2 year old - "wet" cough, fever, raspy breath - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2006, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2-yr old has a nasty wet, junky, productive cough (she's swallowing most of it though ), a low fever, and off-and-on raspy/wheezy breathing (more at night or nap), and a runny nose.

It's been going on for a couple of days now - vapour type stuff isn't helping at all (not Vicks, but a less pungent variety with no petroleum in it).

Is this just a cold ? I don't remember having a typical cold with a particularly productive cough - usually it's just dry and hacky.

She seems better during the day-time, when she's upright - she'll still cough and all, but not as often, and not as much - if that makes sense.

She does take a kids multi-vitamin (Flintstones) and extra Vitamin C already, and we're trying to push the liquids. She still nurses a few times a day - but there's just colostrum in right now, as I'm 37 weeks pregnant.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 04:45 PM

It sounds a bit like bronchitis; which more often than not, is caused by a virus. Colostrum is PERFECT for her because of its amazing concentration of antibodies.

If you or your partner can take a "shower bath" (run the shower, curtains closed with the drain plug in) with eucalyptus oil in the water, that should help with the secretions.

Because she is swallowing a lot of it, expect a nasty BM or two.

Sorry she's feeling badly!
Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would go to the dr. with a wheezy wet cough to be sure. I didnt go to the dr with my ds this FEB and then, at night, he had to be rushed to the ER as he stopped breathing and needed treatments for breathing. So, to be on safe side, Id go in.

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

Old 11-21-2006, 05:12 PM

This is going around. I have it. The cold becomes viral brochititis. Both my girls got the cold, one still has a cough occassionally. I have been about to cough my lungs onto the carpet.

There is a homeopathic syrup for dry or productive coughs. A humidier can help. A warm shower before bed might help loosen it up a bit.

The doctor should take a look at her. This sort of cough can become walking pneumonia. However, the brochitis can take a month to go away. Sorry. I feel terrible for your little one, this cough is horrid and I've been hoping that my children don't develop it because there is so little you can do about it.

User Tag List