Healing the Gut Tribe-December - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 395 Old 12-14-2006, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post
even better is that it (a) survives digestion (when used in oil form, anyway) and (b) it doesn't completely destroy lactic acid bacteria in our guts (lactobacillus and bifidobacteria, in particular) AND (c) it is effective against E. Coli (the pathogenic kind) and Salmonella. there's science supporting these results.
Well thank you, didn't know that. Boy alot of good things for something that tastes so good for once.

I just started giving it to my brother in-law who has type 2 diabetes and it is really helping his insulin so far, but I am keeping an eye on it to see if it keeps working.
#242 of 395 Old 12-14-2006, 05:14 PM

caedmyn-another question about coconut kefir. I left a half inch of coconut kefir from my first batch in the jar with the grains and over 3 days it turned into a thick yogurt that was very tart. Think it is ok to eat this stuff? I know you said you let your coconut kefir brew for about 12 hrs, why not longer?

Will you use your custom probiotics to give to your DD strait or are you going to make yogurt with it? I am getting ready to order mine, just doing a little more research on the strains.

We create our own reality.
#243 of 395 Old 12-14-2006, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
caedmyn-another question about coconut kefir. I left a half inch of coconut kefir from my first batch in the jar with the grains and over 3 days it turned into a thick yogurt that was very tart. Think it is ok to eat this stuff? I know you said you let your coconut kefir brew for about 12 hrs, why not longer?

Will you use your custom probiotics to give to your DD strait or are you going to make yogurt with it? I am getting ready to order mine, just doing a little more research on the strains.
If I left my CM kefir out too long it just got very yeasty and sort of exploded everywhere. It did tend to get pretty thick in the fridge. I think it's okay to eat the tart stuff.

I am just going to give DD the probiotics straight for now. I never could get her to eat much yogurt, and right now I am not sure if she has a coconut intolerance or not (she's fine with the oil, though), so until I figure that out the yogurt is definitely out for both of us.
#244 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 01:51 AM

Candida is good for you???
http://hugginsappliedhealing.com/faqs.html
Quote:
20. Is ‘Candida’ related to my amalgams (silver fillings)?

Strangely enough, Candida is there to save your life. It changes methyl mercury to a less toxic (but still toxic) form. Bacteria change it back to methyl mercury, and the system goes back and forth. If Candida were eliminated while you have amalgam in your mouth, your health will not be as good as if it were there protecting you. Complex, but yes, there is a relationship.
Has anyone heard this? I've been googling and finding some similar stuff.

Patty wife to Jason Mama to Wisteria (6) and Junia (2)
our family is <>< and :
#245 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla View Post

I have not heard this, but from everything I've learned over the past year and a half re: amalgams and mercury toxicity it simply cannot be true.

Of course, I'd be interested to see if someone can provide the research to prove me wrong.
#246 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
How long have you been off dairy? I had a persistant postnasal drip and DD was always slightly congested--both of those cleared up when I eliminated dairy.

There are so many symptoms that can indicate yeast--mine were horrible gas, yeast-infection type itchiness (although I never had yeast infections), acne, some mood swings, and a couple of others I can't think of right at the moment. If the mom has yeast it's pretty likely baby does too, IMO. DD's yeast symptoms are eczema, yeast rashes (little bumps in various places), and cradle cap. I don't think all eczema is caused by yeast, though, so your DD's may not be.

Have you tried CLO and evening primrose oil (for you) to help with her eczema? You can give her CLO directly if she'll take it. What probiotics are you giving her? You can do feremented foods or drinks (kombucha, water kefir, non-dairy yogurt) for yourself instead of probiotic powder/capsules--the fermented foods/drinks are much stronger (and much cheaper).

DD's eczema was just in the folds of her arms and legs, then looked like it "crept" on her inner thighs in angry raised red patches. Then all of a sudden she had red bumps all over her stomach like chicken pox. And later also on her back, arms, neck and chin. And it seems to be itching really, really bad. No diaper rash though, hardly ever. Could that be yeast?

I'm getting some CLO and evening primrose oil and am hoping to get water kefir grains and a non-dairy yoghurt starter here from the US in January, so I will start to do that. And I am learning to do fermented veggies. The probiotics is mainly for DD and then for me when we travel. I ordered Solarlay Babylife for her and my SIL is sending me dairy free ones for myself. No idea which brand though.

We have been completely dairy free for five days now. I tried to eliminate stuff earlier, but wasn't very dilligent. Now I completely avoid the top 8 and some other foods that I suspect might be a problem.

Nolansmom, thanks for the book recommendations. I will look into getting a hold of those.
#247 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAmama View Post
DD's eczema was just in the folds of her arms and legs, then looked like it "crept" on her inner thighs in angry raised red patches. Then all of a sudden she had red bumps all over her stomach like chicken pox. And later also on her back, arms, neck and chin. And it seems to be itching really, really bad. No diaper rash though, hardly ever. Could that be yeast?
Were they little bitty red bumps?

To some degree it doesn't matter whether she has yeast issues or not--most of the things that help yeast are good for general gut healing, too, and vice versa. You can figure it out as you go.
#248 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't know about the accuracy of that particular link, but I have read many time that small amounts of candida albicans in your system are actually beneficial

How is your herbal protocol going, Pattyla? Are you seeing improvement from it for yourself or your DD?
#249 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Forgot to mention that yes, there is *good* yeast that you need, just as there are beneficial bacteria, however, mercury (in *any* form) is toxic.
#250 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
Forgot to mention that yes, there is *good* yeast that you need, just as there are beneficial bacteria, however, mercury (in *any* form) is toxic.
Ok so he isn't really saying that candida is good for you, just that it is better than the alternative and does you a favor in helping deal with the mercury so killing it off (if you haven't gotten rid of the mercury) may do you more harm than good.

our family is <>< and :
#251 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 01:51 PM

In the spirit of introductions...

I think my 1yo has reflux. She has constant middle ear fluid/ear pain, back arching, very fussy/clingy, and cannot sleep (on me or in bed). In the past two weeks she has changed into a very different baby.

Where do I start? Probiotics, I think, right? How do you get them in a baby not so fond of a sippy cup? What diet do I need? We're dairy-free but no improvement. I don't want to do Zantac.

Thanks.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#252 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 02:43 PM

I posted this in dental but some of you could help me too.

Quote:
I found a local biological dentist. He came highly recomended by several different people.

www.toothandbodyconnection.com

Anyhow. He insisted that there is no increased danger to my dd from mercury exposure if he removes my fillings (properly) now. He wanted to see any articles that I had read which indicated that there would be. Of course now I'm not finding any. He did agree that chelation isn't possible while nursing but didn't see any reason why removal of the fillings would be dangerous when following the precautions that he follows.

So could anyone please send me in the right direction?

Thanks!

our family is <>< and :
#253 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 06:23 PM

I know this is a bit tangential but I really think my amalgams are tied into my gut health (and dd's)

I got this from Kellymom

Quote:
Amalgam dental fillings

A German study (Drexler 1998) found that during the first week after birth, the amount of mercury in the study mothers' milk was associated with the number of amalgam ("silver") dental fillings; at two months, the amount of mercury in breastmilk was much lower and associated with the mothers' fish consumption (rather than the number of amalgam fillings). These authors concluded that "the additional exposure to mercury of breast-fed babies from maternal amalgam fillings is of minor importance compared to maternal fish consumption." Some studies have found similar correlations between amalgam fillings and mercury levels (Drasch 1998, Oskarsson 1996), but another German study (Klemann 1990) found no correlation between the total surface area of the mother's amalgam dental fillings and mercury in amniotic fluid, maternal blood, newborn blood or breastmilk, and concluded that "maternal amalgam fillings are of no importance for the mercury load of the fetus and the neonate."

Development of children exposed to mercury via breastmilk

In the two long-term studies of children exposed to methylmercury via breastmilk, no adverse effects were documented; in fact, the breastfed children scored better on developmental tests. A study in the Seychelles islands (Grandjean 1995) found that babies who were exposed to methylmercury via their mothers' milk had higher developmental scores than formula fed babies, suggesting that "if methylmercury exposure from human milk had any adverse effect on milestone development in these infants, the effect was compensated for or overruled by advantages associated with nursing." Another study in the Faroe Islands (Jensen 2005) found "marginally better neuropsychological performance" in 7 year olds who had been exposed to methylmercury via breastmilk.

our family is <>< and :
#254 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I posted this in dental but some of you could help me too.
Oh Patty, your post raises the hair on the back of my neck. He may be a good dentist who follows proper protocol but there is ALWAYS a danger of mercury removal.

Please don't do it while b'feeding.

Have you looked at the iaomt site (I think that's it. If you can't find it lmk)

I wish you could speak to my dentist. He is a member of the above, follows proper protocol, is holistic etc. and he would NEVER touch mine while I am b'feeding. He won't even let his hygenists clean them.

As far as the amalgams being related to health. Absolutely. Have you read any of Andy Cutler's books? Look at his site too if you haven't already.
noamalgam.com

You've probably seen all this info already but please don't do it.

I'm convinced that dd's problems (immune system dysfunction and encephalopathy) not only had to do w/her vaxes early on, but also from my having fillings removed. Granted, I had them removed by a dentist who didn't know any better (or didn't care.)
#255 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
pattyla, you might check out the following link: http://www.holisticmed.com/dental/amalgam/

pay particular attention to item #11 on that page. it does cite the same fish reference as kellymom. however, after reading the abstract, i think the biggest flaw (especially with just reading the abstract) is that they attribute one's inherent mercury load to come from fish. we live in the midwest, we don't eat local or farmed fish (Indiana actually has a warning NOT to eat local fish because of overloads of both mercury and PCBs. yum) but we live in the midst of coal-fired power plants -- a MAJOR source of mercury contamination. i don't think the authors of the fish/breastmilk/mercury study take those mercury inputs into consideration.

while you could peruse this entire site, the particular reference should be helpful on its own: http://www.amalgam.org/#anchor48942

also this one: http://www.nelm.nhs.uk/Documents/QA7....doc?id=567958

the last one points out that nobody has conducted thorough studies to see the effect of amalgam removal whilst breastfeeding -- i can see that would be hard to get through the human subjects review boards at universities -- it would just be WRONG to conduct such a study.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#256 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
We can start our own "I've been trying to heal the gut for months now and my kid is getting worse" club:
I haven't read most of this thread, so forgive me, but this is one that caught my eye.

I think that it might be allergic reactions. DS is definately allergic to eggs and possibly all nuts. He is doing so much better with those totally out of his diet. Not even in Rotation right now. When he ate them every 4 days, he reacted very strongly. Which is weird since he used to have them almost every day on SCD without such a clear reaction (just long term I guess).

I think with babe's immune systems not being developed yet, a damaged gut just automatically means food allergies at such a young age. An adult's immune system might already have learned response not to react to foods, but not a child's.

We are still feeling it out, our Rotation diet is not perfect, but it seems to be helping. Nutritionist said take 'em out and try again in 3 months.
#257 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 11:05 PM

Patty,

IMHO it won't be worth the "what if". There's just not enough knowledge. I think there is only one small study that says the release during proper IAOMT protocol is negligable and in fact goes down. That is the one my dentist referred to
Quote:
V d) Amalgam Removal with Patient Protection

This study measures the mercury level when amalgams are removed following the IAOMT protocols presented above.

Molin, M., Berglund, J.R., Mackert, J.R., "Kinetics of Mercury in Blood and Urine after Amalgam Removal." J. Dental Research, 74:420,IADR abstract 159, (1995).

ABSTRACT: Even through a number of studies have not been able to reveal any correlation between subjective symptoms and amalgam load there still are speculations whether patients with subjective symptoms related by the patients themselves to their amalgam fillings could have a changed pattern of elimination of mercury. The aim of the present investigation was to study the elimination half-time of mercury in plasma, erythrocytes and urine over an extended period of time after amalgam removal in a group of 10 patients with subjective symptoms by the patients themselves referred to their amalgam fillings and a group of 8 healthy subjects. The average number of occlusal and total amalgam surfaces in the patient group were 13.0 (range 4-20) and 44.4 (range 24-68), respectively. Corresponding figures in the control group were 12.9 (range 10-16) and 40.9 (range 24-63).

The amalgam removal using rubber dam, water spray cutting and high volume vacuum evacuator, was carried out at one and the same time. Blood and urine samples were collected at two occasions before the amalgam removal, then blood was collected at thirty two occasions and urine at forty three occasions during the following year. The mercury content was analyzed by CVAAS technique.

The measured P-, Ery- and U-Hg concentrations before amalgam removal were slightly higher in the control group 6.43.3 nmol/L, 19.46.6 nmol/L, and 2.71.3 nmol/nmol creatinine respectively than in the symptom group 5.61.8 nmol/L, 14.88.8 nmol/L, and 1.60.9 nmol/nmol creatinine respectively.

The Hg-concentrations did not significantly increase in the two groups after amalgam removal. Six days after the removal the plasma mean concentration was significantly decreased at P level and ten days after the decrease was at a permanent P level. The mean Ery-Hg level was significantly decreased after eleven days (p), a level that remained stable for the rest of the year. The mean U-Hg level was significantly decreased one month after the removal and after six months the mean level was reduced with 80 % compared to the initial level in both groups.

The conclusion to be drawn for the present study is that the symptom group did not have a changed pattern of elimination of mercury compared to the healthy group.
According to Cutler's information you would need to wean in 3 mos. anyhow b/c that is when your blood levels will go up due to your organs starting to dump their accumulated load. However, I have also seen studies which say it just goes down. I haven't seen one that shows a bump and I forget where Cutler gets this from. (Lot of help I'm being!) He did say that not eating sulfur foods are very helpful for Hg/Candida type people.
#258 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
GaleForce did the candida diet I'm doing and added yogurt and kefir in after a few months. I think she said she didn't really do any supplementing with her diet.
I did the candida diet and did not cheat even one little tiny bit for about six months. I lost a lot of weight and was looking very good. I've since gained it back and cannot go on a strict diet to save my life. :

After about a month into the diet I added homemade yogurt. I also added beans about 2x/week when I wanted to reduce my weight loss. After about nine months I added kefir and noticed a very big difference with that. I think both the yogurt and kefir helped.

The diet was no grain, no dairy (except for the yogurt and kefir I added), no high starch vegetables, no vinegar, no high mold foods (like mushrooms). There were surely other restrictions I've forgotten. It was a miserable diet and I was able to do it so strictly because I thought I would have to wean my son if I didn't and I had OCD-like behavior which compelled me to be very strict. I took antifungals on occasion but reacted to them and so generally did not include them. It was pretty much all diet. My health has continued to improve even though I've allowed some grains back in.

My diet for the last two weeks is apparently a coffee-based diet, so I may be working on my gut again before we know it. :

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#259 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminthecity View Post
Hi Caedmyn,

I don't know if I asked you what your regimen is and what you take in detail if possible. With me I first need to go strick with foods. Do you think if I PM/email JaneS and Galeforce they would post what they did. I like to try other peoples choices/remedies that I may have not even thought about.
I will say that the most helpful things to me were SCD, enzymes (with and between meals), CLO, bone broths and raw milk yogurt and kefir. I did a short protocol of oil of oregano too right when I weaned DS (a good brand, I think Gaia) that was helpful. I didn't do SCD for a full year. I found that enzymes finished the job for me as there was such a clear improvement in a short time. Once I got used to high proteases without freaking myself out that is, they made me hyper at first but really worth it.
#260 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 11:27 PM

Amanda and my ears were burning at same time!
#261 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 11:30 PM

Oh and I suffered a setback a couple months ago due to stress over DS and probably too many grains ... and drinking kefir and eating the kefir grains everyday fixed me up really fast.
#262 of 395 Old 12-15-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Nolansmum/anyone with kids with eczema--how quickly does eczema appear/worsen after you or your DC ingest an allergen? DD's arms are COVERED with eczema tonight, and she has never had visible eczema on her arms before--little patches I could feel yes, but nothing visible. And these patches weren't there this morning!

Could it be the almond butter she reacted to 3 days ago? Or I made some homemade coconut milk chocolate pudding this morning--could she have reacted with eczema that quickly? Also, my mom came to visit from out of state this afternoon--is it possible that DD reacted to the detergent on my mom's clothes? My mom doesn't wear any perfumes or use fabric softeners on her clothes.

I feel like DD is turning into one of those kids who is allergic to absolutely everything. I feel like she needs to be kept in a bubble right now or something--I mean, she was chewing on the shopping cart today at the store, who knows what food residues could have been on that. She's not even a year old--I can't keep her from touching/chewing on things!
Sorry, I should read in the right order instead of backwards...

I have seen anything from immediate to one hour to next day reactions. Coconut was one of DS's worst, his skin broke out from it so I actually removed long before testing. I was always thinking die off from coconut too, but his is definitely an allergy... it produced a HUGE wheal in testing, and then 3 days later the spot inflamed again and got itchy, really weird. Second only to the enormous quarter sized bump that peanut produced.
#263 of 395 Old 12-16-2006, 12:03 AM

I'm inclined to get my fillings out. Not necessarily because I think it will help dd (I don't) but I think it probably won't hurt her and it will help me and any future children I may be lucky enough to conceive.

My mouth tastes like metal 24/7. I have plenty of other symptoms of mercury although not the most severe ones to be sure. My candida that won't go away is a biggie though.

I'm sick of this stupid diet that isn't getting me anywhere and costs an arm and a leg to maintain as well as all our friendships, and is taking a toll on my marriage as well. We have been just straight out since dd was born. The diet has improved dd's behavior a ton but my time spent managing her has just been replace with time spent researching, shopping and cooking. I still don't have any time to just be me.

I'm 35 and my dd isn't even remotely ready to wean. She now nurses every 3-4 hours durring the day and every 2-3 hours overnight. I think she'll nurse untill she is 5 or even older most likely. I can't take this away from her. Nursing is so important to her. I can't wait untill I'm 40 to have baby #2 and I can't continue ttc in good concience with this mercury in my body, esp if my fillings are breaking down (which I fear is why I now taste metal all the time). If we decided to adopt instead I will would really want to nurse my adopted baby and don't want to nurse with tainted bm.

DD doesn't get a lot of milk from me. When I had to temporarilly wean her a couple of weeks ago for a test I only pumped 3 oz or so of milk in the 24 hours that I needed to pump. I didn't pump as much as she wanted to nurse but I never had a huge ammount of milk to pump, even when I felt full.

No decisions have been made at this point and I do welcome anyone who can talk me out of this.

our family is <>< and :
#264 of 395 Old 12-16-2006, 12:32 AM

It's really hard I know. It sucks that it feels like "Sophie's Choice".

I had a hard time thinking about weaning DS too but it was so much easier than I thought it was going to be. I remember our last session. I was crying and told him the whole story of his birth and his life so far. How I will always be there for him, love him and do my very best for him. And how we had to stop bf'ing, I didn't want to, but right now I thought it was best for us. I swear he listened to me and accepted it (he was 2) he didn't ask when I didn't offer. He just held me and cuddled from then on, it was pretty surprising. Of course your babe might be different. And I had spent several months not offering, distracting and cutting out feedings with DH taking over bedtime stuff. So I had cut out all daytime feeds and when I weaned I just didn't do bedtime or nightwakings for a long while.

Now I wonder if taking away bm was the deciding factor in DS getting worse or giving him coconut milk which I know now he is hugely allergic to?? I just don't know. And really you might have to live with not knowing the real reasons either and being at peace with whatever decision to make. Once you are at that point of peace, you will know it is the right decision no matter what the outcome ends up being. You can say, I really did the best I could and listened to my heart.

Just don't back yourself into a corner, you can't possibly do everything. A healthy and happy mama, and a healthy future sibling, might mean more to your DD's long life than continuing to nurse right now.

For me the whole issue became so overwhelming... from my reading, my dental history, DS's hair test, that I simply had to do something about it and get my fillings out. I do regret it for the fact that I had to do it. But I don't regret doing it. Maybe it helped me heal, maybe not. Maybe it made DS worse, maybe not. But whatever the outcome, I can say I did the best I could at the time.
#265 of 395 Old 12-16-2006, 12:44 AM

More late night maudlin thoughts on weaning: it is, for me, a way to examine my personality regarding relationships too. Weaning was hard for me when seen in that way and still is when I think about it. It is such a deeply personal act. Very enlightening when able to be examined. Thinking this way deepened my commitment to DS, because I had to be present and nurturing for him in a different way. Not that I did anything that different or wasn't present before, it just made me more aware of my responsibility. And frankly, remembering to be more patient, loving and grateful with a child going through such difficult times since birth! (ie sleep issues)
#266 of 395 Old 12-16-2006, 01:57 AM

When I discuss weaning with dd I might as well be speaking chineese. It is that foreign an idea to her. We have tried to night wean a couple of times. It has been a huge failure that left dd distraught and it took a looooonnnnnggg time for her to get over it (after we abandoned the effort). The fact that she nurses so little durring the day is a result of my working very hard to not be available to nurse. It is harder at night when you co-sleep.

If I were to wean dd now and then never got pg and ended up adopting a baby who either never could figure out how to nurse or an older child I would totally regret it. So much has gone wrong in DD's life, this is one thing that I want to get right. I want to let her self wean.

I'm just not convinced that the mercury in bm is that bio-available and even less convinced that dd takes in enough of my bm for it to be significant enough to wean her over it. If she was a n/b that would be a different story.

our family is <>< and :
#267 of 395 Old 12-16-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyla
So much has gone wrong in DD's life, this is one thing that I want to get right.
OH mama, I hear you.

Why do you think the Hg is not bioavailable? Have you done a hair test on her? Maybe that would help you decide either way. I think it is less of an issue to wean now over Hg load, but more importantly to decide whether to continue while getting the fillings out and afterwards.
#268 of 395 Old 12-16-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
No decisions have been made at this point and I do welcome anyone who can talk me out of this.
I hear ya on the reasons you want to get the amalgams out. Do you *really* want someone to talk you out of it?

It does suck that you feel damned if you do, damned if you don't. Maybe your amalgams (and mine) are leeching out too many toxins right now. Maybe the removal of them (even while b'feeding) would *not* be so hazardous. It's such a hard decision and there is NO RESEARCH on this topic.

My dd had my *really* tainted milk (after haphadard removal) while she was almost a n/b so it's hard to compare your dd w/mine.

I often wonder if dd2 would be better off w/out my milk. : Who knows.

It's almost impossible to know.

Just thinking out loud here - - Maybe you don't have to have them removed right away. Maybe you can give yourself x amount of time to nurse dd, then get the fillings out, then chelate and then ttc.

Have you read any of this thread?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=471795
#269 of 395 Old 12-16-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
I did the candida diet and did not cheat even one little tiny bit for about six months. I lost a lot of weight and was looking very good. I've since gained it back and cannot go on a strict diet to save my life. :

After about a month into the diet I added homemade yogurt. I also added beans about 2x/week when I wanted to reduce my weight loss. After about nine months I added kefir and noticed a very big difference with that. I think both the yogurt and kefir helped.

The diet was no grain, no dairy (except for the yogurt and kefir I added), no high starch vegetables, no vinegar, no high mold foods (like mushrooms). There were surely other restrictions I've forgotten. It was a miserable diet and I was able to do it so strictly because I thought I would have to wean my son if I didn't and I had OCD-like behavior which compelled me to be very strict. I took antifungals on occasion but reacted to them and so generally did not include them. It was pretty much all diet. My health has continued to improve even though I've allowed some grains back in.

My diet for the last two weeks is apparently a coffee-based diet, so I may be working on my gut again before we know it. :

Amanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
I will say that the most helpful things to me were SCD, enzymes (with and between meals), CLO, bone broths and raw milk yogurt and kefir. I did a short protocol of oil of oregano too right when I weaned DS (a good brand, I think Gaia) that was helpful. I didn't do SCD for a full year. I found that enzymes finished the job for me as there was such a clear improvement in a short time. Once I got used to high proteases without freaking myself out that is, they made me hyper at first but really worth it.
Quote:
Oh and I suffered a setback a couple months ago due to stress over DS and probably too many grains ... and drinking kefir and eating the kefir grains everyday fixed me up really fast.
Thank you all for answering my questions. For what you all have been doing I believe I am on the right track I pretty much do what you all do, but I need to buckle down on myself. Also I think the kefir is going to make a big difference. I just had my first homemade batch last night and thorough out the night (while sleeping) I had weird sensations (I think good) my rash isn't worse, but a little itchy, I think it is repairing the skin. What kind of symptoms did you all have. Did you use fruit in your kefir, because that is the only way I can take kefir. Is it ok to have sourdough bread (I want to make it with kefir and no store yeast), if it is ok and you all made your bread this way can you post the receip please.
#270 of 395 Old 12-16-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
OH mama, I hear you.

Why do you think the Hg is not bioavailable? Have you done a hair test on her? Maybe that would help you decide either way. I think it is less of an issue to wean now over Hg load, but more importantly to decide whether to continue while getting the fillings out and afterwards.
The fact that inorganic mercury is minimally bioavailable.

The fact that studies of breast feeding children who were born to mothers with fillings has shown that their blood mercury levels drop over that first year of life (while they are nursing).

The fact that fillings are mostly inorganic mercury. The main reason it gets into my blood is because my fillings get scratches and it vaporizes the mercury and I get it as inhalation mercury. If it was just going down my throat it wouldn't increase my blood mercury nearly as much.

I'm considering the hair test on both of us, but I thought I heard it wasn't good for nursing moms and babes?

our family is <>< and :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page