Anyone choose to not have insurance? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 33 Old 11-13-2006, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have insurance through DHs work and it's pretty decent, although the copays keep creeping up every year. Back when I was in college, I had insurance through my parents, but then when I quit college, I was uninsured for a short time. I could have paid for continued coverage for several months through the cobra plan, but I opted out. I figured I was healthy and it was not a big deal. I never went to the doctor except for a pap smear and birth control which I could get from planned parenthood. And it was only going to be about 3 months before I was married and would be under dh's insurance.

Well, wouldn't you know, that during that time was the only time in my life I ever had a serious medical occurrence. I fainted at the student union and wound up being taken by ambulance to the hospital ER and had a bunch of tests and stuff done. Between the ambulance cost and all the other costs, it was almost a thousand dollars. Needless to say that was way more expensive than the insurance extension would have been.

I guess I think it's a good thing to have some sort of insurance, even if it's only to cover serious expenses like hospital and such. You just never know if someone is going to have a serious injury or need surgery or something and then the costs can just about bankrupt you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 33 Old 11-13-2006, 03:45 PM

Insurance is like anything else, you usually don't need it, until the day you don't have it and then you REALLY NEED it...

I'm paying for life insurance atm, and every month I think, really...do we need this much coverage...and then I think of the horrible reality of what a SAHM with three kids would do if suddenly our income vanished....

The policy we have would definitely NOT 'take care of us' forever, but it would help during any 'transition period' I would have to go therough (ie, me getting a job again, selling the house and downscaling to something I could afford on my own, if DH was gone...)

We rarely go in to the doc after the first year of well baby visits. My kids don't get sick and neither do we. If we get a sore throat or sniffles, we self treat and it clears up. That doesn't mean we might not some day get really sick and need antibiotics or stronger meds other than OTC and 'chicken soup' home remedies!

I usually self treat and do preventative stuff. BUT in the rare instance of one of us contracting a serious illness or having an accident needing surgery, I'm glad we have it. I've ripped out my ACL and needed arthroscopy and I've done two hospital deliveries...and was GLAD for the insurance. Though I'm doing a home birth with baby #3 and was happy to pay out of pocket for it, as I think it'll be a better experience for me personally.

I also don't think anyone here has or was attacking anyone personally, just giving personal experiences with 'the establishment', which like any other system, has it own abuses and excesses. It is needed in many cases, but there are definitely examples where perhaps 'less could have been more', except that it lines someones pockets with a bit more $$. Health care reform is an entirely different animal and probably best left out of this thread!

Good luck on your decision to have or to have not, on the insurance issue! I have one sister currently without it, and her DH has diabetes and they are hurting $$ wise paying for all the meds. My sister needs meds too, but has been not getting them until they can get coverage again. So I understand the 'need' aspect for many folks!
#33 of 33 Old 11-13-2006, 03:55 PM

We are fully uninsured right now.

I have a traditional midwife for this pregnancy (paid through a barter)

We pay $99 a month for chiro care which is EVERY family member, once a week.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page