I don't think it was the carrots. The problem in the juice was not the juice itself but that people were taking the juice that should have been put in the fridge and storing it in their pantry/room temperature. Carrots are a low acid food and can grow botulism--so carrots and green beans and other low acid foods that aren't canned properly are the most common botulism sources in adults. Since the juice wasn't "canned properly" (should have been in the fridge) and yet people didn't put it in the fridge it grew botulism--in two cases I think--no one else who put it in the fridge got sick and none of it tested positive for it other than those cases where it sat out for a week or more. Also the carrot juice affected was actually well before the recall period; by the time the recall notice came out all the affected juice had expired--they just recalled all of it and the new carrot juice will be canned essentially (ick..). I doubt your friend left the carrots out for days and even if she did I don't think they would be dangerous. (oh, I know all this because my boys drank gallons of bolthouse carrot juice during the recall period, including the recalled batches, and I had a bit of a panic when the recall came out). I think it is most likely (most cases of infant botulism) it was dust. Botulism is in dust, dirt, etc. everywhere.
Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys!
My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement