Healing the Gut Tribe - November! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
Annikate-too much of one (mag in your case?) simply means not enough of another. It's a balancing act. If I were you I'd start supplementing potassium and keep up with the mag. Let us know how it goes!
You could try getting more calcium in your diet, too, and see what happens. There are several herbal teas/infusions that are really high in calcium (alfalfa, nettle, red clover, red raspberry...I'm sure there's others, too).
#182 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 11:46 AM

milk thistle--I don't know if infusions are the preferred way of taking it or not, it's just what I prefer. The spearmint does help the taste although I don't mind the taste of plain milk thistle--it's just kind of bland. Annikate, you would probably need to add more spearmint than I do to get your DD to drink it, or try other nice-tasting herbs with it like red raspberry leaf or rosehips. My DD will drink it but she'll drink small amounts of anything I'm drinking, no matter how horrible I think it tastes!
#183 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 11:46 AM

Yes, tinkering all around will help. Mushrooms are high in potassium, as are strawberries...there are tons of food sources. I'm bummed. When I first started working with Natural Vitality the had a product that was a balanced blend of cal/mag/potassium. I haven't gotten any good answers as to why they dropped it.

Ditto on the infusions caedmyn mentioned.
#184 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 11:47 AM

Milk thistle-I just put it into my smoothie. painless.
#185 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Milk thistle-I just put it into my smoothie. painless.
The stuff from Kirkman's must be really strong because dd could detect it in anything. And she's usually a good sport about taking supps.

I never tried it myself.
#186 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 12:33 PM

Help! I started SCD 3 days ago and restarted my Lyme antibiotics and now I am having panic-attack feelings and go through little bouts of mild depression for the past 2 days!!: Is this die-off of yeast and Lyme together? An allergic reaction? I started hard cheese and eggs about a week ago. I had quit them before because my IgG blood test said that I was allergic. I never noticed anything when I elimated and challeged milk before though.

Please help me! I hate feeling this way!
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#187 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post
Help! I started SCD 3 days ago and restarted my Lyme antibiotics and now I am having panic-attack feelings and go through little bouts of mild depression for the past 2 days!!: Is this die-off of yeast and Lyme together? An allergic reaction? I started hard cheese and eggs about a week ago. I had quit them before because my IgG blood test said that I was allergic. I never noticed anything when I elimated and challeged milk before though.

Jen
This happened to me during die-off, too, and it was bad. For me, it lasted about 2 weeks, though I still have some bouts on and off. The most effective thing I found was taking LOTS of vitamin c. I used 2 different forms - 1) straight sodium ascorbate (I use the one by NOW) with a separate bioflavanoid (I think I use Life Extension) and 2) amla.

It got so bad at times that I thought I was going to jump out of my skin. I also found that I started picking fights with DH - I think I just needed an outlet to get the agitation out. I have never had panic attacks or serious depression, so this was a whole new experience for me, and not a good one. I also found myself repeating "that which does not kill us makes us stronger" a whole lot.

Good luck!
#188 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
After the meconium passed, she had one normal poop (with curds/seeds) and then the pattern of rarely pooping started. So, I guess the technical answer is it started about one week after birth, though for the first month to a month and a half, she would go every 4-5 days. Then at about 6 weeks (I'm going off memory here - I'm a work and don't have my poop log in front of me ) it moved to about every 6-8 days.
You have a poop log? Wow, that takes dedication. I wish I had kept something, and had known more about what baby poop should look like. I might have headed of ds's problems early on. You're such a great mama!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#189 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
So do you just try to get that much from foods or do you supplement?
At this point I do not suppliment. I also don't count mg's. I just go by how I feel. I'm probably still low but there is only so much I can do if you kwim. I am working harder than ever on getting bone broths into us though. Should be easier now that winter is here. Soup sounds better on a cold day than a hot one.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#190 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama View Post

Jen
What helped me was supporting my liver. I take two suppliments to support liver detox. K-10 Metacrin-DX and K-11 Bilemin. They really work well and I get feeling better within a few hours of starting them up again. (I keep stopping taking them because I think I don't need them anymore.: ) Both are by apex energetics

In fact I need to order more now...

our family is <>< and :
#191 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 02:09 PM

How do you do an infusion again? Oh, and where can you get milk thistle to make an infusion with? It's good for the liver as well.

#192 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 02:12 PM

I have a question about raw milk. What is it exactly? Is it milk straight from the cow? Or is there something done to it? Some of our neighbors have cattle, but they don't sell milk to the public. If I were to ask them for raw milk, what would I be getting?

Thanks!
#193 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
What helped me was supporting my liver. I take two suppliments to support liver detox. K-10 Metacrin-DX and K-11 Bilemin. They really work well and I get feeling better within a few hours of starting them up again. (I keep stopping taking them because I think I don't need them anymore.: ) Both are by apex energetics

In fact I need to order more now...
'
Are these both ok for breastfeeding? I know I need to focus on my liver - just haven't had the brainpower to deal with it yet. I haven't tested, but I suspect that I have hit ketosis at least some during my time on SCD (especially since I've lost a lot of weight - albeit postpartum - and without trying).
#194 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 02:25 PM

This is a recipe that MT posted for potassium broth. It has SCD illegals but you are not actually eating the potato skin, so many here may be able to tolerate it.

Quote:
Potassium broth
Use ONLY organic vegetables, otherwise sprays will be concentrated.

I only use what I grow myself. I chop everything really fine to reduce cooking time...

I have two different recipes. We grow our own potatoes and carrots, and if they are peeled, then the peelings are kept and used all the time as base for soup stock, as they are high in potassium
Whatever size the pot I try and get this balance. I decide the depth I want, using 2/3rd the height of the pot.

1/2 the pot = potato peelings;carrot peelings and tops;beetroot and tops.
next 1/4 = chopped onions; some cloves of garlic. (If I'm feeling an infection come on, lots of garlic)
Last quarter celery including green leaves, parsley incl stalks, and assorted dark greens including edible weeds. C

If you want 2 or more Habanero or Scotch Bonnet peppers, but I hate them. Some people swear by it, but I'm not into rocket fuel in my soup.

Cover with decent water and simmer 1/2 - 1 hour. Turn off and leave to cool.

Strain.

A more precise recipe would include something like:
3 to 4 Carrots, 3 Stalks Celery, 1/2 Bunch Parsley, 2 Potatoes with skins, 1/2 Head Cabbage, 1 Onion, and 1/2 Bunch Broccoli.

I sometimes add in a leek.

Simmer covered 30 minutes. Strain and discard solids.
If you want, add 2 teasp. Bragg Liquid Aminos or 1 teasp. Miso. Store in the fridge, covered.

Potassium broth recipes are NOT an exact science and can be modified to suit tastes. Some people for instance, cannot stand celery taste in any form.

We create our own reality.
#195 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAfton View Post
I have a question about raw milk. What is it exactly? Is it milk straight from the cow? Or is there something done to it? Some of our neighbors have cattle, but they don't sell milk to the public. If I were to ask them for raw milk, what would I be getting?

Thanks!
Mama, you are so lucky!!! Yup, raw milk is just straight up from the cow. Are they willing to give/sell it to you?

We create our own reality.
#196 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Mama, you are so lucky!!! Yup, raw milk is just straight up from the cow. Are they willing to give/sell it to you?
:

Read about the benefits at www.realmilk.com As long as they are sanitary in their milk handing it will be a great benefit to your diet. Epecially yogurt made form raw milk--that's like hitting the enzyme and probiotic jackpot!!!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#197 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
'
Are these both ok for breastfeeding? I know I need to focus on my liver - just haven't had the brainpower to deal with it yet. I haven't tested, but I suspect that I have hit ketosis at least some during my time on SCD (especially since I've lost a lot of weight - albeit postpartum - and without trying).
According to my chiro it is. I honestly don't remember if I looked up the ingredients or not on this one. (I usually do.)

our family is <>< and :
#198 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
How do you do an infusion again? Oh, and where can you get milk thistle to make an infusion with? It's good for the liver as well.
You can get milk thistle seed at HFS (check the bulk section if they have one) and online...www.mountainroseherbs.com has good prices.

Infusions: use 1 oz of dried herbs. For roots and bark, pour 2 c. boiling water over herbs and steep, covered, for at least 8 hours. For leaves, pour 4 c. boiling water over herbs and steep, covered, for at least 4 hours. For seeds, pour 2 c. boiling water over herbs and steep, covered, for not more than 30 minutes.
#199 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 08:02 PM

How do you measure 1 oz?

#200 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
How do you measure 1 oz?
I just bought an 8 oz scale at the HFS An ounce of milk thistle is roughly two Tbsp...when I make it tomorrow I'll measure it and see exactly how much it is. An ounce of a leaf is roughly one cup, and I think an ounce of bark is roughly two Tbsp, also.
#201 of 484 Old 11-10-2006, 08:32 PM

my personal favorite stuffing:

1/2 diced onion
1/2 large Portobello mushroom or several small raw mushrooms diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 ounce almond flour
2 spinach leaves shredded
1/2 red sweet pepper, diced
oil
Heat oil in skillet and add vegetables and garlic.
Cook until tender.
Stir in almond flour, lower heat and cook, stirring until almond flour browns.

Variations: add sage, thyme or other single poultry spices, diced dried fruit and/or nut pieces.

I promised this a couple of days age. It's from pecanbread so it's SCD legal. We love it.
#202 of 484 Old 11-11-2006, 05:22 PM

I gave dd some pineapple and cantaloupe the other day. (I have since realized that those fruits can be very "reactive".) Anyway, she got a rash around her mouth and the skin around her eyes turned red. Also, she got dark circles under her eyes. I thought those kinds of allergic reactions were IgE mediated. Not sure what to make of it since our food intolerances have been (at least, I think due to the leaky gut stuff) IgG mediated. I just know that I am beyond frustrated with all of this and I really wish I *knew* something. Anything.

So, for those of you who have gone to see an allergist (and since this allergist is an MD), do you mention any of your knowledge/concerns about IgG allergies and leaky gut and all these non-mainstream ideas, or should I just ask for dd to be tested?

On a somewhat unrelated note, I'm also ordering some Bifidus today because I've been giving dd Reuteri and Culturelle, but she's still mostly bf (even though she's 15 mths old) and I wonder if I haven't done some inadvertent damage : I just don't know if I'm doing the right things and I feel like I'm failing dd by "experimenting" on her.
#203 of 484 Old 11-11-2006, 05:46 PM

Sorry you're having such a hard time! That can be an IgG reaction too.

I never saw an allergist, so I can't answer. All of our tests were done by our docs. FWIW my ds was blood tested and allergic to both pineapple and cantaloupe-both IgG.
#204 of 484 Old 11-11-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
I gave dd some pineapple and cantaloupe the other day. (I have since realized that those fruits can be very "reactive".) Anyway, she got a rash around her mouth and the skin around her eyes turned red. Also, she got dark circles under her eyes. I thought those kinds of allergic reactions were IgE mediated. Not sure what to make of it since our food intolerances have been (at least, I think due to the leaky gut stuff) IgG mediated. I just know that I am beyond frustrated with all of this and I really wish I *knew* something. Anything.

So, for those of you who have gone to see an allergist (and since this allergist is an MD), do you mention any of your knowledge/concerns about IgG allergies and leaky gut and all these non-mainstream ideas, or should I just ask for dd to be tested?

On a somewhat unrelated note, I'm also ordering some Bifidus today because I've been giving dd Reuteri and Culturelle, but she's still mostly bf (even though she's 15 mths old) and I wonder if I haven't done some inadvertent damage : I just don't know if I'm doing the right things and I feel like I'm failing dd by "experimenting" on her.

Dd's allergist (who turned out to be a quack but at least agreed to do the testing) actually drew me a diagram and explained the leaky gut theory - even though he didn't call it that. I wouldn't have mentioned it if he hadn't. We went to him for one thing and for one thing only: To have dd tested. We opted for the RAST because it seemed easier on dd.

Are you positive it was the fruits that she reacted to and not something that *you* ate?

Good luck on Monday.
#205 of 484 Old 11-11-2006, 05:59 PM

Yogurt makers...a question. Is there any method to the madness of heating your medium on the stove top? I use a dehydrator which keeps excellent temp to make yogurt. Is there a reason I couldn't add my culture to the medium and stick it in the dehydrator? Room temp certainly won't kill the bugs, it would just take a bit longer to come to temp. This would work, right? I mean, I'd still end up with yogurt at the end. Help me make my life easier, please? Are you actually gaining anything by heating the medium, removing a bit, dissolving culture and combining?
#206 of 484 Old 11-11-2006, 06:20 PM

x-posted:

So many people ask about different brands of supplements here. Do you think it would be worth creating a sticky of accepetable brands? You know Sodium Ascorbate: brand X,Y,and Z. CLO: brand X,Y,Z. Probiotics etc... Have we done that already? I'm thinking no, as I'm getting alot of pm's asking this question. It would be alot easier if the info were readily available-wouldn't it?
#207 of 484 Old 11-11-2006, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
x-posted:

So many people ask about different brands of supplements here. Do you think it would be worth creating a sticky of accepetable brands? You know Sodium Ascorbate: brand X,Y,and Z. CLO: brand X,Y,Z. Probiotics etc... Have we done that already? I'm thinking no, as I'm getting alot of pm's asking this question. It would be alot easier if the info were readily available-wouldn't it?
we don't have that anywhere but it would probably be very helpful for a lot of people.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#208 of 484 Old 11-11-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Yogurt makers...a question. Is there any method to the madness of heating your medium on the stove top? I use a dehydrator which keeps excellent temp to make yogurt. Is there a reason I couldn't add my culture to the medium and stick it in the dehydrator? Room temp certainly won't kill the bugs, it would just take a bit longer to come to temp. This would work, right? I mean, I'd still end up with yogurt at the end. Help me make my life easier, please? Are you actually gaining anything by heating the medium, removing a bit, dissolving culture and combining?
That should work with yogurt as a starter. That has never occurred to me but with raw yogurt it shouldn't be a problem. Stick it in at any point really.

With powder the issue would be getting it to dissolve well. It's harder to monitor it in a half gallon or more of fluid than it is in a cup full.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#209 of 484 Old 11-11-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post

Dd's allergist (who turned out to be a quack but at least agreed to do the testing) actually drew me a diagram and explained the leaky gut theory - even though he didn't call it that. I wouldn't have mentioned it if he hadn't. We went to him for one thing and for one thing only: To have dd tested. We opted for the RAST because it seemed easier on dd.

Are you positive it was the fruits that she reacted to and not something that *you* ate?

Good luck on Monday.
DD and I and avoid the exact same things. The only thing we'd eaten out of the ordinary was the cantaloupe and pineapple, but who knows.

Thanks for your comments on the allergist. My goal is also just testing-I'm not interested in meds.
#210 of 484 Old 11-11-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry you're having such a hard time! That can be an IgG reaction too.

I never saw an allergist, so I can't answer. All of our tests were done by our docs. FWIW my ds was blood tested and allergic to both pineapple and cantaloupe-both IgG.
Thx. I'm really hoping we can get the bloodtest (ELISA, right?).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page