Healing the Gut Tribe-December - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is SCD??????

If I make my own yogurt, do I still have to take a probiotic, or is the yogurt fine?

DD and I were on anbx's for the first few days after birth. : We are both battling thrush. It's been tough. :

What are the most important strains of bacteria for me to get?

DD is almost five months. What bacteria's should she be getting?

How do you make yogurt, kombucha, kefir, saurkraut, pickles, etc..... Links?

Thanks everone and again, please excuse my ignorance!
#122 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 08:14 AM

K, just did a quick search on SCD, a little more informed now.... I don't really have bloating, diarrhea, etc. We DO have yeast problems - majot ones. Would it be better for me to follow the Candida Diet?
#123 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
For those of you not doing dairy and not having your kids do dairy, how do you make sure they get enough calcium? I worry about cutting out dairy with ds, because he's already lost four teeth and has five other fillings. Of course, he probably wasn't absorbing any calcium from the dairy, nor was I. I want to continue with goat's milk for at least awhile, but it's so expensive there is no way I can provide enough to meet his calcium needs. Any suggestions for SCD legal calcium supplements?
I do bone broth every day and I also drink a couple of cups a day of high-calcium herbal infusions (nettle, alfalfa, red raspberry, or red clover).
#124 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 01:15 PM

Caedmyn-how do you make coconut milk kefir?

We create our own reality.
#125 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Caedmyn-how do you make coconut milk kefir?
I just use a can of coconut milk and add the grains...for me it gets really bubbly and strong fast so I only leave the grains in 12 hours and leave the kefir out for another 6-12 hours. It seems to brew a lot in the fridge, too, much more than the kefir sodas.
#126 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMommy View Post
What is SCD??????

If I make my own yogurt, do I still have to take a probiotic, or is the yogurt fine?

DD and I were on anbx's for the first few days after birth. : We are both battling thrush. It's been tough. :

IMO you should do a candida diet--it doesn't seem the SCD has worked very well for people whose primarily issue is yeast. If your DD is exclusively BF, she should have a probiotic containing bifidus infantis like Solaray BabyLife (dairy free) or Natren Life Start. If you are doing fermented foods I don't think you need to worry about strains for you. The books "Wild Fermentation" and "Nourishing Traditions" explain how to make different types of fermented foods, or if you post or search on the Traditional Foods forum there are directions there. I'm sorry, I don't have time right now to link anything for you.
#127 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

"Healing the gut" isn't working too well for DD--now she is reacting to tree nuts.: Guess it's a good thing I'm not doing the SCD. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have left well enough alone and just eliminated dairy--really she had fewer issues before I started trying to heal both of us.
#128 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
"Healing the gut" isn't working too well for DD--now she is reacting to tree nuts.: Guess it's a good thing I'm not doing the SCD. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have left well enough alone and just eliminated dairy--really she had fewer issues before I started trying to heal both of us.
i'm confused (and forgetful) - did you start out trying to heal just her? or you? and now you're trying to heal both of you simultaneously?

in our case, i'm focusing on me first - it's the easiest place to control. and, in fact, the most likely source of our issues. if ds were still EBF (i.e., no solids), i don't think i would even bother worrying about what to get in him (beyond probiotics); i would only worry about how my problems manifest themselves in him.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#129 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
That was one of the things I didn't like about SCD. All that nut consumption bothered me, given that I was ebf. They say you shouldn't introduce nuts to infants under 1, 2, or 3 years (depending on who you read). Personally, with our food allergy/leaky gut issues, I'm keeping all the big allergens out of our diet for now, even the ones that we haven't tested positive for. I'm just too scared that we'll develop new sensitivities. I haven't given up eggs and wheat or oats yet, but I will in a couple of weeks (we're going out of town, and I won't be able to do it until we get back).
#130 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
K, just did a quick search on SCD, a little more informed now.... I don't really have bloating, diarrhea, etc. We DO have yeast problems - majot ones. Would it be better for me to follow the Candida Diet?
We have big yeast problems, too, and SCD did not work well for us. The fruit seemed to exacerbate the yeast. Also, I don't like eating all of those nuts when I'm ebf and my dd already has some allergies. I'm trying to keep her clear of the big allergens for as long as possible.

We're switching to a more anti-candida diet in a couple weeks (after our trip). Also, dh got me a yogurt maker for Christmas, so we'll be making coconut milk yogurt with LOTS of good probiotics (the capsules you buy don't have nearly as many good bacteria as you can culture in your own yogurt).
#131 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
i'm confused (and forgetful) - did you start out trying to heal just her? or you? and now you're trying to heal both of you simultaneously?

in our case, i'm focusing on me first - it's the easiest place to control. and, in fact, the most likely source of our issues. if ds were still EBF (i.e., no solids), i don't think i would even bother worrying about what to get in him (beyond probiotics); i would only worry about how my problems manifest themselves in him.
I started mostly trying to heal her, but as I got into it I realized I had some issues, too. I am healing (obviously not enough, though, or she wouldn't react to stuff I eat). Now I am trying to heal both of us simultaneously, but focusing more on her. For me I'm just doing the stuff I've been doing since it seems to be working.

It became apparent to me a couple of months ago that just focusing on me wasn't going to help DD. I think that since she has yeast issues, even if I were completely healed she would still have to do her own separate healing plan to get rid of her yeast overgrowth. I'm trying to do a candida plan for her right now, with some extra things thrown in for gut healing, but she pretty much refuses to eat or drink anything consistently except probiotics, CLO (and she spit that out today), water, and nettle infusions.
#132 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Here's a thought: if your DS did well when you restarted the SCD, maybe you should consider doing an actual candida diet. Maybe he's having difficulty with something in the SCD. When I switched from the SCD to the candida diet, it was a bit hard at first while I figured out what to eat, but in some ways it was easier--I started eating salads right away, and I'd never worked up to uncooked veggies on the SCD. I also started eating other veggies that I hadn't worked up to on the SCD.

Also, if you feel overwhelmed there is nothing wrong with taking a break for a bit. You could stop the supplements for a week or two, or eat any SCD legal foods, or eat non SCD foods that you know he can tolerate...that sort of thing. Sometimes we really need a bit of a mental break to get the energy to keep working on all this.

Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3peanuts View Post
Thanks Chinese pistache,

I think my biggest problem is needing to cut sugar out of my diet.

Yes, you should definitly cut sugar out!

I admitingly do not have healthy eating habits and sugar is a big part of my diet. I'm finding it hard to cut dairy/eggs out as well because cheese & dairy have been large parts of my diet. I feel like I'm making my way to eating nothing!!

Ok here is my story in short (I hope). I use to smoke, quit over a year ago. Before that I started getting ezcema and 1 big toe nail fungal and I also am hypothyroid. I drank coffee ALOT!! and sugar FORGET-ABOUT-IT, my sugar addition got worse after I stopped smoking (no suprise). Then I broke a tooth with an amalgam filling, and had 2 tooth abcesses on 2 other teeth (had root canal on them). I was on antibiotic's on and off 4 times within a year and 2x prior to that. I also had a tetenus shot (new I shouldn't do it but scared of lockjaw, next time I am going to take my chances I had way more symptoms than they said I would get from the shot, I thought I was going to die, really) and more antibiotic. Oh yea, totally bad eating habits (I mean JUNK) along with stress. Well, all said, I had itchy rash, skin flaking /dry tight, hot feeling,and swelling around my eyes, some fingers, mouth, and down south, you know. I also had stomach pains whenever I ate most foods. Muscle/joint aches and pain. If it wasn't for the maker's diet and research I would probably be worse and I wouldn't have found Sally Fallon's cookbook (excellent book). Well I am 70% better and I don't follow the candida diet very strickly, but will start this week because I want to make more progress and I haven't been using my oil of oregano like I should, but I have upped my probiotics (lots of die-off: )and waiting on my kefir grains:

In the meantime I'm afraid if our problem is a leaky gut he will continue to lose weight until this problem is resolved. Being so young I worry about him losing weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
I have been leaning this way myself. From what Ive read, lgs causes candida overgrowth, but/and vice versa. If you have yeast, you have leaky gut, but you had it before the yeast too, just not as bad. You have to address both (as you are all doing). Its the terrain vs. microbe debate, and the answer is, it's both. Yeast makes the terrain worse (alkalinizes the bowel, due to not enough good bugs making lactic acid ... but good bugs cannot do their job in an alkaline environment, so *just* adding these wil not restore balance in and of itself, because it doesnt address the terrain), but it was not healthy to begin with, to open the door to yeast overgrowth. And when you are doing everything *right* (diet, antifungals, enzymes, probiotics, direct intestinal healing - l-glutamine, aloe, zinc, vit. A, whatever - stress relief, detox) it still takes at least 9 mos, but I think more, to get balanced. I have been fighting the yeast without thinking about the whole picture. One source Ive read attributes a lot to stress, and not just the obvious kind. Dealing with what we all are causes a lot of obvious stress. There have been many studies showing how detrimental stress is to the intestines. It occurs to me that healing the gut could eliminate yeast, although thats not looking at the whole picture either : Hope Im not being redundant here
What is your regimen, from when you wake to when you sleep, and what foods and supplements. I would like to compare some things. I was thinking of buying olive leaf, do you take this one, I hear alot good things. Please share.

At the end of these quote's I will post some info I found from one of the sites that helped me understand leaky gut. I used some of what she suggest for foods and some from others like the maker's diet. Here is her website if iterested in more: http://www.askshelley.com/faq.php?p=default&cat=38#a25

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
I am having the worst face rash explosion ever. It kind of errupted yesterday. This is now the 3rd time in like 6 weeks that this has happened, the first and 3rd times being the worst. My one eye is so swollen that it is only half open. I don't know if it started then, but I first felt my skin getting red, bumpy and itchy while eating breakfast and got too much cinnamen. I often eat cinnamen, but I dumped too much and actually choked/coughed from it.

I have never had any skin problems and certainly not exema, but I am starting to wonder. Could it just start like that? Although this time it is not flakey, but red, itchy, swollen and on my eyelids, rather sore.

I do not know how it ties into my GI issues, but of course, I know that it does. I still have fairly severe bloating, not so much constipation, occassional gas and the latest is gastritis. I started taking prilosec and am now trying nexium to stop the horrible pain that I was having, which is helping that.

My doctor really is useless with this stuff, so I need to find a new one. I am also not working much due to all this stuff going on, so money is not plentiful to go to alternative practicioners. I am now strongly considering allergy testing.

Does anyone have any insight into any of this for me? I just really don't quite know what to do. I am using vit E, which helps alittle, but only for a very short while.
Well I know that cinnamon is an antifungal and I also read somewhere the eggs are too, I did not know this about the eggs until about 1 or 2 months ago(It may have to do with the sulfur) as for the cinn. I found that out about 6 months ago. Still learning.

Ok here is the info on the leaky gut. I use some of her info but you should read a little more on her site, some useful info:

Leaky Gut

This protocol is for anyone experiencing Stage 2 Candida; Celiac Disease; IBS; Crohn’s; Acne; fatigue after meals not explained by hypoglycemia; food sensitivities; alternating bouts of diarrhea/constipation; dark circles under the eyes; fatigue; fibromyalgia.

The cycle that needs to be interrupted is a cycle of a too-porous intestine allowing large molecules into the bloodstream. The immune system then has to go into overdrive, attacking these large molecules, which causes inflammation of the intestines, which increases gut permeability.

This wreaks havoc on the liver, which must take these inappropriate molecules out of the bloodstream. Bile can be compromised, causing a highly acidic bile that burns the small intestine. So liver management is required. Flushing helps, but mostly the liver needs things that cleanse it and bile.

The intestinal lining can heal itself in as fast as 24 hours, but nutrient deficiencies and inflammation will slow down the process to as long as 3 days, and subsequent allergic reactions will create new pores.

If Candida caused the pores to begin with, it should be brought under control before beginning this protocol.

Your first line of defense is diet. You should follow an anti-candida, anti-celiac disease diet for at least 3 months. That means only vegetables (except for nightshade), alternative, non-gluten grains; protein shakes.

Avoid wheat, oats, corn, white potatoes, tomatoes, even garlic, as it may be an allergen if you ate a lot of it in the past, or used it to kill candida.

You can have legumes, nuts if raw and soaked, you should get plenty of EFAs as they help repair tissues, you can only eat non-hormonal, organic beef, chicken and turkey; and fish.

You should get most of your nutrients from freshly squeezed veggie juice. If you don’t have a juicer yet, get one! Until then, visit the local juice bar or buy Naked Juice.

Your second line of defense is keeping the intestines clean. You should clean the colon as often as possible. Clean tissues heal faster. That means enemas almost daily; a diet of mostly juices; and a combination of insoluble fiber (veggies, whole flax seeds) and only a small bit of soluble fiber (psyllium, guar gum, apple pectin) as it may irritate.

After a flushing enema, do a retention enema of liquid chlorophyll or aloe vera juice to aid healing, or simply add some to your flushing enemas and retain them a bit longer before voiding. The basic enema is just salted water; neither baking soda or coffee are recommended for leaky gut treatments.

Your third line of defense is taking the amino acid, L-Glutamine. It is a major component of the connective tissue of the intestinal tract. You should buy the powder so that it is absorbed easily and gets into the bloodstream right away. For best results, take at least 1/2 teaspoon 2x day on an empty stomach.

There are supplements designed for leaky gut, a list of common components follows so you’ll be able to recognize a good one or so you can create your own with a combo of supplements, juices and teas.

Take in Lecithin to help cleanse the bile and liver.

Carrot juice cleanses bile and liver, beets detox liver. This is important as harsh bile will create more permeability.

Cabbage is a good source of organic sulphur, which aids the action of the glutamine. Some supplements have MSM for this reason.

Digestive Enzymes – leaky gut exhausts the pancreas, help it out, and help foods get fully digested so only smaller particles end up in the bloodstream.

EFA’s – gamma linolenic acid, linoleic acid, only from animal sources of fruit oils or fish oils, not nut oil.

B vitamins – they are so essential for good fat absorption and repairing of tissues, and tough to Over Dose on, so do take these regularly.

Zinc – zinc absorption gets interrupted by leaky gut and you need it. You may need magnesium too - especially if experiencing brain fog and twitching.

N-Acetyl D-Glucosamine is an amino-sugar (amino acid joined to a sugar) that aids in the formation of connective tissue of the intestinal tract. Glucosamine is an integral component of the mucous membranes lining the digestive, respiratory and urinary tracts.

Marshmallow has been shown to have soothing and healing properties upon the epithelial tissue lining the gastrointestinal tract. It also soothes the kidneys/bladder. Slippery elm is a soothing nutritive demulcent. It helps to buffer the membranes of the intestinal lining from irritation from foods and assists the passage of foods through the intestines. It may also help to support the healing process of the gastrointestinal tract and urinary tract.

Acidophilus and other probiotics – these should be taken after the permeability issue has been addressed. If you take microbes while the gut is leaking, they will end up in the bloodstream and cause rashes and other issues. If you’re not sure where you are in the cycle, take it every 3 days or so after every 2 enemas.

Since the immune system is exhausted by leaky gut syndrome, avoid taking Echinacea to ramp it up - it needs a break. Kombucha tea and all the guidelines in Lymph Notes are highly beneficial.

They main thing is change the diet If you don't change it you will get worse. And listen to your body. When I changed my diet I saw improvement right away. When taking the probiotics and antifungals you will get die off. It takes awhile to get better, but the happier you are the less stress over the condition the quicker you get better. I really think making my homemade kefir is going to make a world of a difference. I want to try to get most of my stuff from foods if that is possible. I know I forgot some things but I will get it the next time around.
#133 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 10:39 PM

Ok, Gotta ask those in the know. DD (16months) has had near constant thrush, a few yeast diaper rashes, way too frequent (although not too painful) ear infections, is an absolute pig and is really tiny (the size of a 7 or 8mo). Any chance this is all related? Could it *all* be gut problems? How do I help her?

WARNING- THIS IS A BIT GROSS
Also I've been dealing w/ varying degrees of constipation for years. Lately it seems as though I have a large mass of stool that will not move. Any thoughts on helping that out?

And is there any place online where I can get gut healing basics?

Amanda : mom to : ds's 14, 12, 9, 1 & dd6

#134 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainedangel View Post
Look at the sticky at the top of the health and healing forum.
#135 of 395 Old 12-10-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainedangel View Post
Ok, Gotta ask those in the know. DD (16months) has had near constant thrush, a few yeast diaper rashes, way too frequent (although not too painful) ear infections, is an absolute pig and is really tiny (the size of a 7 or 8mo). Any chance this is all related? Could it *all* be gut problems? How do I help her?

WARNING- THIS IS A BIT GROSS
Also I've been dealing w/ varying degrees of constipation for years. Lately it seems as though I have a large mass of stool that will not move. Any thoughts on helping that out?

This may help:

http://www.askshelley.com/faq.php?p=default&cat=36
#136 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminthecity View Post

This wreaks havoc on the liver, which must take these inappropriate molecules out of the bloodstream. Bile can be compromised, causing a highly acidic bile that burns the small intestine. So liver management is required. Flushing helps, but mostly the liver needs things that cleanse it and bile.
Quote:
Your second line of defense is keeping the intestines clean. You should clean the colon as often as possible. Clean tissues heal faster. That means enemas almost daily; a diet of mostly juices; and a combination of insoluble fiber (veggies, whole flax seeds) and only a small bit of soluble fiber (psyllium, guar gum, apple pectin) as it may irritate.
A LOT of us here are breastfeeding. It is pretty well known that one needs to be quite careful in healing the gut activities. If a regimen does too much cleansing, the released toxins can go straight into the breastmilk. Instead of mom having a herxheimer reaction, babe can end up having it instead.

Which reminds me... someone here wasn't having any sorts of die-off (aka herxheimer reaction). in that situation, how was the babe doing? better or worse? (or maybe there wasn't a babe and i'm just remembering wrongly).

#137 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 09:28 AM

They don't have to do everything she suggests, I just posted that to give them some idea of what maybe going on and what they can do naturally. Hopefully people who read suggestions do research and using common sense, before trying anyones advise. Just like your doctor, he told you to do something would you jump right in a do it without researching it and thinking about it.
#138 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

Which reminds me... someone here wasn't having any sorts of die-off (aka herxheimer reaction). in that situation, how was the babe doing? better or worse? (or maybe there wasn't a babe and i'm just remembering wrongly).
I think it was saskiasmom who wasn't having any die-off, but as far as I know she isn't nursing.
#139 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminthecity View Post
They don't have to do everything she suggests, I just posted that to give them some idea of what maybe going on and what they can do naturally. Hopefully people who read suggestions do research and using common sense, before trying anyones advise. Just like your doctor, he told you to do something would you jump right in a do it without researching it and thinking about it.
You're right, people should do some research, but if you disagree with information in a link you post or know of something that contradicts some of the advice given, it's probably a good idea to post that information (or someone else probably will)--when someone is just starting out and learning about healing the gut everything is very overwhelming and it's easy to just trust what someone you think is more knowledgeable (ie those of us already on this thread) tells you.
#140 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
What is SCD??????

I think SCD means Specific Carbohyrdate Diet. Here is more info that may answer your other questions:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=434071
#141 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You're right, people should do some research, but if you disagree with information in a link you post or know of something that contradicts some of the advice given, it's probably a good idea to post that information (or someone else probably will)--when someone is just starting out and learning about healing the gut everything is very overwhelming and it's easy to just trust what someone you think is more knowledgeable (ie those of us already on this thread) tells you.
I didn't say I disagree with what she says, I said I use some of her ideas. Some people can't do everything that one person recommends. There is so many different veiws on (lets say this topic) that not all of one persons advice will help and all or at that time. I don't totally agree with everything I read, but I do research what I read and if there is contradicting veiws I may try it or may not, depends. Lets take the Maker's diet. His book was very helpful, but I took some of his advise and others to see what worked for me. I don't totally agree with him either. As for her advise and other people on cleansing the liver I am to chicken to try at this time cause I know I will get tons of die off and whatever else. As for the colon cleanse I believe is extremely important, but having other problems that I know will interfer with the cleanse like having hypothyroidism we tend to me constipated so I experiment with different options. Also I posted her site and said to read more of her site that will help. She goes into more detail and people who are confused post questions to make sure they understand. I am sorry if I didn't explain more before I posted I guess I just assumed people did research before trying anything.
#142 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 AM

I'm curious beachbum, what are you currently doing for gut healing? Are you trying to heal yourself or your dc?
#143 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 12:13 PM

I just tried to introduce cow yogurt (24 hour) after 8 months on SCD. I was hoping to move away from goat yogurt because it's. so. expensive. Reacted mildly to the cow yogurt (breakouts, but no pain, no gas - better than last time I tried.), so I'm going back on goat yogurt and hoping to try the cow yogurt again in a few months (and hopefully to give the homeopathy some time to work its magic).

My question: Has anyone been able to switch to cow from goat when they didn't previously tolerate it? I'm wondering if this is more of a true allergy than a digestive issue. Seems like more of a protein issue, when I can clearly tolerate goat.
#144 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000 View Post
My question: Has anyone been able to switch to cow from goat when they didn't previously tolerate it? I'm wondering if this is more of a true allergy than a digestive issue. Seems like more of a protein issue, when I can clearly tolerate goat.
heh - i'm too chicken to try. i have tried feta cheese (it snuck into those yummy spinach-feta applegate farms sausages!) and, when cooked, it doesn't bother me. i can't stand goat's milk or goat's milk yogurt. those are just way too goaty for my taste buds.

though maybe i should try it again - i just recently tried commercial kefir and found it way too sweet and lacking in the nice zing that my homegrown kefir has. 6 months ago, i couldn't stand the commerical stuff. maybe my taste buds have evolved since then as well.

#145 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well I just spent $75 on custom probiotics for DD...I sure hope they work.
#146 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
I'm curious beachbum, what are you currently doing for gut healing? Are you trying to heal yourself or your dc?
Hi Annikate, I definitly changed diet, but do cheat and plan on going very strict. I am waiting on my kefir grains (should come today), and want to start fermenting veggies. IMO, I believe these 2 add foods and going to make a big differenc. As for your answer I didn't take it slow with doing all the suggestions and was feeling worse. So first take it slow and listen to your body. I took some suggestions from this website www.askshelley.com go to the fequently asked question at the top of the site and just do alot of reading. Don't take anyone'e word for anything until you looked at different veiws. I also read alot on this site too http://www.mercola.com/index.htm and from the Maker's diet and Sally Fallon's cookbook. I think key is fermenting, soaking , and slow cooking with rich nutrient foods for starters. Sorry I got sidetracked---I also use L-Glutamine caps and aloe vera juice, both are suppose to help heal the gut and of course I haven't been too faithful with it but I have been inproving. I don't have stomach pain, bloating, and gas anymore. I will try and keep you posted on my regimen. I do take alot of probiotic until I get the kefir and fermenting veggies going. In this thread the page before this I posted info on leaky gut you may want to check, post #132 it is long.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanna4000 View Post
I just tried to introduce cow yogurt (24 hour) after 8 months on SCD. I was hoping to move away from goat yogurt because it's. so. expensive. Reacted mildly to the cow yogurt (breakouts, but no pain, no gas - better than last time I tried.), so I'm going back on goat yogurt and hoping to try the cow yogurt again in a few months (and hopefully to give the homeopathy some time to work its magic).

They do say goat's milk is better for people to digest and it is very close to breast milk. Maybe you should try it as kefir instead and see how that works. I don't know if I answered your question
#147 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Well I just spent $75 on custom probiotics for DD...I sure hope they work.
What strains of bacteria are in it? Did you get one for yourself too or just for your DD?

We create our own reality.
#148 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
What strains of bacteria are in it? Did you get one for yourself too or just for your DD?
I just got it for DD. The stuff I'm doing seems to be helping me and those are way too expensive for me to take if I don't need to. I got: L. acidophilus, salivarius, planatarum (sp?), reuteri, and rhamnosus, B. bifidum, lactis, and infantis (50-50 split between lactobaccilli and bifidobacteria). I chose the strains based on what I've read about probiotics, choosing strains that either showed benefits for eczema and allergies in studies or had actions that I felt would be beneficial to DD. It's supposed to get here on Thursday so I will keep you posted on any results.

Oh, and whoever was looking for dairy free reuteri--customprobiotics says their's is dairy free.
#149 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I need opinions: now that DD appears to be reacting to tree nuts, is it a bad idea to take her to a place like Texas Roadhouse where they thow peanut shells on the floor? She's been there before and I do of course keep her away from the peanuts and shells.
#150 of 395 Old 12-11-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I need opinions: now that DD appears to be reacting to tree nuts, is it a bad idea to take her to a place like Texas Roadhouse where they thow peanut shells on the floor? She's been there before and I do of course keep her away from the peanuts and shells.

I'd probably avoid it just to be safe, at least for 6 mths to a year, when you can figure out and isolate her reactions better (after elimination).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page