Cracked Skin Under Toes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-22-2006, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I've been reading around the MDC message boards for a while now, but this is my first post. Usually I'm able to find someone else who has had the same issue that I've come here looking for, but this one's got me stumped!

This morning I was trimming my son's toenails (he's 17 mos.), and I felt something hard underneath one of his toes. I lifted up his toe to see that he has a large open cut, right along the crease where his toe meets his foot. It's pretty deep, red and raw in the center, and the edges of the skin are white-ish. Next to the cut on one side is a lump of hard, yellowed skin. It wasn't bleeding, but also did not look like it was "healing" (as in, it's not scabbed over at all.) It looks like it has been there at least a day.

This happened once before, over the summer. That time, I noticed it while giving him a bath. He had been playing outside barefoot, and I just assumed that he had cut his foot on something. (He's a pretty tough little guy and doesn't usually cry for more than 30 seconds if he hurts himself, so sometimes I don't even have time to figure out what happened before he's off and running again!) I kept an eye on it and tried to keep it as clean as possible. It took maybe 2 or 3 weeks to fully heal - longer than I would have thought, but it didn't look infected or seem to bother him at all, so I didn't worry too much. This time, I know for sure he couldn't have cut himself on anything - it's cold here and he's been wearing socks & slippers inside the house, and shoes anytime we go out.

Has anyone else experienced this with their child? If I had to hazard a guess, I would say it seems like he got a blister or something (maybe just a patch of really dry skin?) under his toe, and it just split open because the skin wasn't elastic enough. It doesn't seem to hurt him - he's running around like normal. He did pull his foot away when I was trying to get a look at it, but I don't know if it was because it hurt, or because I had just finished cutting his toenails and he was over me messing with his feet.

I suppose I'm just concerned about it getting infected, and wondering what could be causing this to happen? We have a regular Dr's appointment scheduled on Monday and I plan to ask the Ped. about it then, but wanted to see if any other mamas have any advice or experience to share.

Thanks!
#2 of 2 Old 11-22-2006, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 2.5 and he has had this for about the last 6 months so I will be watching this thread to see what comes up. Sorry I can't help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page