Healing the Gut Tribe-December - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 395 Old 12-21-2006, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
caedmyn-I remember you saying that your DD had a bad reaction to avocados when she ate a lot of them? They are high in amines so a little bit of it may not get a reaction but a lot of it will get a reaction.

Just a thought.

We create our own reality.
#362 of 395 Old 12-21-2006, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
caedmyn-I remember you saying that your DD had a bad reaction to avocados when she ate a lot of them? They are high in amines so a little bit of it may not get a reaction but a lot of it will get a reaction.

Just a thought.
I'm not sure if she had a reaction to them or not, but she didn't digest them. She only ate maybe a tsp and a half of them, so I wouldn't think that's a lot, but who knows. Is squash high in amines? She seems to do okay with butternut squash. What about nuts (walnuts or almonds), or cocoa? She reacts when I eat those.
#363 of 395 Old 12-21-2006, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
Corn! Great : Do you use SA? If you do, which brand do you use?
Honestly, I'm having the worst time finding safe Vitamin C. I heard that Phytopharmica is a safe supplier (at least, they're labeled really accurately and tell you where the ingredients come from). I'll poke around there today.
#364 of 395 Old 12-21-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I'm not sure if she had a reaction to them or not, but she didn't digest them. She only ate maybe a tsp and a half of them, so I wouldn't think that's a lot, but who knows. Is squash high in amines? She seems to do okay with butternut squash. What about nuts (walnuts or almonds), or cocoa? She reacts when I eat those.
Butternut squash is low in amines. Any soaked, sprouted or roasted nuts are high. Only 'nut' that is low are raw cashews. Here is a short list of high amine foods you may be eating:chocolate, coconut, CO, CLO, olive oil, any aged meat (ie most beef), lemons, , limes, sauerkraut, any fermented veggie, kefir that has been brewing a long time, eggplant, tomato, avocado, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, any fish not caught and eaten right away. Bananas too.

#365 of 395 Old 12-21-2006, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Butternut squash is low in amines. Any soaked, sprouted or roasted nuts are high. Only 'nut' that is low are raw cashews. Here is a short list of high amine foods you may be eating:chocolate, coconut, CO, CLO, olive oil, any aged meat (ie most beef), lemons, , limes, sauerkraut, any fermented veggie, kefir that has been brewing a long time, eggplant, tomato, avocado, spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, any fish not caught and eaten right away. Bananas too.
NM, in your reading on the amines/salicylates are you finding anything about who might be predisposed to being sensitive? Do you think it's a gut issue, one that could possibly be healed/cured with gut healing? I wonder if people who already have allergies are more prone to problems with a/s.

DD and I had red sweet peppers yesterday, and I ate some avocado last night. Her face is a bit red today and she has some red spots on her leg. I'm cutting out olive oil and using canola instead. I wonder if she'll be able to tolerate the higher a/s foods as her allergies get under control (hopefully, we're on our way to eliminating them as well as healing her gut). I have to look at Breaking the Vicious Cycle and see if any of these vegetables are listed as ones that cause gut damage, too.
#366 of 395 Old 12-22-2006, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
NM, in your reading on the amines/salicylates are you finding anything about who might be predisposed to being sensitive? Do you think it's a gut issue, one that could possibly be healed/cured with gut healing? I wonder if people who already have allergies are more prone to problems with a/s.
I don't know yet. Sensitivities come out in different ways in each person whether it be allergies or IBS. I never put the connection together before that my eczema and my migraines were related. I know that SCD has helped both, but SCD and I am only beginning to understand why.

I forgot to mention that strong scents of any kind have amines: perfume, essential oils, flowers.

#367 of 395 Old 12-22-2006, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That doesn't seem like DD's problem, then. She seems fine when she eats CO (maybe not coconut, though), CLO, and water kefirs. I eat a lot of the things on that list and the only things she seems to react to are chocolate (maybe) and coconut milk (maybe).

She reacted to something I ate last night, though--three very poopy, green, and slimy diapers since 2:30 am I think it is wheat, but if it is she reacts differently (much more strongly) to unsoaked whole wheat than she does to things made with white flour. Has anybody else found this to be the case with their DC? I wonder if the unsoaked WW is much harder to digest and so more of it makes it into the BM. I think I don't do well with unsoaked whole wheat, either. Besides some bloating afterwards (which would probably go away if I prepared my grains properly), I've noticed a couple of times that I have phlegm (sp?) in my throat the morning after I eat something with WW flour.
#368 of 395 Old 12-22-2006, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody have a link to a good list of gluten-containing/hidden gluten foods?
#369 of 395 Old 12-22-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
That doesn't seem like DD's problem, then. She seems fine when she eats CO (maybe not coconut, though), CLO, and water kefirs. I eat a lot of the things on that list and the only things she seems to react to are chocolate (maybe) and coconut milk (maybe).

She reacted to something I ate last night, though--three very poopy, green, and slimy diapers since 2:30 am I think it is wheat, but if it is she reacts differently (much more strongly) to unsoaked whole wheat than she does to things made with white flour. Has anybody else found this to be the case with their DC? I wonder if the unsoaked WW is much harder to digest and so more of it makes it into the BM. I think I don't do well with unsoaked whole wheat, either. Besides some bloating afterwards (which would probably go away if I prepared my grains properly), I've noticed a couple of times that I have phlegm (sp?) in my throat the morning after I eat something with WW flour.

I have only limited experience with it, but two times that I've cheated with white flour, dd has had very limited issues. When I cheated with ww flour, major reaction. I wasn't sure if it was a fluke or not, but thought it was interesting you found the same thing.
#370 of 395 Old 12-23-2006, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinLiviLou View Post
I have only limited experience with it, but two times that I've cheated with white flour, dd has had very limited issues. When I cheated with ww flour, major reaction. I wasn't sure if it was a fluke or not, but thought it was interesting you found the same thing.

Ditto back before we knew about CD. Makes sense as there's less proteins when it is refined.
#371 of 395 Old 12-23-2006, 05:27 PM

Hair test?

Who should I use to get DD tested?

Thanks.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#372 of 395 Old 12-23-2006, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any idea how to treat reflux in a baby? I think DD has reflux.
#373 of 395 Old 12-23-2006, 11:43 PM

cademyn - Im sorry about your dd : I dont know about reflux in babies, but I think there was a thread about it somewhat recently

Question - has anyone ever heard of the idea that taking probiotics can feed yeast? I have heard this in two places, one of whom muscle tested sach. boulardi on me about 2 mos ago and said that I had too much yeast for it to be effective, it would just feed them (I needed to kill more yeast first - nice). So I havent been worrying much about prob's, then started taking some yesterday. Well, the pthese two days Ive had strong carb cravings, which I dont usually have, and my tongue is more coated, and Im a little itchy. So now Im wondering - am I feeding them or is it die off. I cant beleieve that after 5 mos I seem to be in the same place - good lord.

mom to  dd1 (11) hearts.gif,  ds (9)bikenew.gif,  dd2 (6) dust.gif  , Daisy (4) dog2.gif
#374 of 395 Old 12-24-2006, 01:48 AM

Quote:
craniosacral therapy. we used it for both effectively. the three main causes of reflux are allergies, oversupply and structural problems. at this age (of your dd) I'd be looking at structural since you have dealt extensively with food issues. the two feed off each other. the more allergens you are exposed to the more your structure can shift to compensate. as your structure moves further out of whack your digestive system becomes less able to function properly. it's yet another vicious cycle.
#375 of 395 Old 12-24-2006, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
craniosacral therapy. we used it for both effectively. the three main causes of reflux are allergies, oversupply and structural problems. at this age (of your dd) I'd be looking at structural since you have dealt extensively with food issues. the two feed off each other. the more allergens you are exposed to the more your structure can shift to compensate. as your structure moves further out of whack your digestive system becomes less able to function properly. it's yet another vicious cycle.
In DD's case it's probably allergies then. She had one craniosacral therapy session a couple of weeks ago and the therapist said she was a tiny bit "full" on one side of her head and that was it, otherwise she was fine. So I don't think it's a structural issue with her, and since she seems to be reacting to an awful lot of the things I eat lately, it's probably allergies.
#376 of 395 Old 12-24-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
my 1yo as well. we're using enzymes and probiotics. might be just my imagination, but she is a lot happier this past week.

http://www.infantrefluxdisease.com/alternative.php

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#377 of 395 Old 12-24-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I'm having the worst time finding safe Vitamin C. I heard that Phytopharmica is a safe supplier (at least, they're labeled really accurately and tell you where the ingredients come from). I'll poke around there today.
I will check that out. I also found a link on the SA thread to allergen free SA. It is http://www.nutribiotic.com/
#378 of 395 Old 12-24-2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I think it is wheat, but if it is she reacts differently (much more strongly) to unsoaked whole wheat than she does to things made with white flour. Has anybody else found this to be the case with their DC?
Yes, my dd is like this. She has a gluten intolerance that is more mild when she eats the nasty processed stuff than when she eats the whole grain stuff. I agree with your theory, that the whole grains are harder to digest and therefore more of it "slips through," I kinda link this in my mind to leaky gut. But I don't think this makes the processed foods any more desirable to eat, they're so bad in all other ways.
#379 of 395 Old 12-24-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Anybody have a link to a good list of gluten-containing/hidden gluten foods?
I'm sorry that I don't, but I can tell you after living with dd's and my gluten intolerance for a year now, that if it's processed, it probably has gluten in it. If it's in a box or a bag and there's a list of ingredients, it's often a sure thing that there's gluten there unless it's labled gluten free.

We avoid processed foods as much as possible. Occasionally I'll buy bread, but only then at a hfs and gluten free specificially. Also noodles for dd, then I get a brown rice or a quiona/corn noodle. Also buckwheat is okay. You have to read lables to make sure things are safe. If I buy snacks and things for dd, I get only gluten free varieties. This gets really expensive really quick, so in a way it's a blessing because it forces us to eat whole foods.

Baking has been good for us instead of buying premade things.

As a basic starter, wheat, rye, spelt, kamut, and barley all contain gluten. Oats themselves do not contain gluten, but they are almost always processed in places where gluten-containing grains are also processed, so they're usually contaminated. Dd tolerates oats well despite this, although I try to give them in moderation. Someone with true celiac disease would get really sick just being around them, though. Rice, quiona, amaranth, and buckwheat do not contain gluten--there are others but these are the ones we use.

And RE your reflux question, it's likely an allergy. Get the gluten out of both of your systems and see if it improves. We saw a huge turnaround in dd's health once I realized it was bugging her.
#380 of 395 Old 12-25-2006, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Starting the first I'm going to do an elimination diet to hopefully figure out what DD is reacting to. I think she only has a wheat allergy/intolerance and not a gluten one, because I've made things with unsoaked whole grain barley flour a couple of times and she didn't have a reaction to that (that I could tell, anyway), only to the ww flour. Hopefully I'll have a better idea of exactly what she's reacting to after the elimination diet.

I'm afraid my with-holding solids from DD may make her have food aversions. She never used to be picky about textures but now if she touches something unusual or puts new textures in her mouth (banana, stuff she picks up off the floor, etc), she holds out her hand or sticks out her tongue and fusses for me to remove whatever it is she has. I made her a "cake" with mashed banana and coconut oil frosting for her birthday and she didn't even taste it, she just smeared it around on the table with her spoon. When she touched the banana she wanted it wiped off her right away.
#381 of 395 Old 12-25-2006, 07:43 PM

we were going to be starting SCD for the new year. I even got 2 cookbooks for christmas with grain free cooking. However we have recently found out that dd has almond allergies (also other tree nuts and peanuts) and all of the grain free recipes for baked goods have almond flour. is there anything else that I can substitute and still be SCD legal?
#382 of 395 Old 12-26-2006, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker View Post
we were going to be starting SCD for the new year. I even got 2 cookbooks for christmas with grain free cooking. However we have recently found out that dd has almond allergies (also other tree nuts and peanuts) and all of the grain free recipes for baked goods have almond flour. is there anything else that I can substitute and still be SCD legal?
I think coconut flour is SCD legal but an "advanced" food.
#383 of 395 Old 12-26-2006, 12:52 AM

Carey, I think Caedmyn is right, the only nut-free sub is coconut flour, and it's advanced. You can also make homemade bean flour by dehydrating cooked SCD legal beans, but that is also an advanced food and to be used sparingly. You might try doing gluten-free first?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#384 of 395 Old 12-26-2006, 01:00 AM

Quote:
My Nutribiotic says that is non-corn, non-GMO, and hypoallergenic. I get it at Whole Foods or my local Health Food Store. You can also order it from Vitaminlife.com but it's usually on back order there. There are probably other online sources. See: http://www.nutribiotic.com/index.html

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#385 of 395 Old 12-26-2006, 04:08 AM

Caedmyn, how does your dd react when she consumes wheat? I'm just curious since my dd mostly had eczema to show for her corn and dairy allergy. She also had weird bms, and even now, they're not completely normal, but it wasn't something that correlated strongly with her ingesting her allergen.
#386 of 395 Old 12-27-2006, 12:57 AM

I just filled the jars of my brand new yogurt maker with coconut yogurt and I'm SOOOO excited to see how it turns out tomorrow. Just had to share, lol!
#387 of 395 Old 12-27-2006, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Caedmyn, how does your dd react when she consumes wheat? I'm just curious since my dd mostly had eczema to show for her corn and dairy allergy. She also had weird bms, and even now, they're not completely normal, but it wasn't something that correlated strongly with her ingesting her allergen.
She's never had wheat, but when I ate it she had green poops in the middle of the night (and other times, too, but she doesn't normally poop in the middle of the night) and was very restless at night. She sometimes has eczema flare-ups because of things I eat but I don't think she did with wheat.
#388 of 395 Old 12-28-2006, 08:20 PM

Not really sure if this is the place to post this, but here goes. My dh has had ulcerative colitis 2x in ten years and always has pain in his stomach, so we've gone to the SCD. We don't follow it exactly, and I know it says you should, but his stomach aches are gone just from cutting out sugar and complex carbs. Plus we've started eating less meat and more nuts, veggies and legumes. I've also got him on probiotics. Now all of a sudden our ds has eczema on his face. Little patches on his upper lip, cheek, and the outside corner of his eye. I think its because of the dairy/sugar that I consume thats going thru the breastmilk.

We've been watching for a dairy allergy because our 1st dd had one. We breastfeed and he's only had sweet potatoes, avocado, pear and banana (then I found a website that says I should have waited w/ the banana) : We started foods earlier than we wanted (wanted to wait till 7mos or so) but he was ready. Tongue thrust gone, sitting up by himself, grabbing stuff of our plates and opening his mouth like a little bird anytime he saw food.

Long story short, I think he has a dairy allergy and now we have thrush for the 2nd time. I read that thrush and eczema are just a symptom of digestive issues. He seems to have sour smelling spit up after I've had a larger amt of dairy. And now I've been watching my dairy, not so much eliminated yet, but Im wondering if the eczema is caused by the dairy and my sugar intake.

So my question...is Splenda ok you think. We don't eat any sweetners or artificial colors, preservatives etc. So Im not sure if it would help w/ my cutting out sugar and dairy. We're not looking to follow the SCD to the letter, but would like to eat healthier and no sugar, no dairy.

Also, does anyone have any good veggie or sugar-free/dairy free recipes or links or great cookbooks to recommend. I know about pecanbread.com.

Thanks
#389 of 395 Old 12-29-2006, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

mommy2girlies--Thrush is a symptom of a yeast overgrowth. Eczema can be caused by yeast, too, or by food allergies, or by essential fatty acid deficit. Splenda's a chemical sweetener and I wouldn't use it. Stevia, while not SCD legal (but Splenda isn't either), is an herbal calorie-free sweetener you could try.

If you think dairy is causing your DS's problems, you need to eliminate it for several weeks--it takes up to 6 weeks for dairy to get out of your system. If that doesn't help or doesn't completely clear up the issues, you might want to consider a candida program with diet changes, anti-fungals or enzymes, and probiotics. The probiotics would be a good idea in any case.
#390 of 395 Old 12-29-2006, 01:43 PM

Can I join in this thread? I have ulcerative colitis and have been on/off steroids since the beginning of 2005. I have been nursing my 9 month old son with small amounts of solids given, no grains or dairy for him yet. I am currently not eating dairy or gluten, as recommended by my nutritionist. I was in remission from my colitis from June 06 until now, but I am currently trying to heal another flare. I think this flare was caused by taking diflucan for thrush I had a few months back. Basically, both my ds and I are in major need of healing. I also just found out that I am anemic with very low iron stores and my sed rate was high at 63, so I have a lot of inflammation that I need to control. Can't wait to chat with everyone!!

Melissa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page