Tummy trouble in newborn - reflux? food allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2006, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is the background and symptoms:

DD#1 (now 20mo) was sensitive to dairy, soy, berries of all kinds, and eggs so I eliminated them for the first year of her life. She was also never officially diagnosed with reflux but did exhibit several of the symptoms. Now she is fine with all of these foods but I do not give her cow's milk as she is still nursing and I notice a red ring around her anus if she does have any.

DD#2 (1 mo on Friday) is EXTREMELY gassy (to the point where she is screaming in pain), spits up several times after feeding (I do have overactive letdown if that helps at all), and only poops once every few days (it is nice and yellow though - dd#1 had green mucousy poop with blood in it which tipped the ped off about the allergies). She also arches her back, gets hiccpus after every feed, and wants to nurse all.the.time. She has wet burps and it sound slike she is swallowing vomit sometimes if that makes sense. I have mostly cut dairy out of my diet but don't notice any change.

HELP! What do I do and where do I begin? My poor little girl - I will do anything to make her feel better!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2006, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

She is screamong...please help!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 AM

would you go to a GI dr and ask their suggestions? that is what I ending up having to do.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:56 PM

It's sooo hard to tease out what the cause would be. Have you started to cut out those things from your diet that your first child was allergic to? Allergies/sensitivities run in families. It could be that in a couple of weeks she'll be fine after those things are eliminated from your diet.

Reflux does not cause gas. So if she's gassy there's something else going on. Now, gas can cause reflux and she will exibit all of those reflux symptoms if she's eating stuff that bothers her.

How's your milk supply? Do you have overactive letdown or a generous supply? If so, you could have a lot of foremilk and that will cause gas and the other symptoms that follow. Try nursing fully with one breast until that breast is empty. Use that same breast for 3 hours worth of feedings. Then after 3 hours use the other breast the same way. That should help with any foremilk/hindmilk/too much milk problems.

If after you try all of that mentioned above and she's still really unhappy and having reflux symptoms, I would see a Ped GI. *Especially* if she's not eating as well as she used to. But don't let them talk you out of nursing.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

User Tag List