Anyone here have any experience with oil pulling/swishing (OP) therapy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2006, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a link, for those of you who have NO idea what I'm talking about:

Oil Pulling Therapy

I have read many accounts of people finding this therapy effective in healing everything from obesity (it's purported to increase metabolism astronomically) to dermatitis to luekemia. I have to say that in some way it makes sense to me, but in other ways, it seems completely out in left field. And I'm also not too keen on the idea of the oils used (cold-pressed sunflower or sesame oil), though one isn't ingesting them, so that makes it slightly less off-putting.

Guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this? I'm tempted to try it (as a general health cure, and specifically to treat psoriasis) simply becase I can't see any downside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not heard of it, but am personally quite skeptical of anyone who makes such sweeping claims without research and double-blind studies to back them up. I read through the site you linked to, and found a few things that made no sense to me;

"If one were to see one drop of this liquid magnified 600 times under a microscope, one would see microbes in their first stage of development."

If you looked at ANYTHING you spit out of your mouth you'd see microbes in the first as well as all the other stages of development- your mouth is full of microbes.

Also,

"Through this method it is possible to heal individual cells, cell conglomerates such as lymph nodes and more complex tissues such as internal organs simultaneously. This occurs because the beneficial microflora throughout the body are provided with a healthy continuum. Without this natural bodily intrusive element evinced by the microflora the usual pattern of human health tends to lean towards illness rather than wellness. "

Wha...? So- how does having a "healthy continuum" for your microflora heal lymph nodes and organs and how exactly does this occur with this therapy? And I'm at a loss as to define a natural bodily intrusive element. This just sounds so much like pseudo-scientific doublespeak it makes me very doubtful about the claims made.

But, as you said, there's no real downside to trying. So if you get positive results, will you post them?

User Tag List