Healing the Gut Tribe-December - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 395 Old 12-12-2006, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
Those who make coconut kefir, is this b/c you arent doing dairy? If you were would you do dairy instead? That is, do you get any more benefits probiotically from dairy vs. alternate milk kefir?
I'm not doing it because I have to get some grains. I'm not rushing on that though because I'm personally not a huge fan of kefir-I much prefer yogurt and even that is a chore to eat.

We do coconut based yogurt because we cannot do dairy in any form. If we could do dairy I'd likely stick with the coconut, but I would like to have some butter! I've just never been a big advocate of humans eating dairy, but that's just my own personal issue. Many people experience healing with it.
#182 of 395 Old 12-12-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskiasmom View Post
Those who make coconut kefir, is this b/c you arent doing dairy? If you were would you do dairy instead? That is, do you get any more benefits probiotically from dairy vs. alternate milk kefir?
Our experience has been that the dairy kefir is more healing. My husband says there is a HUGE difference for him, and I must say that for myself (I can't do the dairy), the water kefir has not helped as much as I has hoped. My understanding is that milk kefir has far more good bugs due to a symbiotic relationship betwween the kefir cultures and the good bugs already present in milk. I have a strong feeling that I need the milk kefir to heal, but can't have it because babe, and I suppose therefore me, can't tolerate it. :
#183 of 395 Old 12-12-2006, 05:40 PM

ff,
I'm going to post a ? for you in SCD chefs.:
#184 of 395 Old 12-12-2006, 06:51 PM

rash on her tummy allergy or other?

DD has a rash on her tummy. Like heat rash but she hasn't been overheated. She is just getting over a viral infection that had it's own rash and this is similar but not the same (and in a new spot).

Could this be an allergic reaction to something or is it more likely a viral rash. We had sausages for dinner last night and I don't know all the spices in them but I think they were scd legal at least. This morning we had some oatmeal. We eat oatmeal 1-4x a week or so just for the past few weeks. So far it hasn't caused any problems but today she is also acting like she had an allergen. Yesterday for breakfast she had sausages and then complained (for the first time ever) that her tummy was hurting. When she got adjusted by the chiro that afternoon she said that the part of her back that was out of whack wasn't the normal part and it was connected to her digestion/stomach.

I'm thinking I need to get dd allergy tested. She has begun having more allergic type reactions. She had a bright red rash on her face the other day and I have no idea what caused it but it sure seemed to be an allergic reaction. Now the fun of finding a good pediatric allergist.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#185 of 395 Old 12-12-2006, 08:56 PM

Firefaery-

We are not eating the best. DH and I are both exhausted grad students *trying* to avoid sending DD to daycare or get into debt over our heads. So we parent and go to school (he works also) in shifts. We eat almost entirely organic meat, my parent's raise grass fed beef and lamb. Our veggie intake is mostly frozen from grocery store and then steamed. We eat whole grain for the most part. We have begun to limit dairy. I have a identified milk (and corn) sensitivity and have almost terrible cravings for dairy. I was on WIC during entire pregnancy and 1st year of BF so we had alot around. I induge in Coffee and Diet coke during the two days a week I attend school b/c I start my day at 5am and it ends around 11pm. I don't want to deny my daughter health but we are broke and tired. I'm a recovered bulimic so I do fear regimenting my eating. I'm just afraid I can't do "it all" what would be most beneficial?
#186 of 395 Old 12-12-2006, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post
rash on her tummy allergy or other?

DD has a rash on her tummy. Like heat rash but she hasn't been overheated. She is just getting over a viral infection that had it's own rash and this is similar but not the same (and in a new spot).

Could this be an allergic reaction to something or is it more likely a viral rash. We had sausages for dinner last night and I don't know all the spices in them but I think they were scd legal at least. This morning we had some oatmeal. We eat oatmeal 1-4x a week or so just for the past few weeks. So far it hasn't caused any problems but today she is also acting like she had an allergen. Yesterday for breakfast she had sausages and then complained (for the first time ever) that her tummy was hurting. When she got adjusted by the chiro that afternoon she said that the part of her back that was out of whack wasn't the normal part and it was connected to her digestion/stomach.

I'm thinking I need to get dd allergy tested. She has begun having more allergic type reactions. She had a bright red rash on her face the other day and I have no idea what caused it but it sure seemed to be an allergic reaction. Now the fun of finding a good pediatric allergist.
We can start our own "I've been trying to heal the gut for months now and my kid is getting worse" club:
#187 of 395 Old 12-12-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxclayborn View Post
Firefaery-

We are not eating the best. DH and I are both exhausted grad students *trying* to avoid sending DD to daycare or get into debt over our heads. So we parent and go to school (he works also) in shifts. We eat almost entirely organic meat, my parent's raise grass fed beef and lamb. Our veggie intake is mostly frozen from grocery store and then steamed. We eat whole grain for the most part. We have begun to limit dairy. I have a identified milk (and corn) sensitivity and have almost terrible cravings for dairy. I was on WIC during entire pregnancy and 1st year of BF so we had alot around. I induge in Coffee and Diet coke during the two days a week I attend school b/c I start my day at 5am and it ends around 11pm. I don't want to deny my daughter health but we are broke and tired. I'm a recovered bulimic so I do fear regimenting my eating. I'm just afraid I can't do "it all" what would be most beneficial?
Sorry I wasn't more clear...what are you feeding your dd?
#188 of 395 Old 12-12-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
We can start our own "I've been trying to heal the gut for months now and my kid is getting worse" club:
Sadly I should be in the club too.

We create our own reality.
#189 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 12:09 AM

How many of you who feel your dc's aren't getting any better are still doing dairy?
#190 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 12:53 AM

We haven't done dairy since August and I'm considering trying goat diary again made into yogurt to see if that will help dd. I can't get her to eat more than a spoonful of the coconut yogurt but she always ate the cow and goat yogurt willingly.

our family is <>< and :
#191 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
How many of you who feel your dc's aren't getting any better are still doing dairy?
Have not touched dairy since August. Considering trying coconut yogurt again, Was off all coconut for a while, and have started up very slowly with CO. I am thinking about ordering custom probiotics and making yogurt out of that. Question is do I order the probiotic for myself or for DS? (I can only afford 1 right now)I know that around here people keep saying 'concentrate on healing yourself first.'

DS no longer spits up, that is better. But his eczema has gotten worse since I started.

#192 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 01:08 AM

Please give me input on what I should try to address with the pediatric allergist. Our first appt is on Monday and it is a military hospital.

HOw much do I tell them about what diet I have been following and what I have been doing for DS?

What tests should I ask for?

#193 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 01:13 AM

Firefaery- sorry its finals and my brains not working well

She nurses anywhere from 4-8 times a day. Breakfast is typically egg, Whole wheat toast, and a baby grain cereal made with water and natural apple sauce. Lunch is typically beans, tofu, and leftover vegetables from the night before. Dinner is what we are eating but she typically doesn't eat much: Today is was a Tablespoon of tofu and a bite of potatoes (with milk in them) and rice cereal. She typically snacks on multi grain crackers, nutri grain bars, cheerios, or graham crackers. She drinks thickened water or rice milk.
#194 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Please give me input on what I should try to address with the pediatric allergist. Our first appt is on Monday and it is a military hospital.

HOw much do I tell them about what diet I have been following and what I have been doing for DS?

What tests should I ask for?
Well, I kept quiet about my diet and supplements for the most part, and I tried not to bring up phrases like "allergy load" or "leaky gut" and such, until I had a feel for him. I actually had decided that he wasn't going to be very receptive when I accidentally slipped up and said something about "allergy load" and he totally gave me this condescending speech. He also was very emphatic about how allergies are just "bad genetics" and nothing more. Grrrr.

I didn't get the feeling he would have been open to IgG testing either, so we just did the skin prick. From what I understand, the skin prick and RAST blood test (both IgE testing) have the same accuracy rate (which apparently isn't very high), so one or the other isn't necessarily better. Personally, I would like to have had more substances tested, which is how RAST is superior, imo (can test lots of substances with one blood draw). He only did 8 skin pricks, the major 8 on the pediatric panel, which did *not* include nuts or fish. He was very disinclined to do a blood draw on a baby/toddler (not that I love the idea either).

Now that we've eliminated our major allergens (corn and dairy, but also soy, nuts and fish, for good measure), others are becoming more obvious (mostly fruits). If I liked the guy, I would go back to test for the ones that have me concerned, but since I don't, I think I'll just have to figure it out for myself.

Sorry, I'm rambling! I hope you have a really, really good experience. Good luck with the appt.
#195 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxclayborn View Post
Firefaery- sorry its finals and my brains not working well

She nurses anywhere from 4-8 times a day. Breakfast is typically egg, Whole wheat toast, and a baby grain cereal made with water and natural apple sauce. Lunch is typically beans, tofu, and leftover vegetables from the night before. Dinner is what we are eating but she typically doesn't eat much: Today is was a Tablespoon of tofu and a bite of potatoes (with milk in them) and rice cereal. She typically snacks on multi grain crackers, nutri grain bars, cheerios, or graham crackers. She drinks thickened water or rice milk.
Okay. Well, you are not going to like what I would suggest, but here it is: If it were me in your situation I would absolutely not think twice about eliminating gluten, dairy and soy. I may even think about egg. Just to see how it goes. Those are all very common allergens and many people see a huge turnaround with them gone. I would say that you may want to do it for around 6 weeks and see what has changed. I know it's never fun to do it, but if you were interested in finding out more (both about why to do it and what you could sub. with) there are many mamas to help you through it.

You said you have already thought about the dairy. I hope this isn't too overwhelming for you. Have you had a chance to read the cheat sheet?
#196 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Have not touched dairy since August. Considering trying coconut yogurt again, Was off all coconut for a while, and have started up very slowly with CO. I am thinking about ordering custom probiotics and making yogurt out of that. Question is do I order the probiotic for myself or for DS? (I can only afford 1 right now)I know that around here people keep saying 'concentrate on healing yourself first.'

DS no longer spits up, that is better. But his eczema has gotten worse since I started.
I think it is important to heal yourself first, but if you only have $ for one I would get it for him. Probiotic strains do not pass through bm and really it's one of the most important parts of gut healing. I know for us I shelled out for the little one on that front. I figured at least his little gut had a fighting chance with it.
#197 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 09:20 AM

I am a newbie and have a lot of questions. If they have been answered in this thread, I am sorry. Also, I have started looking at some of the things on the cheat sheet, but really have only just started.
First, we have a 7 mos old who has eczema which started in the folds of her arms and legs and now over her whole body, literally. She is ebf (played around with solids for a few weeks, but back to bfing only) and I am on an elimination diet. So, from the bit I have read here it sounds like I need to work on my own gut. I don't think I have major problems, partly stuffy nose a lot, which I am starting to think is related to food intolerances as well. No yeast infections, except one while I was pg, first real one in years, so I don't think I have yeast, although I know precious little. What would be other major indicators?
Then, how would you know if a baby has yeast? I need to start to help her at least a little, because she is going crazy. I read some posts about enzymes. Would you give that to a baby? And CLO? I also read a post somewhere about quercetin and L-glutamine. Would that be something you can give to a baby?I am getting her some probiotics and dairy free ones for me. And am trying to eat some coconut oil an coconut milk. I could not get any into her for the life of me. (Caedmyn, thanks for responding about the oil, I never got around to post a thank you).
This is all very overwhelming, so any ideas would be really appreciated.
#198 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Not me--I haven't had any dairy since Sep. 23.
#199 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would get them for your DS--you can give them to him directly and in yogurt if he'll eat in, and then you can always eat the yogurt, too, and that will stretch them out a lot since you only use a little to make yogurt. There are so many things you can do as an adult for probiotics that he might not be able to do or to get enough of to make a difference (ie you can drink 32 oz of water kefir or kombucha or eat 4 cups of yogurt a day if you need to). Plus they will only sell you 25 grams for a baby, not for an adult.
#200 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
I am a newbie and have a lot of questions. If they have been answered in this thread, I am sorry. Also, I have started looking at some of the things on the cheat sheet, but really have only just started.
First, we have a 7 mos old who has eczema which started in the folds of her arms and legs and now over her whole body, literally. She is ebf (played around with solids for a few weeks, but back to bfing only) and I am on an elimination diet. So, from the bit I have read here it sounds like I need to work on my own gut. I don't think I have major problems, partly stuffy nose a lot, which I am starting to think is related to food intolerances as well. No yeast infections, except one while I was pg, first real one in years, so I don't think I have yeast, although I know precious little. What would be other major indicators?
Then, how would you know if a baby has yeast? I need to start to help her at least a little, because she is going crazy. I read some posts about enzymes. Would you give that to a baby? And CLO? I also read a post somewhere about quercetin and L-glutamine. Would that be something you can give to a baby?I am getting her some probiotics and dairy free ones for me. And am trying to eat some coconut oil an coconut milk. I could not get any into her for the life of me. (Caedmyn, thanks for responding about the oil, I never got around to post a thank you).
How long have you been off dairy? I had a persistant postnasal drip and DD was always slightly congested--both of those cleared up when I eliminated dairy.

There are so many symptoms that can indicate yeast--mine were horrible gas, yeast-infection type itchiness (although I never had yeast infections), acne, some mood swings, and a couple of others I can't think of right at the moment. If the mom has yeast it's pretty likely baby does too, IMO. DD's yeast symptoms are eczema, yeast rashes (little bumps in various places), and cradle cap. I don't think all eczema is caused by yeast, though, so your DD's may not be.

Have you tried CLO and evening primrose oil (for you) to help with her eczema? You can give her CLO directly if she'll take it. What probiotics are you giving her? You can do feremented foods or drinks (kombucha, water kefir, non-dairy yogurt) for yourself instead of probiotic powder/capsules--the fermented foods/drinks are much stronger (and much cheaper).
#201 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I would get them for your DS--you can give them to him directly and in yogurt if he'll eat in, and then you can always eat the yogurt, too, and that will stretch them out a lot since you only use a little to make yogurt. There are so many things you can do as an adult for probiotics that he might not be able to do or to get enough of to make a difference (ie you can drink 32 oz of water kefir or kombucha or eat 4 cups of yogurt a day if you need to). Plus they will only sell you 25 grams for a baby, not for an adult.
Can you post the name and number for the custom probiotics person? Thanks!

#202 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
Welcome! I still feel new here and I have been around for 6 months. I wish I had read 'Enzymes for Autism' by Karen Delfelice before I had done any diet changes. It will explain all about enzymes. Also 'Bacteria for Breakfeast' is another good read.

I agree with the others that cutting out dairy is the first thing to try.

#203 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 12:16 PM

To everyone that doesn't eat/drink dairy. This maybe a dumb question, do you all still eat/drink milk kefir and yogurt.
#204 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I think we need a group hug.

Interestingly, I hadn't been on here in a few days, but it seems like I've been having a parallel thought process to a lot of you. After a lot of soul searching, I've decided to reintroduce a few grains, but stay gluten free, and focus on getting good bugs into me instead of avoiding bad bugs. I think I've gotten too focused on negative things (avoiding bad foods and focusing on bad reactions) and it is really stressing me out and making me have very negative energy. I'm not normally all that into the energy focus of things, but I do know that I am more stressed now than I have ever been, what with having so much food to prepare from scratch, watching everything I put in mouth, wohing, and trying to have some time with my kids. I really notice it when I'm nursing because it takes so much longer for my milk to let-down (and the little one lets me know she isn't so happy with that!), and I think its just because my body is staying in a state of hyper-stress, with tons of damaging cortosil and adrenaline (sp?) constantly running through it.

So, I'm still staying egg, dairy, and gluten free (and all the other trigger foods - cinnamon, uncooked fruits, etc), but I'm going to do some brown rice and corn. And I'm really going to focus on getting good guys in me - komboucha, water kefir, fermented veggies, etc. I also just got some Custom Probiotics, which I'm going to start tonight. I'll have to moderate all this to manage potential die-off. I'm also going to cut out nuts because I'm seeing some signs that nuts are causing issues. And banana - I think they are causing diaper rash. The nuts were the straw for me - I really don't think I can do SCD with no nuts, eggs, or dairy. That's too much for me to handle emotionally.

I'm also going to MAKE myself start doing yoga, and I'm going to do some baby yoga (I got the book Itsy Bitsy Yoga) with the little one and see if it helps her, too.

So, this is my new regimen. Assuming it goes ok, I'm going to stick with for the rest of the year, and then might restart SCD in January. I still can't eat a lot because I have to introduce things so very slowly to figure out what is a trigger (like 1 new food every 2 weeks - I think I'm up to 30 foods now, but every now and then a "safe" food falls off the list!).

DD has had a diaper rash/red patch on her labia (just one side) for a week now. It isn't spotty, and I don't think it is yeast, but I can't get it to go away. I thought it might be the potassium from bananas and cut those out, and its still hanging around 5 days later. Any ideas?

On the upside, the little one is almost completely spit-up and vomit free. Hooray! The poop is still hit or miss with the right consistency and color, but she is pooping regularly. So, things are a lot better, and I just need to keep thinking about that. It's just that I'm so much more aware now of everything else that is an issue or a potential issue. I want to be informed and blissful - oh, one day . . .
#205 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminthecity View Post
To everyone that doesn't eat/drink dairy. This maybe a dumb question, do you all still eat/drink milk kefir and yogurt.
No. Dairy kefir and yogurt are generally well-tolerated by people with lactose intolerance, but not those with casein (milk protein) intolerances or allergies.
#206 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I have used Progurt by GI Health. It is supposedly allergen free.
Thanks firefairy, I will check this out.
It sounds like Bacteria for Breakfast is something I should read, and I think that if I get some books, I will actually be able to learn more. I feel so icky when I try to research on the computer for any length of time, I think from the emfs.

to all of you who feel like things are worse. We have experienced this too, more with my older boys than the babe, and it is frustrating. I honestly wonder if my obsessing about food allergies/gut issues didn't manifest more problems
I do feel that no healing can take place if all of my thought energy in this home is on how sick we all are.

Has anyone here healed, or known anyone from MDC that has? It would be nice to know that it happens, kwim?
#207 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:

I would get the probiotics for your dc. The research seems to indicate that the sooner you get the gut flora sorted out the more likely it is for it to effect a permanent change. It is probably very difficult if not impossible to permanently fix an adults gut flora but a babies is much more likely.

our family is <>< and :
#208 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminthecity View Post
Nope. Just Ghee becasue it doesn't seem to effect dd at all and I like the taste.

our family is <>< and :
#209 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajaillet View Post
Has anyone here healed, or known anyone from MDC that has? It would be nice to know that it happens, kwim?
I've done some healing, at least as far as my symptoms mostly disappearing. Obviously I need to heal a lot more, though, since DD is still reacting to things I eat. A couple of people who post every once in a while have healed (JaneS and GaleForce). Hopefully some of the regulars who have healed will post their experiences, too. Of course, the jury is still out on whether anyone ever truly heals, as opposed to just being symptom free.
#210 of 395 Old 12-13-2006, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Nolansmum--here's the link with the Custom Probiotics contact info...I think the guy's name is Harry but I'm not sure--he's the one who always answered the phone when I called. http://www.customprobiotics.com/contactus.htm

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page