Healing the Gut Tribe - November! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 484 Old 11-27-2006, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Does anyone have any experience with teething or tiredness making eczema worse? DD seems to have flare-ups that are totally unrelated to food. One day she was fine when she woke up but an hour later she was ready for a nap and her cheeks were getting red. They were better after her nap but then we were out shopping all day and she didn't sleep again for about 8 hours and her poor cheeks kept getting redder and redder and redder. Then they looked better after she slept again. They seem to get better or worse throughout the day regardless of what I eat. They definitely do tend to look worse when she is tired. And she must be teething again as she has drool pouring from her constantly, so I wonder if that is making things worse.
I would think so. Being tired and teething both can result in lowered immunity, and if the immune system is already taxed by allergies, it stands to reason, imo.
#422 of 484 Old 11-27-2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
My symptoms are sore throat the first few days and then itchy vagina. I have been really thirsty too. Sometimes I get a rumbly tummy right after I drink it. He is irritable, fidgety/stimming, rashy. His symptoms were very sudden at about the 3rd day of kefir. I will try cutting all the fermented foods out.

I am taking Candex, I have been taking it for about 6 weeks, I started it when I restarted the diet and DS's rash was significantly better. I take it 3x a day now, maybe i will back off on that too. I don't give it to ds, although I put a tiny bit of digest gold in his solid foods when he eats. How much do you give your DD and how do you get it into her? By the way, here is a cheaper candex http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Candida-...nagement/cas-1

I am still reading about the different yeast killers and so far I don't feel comfortable taking any of them. The article I posted above from MOthering magazine suggested goldenseal, but I found enough info that said not to and that it could have an affect on milk supply.

OT: I am so proud, DS's first word was 'num-num' It is our word for nursing.
A rumbly stomach is definitely die-off for me--I get it when I take a lot of vitamin C, or too much kefir, or sometimes when I eat raw garlic. I did notice that I got a little itchier after I started the kefirs. I don't really know why, but I have read that itchiness is the last symptom to go. The extra itchy-ness seems to have subsided now, in spite of all the cheating I've been doing and the 3 or so times in the last couple of weeks that I've eaten a ton of Rapadura (cookies, must have cookies

I've been giving DD 1/2 capsule of Candex 2x/day. I just open the capsule and put half of it on a spoon and then dip my finger into it. She eats it just like she does her probiotics. I tasted it first and it doesn't really have a taste (unlike the Digest Gold which taste pretty nasty IMO). I'm a bit scared to give her any enzymes other than Candex since I know her gut is damaged and I've read that proteases can be very hard on a damaged gut.

Do you eat coconut oil? It's anti-fungal and has lots of other benefits besides (it contains caprylic acid). Five tablespoons a day is the recommended amount for yeast-killing. I haven't done much research on it but caprylic acid seems safe to me. Biotin (a B vitamin) is also supposed to inhibit yeast if you take 1000 mcg 3x/day. Vitamin C in large doses is supposed to be anti-fungal. I don't know that you necessarily *have* to take an anti-fungal with the Candex. It might just work better or faster if you take an anti-fungal, too.

I'm jealous that your DS said a word! DD can sign "please" and "all done", though, so I guess that's something. I don't think she knows what they mean, but she'll sign them if I tell her to. Does your DS walk yet? DD is so close. I was hoping she would walk today--DH came home from his training for 2 days but had to go back this morning and I wanted her to walk for him. He's afraid she's going to forget him when he's deployed
#423 of 484 Old 11-27-2006, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Do you eat coconut oil? It's anti-fungal and has lots of other benefits besides (it contains caprylic acid). Five tablespoons a day is the recommended amount for yeast-killing. I haven't done much research on it but caprylic acid seems safe to me. Biotin (a B vitamin) is also supposed to inhibit yeast if you take 1000 mcg 3x/day. Vitamin C in large doses is supposed to be anti-fungal. I don't know that you necessarily *have* to take an anti-fungal with the Candex. It might just work better or faster if you take an anti-fungal, too.
I had a really bad reaction to CO. Bloating; burning when I used body products with it (dr. bronner's); huge zit when I put lip balm on after not using it or ingesting it for a week. Maybe that was all just die off??? That is why I have stayed away from caprylic acid, because most supplements are from coconut. I had not heard about biotin yet. At this point I don't know that I want to go faster because DS isn't reacting well.

Quote:
I'm jealous that your DS said a word! DD can sign "please" and "all done", though, so I guess that's something. I don't think she knows what they mean, but she'll sign them if I tell her to. Does your DS walk yet? DD is so close. I was hoping she would walk today--DH came home from his training for 2 days but had to go back this morning and I wanted her to walk for him. He's afraid she's going to forget him when he's deployed
: I am sorry your DH is being deployed. How long will he be gone? Will he come home for visits at all? There is always phone and email, is your DD fascinated with the phone? It will be a huge adjustment when your DH gets back, but there is no one like daddy.
DS is close to walking, he walks hanging onto my pinky, we are just waiting for him to realize he can do it on his own. The IL's are coming next weekend, maybe he will do it then.

We create our own reality.
#424 of 484 Old 11-27-2006, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
Where did you get it and what kind and how much did you take?

i spent the first month on RenewLife's Intestinew product - it's got a bunch of herbs and L-glutamine and N-acetylcysteine (i think). My ND said it was a pretty mild product. On top of that, he had me taking MSM. The glutamine apparently strengthens the epithelial cell tissue (gut lining) and the MSM apparently strengthens the intercellular connective tissue. I noticed that my joints became a bit less loose and less crackly when I was on MSM. I think I also started EPO at this time too.

Then, after a month on the IntestiNew, I switched to the Metagenics Glutagenics product - quite a bit stronger - for a period of 3 months. It's got L-glutamine, DGL and aloe vera juice (powdered). At this time, I started up KAL UltraOmega 369 and kept on the EPO (oops - found out a month or so later that the ND didn't think i needed that much EPO but have since learned that i do need it). I also went on the Metagenics UltraFlora Plus DF probiotic (contains FOS?).

I pretty much followed the label instructions re: dosage, except that I only managed 2 doses a day because we weren't eating at home for lunch then and it was a pain to remember to haul the stuff around.

4 months doesn't seem like long term to me, so I don't think there was any danger in using those products - except danger to my wallet. Those Metagenics products are expensive.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#425 of 484 Old 11-27-2006, 02:31 AM

well i guess ds has a mild yeast thing going on.

we overdid the fruit today and this evening he was positively loony. that behavior coupled with the hand sucking, thumb sucking, nosepicking (is that a yeast thing or just a toddler thing?!)... well, i'm guessing it's yeast. sigh. he's also somewhat constipated - that 6 hours drive yesterday didn't help matters. guess what his favorite fruit is? apples! he doesn't eat any other binding things though...

on the upside, we saw my parents at thanksgiving so we now have a fresh batch of homemade pickles. i also pulled out a bit of my mom's sauerkraut. i can't for the life of me get ds to choke down powdered probiotics. if his water looks anything different from water, he won't drink it. so i've been letting him chew down as many pickles as he wants along with as much sauerkraut as he wants. he eats them both by the handful.

hrm... could the loony behavior be dieoff? it had been some time since he had eaten either fermented veggies, and he has eaten quite lot within the past few days (even by my standards)...

#426 of 484 Old 11-27-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
That's great that the custom probiotics are helping...what strains do you have and how much are you giving her?
DD is taking this one. I called and told the guy (Harry) about dd's CDSA and this is what he recommended. He's pretty knowledgeable.

He suggested 1/2 cap in the a.m. for a week or two then increase to 1/2 cap in a.m. and 1/2 cap in p.m.

I'm still only doing 1/2 in the morning.
#427 of 484 Old 11-27-2006, 12:15 PM

I'm mainly a lurker : but I will be starting SCD/Maker's Diet soon. Right now I'm just reading up and gathering all the info I can.

Yogurt maker
The heating pad/stove/oven/cooler methods won't really work for me. I need a yogurt maker. Has anyone found one that keeps the yogurt within the desired temperature range?

Juicer
I'm going to buy a juicer... I know I'm going to have to pay a couple hundred bucks : to get a good one. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good juicer that won't get hot and kill the enzymes, leave metal scrapings in my juice, or anything else bad? I'd like a good one that'll last for decades so I'm willing to pay big bucks for it.

Thanks so much for the help!
#428 of 484 Old 11-27-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I had a really bad reaction to CO. Bloating; burning when I used body products with it (dr. bronner's); huge zit when I put lip balm on after not using it or ingesting it for a week. Maybe that was all just die off??? That is why I have stayed away from caprylic acid, because most supplements are from coconut. I had not heard about biotin yet. At this point I don't know that I want to go faster because DS isn't reacting well.
: I am sorry your DH is being deployed. How long will he be gone? Will he come home for visits at all? There is always phone and email, is your DD fascinated with the phone? It will be a huge adjustment when your DH gets back, but there is no one like daddy.
DS is close to walking, he walks hanging onto my pinky, we are just waiting for him to realize he can do it on his own. The IL's are coming next weekend, maybe he will do it then.
I forgot you had problems with coconut products. The bloating and the zit sound like die-off but I'm not sure about the burning. I can't remember--are you doing the SCD without honey and fruit?

DH will "only" be gone for 6 months so he doesn't get any leave during that time. DD likes the phone but she tries to press the buttons and tends to hang up on people who talk to her
#429 of 484 Old 11-27-2006, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
For my 6 mo old, I mix 1/4 tsp filtered, unchilled water with the probiotic powder and then use one of the medicine droppers (actually not the dropper but the kind that is like a shot without the needle) to squirt it in her mouth slowly (towards the back so that its harder to spit out). Not sure how it would work with an older kiddo, but it's working well for us. This was the only way I could get enough of the powder in her to make a difference and make sure she actually ingested it.
I wonder if he will tolerate that - he can fight pretty hard when he doesn't like something. But I'm going to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
on baby constipation - really strong epsom salt baths and, if your dc can handle it without behavioral issues later, let them drink the bathwater. ds now lies on his tummy (on his own!) in the bath when he has constipation issues (usually about 1x per week). now that he stands up to pee in the tub, i only let him drink until he pees (usually at the end of the bath). i guess the combination of the strong warm-tepid bath, the salts, and the self-induced belly rub help get things moving.
Ah...maybe I'm not adding enough epsom salts. I'll go crazy with them then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
chasmyn, I wanted to add that you should limit the amount of binding food that your ds eats -- not only the old BRAT (bananas, rice, apples, toast) list but also carrots and cheese. Pears, prunes, figs, avocado, any fruit except apples really, will help. I used to give a combination of chopped prunes and whole blueberries to ds when he was a toddler -- he loved it! It looked kinda icky, but it must have been really sweet!
Sigh....there are so few foods he will eat already. But you're right. Of course you realize three of his favourite foods are apples, bananas and cooked carrots, right?
#430 of 484 Old 11-27-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:
on the upside, we saw my parents at thanksgiving so we now have a fresh batch of homemade pickles. i also pulled out a bit of my mom's sauerkraut. i can't for the life of me get ds to choke down powdered probiotics. if his water looks anything different from water, he won't drink it. so i've been letting him chew down as many pickles as he wants along with as much sauerkraut as he wants. he eats them both by the handful.

hrm... could the loony behavior be dieoff? it had been some time since he had eaten either fermented veggies, and he has eaten quite lot within the past few days (even by my standards)...
You are so lucky to have a mom that makes fermented veggies! Nolan has been eating my ginger carrots, another thing I had not considered with his die-off. I have to start thinking of these things as medicine instead of just yummy foods to eat, I am getting us in trouble. DS is drooling and chewing on things, I thought we would see another tooth but nothing has popped through so I'm sure its yeast.

Quote:
I forgot you had problems with coconut products. The bloating and the zit sound like die-off but I'm not sure about the burning. I can't remember--are you doing the SCD without honey and fruit?
Problems or die off, who knows. Maybe I will try it again in small amounts, after things calm down a bit. I am going to get some biotin today though, seems like it might not cause die off since it doesn't kill the yeast, it prevents it from turning into fungus. (That's what I understand from doing a littl ereading.) We are doing SCD no fruit and a bit of honey here and there in baked goods.

#431 of 484 Old 11-27-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
You are so lucky to have a mom that makes fermented veggies! Nolan has been eating my ginger carrots, another thing I had not considered with his die-off. I have to start thinking of these things as medicine instead of just yummy foods to eat, I am getting us in trouble. DS is drooling and chewing on things, I thought we would see another tooth but nothing has popped through so I'm sure its yeast.
my mom is from eastern Europe and grew up eating in the NT-style (only they didn't call it that!) so, in effect, I did for awhile too. until she got busy being a mom, a teacher, a student, a union leader, a ... well, i don't know how she did it all. she's just recently returned to reall traditional cooking after a lot of prodding from me. she also makes AWESOME traditional sourdough bread. i also just got her hooked on kefir (though she isn't quite as much of an addict as i am).

she is totally supportive of our diet changes - annoyingly so, in fact. "can you eat this?" is a frequent question. and my dad teases us: "we took ds to the mall and got him a hot dog and an ice cream cone... haha just kidding."

anyhow... i posted to a thread that Annikate started in Traditional Foods about her pickle recipe if you want it. she claims it was a bad year for cukes (mildew) but not in her backyard.

somewhere here i found the recipe for Midas Gold pancakes (with cashew butter)... they are very good. in fact, they are the first pancake that ds ever liked. plain, even.

an another note - is it a sign of yeast when one's typing becomes almost dyslexic? i can't seem to type today at all...

#432 of 484 Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Y I am going to get some biotin today though, seems like it might not cause die off since it doesn't kill the yeast, it prevents it from turning into fungus.
old but probably reliable since it is in a peer-reviewed journal (older articles tend to be naive but better written and more trustworthy because there wasn't as much commercial impetus for various almost commissioned work): http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/toc...d&artid=278756

"GROWTH PROMOTING EFFECT OF SOME BIOTIN ANALOGUES FOR CANDIDA ALBICANS"

an excerpt from the first paragraph:

Previous reports have indicated that many strains of Candida albicans and related species require biotin for growth aind that thiamine is stimulatory or essential for some strains... Practically all of them required biotin; a few needed also thiamine, vitamin B6, or nicotinic acid, either singly or in different combinations.

i haven't really followed up on this one but it might merit a close read (free on pubmedcentral!).

#433 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
old but probably reliable since it is in a peer-reviewed journal (older articles tend to be naive but better written and more trustworthy because there wasn't as much commercial impetus for various almost commissioned work): http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/toc...d&artid=278756

"GROWTH PROMOTING EFFECT OF SOME BIOTIN ANALOGUES FOR CANDIDA ALBICANS"

an excerpt from the first paragraph:

Previous reports have indicated that many strains of Candida albicans and related species require biotin for growth aind that thiamine is stimulatory or essential for some strains... Practically all of them required biotin; a few needed also thiamine, vitamin B6, or nicotinic acid, either singly or in different combinations.

i haven't really followed up on this one but it might merit a close read (free on pubmedcentral!).
Sigh. Can't anything be simple? I guess I will have to do some searching--the stuff I've read said that Candida couldn't turn into the invasive form if enough biotin was present.

On a somewhat related note, the more I read the more I think a lot of the information on the candidasupport yahoo group is inaccurate (I don't know if anyone else is doing that anymore or not). I still think the basic principles of the diet are sound, but there are many many things in the files, etc that are totally wrong, IMO...and the list owner and moderators aren't open to anything that contracts their information, either.
#434 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 12:21 AM

heh - this is biology, one of the messiest sciences... so of course it isn't easy but that's what makes it fun (from the research perspective, that is).

i agree with your opininon on the anticandida group. i joined just to get the files and such. having read it all, i found it a little too overbearing and restrictive for my liking, so i immediately quit the group.

what about coming up with a new diet?

do the beginning stages of SCD to purge your system (or some variant thereof). then start adding things that don't feed yeast. we know that yeast's #1 source of energy is glucose (i have a paper to read about glucose receptors in candida; will report on that later) so, hold back on sugar and any potential allergens (dairy, wheat, etc.) but introduce more meat (a really good source of natural glutamine, btw) and digestible veggies and some form of lactofermented foods. maybe use molasses or honey as a sweetener after the initial purging.

for the longest time in the spring, we ate lamb and broccoli (even though it isn't the most digestible thing) the same way over and over and over again. at least i knew that the digestive issues were just because i don't handle sulphurous foods.

i would also retain any basic (not fancy) supplements one is taking prior to the purging "diet".

i'm beginning to gather that yeast is (a) part of one's natural flora but that (b) it comes and goes in waves, depending on food intake.

using NT principles helps with digestion a lot, so for a newbie, i would advocate adopting those and whenthey aren't feasible or practical to adopt (e.g., soaking flour), find an alternative (e.g., dont' use flour).

#435 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 02:01 AM

Bleuts-thank you for the info on the biotin. There is a lot of misinformation out there.: Thankfully I had not bought it.

Ds's birthday is next week. I thought I would make him some pumpkin jello. Can I use a touch of honey to sweeten it now that he is a year old? Or I could use a banana, which is the lesser of the 2 evils? No cake for him or me.

Caedmyn-what are you making for your DD?

#436 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 03:54 AM
Banned

Hi everyone...

I'm not sure if this is the place for me, but it seems like a good place to start...

My 9 yr old daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's last year, after 2 years of stomach problems and no weight gain or increase in height. She was hospitalized for a week and set on a regement of steroidal (and other) drugs.

I wasn't comfortable with the idea of my litle girl being steroids, and we transitioned to probiotics and made some dietary changes. After the healing that occurred with the intensive treatment in the hospital, she seemed to react well to the probiotics and change in diet, and she's been good for the past year...

Unfortunately, it seems that some of her symptoms are returning and I'm afraid she's heading back towards the gastro-specialist.

Can anyone offer any advice that I might take into consideration before we resort back to traditional medicine?
#437 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 05:07 AM

What's the *shelf life* of homemade coconut milk yogurt? We just gave up dairy today...:

Samantha

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
#438 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanelles View Post
Hi everyone...

I'm not sure if this is the place for me, but it seems like a good place to start...

My 9 yr old daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's last year, after 2 years of stomach problems and no weight gain or increase in height. She was hospitalized for a week and set on a regement of steroidal (and other) drugs.

I wasn't comfortable with the idea of my litle girl being steroids, and we transitioned to probiotics and made some dietary changes. After the healing that occurred with the intensive treatment in the hospital, she seemed to react well to the probiotics and change in diet, and she's been good for the past year...

Unfortunately, it seems that some of her symptoms are returning and I'm afraid she's heading back towards the gastro-specialist.

Can anyone offer any advice that I might take into consideration before we resort back to traditional medicine?
Welcome! Have you read the sticky at the top of the health and healing page? That's a good place to start.

Look at the Specific Carbohydrate Diet stuff.
hth
#439 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyofPunkiePie View Post
What's the *shelf life* of homemade coconut milk yogurt? We just gave up dairy today...:

Samantha
Mine was definitely bad after two weeks but still fine after a week. I didn't use it in between then so I don't know exactly when it started going bad.
#440 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 11:21 AM

Quote:
heh - this is biology, one of the messiest sciences... so of course it isn't easy but that's what makes it fun (from the research perspective, that is).

i agree with your opininon on the anticandida group. i joined just to get the files and such. having read it all, i found it a little too overbearing and restrictive for my liking, so i immediately quit the group.

what about coming up with a new diet?

do the beginning stages of SCD to purge your system (or some variant thereof). then start adding things that don't feed yeast. we know that yeast's #1 source of energy is glucose (i have a paper to read about glucose receptors in candida; will report on that later) so, hold back on sugar and any potential allergens (dairy, wheat, etc.) but introduce more meat (a really good source of natural glutamine, btw) and digestible veggies and some form of lactofermented foods. maybe use molasses or honey as a sweetener after the initial purging.

for the longest time in the spring, we ate lamb and broccoli (even though it isn't the most digestible thing) the same way over and over and over again. at least i knew that the digestive issues were just because i don't handle sulphurous foods.

i would also retain any basic (not fancy) supplements one is taking prior to the purging "diet".

i'm beginning to gather that yeast is (a) part of one's natural flora but that (b) it comes and goes in waves, depending on food intake.

using NT principles helps with digestion a lot, so for a newbie, i would advocate adopting those and whenthey aren't feasible or practical to adopt (e.g., soaking flour), find an alternative (e.g., dont' use flour).
Doing the initial diet on the SCD for a couple of days for newbies is a good idea--I definitely had die-off both times I did that. The only problem with adding in foods that don't feed yeast is that there is so much disagreement about what foods actually don't feed the yeast. Some say some grains (rice, aramanth, quinoa, buckwheat) are okay, some say they aren't. Some say all veggies are okay, some say no starches or are even more restrictive. I really think lactofermented foods and/or high doses of probiotics are the key, although diet changes are probably necessary, too. Oh, and don't forget some sort of anti-fungal.

If you get a chance to do any more searching on biotin/candida, will you post what you find? Everything I can find says biotin deficiency is linked to candida overgrowth and they talk about studies but I can't actually find studies. I tried searching PubMed but can't find anything--apparently I'm not very good at searching it because I rarely find anything I'm looking for there.
#441 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Bleuts-thank you for the info on the biotin. There is a lot of misinformation out there.: Thankfully I had not bought it.

Ds's birthday is next week. I thought I would make him some pumpkin jello. Can I use a touch of honey to sweeten it now that he is a year old? Or I could use a banana, which is the lesser of the 2 evils? No cake for him or me.

Caedmyn-what are you making for your DD?
I think I'm going to make DD the pumpkin pie filling recipe from pecanbread.com and try to whip some coconut cream for frosting, maybe with a little bit of sugar in there for a better consistency. I really want "frosting" for pictures. She's had the pumpkin pie filling before and seems to do okay with it so I figure that's a good choice for her.
#442 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 11:27 AM

This morning DD pooped a chunk of something that looked like thick green jelly. Anyone have any idea what it could be? She hasn't been getting any solids other than CO and coconut milk kefir. Lately she's been pooping in the middle of the night--anywhere from 2-5 am, and then it takes anywhere from 1/2-1 1/2 hrs to get her back to sleep.:

Also, DD's had runny and/or green poop for the last two weeks, ever since I fed her some sweet potato. Could eating something that doesn't agree with her once still be causing poop issues two weeks later? I also upped her dose of probiotics at the same time--could that be having a negative impact on her poop, like if one of more of the strains didn't agree with her? There are 12 strains in the brand I started giving her, but it is still bifidus dominant.
#443 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 12:11 PM

Hi, all - we're finally back to somewhat of our normal routine after a crazy long weekend (fun, but very challenging from a food perspective - I didn't plan ahead as much as I should have!)

I've been refraining from asking this question because I'm scared to get the answer, but alas, here I go chipping away at the brick of ignorant bliss once again --

talk to me about yeast signs in little ones (DD is 6 mos today!) I really don't think I have yeast issues right now (I have at other points in my life, so I know what it is like, but have been clear of all that for about 7 years now), but DD does drool a lot and always want her hands in her mouth. But she's 6 mos - isn't that somewhat normal? It could be teething, but if so, it's probably not imminent - more like preteething (DD#1 didn't get her first tooth until 14 mos, and dh and I both were late teethers - both well after a year). Which leads me to another question - is late teething associated with all this stuff or could it just be unrelated? Aside from the drooling and hands in mouth, she really doesn't have any other yeasty symptoms. So, should I be worried about this or just chalk it up to normal? Also, can she have yeast issues if she is ebf and I don't have them? I'm new to all the yeast stuff in little ones.

On the upside, cutting out cinnamon seems to have made a humongo difference with the yakking, so I'm very happy about that (well, not about giving it up, but about finding something that has made a big difference).

thanks!
#444 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Doing the initial diet on the SCD for a couple of days for newbies is a good idea--I definitely had die-off both times I did that. The only problem with adding in foods that don't feed yeast is that there is so much disagreement about what foods actually don't feed the yeast. Some say some grains (rice, aramanth, quinoa, buckwheat) are okay, some say they aren't. Some say all veggies are okay, some say no starches or are even more restrictive. I really think lactofermented foods and/or high doses of probiotics are the key, although diet changes are probably necessary, too. Oh, and don't forget some sort of anti-fungal.
when i added grains initially, i started with rice then only much later i added sourdough bread. i think i'm better off with fermented wheat than with the unfermented stuff.

Quote:
If you get a chance to do any more searching on biotin/candida, will you post what you find? Everything I can find says biotin deficiency is linked to candida overgrowth and they talk about studies but I can't actually find studies. I tried searching PubMed but can't find anything--apparently I'm not very good at searching it because I rarely find anything I'm looking for there.
pubmed is a bit weird but it does accept "AND" and "OR" in the search field.

just a quick pass at this before i have to write a report...

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...2.2000.00841.x
Cutaneous and neurologic manifestations of biotinidase deficiency
(no free access to this article but PM me if you want it)
(get yourself a dictionary for this one!)

abstract: A male newborn with no obstetric or familial antecedents, except that his parents were cousins, developed hypotonia, lethargy, and feeding problems from birth. Analysis revealed a marked metabolic acidosis and hyperammonemia. Three weeks later, he was admitted to hospital in order to receive parenteral nutrition and to undertake a study for metabolic diseases.

The boy did not improve in spite of the use of parenteral nutrition and began to present with inspiratory stridor and tachypnea. One week later, he presented with an erythematous scaling eruption, which was especially intense in the lumbosacral region ( Fig. 1a,b).The scalp was only slightly affected.

Laboratory findings were compatible with biotinidase deficiency diagnosed by demonstrating absent enzyme activity. His parents were also studied and they were found to have partial biotinidase deficiency (30% of enzyme activity).

After 37 days of life, the baby was given a treatment consisting of 20 mg of biotin per day intravenously. Biochemical and neurologic alterations improved quickly.

Meckel's diverticulum and a duodenal membrane were detected at the second month of life after a gastroduodenal survey, and both were operated on. The skin lesions did not improve, however, and intravenous biotin had to be increased to 40 mg/day. The eruption disappeared after 10 days.

On his first birthday, he remained asymptomatic with 40 mg of oral biotin.

highlights:
- Biotin deficiency results from different mechanisms: acquired deficiencies (consumption of raw egg whites or parenteral nutrition without biotin supplementation) and innate errors of biotin metabolism (holocarboxylase synthetase deficiency and biotinidase deficiency). The holocarboxylases are then used in 3 pathways: amino acid catabolism, fatty acid synthesis, and gluconeogenesis.

- Biotinidase deficiency is inherited as an autosomal recessive trait .... (one gene, not linked to the sex chromosomes, and inherited from both parents)

- Most children suffer a combination of neurologic and cutaneous symptoms and have abnormal metabolic alterations. The onset varies between 1 or 2 weeks to 1 year of life or older (mean: 5 months). The most frequent symptoms are development delay, hypotonia, and seizures. These children may have feeding problems, irritability, and lethargy, and frequently present with respiratory problems (apnea, hyperventilation, and stridor).

- There is a lack of dermatologic literature describing skin features in this disease. ... More severe cases can show lichenification, crusting, and open lesions that may become infected by Candida (because of immune deficiencies). The hair is sparse and thin and children usually have total or partial alopecia that can include the eyebrows and eyelashes.

- Impaired synthesis or metabolism of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids is probably more important. Supplements of ω-6-PUFA administered to biotin-deficient rats prevented the development of cutaneous manifestations.

- Biotinidase deficiency can be diagnosed by demonstrating decreased or absent enzyme activity in serum, peripheral blood leukocytes, or cultured skin fibroblasts.

- Biotinidase deficiency should be considered in children with skin eruption or hair loss who also show neurologic dysfunction, especially infantile seizures, or unexplained breathing problems associated with ketolactic acidosis, organic aciduria, and hyperammonemia. Differential diagnoses include acrodermatitis enteropathica, seborrheic dermatitis, immunodeficiencies, or other syndromes.

- The clinical consequences of this disorder can be prevented by a simple form of therapy with oral biotin with doses ranging from 5 to 40 mg per day. The metabolic derangement and seizures resolve quickly and the skin eruption disappears within a week or two. If treatment is delayed, however, the neurologic damage may be permanent, with auditory loss and impaired vision. The therapy should be continued for life and the required doses vary according to each patient.

---------------

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/lin....21308.x/full/
Dermatologic Signs of Biotin Deficiency Leading to the Diagnosis of Multiple Carboxylase Deficiency
(no free access either)

abstract: The biotin-responsive, multiple carboxylase deficiencies are autosomal recessively inherited disorders of metabolism in which biotin-dependent carboxylases show diminished activity. This results in an accumulation of organic acids in the urine. The clinical picture involves the nervous system, skin, respiratory system, digestive system, and immune system. The disorder has a good prognosis if biotin therapy is introduced early. If not, it can result in irreversible damage to the central nervous system and early death from metabolic acidosis. We report a 4-year-old girl with unexplained seizures that did not respond well to anticonvulsants. The development of skin problems, which histologically could match the diagnosis of a nutritional dermatitis, together with the fact that the child was constantly eating without gaining weight, led us to the diagnosis of a metabolic disorder. The accumulation of organic acids in the urine suggested the possibility of a biotin deficiency. With biotin therapy the skin problems resolved completely. The seizures also diminished. This case shows that in young children with unexplained seizures that do not respond well to classic anticonvulsant therapy, the possibility of biotin deficiency should always be considered. This article also includes a thorough review of the skin manifestations and other problems caused by biotin deficiency.

#445 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 12:38 PM

Hi Mamas,
How does one determine ones level of yeast infestation? It seems like for most of you the yeast is less entrenched than in me, which I gather from my lack of impact (no die-off, no improvement, no worsening). There are those that say you must be STRICT with the whole protocal for at least a year to eradicate it. I know someone who did the diet/antifungals/etc. - it took 12 mos to be symptom free, and 6 of those she did psyllium/bentonite shakes 2x/day. That's something Ive been thinking about - cleansing; it makes sense that if the yeast are burrowed, you would need some kind of scrubbing action? And that then the antifungals could be more effective (I know psyliium is not supposed to be great for lgs, but I figure its a balance, in the same way that many antifungals supposedly affect good bugs too).

Ive been on nystatin for a week. This is the most change Ive had in these 4 mos (the rash on my eye looks a little better). I guess the hard part for me is the not knowing - do I just continue for year[s] and then one day I will be symptom free? How do you see this for yourselves? My current thoughts are to add some kind of cleansing for a few months along with some intestinal healing (l-glutamine, aloe?). Although I think psyllium/bentonite drinks need to be taken on an empty stomach, and so does nystatin, 4x/day. I dont have that much time in the day with an empty stomach (2 hrs after, 1 hr before eating).

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#446 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 12:57 PM

saskiasmom - mine goes in cycles... i get the yeasty feeling where the sun doesn't shine, coupled with an inability to focus and type. (yeah, yeah... i have a report waiting to be written but i can't focus, right?) a few years ago, i found that i need only cut back on bad grains, sugary things, and, in the past, cheese and within a few weeks all would be well again. i think there may have been some relationship to AF as well.

i haven't really increased sugar though i did eat a lot of sweet things last week - with rice flour. so maybe that triggered things for me. my bowels change a bit as well - going from 2-3 trips to 1 massive one especially after my morning coffee.

i'll keep you posted on my recovery this time 'round.

#447 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
This morning DD pooped a chunk of something that looked like thick green jelly. Anyone have any idea what it could be? She hasn't been getting any solids other than CO and coconut milk kefir. Lately she's been pooping in the middle of the night--anywhere from 2-5 am, and then it takes anywhere from 1/2-1 1/2 hrs to get her back to sleep.:

Also, DD's had runny and/or green poop for the last two weeks, ever since I fed her some sweet potato. Could eating something that doesn't agree with her once still be causing poop issues two weeks later? I also upped her dose of probiotics at the same time--could that be having a negative impact on her poop, like if one of more of the strains didn't agree with her? There are 12 strains in the brand I started giving her, but it is still bifidus dominant.
how does this correspond to the start of the new probiotics? could she be just readjusting (adapting?) her gut flora to the new strains?

#448 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
how does this correspond to the start of the new probiotics? could she be just readjusting (adapting?) her gut flora to the new strains?
I started giving her the new probiotics the same day she had the sweet potato. I can see probiotics giving her loose stools, but two weeks seems like a long time for the loose stools to continue. And would probiotics cause green stools?
#449 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
Hi Mamas,
How does one determine ones level of yeast infestation? It seems like for most of you the yeast is less entrenched than in me, which I gather from my lack of impact (no die-off, no improvement, no worsening). There are those that say you must be STRICT with the whole protocal for at least a year to eradicate it. I know someone who did the diet/antifungals/etc. - it took 12 mos to be symptom free, and 6 of those she did psyllium/bentonite shakes 2x/day. That's something Ive been thinking about - cleansing; it makes sense that if the yeast are burrowed, you would need some kind of scrubbing action? And that then the antifungals could be more effective (I know psyliium is not supposed to be great for lgs, but I figure its a balance, in the same way that many antifungals supposedly affect good bugs too).

Ive been on nystatin for a week. This is the most change Ive had in these 4 mos (the rash on my eye looks a little better). I guess the hard part for me is the not knowing - do I just continue for year[s] and then one day I will be symptom free? How do you see this for yourselves? My current thoughts are to add some kind of cleansing for a few months along with some intestinal healing (l-glutamine, aloe?). Although I think psyllium/bentonite drinks need to be taken on an empty stomach, and so does nystatin, 4x/day. I dont have that much time in the day with an empty stomach (2 hrs after, 1 hr before eating).
I don't know if it has to do with yeast entrenchment but with finding the proper protocol for you. IMO, if you haven't seen improvement yet, what you're doing isn't going to work and you need to do something different. Yes it may take a long time to be symptom free, but you should be seeing improvement or at least die-off starting pretty early, IMO.

I've read that psyllium can be hard on your gut if it's not healthy. I don't think you need to scrub out the yeast--my understand is that part of them are exposed and all you need to do is take something that will kill them. You don't have to uncover them to get rid of them, if that makes any sense. You could try it for a few weeks and see what happens, though.

Have you tried anything like kefir/water kefir, kombucha, or Threelac? Maybe super strong probiotics in kefir, s. boullardi in kombucha, or the different probiotic strains in Threelac would help you.
#450 of 484 Old 11-28-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
Hi, all - we're finally back to somewhat of our normal routine after a crazy long weekend (fun, but very challenging from a food perspective - I didn't plan ahead as much as I should have!)

I've been refraining from asking this question because I'm scared to get the answer, but alas, here I go chipping away at the brick of ignorant bliss once again --

talk to me about yeast signs in little ones (DD is 6 mos today!) I really don't think I have yeast issues right now (I have at other points in my life, so I know what it is like, but have been clear of all that for about 7 years now), but DD does drool a lot and always want her hands in her mouth. But she's 6 mos - isn't that somewhat normal? It could be teething, but if so, it's probably not imminent - more like preteething (DD#1 didn't get her first tooth until 14 mos, and dh and I both were late teethers - both well after a year). Which leads me to another question - is late teething associated with all this stuff or could it just be unrelated? Aside from the drooling and hands in mouth, she really doesn't have any other yeasty symptoms. So, should I be worried about this or just chalk it up to normal? Also, can she have yeast issues if she is ebf and I don't have them? I'm new to all the yeast stuff in little ones.

On the upside, cutting out cinnamon seems to have made a humongo difference with the yakking, so I'm very happy about that (well, not about giving it up, but about finding something that has made a big difference).

thanks!
Yes your DD can have candida even if you don't. Did you have a C section, or did either of you have antibiotics during or since the birth? Really anything that caused her to have abnormal gut flora could allow yeast to overgrow. OTC meds, a few bottles of formula, vaxes, etc could all alter her gut flora, and if your gut flora was off during the birth, that would affect her, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page