Infected cat bite, wwyd? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-13-2006, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my girls so well accustomed to treating our cats gently. Then the danged neighbor's kid started coming over, chasing them to pick them up and carry them. Now my girls are all over the cats like flies on honey. Thankfully, the cats have been remarkably patient. And, while my girls are constantly in their faces and bugging the snot out of the poor creatures, they're not being rough with them. But apparantly, dd2 did something to piss off one of our kitties yesterday. DH said it happened so fast, he didn't even realize the cat was there. She was rewarded with a chomp on the arm DH washed it and bundled it up with a cool wet towel for comfort, and when I got home she nursed and then seemed to be pretty comfortable with it. Today... the area around it is red and warm. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but I'm pretty freaked. We were at my Mom's house, and she right away ran for an arsenal of topical drugs for it. *grumble* most of them weren't even appropriate - nystatin, benedryl. I allowed her to put on some bacitracin, but doubted it would have much benefit since the wound itself is already closed.

So, what should we be doing for this? Should I call our ped about it? She's very holistic, usually advises homeopathics or herbs as a first line defense. I trust her opinion, if she actually says abx, it's for a darned good reason. But she keeps extremely short hours every week and even getting a phone consultation with her is tough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-13-2006, 03:37 AM

I would call your trusty ped. Cat's mouths are pretty dirty places ... so are their claws. My thought is hopefully you can catch this infection early and treat it naturally.
#3 of 10 Old 11-13-2006, 03:46 AM

oooh, I have been bit by cat (a very angry pet of mine) and didn't treat it quickly due to lack of insurance ... it got very bad very quickly but did respond to abx when I took them. The bite was on my hand.

I vote for calling the ped and of course, keeping a close eye on the site.

good luck!

B
#4 of 10 Old 11-13-2006, 06:41 AM

Cat bites are nasty, their teeth act like hypodermic needles, basically injecting bacteria in to the flesh. And since the teeth are so small, the wounds close and they don't have a way to drain. They really don't have any more bacteria in their mouths than any other animals, and the worse bite to get is actually from another human, but still cat bites are nothing to play around with.

I have a friend that got bitten by his cat 2 weeks ago and just washed it and went on about his day. The next day he had swelling and pain and went and got antibiotics. He is now in ICU in an oxygen tank being treated for flesh eating bacteria. Both his wife and I told him he needed to see a doctor much sooner, she is an RVT as well, but he was being a man : and thought he could handle a little cat bite.

I have worked in veterinary medicine for many years and have seen people get nerve damage and loose hands because of infected cat bites. I love cats (I have 5) but if I was every bitten by one I would not think twice about going to the emergency room with in minutes. With a bite, medical treatment should be immediate, even a few hours can make a huge difference. I hope everything turns out okay.
#5 of 10 Old 11-13-2006, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses. I had no idea that a cat bite could be that bad. I always worried more about dog bites, just because it seemed like a dog could do so much more physical damage. I'll call our ped when she opens at 9.

It does look like the infection has gone down. Her big sister plastered the whole area with bandaids last night after we put the bacitracin on it, and she won't let me take the bandaids off, so I can't see it clearly but the redness around the edges has diminished and when I lay my hand over the entire area I no longer feel a clear differentiation between the warm area and the cooler area. I'll bribe her to let me take the bandaids off when she comes downstairs for breakfast in a few minutes.
#6 of 10 Old 11-13-2006, 11:35 AM

Cat bites can cause some nasty cellulitis. I had several patients with cellulitis from cat bites. I would call your ped. The infection happens so fast!
#7 of 10 Old 11-13-2006, 12:45 PM

I'd definately call a doc, and get some antibiotics if needed. Cat scratch fever is a real thing, and I can tell you from my experience, it ain't pretty. Be on the lookout for swollen lymph nodes near the site of the bite and further up. It also responds well to abx. Good luck to your girl!
#8 of 10 Old 11-13-2006, 02:29 PM

Definitely call the dr! My grandmother had a pretty extreme situation but she got blood poisoning. They almost had to amputate her arm to save her life. Of course, she was in excruciating pain so I'm sure you would know if that's the case for your dc. But I would keep a very close eye on it and get some med advice.
#9 of 10 Old 11-13-2006, 03:48 PM

Definitely call, cat bites are notorious for causing some pretty severe infections of the skin. Seriously...

Won't go into detail, but yes, call and get treatment asap.
#10 of 10 Old 11-13-2006, 11:08 PM

I have had blood poisoning from a cat bite and was hospitalized for it.
I recommend having her arm looked at and some kind of preventative 'whatever' given orally. It is not fun.
I was bit by an outdoor cat, an indoor family pet might not be as dirty in the mouth.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page