Healing the Gut Tribe - November! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-13-2006, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Patty-not many options left! This is from enzymestuff and I have not tried it. What about putting it in chocolate? You could make your own with CO, sweetener of choice, and cocoa powder; add the herbs and then freeze on wax paper.

We create our own reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 11:44 AM

How about some kombucha jello!?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:25 PM

I'm trying to assess what should be my goal for my 5 mo old's reflux/yakking. In the beginning, she would projectile vomit often, it was really smelly, and there was lots of it. We were at the changing clothes 10-12 times a day place in life, and I would not think of leaving the house without 5 extra outfits for her and 2 for me ('m not joking). Obviously this is not right.

Now I've eliminated all dairy, eggs, and am following scd, and things are a million times better. But I'm trying to figure out what my goal should be as I introduce foods (all scd legal, but just things that I haven't tried yet). Is a little yak ok or should the goal be none? My Mom, who is very supportive generally but not into all this nutrition/food/scd stuff, keeps gently nudging that maybe my goals/expectations are unrealistic. "Babies spit up," she says. So, I have the angel and devil fighting on my shoulders - IS some spit up ok or is this a case, as ff says, where it may be common, but it is not normal?

I feel pretty confident with my assessment on poop and gas, but I'm struggling with the spit up issue.

thanks for any insight or opinions!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
To all those dealing with reflux in a baby: Any good links for information about it? I have a friend whose 7 week old has severe reflux, and is on zantac for it. The baby is having a hard time sleeping, and is generally very fussy. She has cut out dairy, but I don't think she's tried other allergens. She also has a two year old, so I know she doesn't have a lot of time to research this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chinese Pistache: Pineapple can cause problems because of both the acidity and the protease enzymes in it (can't remember the exact name -- maybe bromelane?). My hubby has both food intolerances and also know oral allergic reactions where his throat closes up. Pineapple and several nuts do this to him. Cantelope often has mold in it, and is not allowed on many anti-yeast diets, so that could account for the dark circles.
Like others, this is what brought me here, too. Life got magically better for us after I cut out all dairy, eggs, and started following scd (minus eggs and dairy, of course). I have a just turned three year old, and time has been a challenge, but I wasn't willing to do zantac til I tried my diet first. It was a long road of acceptance for me that I was the problem, and that I could cut out all these allergens and actually emotionally survive, but now I'm here, and well, life is better than it was at the beginning. PM me if you want more on what I did/learned along the way.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
I'm trying to assess what should be my goal for my 5 mo old's reflux/yakking. In the beginning, she would projectile vomit often, it was really smelly, and there was lots of it. We were at the changing clothes 10-12 times a day place in life, and I would not think of leaving the house without 5 extra outfits for her and 2 for me ('m not joking). Obviously this is not right.

Now I've eliminated all dairy, eggs, and am following scd, and things are a million times better. But I'm trying to figure out what my goal should be as I introduce foods (all scd legal, but just things that I haven't tried yet). Is a little yak ok or should the goal be none? My Mom, who is very supportive generally but not into all this nutrition/food/scd stuff, keeps gently nudging that maybe my goals/expectations are unrealistic. "Babies spit up," she says. So, I have the angel and devil fighting on my shoulders - IS some spit up ok or is this a case, as ff says, where it may be common, but it is not normal?

I feel pretty confident with my assessment on poop and gas, but I'm struggling with the spit up issue.

I don't know, I'm not comfortable with any baby *spit up* that is chunky or has a horrible smell. (This is what my dd's was like. And like your babe we changed clothes many many times daily.)

I don't really think that dd *grew out of it* like some people suggest. I do know that it got significantly better once the wheat/gluten was gone but when I look back it got worse again when she was taking Safe Start swim lessons. We later found out just how terrible chlorine is for gut flora.

Once we stopped her swim lessons, the spitting up stopped.

If I only knew then what I know now . . .
Old 11-13-2006, 06:20 PM

I am wanting to get a yogurt maker for christmas and didnt know if anyone had any luck making the 24 hr yogurt with this yogurt maker

I am really going to be giving SCD another try starting in January. I want to get past all the holiday food thing first
Old 11-13-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker View Post
I am wanting to get a yogurt maker for christmas and didnt know if anyone had any luck making the 24 hr yogurt with this yogurt maker
That's the one I used when I did the SCD.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
We later found out just how terrible chlorine is for gut flora.
our building (at work) uses a cooling tower to chill some of the growth chambers (some rooms scientists use for growing/storing things without windows and are kept at constant temperature). the cooling tower is adjacent to the air intake for the HVAC system that feeds our office. every time they overdose that darn cooling tower with CHLORINE, our room smells like a swimming pool. dh has noticed that whenever they overdose, he gets a flare up of his seborrheic dermatitis (at least, that is what it was diagnosed as by the dermatologist before we made this connection). moreover, when we started showering with chlorine filters on the showerhead, his skin really cleared up.

one of our coworkers is so sensitive to chlorine that, when they overdose, she can't come into our office (we had to relocate her to another office in the adjacent building!) - she gets nauseous and lightheaded, even pukey on a bad day.

don't underestimate the bad effects of chlorine.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 11-13-2006, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
IS some spit up ok or is this a case, as ff says, where it may be common, but it is not normal?
my ds rarely spit up. i think i can count on my one hand the number of times he spit up. i doubt spit up is normal in a b'fed baby.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 11-13-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker View Post

I am really going to be giving SCD another try starting in January. I want to get past all the holiday food thing first
We used that one. One major alteration though, esp if you will be using raw milk. We put quart canning jars into the yogurt maker instead of the plastic insert and left off the top completely. That kept it from getting too hot. If you don't do that sometimes it would get too hot and kill the culture and I would end up with curds and whey esp in the summer.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
Old 11-13-2006, 06:34 PM

DD had her first NAET clearing today. I went for dairy because that will make our lives so much easier. While we were there she had a reaction to the elmers glue she was playing with (rash all over her hands.): Is there gluten in glue? She has had contact issues with gluten before.

our family is <>< and :
Old 11-13-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
DD had her first NAET clearing today. I went for dairy because that will make our lives so much easier. While we were there she had a reaction to the elmers glue she was playing with (rash all over her hands.): Is there gluten in glue? She has had contact issues with gluten before.
: you know what Patty? I think I DO remember reading once that there is gluten in glue. I'd like to know for sure though. If you find out pls. lmk and I'll do the same.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:49 PM

It was elmers washable glue. According to a couple of sites it is gluten free. Great, another allergy.:

our family is <>< and :
Old 11-13-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
my ds rarely spit up. i think i can count on my one hand the number of times he spit up. i doubt spit up is normal in a b'fed baby.
In infants spitting up issomewhat normal (and common!) because of the way the epiglottis (flap at the top of hte digestive tract) is developing. This spit up shouldn't really happen when the baby is upright, and shouldn't happen past a month or so as the sphincters start to mature. IF an infant eats a bellyfull and is laid on the floor and spits up, that is absolutely normal. THe chunky, smelly stuff never is.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
In infants spitting up issomewhat normal (and common!) because of the way the epiglottis (flap at the top of hte digestive tract) is developing. This spit up shouldn't really happen when the baby is upright, and shouldn't happen past a month or so as the sphincters start to mature. IF an infant eats a bellyfull and is laid on the floor and spits up, that is absolutely normal. THe chunky, smelly stuff never is.
So what does it mean if DD still spits up every once in a while? It seems to be normal baby spit-up.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
I don't know, I'm not comfortable with any baby *spit up* that is chunky or has a horrible smell. (This is what my dd's was like. And like your babe we changed clothes many many times daily.)

I don't really think that dd *grew out of it* like some people suggest. I do know that it got significantly better once the wheat/gluten was gone but when I look back it got worse again when she was taking Safe Start swim lessons. We later found out just how terrible chlorine is for gut flora.

Once we stopped her swim lessons, the spitting up stopped.

If I only knew then what I know now . . .
In most cases kiddos DON'T grow out of these things, the symptoms jsut manifest differently. You have heard the stories, spitting up miraculously stops and people get all excited because "dd grew out of her dairy allergy, she doesn't vomit anymore!" Then a month later they're lamenting about the eczema, ADHD or bed wetting. I get very wary when people say their kids just grew out of allergies.

LLL-At 5 months I wouldn't want to be seeing spit up anymore unless is was a viral thing. NOt that I'd WANT to see it then, but you get my point. Spit up is not something to be overlooked at that age IMO.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
So what does it mean if DD still spits up every once in a while? It seems to be normal baby spit-up.

Define once in a while. IF it's once a day. No. Once a week, I'd personally be looking for the cause. Once a month-I'd likely be ignoring it depending on the age of the kiddo. IF my ds were doing it once a month at 4 months of age and everything else looked perfect I'd be fine. IF my dd were doing it once a month at 2.5 years and everything else looked fine I'd be looking for a reason.

IF what you are seeing is infrequent and looks just like breastmilk coming back up, or is a tiny bit curdy it's probably fine. What's the frequency and how old is your dd now? I know I ask you this all the time...
Old 11-13-2006, 07:55 PM

Okay-10 months, I just looked at your signature. How often?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:

My DS spit up a lot too, the dr's all said it was normal. When I went on SCD it went away, until I would eat something I couldn't digest and he would spit up. When DS started his first solids, he spit it up and I knew he wasn't ready for them. I would introduce them cautiously and start later than 6 months. I personally would want minimal, if any spit up. How much does she spit up now? I don't think your goals are unrealistic, I think people have agendas (every baby eats rice cereal...)

Old 11-13-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:
We used that one. One major alteration though, esp if you will be using raw milk. We put quart canning jars into the yogurt maker instead of the plastic insert and left off the top completely. That kept it from getting too hot. If you don't do that sometimes it would get too hot and kill the culture and I would end up with curds and whey esp in the summer.
I did the same, but I added water between the jar and the yogurt maker.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Okay-10 months, I just looked at your signature. How often?
Maybe once every week or two. It's definitely just normal baby spit-up in appearance and smell. Could pressure on her tummy cause her to spit up? It always happens when she's in a position where pressure could have been put on her stomach, although I can't ever say definitely that pressure was put on her stomach.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
good to know. thanks for the tip!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
My DS spit up a lot too, the dr's all said it was normal. When I went on SCD it went away, until I would eat something I couldn't digest and he would spit up. When DS started his first solids, he spit it up and I knew he wasn't ready for them. I would introduce them cautiously and start later than 6 months. I personally would want minimal, if any spit up. How much does she spit up now? I don't think your goals are unrealistic, I think people have agendas (every baby eats rice cereal...)
Even on her worst days now, she only spits up a bit every now and then. But it is usually the chunkier, stinky kind, so I'm not ok with it. What really got me thinking about this was that we went an entire 5 days with none at all. I mean none. Then this weekend it started back. In looking over my food journals, I think it was either palm oil, raw apple, or almond flour. I'm leaning more towards thinking it was the palm oil or almond flour, even though I really don't want to believe that (because I love using both of them). This whole food log process is so iterative - I really thought both of those were safe foods, but then I got busy and didn't have time to bake anything all last week, which is the first time she was at zero spit up for any amount of time. So, I'm going to stay away from all 3 of them for a while and see what happens, and then test them again (one at a time, this time!). Ahhhh, I'm so sick of meat and zucchini.

Thanks to all of you for your help, once again!
Old 11-14-2006, 06:47 PM

Ds is getting worse. I started giving him some solids in his feeds. First banana, which he stayed the same for nearly a week, then a rash started on his bum. Several red splotches that get crusty/peely, then fade and flare again. Ped says it's not related to the bananas b/c it took a bit to show up. So I waited a bit (after my mom reminded me my sis was quite allergic to bananas as a child ) then did butternut squash. No change. Then I started jarred turkey (I know, I know, but it has to go through the tube and I don't have a good enough blender) b/c his nutritionist wants meats for iron. Been doing that for about a week, and yesterday/today he has a big red ring around the anus. I guess I should cut the solids and see if this stuff resolves.

The good news is they cut back his feeds again, so even with cutting back pumping I should be able to keep up with him, so I could now try diet changes. Last time I posted people seemed to think that eliminating foods wasn't worth the time/effort. I'm thinking I'll start SCD after Thanksgiving.

Here's what's holding me back:
1. Worried about increasing my nut and egg intake, in case that's what he's reacting to. As I've posted before, I need my protein sources.

2. The openendedness. I saw on pecanbread that some people decided to do 10 days, or a month and saw results. How short of a goal could I set myself and realistically expect to see if it's helping? 2 months?

3. How do you know how quickly to add foods? The only symptoms we have are eczema, and mild constipation. So I do 2-3 days on intro, and then what?

Sorry for the length.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Even on her worst days now, she only spits up a bit every now and then. But it is usually the chunkier, stinky kind, so I'm not ok with it. What really got me thinking about this was that we went an entire 5 days with none at all. I mean none. Then this weekend it started back. In looking over my food journals, I think it was either palm oil, raw apple, or almond flour. I'm leaning more towards thinking it was the palm oil or almond flour, even though I really don't want to believe that (because I love using both of them). This whole food log process is so iterative - I really thought both of those were safe foods, but then I got busy and didn't have time to bake anything all last week, which is the first time she was at zero spit up for any amount of time. So, I'm going to stay away from all 3 of them for a while and see what happens, and then test them again (one at a time, this time!). Ahhhh, I'm so sick of meat and zucchini.

Thanks to all of you for your help, once again!
I hear ya with the food journal, I keep studying my food journals to find patterns. And I am sooo sick of meat and veggies. Can you start with nut butters? They are easier to digest than nut flour. Glad the spit up is getting under control.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
Maybe once every week or two. It's definitely just normal baby spit-up in appearance and smell. Could pressure on her tummy cause her to spit up? It always happens when she's in a position where pressure could have been put on her stomach, although I can't ever say definitely that pressure was put on her stomach.

I wouldn't be worrying about that-especially with the pressure on the belly! It sounds fine. How does she sleep? Back or front?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be worrying about that-especially with the pressure on the belly! It sounds fine. How does she sleep? Back or front?
Generally on her back--whenever she rolls onto her stomach she automatically pushes herself up, wakes herself up, and cries.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:18 PM

I started giving DD coconut oil and coconut milk kefir again a few days ago...I think the coconut kefir might be causing die-off in her as she's had loose stools the last couple of days. Her eczema seems to alternate days between looking better and looking worse, so I don't think she is reacting to the coconut.

If the eczema's reacting to something in my diet, like wheat, would it take a few days for the reaction to clear, or could her cheeks look better after just a day of me not eating the food? Or if the reaction clears up that fast, could it be that whatever I'm eating is feeding her yeast and that makes the eczema look worse for a day?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:19 PM

interesting. I double checked (not using a name or anything for confidentiality purposes) with an LC who sat the boards the first time they were given. She has been doing this forever and is the best of the best as far as I'm concerned. She's brilliant. My feeling was that this was fine. She agreed, however she asked if the baby slept on her front or back. She said that the whole "Back to Sleep" campaign was one of the reasons we are seeing more refluxing. Apparently even twenty years ago there just weren't a fraction of the cases that we see now. She was adamant that having a baby sleep on it's back was a major reason (aside from food allergies, and oversupply) that we are seeing so much refluxing-that it may even be a cause for some of the structural stuff that's out of whack.

Take it for what it's worth. I've never had my kids sleep on their backs, but Emrys often rolls onto his back after nursing and if I am not awake enough to flip him he does spit up far more. I never made this connection before. I just assumed that I wasn't as aware of it becasue it's not as audible (no choking sounds.) I really didn't think about it enough to realize the bed was more wet if he was on his back...but it is. I just knew I didn't want my kids on their backs!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama-a-llama View Post
Here's what's holding me back:
1. Worried about increasing my nut and egg intake, in case that's what he's reacting to. As I've posted before, I need my protein sources.

2. The openendedness. I saw on pecanbread that some people decided to do 10 days, or a month and saw results. How short of a goal could I set myself and realistically expect to see if it's helping? 2 months?

3. How do you know how quickly to add foods? The only symptoms we have are eczema, and mild constipation. So I do 2-3 days on intro, and then what?

Sorry for the length.
Personally I think you should see results in a month if the SCD is going to help you. I did it for a little over two months before abandoning it but I had a pretty good idea after a month that it wasn't doing much for us.

You need to add foods slowly enough that you can tell whether a particular food is causing a reaction. It's hard, though, because the foods are so limited at first. So you might add several foods that are low on the allergen scale the first week, and then one new foods every few days after that, for instance. It's really just trial and error, unfortunately.

You could try the SCD with just one nut or just eggs for a bit and see how that goes. Keep in mind, though, that all reactions aren't necessarily bad or a reason to stop a particular food. You/your baby can heal even if you don't avoid allergens as long as they don't cause reactions you don't want to deal with (ie you might avoid a food that worsens his eczema but not one that gives him a mild diaper rash that doesn't seem to bother him). Some kids are so allergic they seem to react to every food that exists but they still heal on the diet without avoiding their allergens. Also, reactions can be due to healing or die-off, not necessarily allergies.

User Tag List