Mothering Forum banner

Back Pain - Advice Please?!

509 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Lolly2006 
#1 ·
Starting yesterday, I developed severe back pain on my right side
: which is radiating to my lower ribs - It hurts to the point that I am having difficulty lifting baby up and putting her down into her crib - It's okay when she is in my arms but moving about is very, very uncomfortable. I went to the Doc this evening to make sure it wasn't a kidney infection and he basically said it was muscle strain probably from the pregnancy/birth trauma on the body. He couldn't really prescribe anything as I am b/feeding (well EPing) - I did ask him for advice on strengthening my back...

Just wondering if anyone else has suffered from the above (I am 10.5 weeks post e-c-section - first (and possibly last the way things are going
pregnancy)...getting pretty fed up - I feel like an invalid! Any suggestions on how to deal with this - what works for others? Your help would be much appreciated....

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't have a lot of advice but I had a LOT of back pain after my baby was born. It could be that your spine is out of alignment. If that's the case, an adjustment from a chiropracter would do wonders. (At least, it did for me anyway.) Otherwise, maybe it could be adhesions developing from the surgery. I had to have a c also and have frequent, very painful "side stitches" (for lack of a better term) where it'll hurt from just walking down the hall. I'm told those are probably adhesions.

If you don't get many answers here, try ICAN - the ladies on the forum there have tons of information/advice/resources related to cesarean recovery and post-surgery "complications" and can probably help better than me!

#5 ·
Hi,
A few things come to mind (as a chronic back-pain and pain-in-the-back!):

1.) Oftentimes, post-childbirth, women need Chondroitin (sp?). I think it's okay to breast feed with that, but check!

2.) There are gentle stretches to do while in pain. Search on the web or ask your dr. for a back-stretch handout. These truly help. Once the pain is gone, be sure to do the strengthening stretches.

3.) You can get some good relief from a topical analgesic -- mainstream ones are IcyHot and BenGay. I like the oily ones from the health food store. There's one with a tiger on the label that works great.

4.) Use your knees to really bend! Be sure not to put extra stress on your back.

The back is often very weakened as a result of weakened abdominals. If you can work in some crunches or just ab clenches -- like while you're unloading the dishwasher -- this will really help.

peace,
teastaigh

#6 ·
Go raibh maith agut (thank you in Gaelic) Teastaigh!

I do think this back pain is due to the birth and several incidents (like slipping when I was throwing water out the back yard, sneezing awkwardly, jumping back from cold water in the shower and finally tripping over my jeans - is KLUTZ my middle name?)...

Last night was awful - I literally could not turn baby on her side in the crib (which she likes to do) so DH had to take over - I was in tears! However, it seems when I am up and about, the pain is not so bad (THANK GOD!)... You don't realize how much you use your back until it decides not to work for you!

I will definitely try the exercises and am going to get out for a walk today - I know I have been too sedentary since DD was born....

Thanks again - Slan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.