Healing the Gut Tribe - November! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2006, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PF Changs and Outback Steakhouse both have gluten free menus. Not the best restaurants, but it does help a little.

Samantha

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
ooo please share!

i can guess that the crust is something like appropriately soaked nuts (mmmm pecans....) and dates... i'm at a loss for the (raw?) filling though.
Well, you can do one of two things...a nut and date crust, or a nut and arrowroot topping (like a coobler almost.)

The filling (though you can do raw-I didn't) is just sweet potato or pumpkin, about a half a cup of arrowroot (instead of eggs) and coconut milk (instead of milk)-then follow your normal recipe in terms of quantities of milk and spices. Just make sure that the crust isn't exposed (only build it 3/4 of the way up the pan) so it doesn't burn.

The cobbler recipe in NT works very well ontop of the pumpkin custard. If you can do eggs, skip the arrowroot and just use the eggs.

IF you want the raw version I'll post it. I'm working on a raw pumpkin cheesecake right now. I'll let you know when I perfect it!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
Could it be that he is just using the bm so effeciently that there isn't much left over? It isn't like it is high fiber or anything like that to bulk it up. Thats all I've got.
Well, that's what I keep trying to wish until my LC and others smack some sense into me. My LC fortunately is one of the greats in the field, as is my D.Ht. I am really lucky to work with the best of the best. Even if they use it effeciently (as they should-bm was made for that!) the body still produces waste. We're not seeing any of that. I'm with you though!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
Wow, I can't imagine having to worry about gluten free soap, and gluten-free glue and paint and playdough. How would you make gluten free playdough, anyway? I know there is a recipe for peanut butter playdough, but that's an edible version. Not that ds would ever eat it or play with it, LOL.
I've made gf playdoh twice. Both times were flops. DD reacts to the gluten in her playdoh even on days when she isn't licking it :eyeroll: :

Anyone who has a good recipe for gf playdoh I am all ears.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 11-08-2006, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
When we went to leave I told dh what happened. He said that we would just have to only have people watch him who will follow the rules. I felt really validated after that.
i have come to the conclusion that these sorts of major lifestyle changes require full support from dp. we couldn't have made all the changes we did without full cooperation from dh. he's so much on the bandwagon now that he's terrified of eating over at friends, family, at restaurants, etc. and he's not the one with problems!

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 11-08-2006, 01:26 PM

My dh is very supportive...but not THAT supportive! That's great Bluets!
Old 11-08-2006, 01:35 PM

I have made this pate twice now and it turned out well. It has a mild liver flavor for those of us that don't *love* liver. You can slice this and serve as an easy snack. I even made a version without the spices for ds. It is important to use veal as the fat congeles nicely so you can slice the pate.

Pate
1/2 lb chicken livers, trimmed of membranes and fat
1/2 lb ground veal
1 cup chicken stock
2 T. chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T baked winter squash (butternut or pumkin both good)
1/2 t. ground mustard
1/2 t. salt
dash pepper
1 bay leaf

Combine livers, chicken stock and bay leaf in med saucepan. Heat to a boil over med heat, reduce heat to low. Barely simmer, covered, until livers are tender, 6-8 min. Drain and discard bay leaf. Saute onioins and garlic until almost translucent, add salt, mustard and pepper. Add veal and saute until done. Combine all ingredients and process until smooth in a food processor. Refrigerate for a half hour. Form the pate into a 'log' in plastic wrap and refridgerate over night.

We create our own reality.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:40 PM

Bluets-You are lucky to have such a great DH! Mine is supportive in that he never says anything negative and would never give DS anything not approved by me. I am very lucky to have a neighbor who is very supportive, she will make us meals that are SCD when we have dinner over there. She even shows me recipes bofore she makes them for us. Best part is that she and her husband are great cooks and I have been learning a lot of new techniques from them.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:55 PM

firefaery--I don't have any thoughts on your LO's pooping habits, but you could try doing EC and see if that helps him poop more...the position puts a bit of pressure on their stomach to help them go and once he catches on he might get the idea of "trying" when he's in the position.

DD caught a cold three days ago and I decided to cut all non-BM out of her diet except her probiotic powder and CLO. Her eczema is definitely clearing up. So either she was reacting to something she was eating, or the sarsaparilla salve I made (and started at the same time I cut out the foods) is really helping her. I'm going to give her a couple more days without foods and then start slowly adding things back in to see what happens.

I'm thinking I don't need to worry about wheat/gluten free right at the moment, since it doesn't look like DD's eczema is related to that (since I had a Chipotle burrito the day before I stopped her foods). I don't think it would be particularly difficult for me to do (other than eating out) if I decide to do it, but hopefully it won't be necessary. I don't think either of us have symptoms of celiac, either.

I have actually done tons of traveling while on these diets and I generally do fine, but this trip it is not really going to be possible. DD & I are accompanying DH's mother, sister, and SIL to Chicago for two days and we will be eating out every meal. It is just not practical to try to bring food for this (and I guess our issues aren't severe enough to make it worth the hassle for me to do it), and I can't stick to the candida diet while eating out that much. I would be starving--I rely too much on CO for calories. I can do my own foods for Thanksgiving (and I probably mostly will since almost every dish I can think of has dairy in it) but I'll cheat on the foods...I would like to have mashed potatoes even if they have EVOO in them instead of butter and milk! I'll just bring my water kefir grains and hope for the best.

My DH is fairly supportive. He hassles me quite a bit about finding so many things wrong with myself and DD, and about the cost of the supplements (and how many of them I take), and he says I'll be on this diet forever. And he doesn't understand my frenzy about avoiding any traces of dairy. But he's supportive around family and friends and doesn't have any problem telling people what I can and can't eat and telling them not to feed DD anything.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Well, that's what I keep trying to wish until my LC and others smack some sense into me. My LC fortunately is one of the greats in the field, as is my D.Ht. I am really lucky to work with the best of the best. Even if they use it effeciently (as they should-bm was made for that!) the body still produces waste. We're not seeing any of that. I'm with you though!
I'm sure you've explored this, but what about a probiotic cultured on chickpeas? Natren Mega Dophilus is and it says it's dairy free. I haven't called the company to verify that it doesn't have trace wheat or soy, though.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
i have come to the conclusion that these sorts of major lifestyle changes require full support from dp. we couldn't have made all the changes we did without full cooperation from dh. he's so much on the bandwagon now that he's terrified of eating over at friends, family, at restaurants, etc. and he's not the one with problems!

My dh is very supportive, too. I was just talking to him about SCD and he reminded me of a physiology class he had in college in which the prof showed them a cadaver. The man's intestines were completely filled with mucous and the prof said it was a result of consuming too much milk. Ick.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Bluets-You are lucky to have such a great DH!
It's only partly luck and partly the fact that I'm controlling (when it is important to me), determined, stubborn... some might even say bossy. Dh doesn't like cooking so he knows he sorta has to go along if he wants me to keep cooking for him.

There's a French saying "c'est moi qui port les pantalons" (it's I who wears the pants) that is truly a propos. He gets to take the lead in technology decisions but health and finances are my turf, though they really are all joint decisions in the end.

That pate recipes looks yummy. Might be one way for me to sneak squash AND liver into ds.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
I've made gf playdoh twice. Both times were flops. DD reacts to the gluten in her playdoh even on days when she isn't licking it :eyeroll: :

Anyone who has a good recipe for gf playdoh I am all ears.
yet another forum! http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index...howtopic=25621

Old 11-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I'm sure you've explored this, but what about a probiotic cultured on chickpeas? Natren Mega Dophilus is and it says it's dairy free. I haven't called the company to verify that it doesn't have trace wheat or soy, though.
Dd and I have chickpea allergies, so I didn't even look too far into it. She has healed to the point of being able to handle them, but I don't want to push it for him.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Dd and I have chickpea allergies, so I didn't even look too far into it. She has healed to the point of being able to handle them, but I don't want to push it for him.
Have you checked into customprobiotics.com? They say they're dairy free but I don't know what they're originally started with...but their probiotics are very concentrated (albeit expensive) so if they were started on dairy I would think there'd still be less of it in their products than in any other brand on the market. On their website it says 1 gram of the bifidus infantis has 400 billion CFU's...the Solaray BabyLife I use has roughly 5 billion CFU's per gram.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 PM

Haven't tried to make it yet...

1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup maize cornflour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon wheat free cornflour
a few drops of food colouring

Mix all ingredients together and cook over a low heat until mixture forms a dough. Cool slightly before kneading.

Samantha

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004
Old 11-08-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyofPunkiePie View Post
Haven't tried to make it yet...

1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 cup maize cornflour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon wheat free cornflour
a few drops of food colouring

Mix all ingredients together and cook over a low heat until mixture forms a dough. Cool slightly before kneading.

Samantha
At this point I'm only willing to try a recipe someone else can attest to. I've spent too much time energy and money into gf flops

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 11-08-2006, 07:48 PM

Ii am going out of town to NYC for 3 days next week and I am torn about diet while I am away. I am going to try to go gluten free on top of SCD, but a week before a trip is not a great time to do it. I am thinking of just eating healthfully and giving myself a breather, but not confining myself to SCD. DS is not coming with me. I just couldn't work it out. I have been pumping extra for 2 months to save up for this trip, and I think I have enough milk for him. It is hard to let go of the constant worrying about diet.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:55 PM

Kefir- 2 days into water kefir and my poo has firmed up very nicely, we don't talk about poo much now that Jane is away . I let the kefir sit for 1.5 days and it is still really sweet for me. I used agave nectar for the first batch, cane sugar for the second. I have some Rapadura and molassas, would those make it less sweet?

Old 11-08-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Kefir- 2 days into water kefir and my poo has firmed up very nicely, we don't talk about poo much now that Jane is away . I let the kefir sit for 1.5 days and it is still really sweet for me. I used agave nectar for the first batch, cane sugar for the second. I have some Rapadura and molassas, would those make it less sweet?
take this with some salt - not a water kefir expert here...

could you just use less sweetener?

Old 11-08-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
ff - my dd was only going every 8 days when I hit my wit's end. At that point I was completely dairy, wheat, egg, and soy free and following SCD. I finally decided to try some probiotics even though I know how the ones that aren't grown on dairy still start as as dairy. So, I started doing BabyLife every am and Natren Bifido Factor every pm, and after 2 days she started pooping at least once a day, and sometimes twice, and has ever since. It is normal except that it doesn't have the seeds/curds (still working on that). Every now and then I miss a dose for whatever reason, and she still goes UNLESS I miss 2 days in a row (only let this happen once). May be a no-go for you because of the chickpea issue, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
ff - my dd was only going every 8 days when I hit my wit's end. At that point I was completely dairy, wheat, egg, and soy free and following SCD. I finally decided to try some probiotics even though I know how the ones that aren't grown on dairy still start as as dairy. So, I started doing BabyLife every am and Natren Bifido Factor every pm, and after 2 days she started pooping at least once a day, and sometimes twice, and has ever since. It is normal except that it doesn't have the seeds/curds (still working on that). Every now and then I miss a dose for whatever reason, and she still goes UNLESS I miss 2 days in a row (only let this happen once). May be a no-go for you because of the chickpea issue, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Would this work with a 15 month old? DS has the every 7-9 days pooping, too.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:00 AM

Quote:
How much sweetener do you use? I use 4 Tbsp/per quart of liquid. Usually it takes 36-48 hours for it to be somewhat sour. Also, the more grains you have in it the faster they will eat up the sugar. Rapadura works fine although I didn't notice a difference in sweetness between that and agave nectar. I would molasses would give it a pretty strong flavor but I haven't tried it.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn View Post
Would this work with a 15 month old? DS has the every 7-9 days pooping, too.
My DD has never gone that long between poops, but she was only pooping roughly every 3 days...after I added CLO and CO to her diet she started going every day. She's also been going even more frequently (often more than once a day) since I upped her probiotic intake.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
How much sweetener do you use? I use 4 Tbsp/per quart of liquid. Usually it takes 36-48 hours for it to be somewhat sour. Also, the more grains you have in it the faster they will eat up the sugar. Rapadura works fine although I didn't notice a difference in sweetness between that and agave nectar. I would molasses would give it a pretty strong flavor but I haven't tried it.
Ahh, I will try less sweetner, and leaving the grains in for longer. Making kefir takes practice just like everything else...

Old 11-09-2006, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Ii am going out of town to NYC for 3 days next week and I am torn about diet while I am away. I am going to try to go gluten free on top of SCD, but a week before a trip is not a great time to do it. I am thinking of just eating healthfully and giving myself a breather, but not confining myself to SCD. DS is not coming with me. I just couldn't work it out. I have been pumping extra for 2 months to save up for this trip, and I think I have enough milk for him. It is hard to let go of the constant worrying about diet.
s

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 11-09-2006, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
WHen this was happening, did it start at birth? When she went, what was it like? How much was there?

I know a probiotic will make a difference, but his dairy allergy is so severe, and I don't want to chance things that we have tested allergic to in this family already. I may need to just suck it up though. I don't know which would be worse, getting probiotics that he's allergic to, or not getting any at all.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:07 AM

Quote:
WHen this was happening, did it start at birth? When she went, what was it like? How much was there?

I know a probiotic will make a difference, but his dairy allergy is so severe, and I don't want to chance things that we have tested allergic to in this family already. I may need to just suck it up though. I don't know which would be worse, getting probiotics that he's allergic to, or not getting any at all.
Some crazy ideas, perhaps: What if you tried to give him plain water kefir? I understand if you don't want to pump extra milk to make BM kefir. I know its *really* early, but what about growing water kefir in prune juice and giving him a spoonful?

Old 11-09-2006, 02:44 AM

Nolansmum, I am in NYC. If I can help you in any way while you are here, give me a shout. I am not doing SCD, but maybe I can help in some way. You are always welcome for dinner.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:50 AM

DD2 had some severe constipation a few times. She was young -- under 18 months I would say. This really was constipation, and not just going a few days without pooping. She was in real pain. I saw a therapist for a treatment for me, who sold sold me Grainfield probiotic. I gave DD as much as I could get into her (2-3 t?, if that?) and she pooped shortly after that. Course, I don't know if the ingredients are problematic for any of you (oats, grains, etc), but just as far as a probiotic helping with this stuff...

User Tag List