Cracked Ear Lobe Issues
I suffer from this, and personally don't know its source.
Here is a list of similar afflictions I deal with or have dealt with (I am a 34 year-old white male who has drank & smoked off and on in life):
BTW - I've had these things flux in and out of my life, and didn't smoke or drink until after my mid twenties. Drinking and smoking relate to this somewhat, as they influence your hygiene level / motivation to stay clean, and your hydration and ph. But drinking a ton of water isn't going to keep your skin on your face from burning/itching/scratching because you haven't shampoo'd or cleaned it in a while. Some of it is common sense.
TLDR version is: You should leave your ears alone and let them heal themselves. The crust needs to build up, the damaged/raw/open skin underneath needs probably a week to become normal again, and then the crust should just fall off. Similar to the pain in Satchel Paige's shoulder as he threw a slider down home plate, pre-emptively wincing at the assumed pain he'd experience: But nothing. It was a miracle. And so shall ye be a miracle with your ears.
- dermatisis of the face / nose. I had to get hydrocortisone with ionoquinol 5%, it feels GOOD to apply it, whereas moisturizers burn like hell. Don't put arbitrary stuff on it.
- dermatitis of the EYELASHES: This one was weird. People just thought I was sleepy. I had an overproduction of something causing the liquid in my eyes to dry up on my eyelashes, leaving 'sleep', or that gross shit. It falls under the family of crusty shit on your head you secretly get off on removing yourself instead of going to a doctor.
- dermatitis of the inner ear: just inner-ear crust. not unlike the stuff along the lower earlobe. The dermatitis of the face/nose only happened on my face and only while I was about 23
- eyebrow dandruff - Just kind of annoying. Nothing crazy, but I notice. As a smoker I like to remove the oil/residue leftover from the smoke.
- dermatitis of the facial hair: If I don't shampoo my facial hair (including my eyebrows, just lightly) I will accumulate dandruff and my skin reddens. It becomes irritated. The hair follicles themselves, if they happen to touch my skin, start to irritate it because it feels raw. This is from now washing my facial hair off correctly on a regular basis and can be avoided prety easily.
- dandruff: If I don't shower for a while (several days) or if I shower way too often with excess hot water, it can happen. The goal is to shower once a day without needing to do anything extreme. If you don't know if you use hot water, you probably do, and could stand to turn the temperature down to experiment with it for a few days to see if the scalp feels better.
- THIS EAR SHIT. On my earlobe. Man, it's annoying.
- I visited a doctor who investigated, he said that I should NOT wash it or use soap on this type of issue. He said that the soap / water can destroy the healing of the molecules in the area.
- Do not fuck with it. The stimulation alone feels like it causes it to spread: The crackling buildup others have described in this thread is not unlike mine, I deal with this as well. I spent all weekend in, inside, letting it crust up to just let it heal. constantly picking / removing "excess" platelets that have formed just rips away the healing tissue.
The goal is to feel nothing there - no pain, no relief, not anything. Guard your ears from getting eat or from letting anything touch it. Water would be okay ph-wise, but it will
physically/chemically alter the healed tissue and erode it away, which is bad. Soap should burn: keep it away. I think you actually have to just wait this one out.
You can visit a doctor who can give you cream to let it heal quickly, which is good if your girlfriend likes to make out with your ear and you don't want to offer her your home-made Rice Krispy treat (fuck that is so gross) - or you can do it the old fashioned way. Or, rather, the way for old people who are stubborn pieces of shit: Just sit around and do absolutely nothing. It's actually better than actively cleaning and removing detritus from it, because that detritus is your plasma-blood trying to body-heal your stupid-ear.
Last edited by crissaegrim; 08-15-2016 at 10:19 AM.