Homeopathy while on the SCD diet - X-posted in Nutrition - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-14-2006, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had my very first appointment with a homeopath last Wednesday, where she prescribed arnica and sepia to help boost my efforts with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet diet for gut-healing and acne symptoms. I seem to be reacting (acne) to the remedies - can anyone help me by telling me what is usually in these rememdies? I'm particularly wondering if the alcohol typically used is one with sugar, such as rum or brandy....... I haven't called her yet, I'm giving it one more day after ceasing the rememdies to ensure that is what I was reacting to.

Any help?
#2 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 01:26 AM

If it's liquid, there is probably alcohol. If it is tablets, then there is lactose, which is dairy. You can dilute either in pure water and use that for dosing, but there is a specific way to do that. Ask your homeopath or do a search, I can't remember.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#3 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 01:32 AM

It could be brandy or vodka, it's often brandy. You can plus it, but it changes the potency.

If you are reacting it's likely the remedy is doing it's job. It often gets worse before it gets better. If you are concerned, you should call your homeopath.
#4 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
It could be brandy or vodka, it's often brandy. You can plus it, but it changes the potency.

If you are reacting it's likely the remedy is doing it's job. It often gets worse before it gets better. If you are concerned, you should call your homeopath.
I suspected it was brandy or rum.....I'm not sure that the rxn is a positive thing - I was rxn-free before starting the remedies, I was seeing her in hopes of supporting the healing that I was already doing. The rxn time was really consistent with me getting an "illegal". I'm going to call her today, I hope I don't have to abandon the remedies altogether. It's discouraging to be on SCD for 6.5 months and still be reacting so strongly......
#5 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I spoke with her, and she agreed with you that it's doing it's job. She also confirmed that there isn't anything in it that is on my illegal list (she uses vodka). It's hard for me to work within both paradigms of SCD and homeopathy, because my rxn to this would indicate that SCD was still hiding symptoms. She encouraged me to cut down on the dosage, but to keep persisting with the remedies. It's so hard for me to continue putting things in my body that put me in pain and make me feel so self-concious of my face :.

Did any of you use homeopathy while on SCD? Did you experience this as well?
My gut tells me not to continue the remedies because I feel so much better when I stop, but I can't tell if it's intuition or just stubborness.......
#6 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I agree with your homeopath, the remedy is working and you are detoxing. I would continue with the remedy and let the toxins come out. Better in than out IMO. Hang in there.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 06:02 PM

What homeopathy does is push your body into the bad territory so it can more easily recognize the problem and then fix it. IT often gets worse before it gets better, that's the idea. I have used homeopathy for years. I used it with the SCD. You need to look at this a bit differently. Homeopathy accelerated the healing, SCD wasn't hiding symptoms. I'll write more later...nak
#8 of 14 Old 11-16-2006, 12:35 AM

Hi...sorry to hyjack this thread but where can I get info on the SCD? Thanks!
#9 of 14 Old 11-16-2006, 03:06 AM

hello shana4000, how are you doing??... so you are one treatment for acne?? why dont try to go to 4litre af dring a day, use accutane with some dip into te salty water of the sea.
I am sure that you will find a benefit from this mixture with you homeophatic and scb.
You cou try different mixture and i am sure it will work right for you.
#10 of 14 Old 11-16-2006, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlutterBee View Post
Hi...sorry to hyjack this thread but where can I get info on the SCD? Thanks!
Hi Flutterbee - you can get more info than you ever wanted at the Healing the Gut Tribe. The info is overwhelming, so you might find the cheat sheet helpful before you dive in! The diet has a helpful homepage at http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurture View Post
hello shana4000, how are you doing??... so you are one treatment for acne?? why dont try to go to 4litre af dring a day, use accutane with some dip into te salty water of the sea.
I am sure that you will find a benefit from this mixture with you homeophatic and scb.You cou try different mixture and i am sure it will work right for you.
Most of your recs I'm already doing: water, SCD (for almost 7 months) and the homeopathy. The accutane is not an option for me, and personally I don't think it's a good option for any living thing. It's a really toxic way to address symptoms (and with mixed results, at that), and it really doesn't address what is wrong. Thanks for the salt water tip, I've never heard that before.
#11 of 14 Old 11-16-2006, 11:34 AM

What potency are you taking and how often? Sepia is probably the one that is aggravating with acne. I'm assuming it's low potency because of the physical aggravation. You could talk to your homeopath about taking a higher potency much les frequently, or you could cut back on how often you take a low potency.

The remedies would act independently of your diet.
#12 of 14 Old 11-16-2006, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot mama View Post
What potency are you taking and how often? Sepia is probably the one that is aggravating with acne. I'm assuming it's low potency because of the physical aggravation. You could talk to your homeopath about taking a higher potency much les frequently, or you could cut back on how often you take a low potency.

The remedies would act independently of your diet.
You're right, it was the sepia - jury is still out on whether the arnica will do the same. The potency is written on my bottles, which I don't have with me right now - I do know she was going "gentle" with me because of my pregnancy. I took my first dose of arnica last night, and am waiting to see if that aggravates it too. She advised me to cut down on the doses to 1X a week (from 2X a week for each). I'd like to do both the arnica and sepia in 1 day (one in the am, one in the pm) because it would limit my acne pain to just one outbreak a week. Am I right that there's no reason to not do this? I think I understood that they don't interact with each other, and she thought the arnica would help with the pain.

Thanks so much for all of the advice and support - I'm starting to feel more comfortable that I'm not regressing, which is how it was feeling. Homeopathy is such a mysterious thing to me, I've really just put myself in her hands.
#13 of 14 Old 11-16-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000 View Post
Hi Flutterbee - you can get more info than you ever wanted at the Healing the Gut Tribe. The info is overwhelming, so you might find the cheat sheet helpful before you dive in! The diet has a helpful homepage at http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/. Good luck!
Thanks!
#14 of 14 Old 11-16-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000 View Post
Am I right that there's no reason to not do this? I think I understood that they don't interact with each other, and she thought the arnica would help with the pain.
Arnica does a pretty good job of acting independently. I don't see a reason not to continue the remedies, as long as you are seeing progress. The acne may continue to show up, but you should expect that it would be better each time.

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page