouth is itchy, but don't quote me on that. Other than this current flair up I didn't have any 'outward' symptoms of yeast. And neither one of us has a white tongue.

I also think that I had not been letting my water kefir brew long enough and there was still sugar in it, enough to help the yeast take off and then the stress of leaving DS for a few days, and having some sweets did us in.

We create our own reality.
Punchy Kaby is offline  
#387 of 484 Old 11-22-2006, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
 
chasmyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Posts: 2,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, Mamas, I need help. DS, 15 months, doesn't poop more than once a week. I've tried magnesium, vitamin C, Natren Life Start, and most recently a combo of Natren Bifido Factor and Baby Life Bifodobacteria Infantis Powder.

The problem is getting these things into him - he doesn't eat much of anything, so I'll put it in a bit of juice or a smoothie or whatever and he'll only drink a little bit, no matter how little liquid I have it in. Because we are nursing, I'll ingest what he doesn't, hoping he gets it in my milk.

I have a feeling that it isn't constipation so much as he has had some trauma somewhere and is holding it - possibly right from when he started solids, as he has been this way ever since then. The only thing that has worked is Senna or Glycerin suppositories, and I really don't want to make a habit of either of those, as I feel they add to the trauma factor for him.

How bad a Mama would I be if, on our usually all organic, no sugar, SCDish diet...if I gave him some of those low carb chocolates? They have maltitol and it can have a laxative effect. I just don't know what else to do - I feel like I've tried everything natural and I just want him to poop already. I don;t know who to take him to practitioner-wise that could help him, either - if it's trauma around pooping as I suspect, how can we make a difference with that? Who might be able to help him recover from that and poop daily like he did before he started solids?

Please please please help if you can...:

Oh, I forgot to add that the probiotics we're doing now have done nothing for him, but they're firming up my poop quite nicely, as my issue has been looseness....
chasmyn is offline  
#388 of 484 Old 11-22-2006, 12:30 AM
 
Punchy Kaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Here there and everywhere
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can I put probiotic powder in kefir? I'm assuming it will have a chance to multiply and have greater numbers than taking the pill alone.

I know I have asked this before-
For gut healing purposes how much zinc is good to take each day? What about selenium?

We create our own reality.
Punchy Kaby is offline  
#389 of 484 Old 11-22-2006, 11:34 AM
 
sparkletruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NM
Posts: 2,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nolansmum - Ive read that the range for selenium is 200-600mg/day. I take 200. Zinc; I think I remember reading no more than 80. I take 50mg/day, but wonder if that's too much. I think ff takes 30mg/day. Zinc and copper balance eachother, and there is some speculation about having too much copper and having yeast, so it would seem that if you took more zinc, you'd have less copper? But honestly, I dont get down to that level in calculating my protocal :

Cademyn - I have considered that diet could be causing it. That's what Dh suspects. My digestion seems to be getting worse. At this point, I suspect stress as much as anything. I dont know how you mamas do this without succumbing to stress! As for colonizing pro-b's, it seems top me that most ingested ones do not colonize permanently. When articles talk about colonizing, they mean that there are still some pro-b's in feces up to 3 wks after ingestion but then the numbers go back to normal. It takes many years to slowly shift the balance, as it is very hard for ingested ones to outcompete, and to have all the requirements (space, food) needed to stick. It sounds like some kind of food with the prob's is needed to help them double fast enough to have a chance of permanent colonization. So it would seem that once the yeast is in balance, you would continue pretty aggressive probiotic supplementation for a long time, if not forever.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
sparkletruck is offline  
#390 of 484 Old 11-22-2006, 12:23 PM
 
Annikate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 4,891
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
Okay, Mamas, I need help. DS, 15 months, doesn't poop more than once a week. I've tried magnesium, vitamin C, Natren Life Start, and most recently a combo of Natren Bifido Factor and Baby Life Bifodobacteria Infantis Powder.

The problem is getting these things into him - he doesn't eat much of anything, so I'll put it in a bit of juice or a smoothie or whatever and he'll only drink a little bit, no matter how little liquid I have it in. Because we are nursing, I'll ingest what he doesn't, hoping he gets it in my milk.

I have a feeling that it isn't constipation so much as he has had some trauma somewhere and is holding it - possibly right from when he started solids, as he has been this way ever since then. The only thing that has worked is Senna or Glycerin suppositories, and I really don't want to make a habit of either of those, as I feel they add to the trauma factor for him.

How bad a Mama would I be if, on our usually all organic, no sugar, SCDish diet...if I gave him some of those low carb chocolates? They have maltitol and it can have a laxative effect. I just don't know what else to do - I feel like I've tried everything natural and I just want him to poop already. I don;t know who to take him to practitioner-wise that could help him, either - if it's trauma around pooping as I suspect, how can we make a difference with that? Who might be able to help him recover from that and poop daily like he did before he started solids?

Please please please help if you can...:

Oh, I forgot to add that the probiotics we're doing now have done nothing for him, but they're firming up my poop quite nicely, as my issue has been looseness....
I think dd1's constipation issue was related to trauma too. Poor thing, we went the stupid route and had the ped prescribe a stool softener for her and had her on that for longer than I want to admit.

Sorry your little guy is going through it!

I'm sure you tried this but you didn't mention it so I'll throw it out there. . . .
prune juice? I used to cook up some organic prunes for dd and let her drink the juice. This helped a lot.

I don't know, I'd be reluctant to try the chocolate, but that's just me. Hey, anything to get him poopying! (Does he seem like he's in pain?)
Annikate is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off