My son has a chronic yeast infection and I am at wits end - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 11-04-2006, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has been going on for almost 3 months. Twice it has gone away, almost, to return with a vengeance. So far we have:
  • Stopped using cloth until further notice. I use a strictly cotton, no gel sposie.
  • He often walks around neked, with no dipe at all.
  • Tried probiotics.
  • Eliminated wheat ans sugar for a while (we stopped this as of right now - it didn't seem to make a difference)
  • Chiropractic adjustments
  • Homepathic remedies (cal carb, sulphur and one other i don't know the name of at the moment)
  • Nystatin x 2
  • Some other scary stronger cream than nystatin, full tube.

Now its back and I am going to cry. WTF WTF WTF do I have to do???? My poor little guy is so uncomfortable and I am really sad and frustrated. Please help me. Please.
#2 of 44 Old 11-04-2006, 02:07 PM

Have you tried a probiotic suppliment, daily? They have 'probiotic pearls' that he could probably easily swallow, or 'chewable' tablets and even powders you can mix.

The 'old stand bys' are yogurt and kefir, with kefir having a wider spectrum of colonizing bacterias....but yogurt is usually easier to get children to consume.

The probiotic powder/pills might get the good bacteria into his digestive system faster. You could also use a plain (unsweetened), cultured yogurt to make a 'cream' for his bum. The good bacterias will outcompete the bad yeasts and help him to re-establish a balanced skin 'flora'.

If he's ever been on antibiotics, then he definitely needs to do a probiotic suppliment to help reestablish good intestinal flora. Also chlorinated water can deplete your good bacterial colonies in your intestines, making the use of probiotics a necessary thing on a daily basis.

Try putting some ground oatmeal in a sock or nylon stocking, and letting it soak in his bathwater. Also add in a container of plain, but cultured yogurt to the water, or the contents of one of the probiotic capsules they sell at most health food stores. This bath will be soothing and very helpful for painful, red skin or sores!

Another thing about probiotics, they can clear it up, but if you have a situation where it's returning, you need to continue the probiotics or use 'living kefir grains' to make your own to permanently help re-establish the correct intestinal colonies. Most yogurts and powders are 'transient' in nature, and will help only while you are taking/using them.

Good luck mamma!
#3 of 44 Old 11-04-2006, 02:29 PM

Hi Goodcents:

I'm so sorry for your little guy. Are you breastfeeding?? Could it be something in your diet?? (No idea, just a thought.)

Karla

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#4 of 44 Old 11-04-2006, 02:44 PM

I second the probiotics suggestion. I would use it internally and externally.
#5 of 44 Old 11-04-2006, 05:49 PM

boy, do I feel your pain DD has been going through the same thing since September. I've been doing the exact things you have.She was up from 2-5 am scratching like crazy last night. I took her, again, to the pediatrician this morning & asked for a dermatologist referral. She told me keep a diaper off as much as possible, use Nystatin 3x/day instead of twice & to use Triple Paste as well.
My homeopath a few weeks ago said to continue with the probiotic, (which I always have), limit sugar, (which I always do), to use Tree Tea Oil on it & put a cup of vinegar in her bath water.
Obviously, nothing is helping her & I'm at my wits end, too. I feel so bad for her . But, maybe some of these suggestions I was given could help your DS

Laurie, 43

Rob, 43

Erin, 7

#6 of 44 Old 11-04-2006, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My dd has had hers pretty much constantly since May. The ONLY thing so far that has been a big help is the TTO. I put it in her wipes water and since we have started using that, her rashes haven't ended up as big weeping bleeding welts.

I'm sorry I don't have more help to give.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 44 Old 11-04-2006, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I'm so sorry for your little guy. Are you breastfeeding?? Could it be something in your diet?? (No idea, just a thought.)
:

I know for me personally eating lots of dairy causes bad yeast infections. Over the years I have cut back on the dairy, high sugar in foods and started drinking lots of water. All of these things helped.

If all else fails, try modifying his diet. Maybe he is sensitive to dairy.
#8 of 44 Old 11-05-2006, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Its seems better today :

Its funny - I asked my dh if he thought it was my milk yesterday. I wonder as I do have a propensity to eat alot of dairy. Its so stressful!
#9 of 44 Old 11-05-2006, 03:22 PM

Dairy causes eczema and yeast rash in my dd. We're taking probiotics and enzymes. Oh, and vit C. She had antibiotics which began this whole nightmare. If your child is getting yeast rashes all the time, it's more than a superficial problem that can be cured with creams. You'll want to get to the root of it and address possible gut issues.
#10 of 44 Old 11-05-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
Dairy causes eczema and yeast rash in my dd. We're taking probiotics and enzymes. Oh, and vit C. She had antibiotics which began this whole nightmare. If your child is getting yeast rashes all the time, it's more than a superficial problem that can be cured with creams. You'll want to get to the root of it and address possible gut issues.

Exact same story here, minus the abx. It started with me and I passed it to her.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#11 of 44 Old 11-05-2006, 04:23 PM

i have battled thrush, here's some info from that fight: the yeast can multiply every half and hour. . . so i think you need to do an intense marathon treatment, every half an hour or as often as you can, alternating between different therapies. calendula is very antifungal, i used an infusion of it with added lavendar and tto as a wipes solution and spray successfully on a less severe yeast rash. also calendula oil and salves. enzymes, like candidase or candex taken internally really help. homeopathic borax. yogurt whey is amazing, and healing internally and on the skin. if i eat kefir, bathe my nipples in yogurt whey (not kefir whey it's more bracing), and take enzymes i have no thrush. now i'm wondering what would be the healing power of a cultured medicinal infusion. . . like, an infusion of chamomile and calendula, somehow cultured with water kefir grains? hmmm. . . .
#12 of 44 Old 11-06-2006, 05:36 PM

my daughter use to to get horrible bleeding yeast infections.. The only thing I found to cure it was a lotion called Renew I got from Melalueca and I used theior goldbar, also i use melalueca oil in cornstarch after the the open sores healed. I haven't had a problem since then and it's been two years. We baddled for along time untill I found Melalueca.com . Also a drop in bath water.
#13 of 44 Old 11-07-2006, 01:10 AM

How old is he? I second the kefir. I got the yeasties after a course of antibiotics, and drinking a bunch of kefir cleared it right up.
#14 of 44 Old 11-07-2006, 10:16 AM

Is there completely non-dairy Kefir? Dd's rash is back full force I am assuming due to Halloween goodies.

#15 of 44 Old 11-07-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw826 View Post
Is there completely non-dairy Kefir? Dd's rash is back full force I am assuming due to Halloween goodies.
Um, I don't think so. I don't think the probiotics would live in something else. I guess "dairy" is the whole idea of it.
#16 of 44 Old 11-07-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
Um, I don't think so. I don't think the probiotics would live in something else. I guess "dairy" is the whole idea of it.
There absolutely is a dairy free kefir. I make it all the time. You can't buy it at a store though. You have to get the grains and make your own with sugar water. There is a sticky at the top of the traditional foods forum that can help you find the grains if you are so inclined.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#17 of 44 Old 11-07-2006, 02:25 PM

Wouldn't sugar water just make things worse?

#18 of 44 Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimim View Post
There absolutely is a dairy free kefir. I make it all the time. You can't buy it at a store though. You have to get the grains and make your own with sugar water. There is a sticky at the top of the traditional foods forum that can help you find the grains if you are so inclined.
Weird. I had never heard of it. I guess it's sort of like that dairy-free cheese?
#19 of 44 Old 11-07-2006, 06:24 PM

I actually put yogurt and probiotics on his private area every night before bed- worked in a few days - hasn't come back since - worth a try
#20 of 44 Old 11-07-2006, 06:31 PM

The sugar water or juice used for making 'water kefir' is used up by the kefir grains, in making the probiotics.

So if you brew it long enough to not really be sweet, no sugar issues. It's food for the grains, not you, unless you brew it short for a slightly sweet flavor to get them to drink it.

I have tons of water kefir grains, but am not shipping atm, due to impending birth of baby. I'll be shipping them again, for shipping cost, probably in January. There are ALOT of moms on here that have them though, if you can sweet talk one of them into shipping.
#21 of 44 Old 11-08-2006, 06:58 AM

What about using yogurt? I know douching or inserting it for adult women helps...
#22 of 44 Old 11-08-2006, 02:23 PM

I have made a paste of water and probiotic powder and put it on a yeast rash that wouldn't go away before. But that was when dd was in cloth, in disposables I would put something over it like a cloth wipe or something before putting the dipe back on because as it dries it can make the diaper stick and that could tear the delicate skin. Unless you put it on him and put a towel under him so it could dry on his bum but not stick to the diaper.

Cut dairy out of your diet as much as possible and when you put him in the tub put a little bit of vinegar in there, no soap on his diaper area at all until it heals.
#23 of 44 Old 11-09-2006, 12:08 AM

I can ship you some, they multiply, so I have some extra I just need someone to tell me how to ship live kefir grains, I have no idea! Also, there is a great book by Klaus Kauffman called 'Kefir Rediscovered!' I bought it about 10 years ago. It seems hard to find nowadays, but I just ordered one for my brother from True Foods Market website.

Laurie, 43

Rob, 43

Erin, 7

#24 of 44 Old 11-09-2006, 07:36 AM

Also you can make kefir out of young coconut water

http://bodyecology.com/coconutkefir.php
#25 of 44 Old 11-09-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahariz View Post
Also you can make kefir out of young coconut water

http://bodyecology.com/coconutkefir.php
Where in the world would I get young coconut water?

roblauerin, I might take up your offer. :

Isn't vinegar not supposed to be used? Isn't it yeasty or something? I know on the candida diet we went on, we were NOT supposed to have any. So putting it on a yeast rash I can't see helping. Do you have more info on that? I use ACV for everything, so it would be convenient.

#26 of 44 Old 11-09-2006, 10:22 AM

How old is your son? When he is potty trained, it should be all better. I kept telling my son, "no more diaper rash"

Have you had his blood sugar checked? It is really easy if you have friend with a diabetes test kit.

And if you think _your_dairy consumption might be an issues, you can switch to soy milk or rice milk for a few weeks. I love the Silk soy milk, though chocolate silk leaves a permanent stain on clothing.
#27 of 44 Old 11-09-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post
I love the Silk soy milk, though chocolate silk leaves a permanent stain on clothing.
Yes, it does. Sunning helps a little, though.

#28 of 44 Old 11-09-2006, 03:41 PM

hmm, I'll have to try the paste thing. DD's rash was doing really well until I put Wedela Diaper Cream on it yesterday. Now her butt & vagina look sunburned & she was up all night crying & scratching She scratched so much 'up there' she started to bleed a little She also now has little yeasties around her tummy. She's not a good eater & even worse at drinking anything, so I know that's not helping. I have to chase her around with a syringe to get fluids into her. Am at a total loss, I have tried everything.

Laurie, 43

Rob, 43

Erin, 7

#29 of 44 Old 11-09-2006, 07:05 PM

quick, help! I am so sorry for hijacking this thread, please forgive me. I took Erin back to the ped becasue when she woke from her nap, she pulled her diaper off & scratched so much her whole vagina & labia were so red a swollen. I asked for an anti itch cream & they told me there wasn't one: Thay made an emergency appt with a dermatolgist for tomorrow at noon. They said they will most likely put her on steroids! WTH? Anyway, IS there something I can put on her for the itching? There has got to be something, right? I don't feel good about putting her on any meds, let alone steroids. WWYD?

Laurie, 43

Rob, 43

Erin, 7

#30 of 44 Old 11-09-2006, 11:33 PM

Try some yogurt. It is REALLY nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page