Little whitehead-like bumps on the back of the arms? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Both of my children have this. It pretty much covers their tricep area. It doesn't seem to bother them, but it feels weird and I ache to pick at it.: When I have done a little picking (the one time DD let me), they seem like little whiteheads, but they don't get inflamed like a regular pimple, meaning they're not red. I remember my brother having these as a kid and my mom driving him nuts wanting to pick at them. What are they and what causes them? Anyone? TIA!
#2 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 01:02 PM

I have them also. I read somewhere that is a vitamin A defficiency. Let me do a little search. Be back....
I can't find the article.
I also read that it is considered a type of acne- http://beauty.about.com/od/skinflaws/f/whitebumps.htm

hth

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#3 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 01:06 PM

Sounds like keratosis pilaris.

My DD and I have it.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#4 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 03:13 PM

My son has it too and I get it sometimes as well. I read somewhere that using lotion with alpha-hydroxy acids in it can help.

And actually, my son gets things like this on his cheeks too. Does anyone know if this is the same thing (Keratosis pilaris)? He's only 6.5 so I can't see how it could be acne??
#5 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 03:32 PM

From the link I posted:

Quote:
It may occur in babies where it tends to be most obvious on the cheeks.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#6 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 03:36 PM

Search for keratosis pilaris on here and you'll find a variety of current and recent threads regarding use of vitamin A (natural) and omega 3 to treat KP. Note that I've tried alpha-hydroxy creams in the past with absolutely no success. I don't personally think that KP is something that can be healed form the outside.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#7 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 03:53 PM

I have this (keratosis pilaris), always have, and so does my son and my mother and sister and who knows who else. Definitely genetic, very common, and benign. It's a bit of an overgrowth of keratin around the hair follicles. I take cod liver oil or fish oil almost always and in fairly high doses, and haven't seen a change. I will say, as a picker, that it has charms of its own : , although I don't try it on my kids .
#8 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccohenou View Post
I will say, as a picker, that it has charms of its own :
Glad I'm not the only one :

#9 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 04:56 PM

I read before it is an Omega-3/6 def.
#10 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have had it since I was a kid, so do my kids and my ex's whole family. I doubt it's a vit A deficiency. I eat crazy amounts of vitamin A's naturally. Always have (when I had the chance). I have started taking Flax oil, but it hasn't helped so far.

My kids and I have this pretty mildly. My doc says it's just exczema or keratosis pilaris. We really have both, probably. The A hydroxy never really worked. Cutting out dairy has cut it down 99%, though.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#11 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 11:47 PM

I've had it since I was a kid. Sunlight helps it clear up, in my case. Exfoliation (scrubbie gloves) also seems to help.

Mine inexplicably cleared up after being GF for a year or so, but it returned with a vengeance during this pregnancy. (And no, it's not dermatitis herpetiformis, a rash which occurs with gluten intolerance.)

My dermatologist told me she felt it was one symptom of detox. I've lost weight with this pregnancy, so I may be shedding toxins with fat. Ah, well, better out (my skin) than in (the baby)!

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#12 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 11:50 PM

I was actually at the dermatologist on Monday for this. lol

I have keratosis pilaris...and so does Willow. I've had it since I was a little thing. It's a genetic issue (according the the doc) and it has something to do with the follicles being tighter around the hair shaft than normal...then you get build up and all that lovely stuff.

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#13 of 14 Old 11-15-2006, 11:51 PM

It could be a gluten allergy. My 7 year old has that every time I give her wheat, which she's gotten a lot lately: When she doesn't eat it, her skin is super soft and smooth.
#14 of 14 Old 11-16-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellbelle View Post
Glad I'm not the only one :
:

I find that consistent exfoliating helps. And, absolutely, 100%, NOT picking at it. sigh....back to hair twirling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page