pertussis help please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 12-14-2006, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We've been battling pertussis for weeks now, DD2 is not doing too well, and I really don't know what else to do. She is 7 wks old, she did not have antibiotics. i've been taking at least 375mg per kg of SA for my weight since she was 3 weeks old, that is when we got a positive test for DD1. I attempted mixing her own up in BM and giving it to her via a dropper, she always managed to spit most of it back up, but holds my BM down better. I got a mild case of pertussis a couple weeks ago, DD2 started getting symptoms when she was 4 weeks old, just a slight cough, it didn't increase until the beginning of last week. By last weekend she was getting lethergic, she was vomiting (after coughing so hard) half of her feedings back up again, by sunday night she had stopped nursing all together. We ended up in the hospital for several days so DD2 could get rehydrated via an IV, I avoid the hospital and docs normally, but this had to be done, she was not coming around on her own. We also learned while we were there that her O2 levels were very low, we live at 7,000 ft, so she is on O2 now. We came home last night, and her coughing fits have increased again. They are truly awful, tonight was the first night were she turned blue, and I was terrified. She has also decreasedher nursing again today, I'm trying so hard to get her to nurse, finally I get some in her, only to see her throw it back up again. DD2 does a decent job of getting the mucous out, she coughs up alot of it. I don't want to end back up in the hospital, I really don't know what else to do for her.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#2 of 51 Old 12-14-2006, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no advice, but hugs for you and your family
#3 of 51 Old 12-14-2006, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
If you start to get scared, go to the hospital. And don't feel bad about going to the hospital as many times as you need to.
#4 of 51 Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
We've been battling pertussis for weeks now, DD2 is not doing too well, and I really don't know what else to do. She is 7 wks old, she did not have antibiotics. i've been taking at least 375mg per kg of SA for my weight since she was 3 weeks old, that is when we got a positive test for DD1. I attempted mixing her own up in BM and giving it to her via a dropper, she always managed to spit most of it back up, but holds my BM down better. I got a mild case of pertussis a couple weeks ago, DD2 started getting symptoms when she was 4 weeks old, just a slight cough, it didn't increase until the beginning of last week. By last weekend she was getting lethergic, she was vomiting (after coughing so hard) half of her feedings back up again, by sunday night she had stopped nursing all together. We ended up in the hospital for several days so DD2 could get rehydrated via an IV, I avoid the hospital and docs normally, but this had to be done, she was not coming around on her own. We also learned while we were there that her O2 levels were very low, we live at 7,000 ft, so she is on O2 now. We came home last night, and her coughing fits have increased again. They are truly awful, tonight was the first night were she turned blue, and I was terrified. She has also decreasedher nursing again today, I'm trying so hard to get her to nurse, finally I get some in her, only to see her throw it back up again. DD2 does a decent job of getting the mucous out, she coughs up alot of it. I don't want to end back up in the hospital, I really don't know what else to do for her.

I would try to get the vitamin C back into her again. Wait until she throws the mucous out, and then if you give it to her at that time, she has a much better chance of keeping it down.

Here are some cuts and pastes of previous posts:

With any cough, particularly whooping cough, here is what I do. I turn the baby round, with its back to mine. I split my legs, so the baby is supported around the tummy but the legs are straight down. My hands make a net around the baby’s ribcage and tummy, and when the baby coughs, I lean forward slightly and use the hands as a very gentle net so that the baby has something for the tummy to push against. I give the baby some pressure to use, but I do not press in hard. They haven't learned to control their abdominal muscles to get an efficient cough yet, so that hands make it much easier for them. If it is whooping cough, then you will get a thick clear mucusy glob ejected onto your floor. Better out than in. Don't attempt to catch it, or you may drop the baby. I just put newspaper on the floor and caught it that way. If it is whooping cough, then the cough will become more regular. Maybe every hour, on the hour. This is because it takes around an hour for the mucus to pool at the bottom of the bronchial tube.

The cough is caused by the bacteria adhering to the bronchial walls, and secreting a toxin which cuts of the cilia (hairs) in the bronchials. These hairs sweep the mucus up and sown the throat. The bronchial hairs moves the mucus around all the time, so that it replaces and at the same time gets rid of any pathogens. (If it didn't do this, then we would die of all the bacteria and viruses and muck we breathe in that gets stuck in it.)

This mucus is part of the inate immune system. It is linked to the BALT (Bronchial associated lymphatic tissue) as I understand it. (Just put that in in case someone decides to rain down coals on my head..) so you must keep the mucus moving. What whooping cough does it by cutting off the hairs, it stops the mucus moving. So long as you keep the mucus moving your baby should not get a secondary infection.

The other thing the toxin can do is get into the blood-stream, and irritate the body.

If the mucus is not got out bacteria will grow and cause a secondary bacterial infection, which they will want to treat with antibiotics. They say whooping cough in rare cases, can cause long-lasting bronchial problems. Yes it can, if you treat it the way the doctors do IMO, doing nothing other than antibiotics. Just using antibiotics does not deal with the pooling mucus, or manage it, or deal with the toxin. If you keep the mucus moving (you can also use gentle postural drainage if you want) there should be nor further problems other than the cough itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The vitamin C neutralises any toxins in the blood and should stabilise the baby if you can give it to her at the best time so she doesn't throw up.

With babies the best thing is to start a feed, and then pause for the gag to cut in, then let them cough and chuck up the mucuos then immediately feed them again, and you will find that the feed stays down more often.

Get the SA in to breastmilk, and have it ready, so that she chucks, you feed, and try to insert the SA at the same time.

It becomes a "management" game, and the key is to get as much in as possible immediately after a chuck session.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#5 of 51 Old 12-14-2006, 11:37 PM

Let us know if this works, and if not, please come back and give detailed symptoms, and I'll look up in my homeopathy book and see if there is something that might break the cycle.

While some here consider homeopathy doesn't work, this is one occasion when to use it is a good idea . After all, if it doesn't work, you're right where you were before.

“I want to sell drugs to everyone. I want to sell drugs to healthy people. I want drugs to sell like chewing gum.” former Merck CEO, Henry Gadsden

#6 of 51 Old 12-14-2006, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks MT. My ND had recommended pertussinum 200C one a day for dd2 but honestly I haven't noticed any difference. In fact I took it when I had my bad coughing spells and it made my fits worse, spongia helped me more, I had a really barking cough though.

DD2's mucous comes in spells, her cough will be really dry for most of the day, then get really congested and out comes the mucous. but she'll still throw up with the dry cough, sometimes I can see the mucous in it, other times it's not there. I always hold her up with a little pressure on her stomach, I usually can't get her turned around now before her coughing gets bad and moving her seems to make it worse, we get tangled up in her oxygen tubing. So I've been putting her over the back of my shoulder and putting the pressure on her stomach that way.

I'll try giving her the SA that way tonight and let you know how it goes.

#7 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks MT. My ND had recommended pertussinum 200C one a day for dd2 but honestly I haven't noticed any difference. In fact I took it when I had my bad coughing spells and it made my fits worse, spongia helped me more, I had a really barking cough though.
I don't use pertussinum here. I've not found it useful.

Quote:
DD2's mucous comes in spells, her cough will be really dry for most of the day, then get really congested and out comes the mucous. but she'll still throw up with the dry cough, sometimes I can see the mucous in it, other times it's not there. I always hold her up with a little pressure on her stomach, I usually can't get her turned around now before her coughing gets bad and moving her seems to make it worse, we get tangled up in her oxygen tubing. So I've been putting her over the back of my shoulder and putting the pressure on her stomach that way.
That's okay, you'll just collect it down the neck, that's all.

Quote:
I'll try giving her the SA that way tonight and let you know how it goes.
Stick up a piece of paper and write out the pattern for the next 24 hours, when she sleeps, how she sleeps, what annoys her, what motion; what makes her relax and feel happier, and if necessary, you sleep in a lazy boy rocker or something, with her angled up your chest.

I'll keep checking this thread over the next few days, and if you want me to find a homepathic I will.

Sometimes you have to use sulphur 30 first, to clear the picture though...

#8 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 12:05 AM

Where is the 02 tubing put in?

#9 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

We have a oxygen concentrator at home that she is hooked up to, when she was on the continous monitoring at the hospital her O2 levels were dropping way down when not coughing. I've noticed an improvement in her alertness while on the O2 as compared to last week.

Yep, the back of my shirt is covered in dried mucous.

I'll keep a list going.

Another thing, my chiro told me to give DD2 Nat Sulph drops, 3 once a day and that would help her cough up the mucous, and I have noticed that she coughs the mucous up easier while on the drops.

#10 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 05:04 AM

Let's see how it goes.

But even if you *think* she's better, you should give her the vitamin C. Pertussis is one of those infections with little babies where you have more to be worried about if they go quiet than if they are wriggling and coughing.

If the vitamin C gets into her, you will notice a big reduction in coughing, but there should also be an increase in alertness.

It's not just the oxygen that's making her less alert, its the levels of pertussis toxin that depresses her system. If you get that toxin out of the system, the alertness will come back, and she'll be a lot noisier. Also the vitamin C with some babies thins the mucus a bit, so it may feel as if she's coughing up more to start with.

Keep careful notes, because at times like this, its not easy to remember. If you have a good working sheet in the fridge all the time, its much easier to see where you've been and where you are going.

Some parents keep a planner on the fridge with each week drawn up, and they put down when coughing spells are etc... and usually quite apart from your instinct, you can see very clearly when they are over the hump. But again, don't stop vitamin C at that point. Just start to tail the doses downwards.

This is old, but its still relevant.

http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorba...-p1884-eng.htm

#11 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 05:09 AM

Just had a thought. Your additional option is to buy some liposomal vitamin C, which works "inside out" in that it deals with the blood before the mucous membranes. Dr Thomas Levy's site has something on it about it:

http://tomlevymd.com/archiveissue9.htm

Also, liposomal is absorbed through the mouth without being digested and therefore you have a better chance of getting it into the system.

His website has his e-mail and I'm sure if you e-mailed him, he would reply:

http://tomlevymd.com/ At least, I hope he would.

#12 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

all during the night DD2 would throw back the SA, but keep down the nursing sessions were I didn't attempt to sneak in the SA. I would nurse a little, wait fro her to cough up the mucous (she is really mucousy right now, her cough sounds very congested), and then nurse again, sneaking in the SA every now and then. I mixed up a small amount with BM to start with, it would make her gag and she'd throw everything back up. She has always had a very sensitive stomach to begin with.

So if she has the pertussis toxin in her blood stream then would that increase her WBC to really high levels? I'm not remembering what it was, lack of sleep here, but I know the docs were really concerned about a secondary bacterial infection because the levels were so high, but blood cultures were negative.

I'm looking into getting some liposomal vit c shipped me, that sounds like it would be a good choice at this point, I'm in a rural area and the closest distributor is several hundred miles away. Since it is going to be at least a day, maybe monday before I get get some (overnight service really doesn't exist here), can I increase my SA consumption even more and hope that maybe some will get to her?

She hasn't had another coughing fit where she has turned blue again, but they are still frequent and nasty, she struggles so much and is so little to begin with. She is only 8.5 lbs now, she hasn't been able to gain much weight during all this.

Thank you so much for helping us, I have spent days at the computer researching but this info this nearly impossible to find.

#13 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

A homepathic remedy would be great. I'll get a friend to pick up sulphur for me to start with.

#14 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
We've been battling pertussis for weeks now, DD2 is not doing too well, and I really don't know what else to do. She is 7 wks old, she did not have antibiotics.
My understanding is that antibiotics don't help the one with pertussis, but prevent her from being contagious early on (of course you may know this and it is only fyi that she didn't have them ).

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#15 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 01:31 PM

:
#16 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'mmykid'$mom View Post
My understanding is that antibiotics don't help the one with pertussis, but prevent her from being contagious early on (of course you may know this and it is only fyi that she didn't have them ).
I knew that, and chose not to give them to her.

#17 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 03:34 PM

I do hope your little one is feeling much better soon.

I was able to manage my baby's cough (he was 4 months) with my intake of SA. However I also had pertussis, so my body allowed me to consume high amounts of SA. If I remember correctly (sadly I didn't keep notes so things are a tad hazy) 12 grams of SA was the amount I had to take to keep baby's cough from getting worse. When I dropped to 10 grams, the cough would get worse. For me at that time, 20 grams was where bowel tolerance kicked in, which amazes me now.
Hope you can glean a tad bit from my experience.

Oh, something else that I did with my little guy, I would vary the amount of pressure on his tummy when he coughed, according to the rhythem of the cough. It was fairly instinctive to know when to gently press a little bit harder and when to relax, to help the tummy muscles work like an older childs would during a coughing spell.
#18 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to bump this over to Health and Healing.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#19 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 04:07 PM

Are you taking Vitamin C to bowel tolerance yourself? This would increase the concentration of it in your breastmilk. At least the little bit you could get her to drink would have a better profile then.
#20 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ok maybe i'm doing it wrong but I've never been able to get to bowel intolerance, I'm doubled over with severe stomach cramps far before that point. I'v been on 13g of SA for a month now every day. I take 3g when I wake up, and then spread the rest out during my waking hours. I went up to 15-16g for a while and had the cramping, I still get them with the 13g on some days, not to mention the gas. I take citrus bioflavanoids to a ratio of 5g of SA to 1g of bioflavanoids.

#21 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 04:25 PM

What type of Vitamin C are you taking? Is it by chance a "natural" or ascorbic acid?
#22 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

It's Sodium Ascorbate, the NOW brand.

#23 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 04:32 PM

hmmmm. I would suggest then that you might be at bowel tolerance. It could be that the gas is an indication of that for you. Your intestines are reacting, they just aren't doing so in the classical fashion. Maybe you're a fiber queen more than the rest of us or something.
#24 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 07:00 PM

Okay, I'm presuming that your pertussis is probably mild because you've been taking Vit C for a while. If you stop it, your level of coughing will drastically increase within 24 hours, but I wouldn't want to do that, because I suspect and have no evidence for it, since "they" won't study it that the level of pertussis toxin in your breastmilk would increase, which might increase her load. So No1 priority is to keep your pertussis as mild as possible, gas or no gas.

Quote:
all during the night DD2 would throw back the SA, but keep down the nursing sessions were I didn't attempt to sneak in the SA. I would nurse a little, wait fro her to cough up the mucous (she is really mucousy right now, her cough sounds very congested), and then nurse again, sneaking in the SA every now and then. I mixed up a small amount with BM to start with, it would make her gag and she'd throw everything back up. She has always had a very sensitive stomach to begin with.
Ah, now that I didn't know.

Stop giving her the SA.

It's much more important that she keeps down the breastmilk.

Use the liposomal for you, because it gets into your body better. Cut back your SA once you get the liposomal, to reduce the gas for you, but your aim for yourself is to cut your cough back to pretty much as little as possible, because that means your system is a "clean" as possible, and your macrophages etc, can get in there in the immune cascade, and chomp up the bacteria. I view vitamin C as the thing that clears away the impeding sludge in the body and clears the pathway so that the immune system can get on with its job, which is to track down, complementise (a word I just made up based on the fact that complement circles pathogens as part of the process) the bacteria, and nuke it.

They say there there is a "block" mechanism with breastmilk, so that the concentration of Vitamin C will only go up so far, but that doesn't explain why when mothers take higher amounts, their babies cough gets less. I think there might be a double mechanism here. It might be that the mother's breastmilk levels of toxin are reduced, or that more gets through the breastmilk than standard medical literature allows for.

The problem is that because the medical profession don't believe that vitamin C works, they won't study the best way to get it into babies, because to them, its a non sequiteur.

(Meaning to doctors that the conclusion is a fallacy (vitamin C works), therefore the premise is not warranted (lets try this and see) )

Tom Levy's page that I gave you, gives a good description of how the various vitamin C works, and what might work best, and based on that, if you want, I'd e-mail him and ask him whether he's used liposomal in babies.

Given that liposomal doesn't require a digestive system then it might be part the answer for you to increase your levels without stomach cramps, and part the answer for her, to bypass what is already a sensitive stomach.

He might just suggest a smear in her mouth every now and again. Then again he might suggest something else.

Quote:
So if she has the pertussis toxin in her blood stream then would that increase her WBC to really high levels? I'm not remembering what it was, lack of sleep here, but I know the docs were really concerned about a secondary bacterial infection because the levels were so high, but blood cultures were negative.
Okay, that I didn't know as well.

High WBC's in pertussis are sometimes associated with a secondary infection with a pneumonaie type bacteria, so this is why its important to keep the mucuous moving out. If you get any pooling of mucus, that is when a secondary bacteria gets into the stuck mucus and goes for it. That's why the body is designed to constantly circulate the lung mucus, so that bacteria is removed and the surface stays clear.

So while its important to maximise her rest, its also important to keep the mucus moving. Which in management terms could be tricky.

How are your energy levels? The reason I ask, is that premie sick babies put on more weight through kangaroo care, rather than being allowed to "sleep on their own". I know she's throwing mucus everywhere, but I'd be looking for a very comfortable something on the front, and carry her all the time in the day. She's only 8.5 pounds so that's a plus right now. That means you have to work out an oxygen system. You could end up looking like a unique walking christmas tree with bells. .

How to carry them is another thing. The position they are in in a sling, or car-seat is IMO very dangerous. It closes the airways, and doesn't help mucus circulation. I'd be wanting her head "between your breast" level, and her bot below your belly button. Or if you can rig up something safe and permanent that has her chin on your shoulder with some means that she can relax her neck, then that's great. Remember too, that her neck area should be kept warm. If babies go to sleep and get a cold neck it stiffens up and causes them pain. So if my babies were sleeping over my should there had a turtle neck and hoodie arrangement. You don't want her getting cold, and neither do you want her overheating. But you want her to be lulled to sleep by motion and at the same time, that motion keeping her body moving, and the mucus moving. Yes, she may cough more regularly, but it will require less energy as there will be less pooling than if she lies still on a bed. That's when pooling can catch up on you.

Quote:
I'm looking into getting some liposomal vit c shipped me, that sounds like it would be a good choice at this point, I'm in a rural area and the closest distributor is several hundred miles away. Since it is going to be at least a day, maybe monday before I get get some (overnight service really doesn't exist here), can I increase my SA consumption even more and hope that maybe some will get to her?
Well, that's a tricky balance, becuase if increasing it more gives you excrutiating stomach cramps, then you will not be in much of a fit state to look after her.

I think right now, your priority is mucus management, keeping it moving, keeping her as happy as you can, and not giving yourself stomach cramps.

given that pertussis is a ten armed paper hanging occupation, what are you eating at the moment, and how regularly? Are you having any probiotics of any kind?

Quote:
She hasn't had another coughing fit where she has turned blue again, but they are still frequent and nasty, she struggles so much and is so little to begin with. She is only 8.5 lbs now, she hasn't been able to gain much weight during all this.
Okay, its the blue ones you need to avoid, so you have to keep the mucus moving. And keep the feeds down in her tummy.

And you need to sing to her, and yourself; have nice calming music going, eat well, and just roll with this. Like the willow tree...

Quote:
Thank you so much for helping us, I have spent days at the computer researching but this info this nearly impossible to find.
It is, because its all anecdotal, comes from experience, and people are too scared to talk about it, because doctors get upset when you suggest there are ways of managing it outside their knowledge. Also, there have been people here who have accused me of "practicing without a licence". My attitude to this, is that the doctors have done all they could. There is no more they have to offer that is of use, so if anything I say makes things better than why should I not "practice without a licence"? After all, what harm does it do beyond stomach gas for you?

#25 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 07:13 PM

Will be back shortly.

Am going to type up a homeopathic list and other bits on an Email and will post it here and file it.

#26 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

I stopped the SA during the night when i realized it wasn't going to stay down no matter what I did, she has not thrown up since then. i ordered the liposomal, I doubt I will get it before next week, I live in the middle of nowhere. I'll e-mail Levy and ask. She is constantly held, she literally just gets put down for diaper changes. She sleeps in my arms, I pitched a fit in the hospital until I was brought a regular bed so I could sleep with her. I discovered last week that the mucous drained out easier if she was upright, so that's how she has been. As soon as she is done nursing then she goes over the back of my shoulder or vertical on my chest, I prop us up to sleep. And when I need a minute for a shower or something then she gets handed off to DH, if he isn't here then I call my mom to come hold her, she is always in arms. I walk alot with her, but will increase the motion.

My diet is not the best at the moment considering, I have been existing off of take out and what friends drop by. Normally I have a fairly decent diet. My gut is usually great, I frequently do rounds of probiotics, and I make my own cultured yogurt and eat it by the gallon. I have done one round of probiotics since this started, and I'm still eating yogurt, but it's a good store bought kind. I have one more packet of probiotics in the fridge,I'll have DH pick me up some more.

#27 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, so you got me thinking MT. Over the weekend when DD2 was really out of it, she slept even more then normal, she spiked several fevers that would vanish after a few hours, was she maybe starting to get a secondary infection? Her last fever went away just a couple hours after she puked up a huge volume of mucous, it was coming out her nose, gobs of it, it was everywhere.

#28 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 09:20 PM

I can not offer the great advice MT has for you however I know what you are going through. My dd had pertussis at 6 mo i know thats a difference then your tiny baby but I know your fear. I know the blue face coughing when it doesnt seem they get there breath its terrifying. I noticed alot of support for her coughs held alot I would sit her up in my lap her back to my tummy and out my hand over her stomach and chest giving her just alittle pressure to help her cough it up. The phlem would come shooting out of her mouth and plop on hte floor. We used alot of SA and homeopathy which helped alot I think. We were at week 4 when I started SA and she cleared pretty fast after that.

Many hugs to you momma and if there is anythign I can do please let me know

amy
#29 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Hmm, so you got me thinking MT. Over the weekend when DD2 was really out of it, she slept even more then normal, she spiked several fevers that would vanish after a few hours, was she maybe starting to get a secondary infection? Her last fever went away just a couple hours after she puked up a huge volume of mucous, it was coming out her nose, gobs of it, it was everywhere.
Yes, that would fit.

So keep the mucous coming out so that nothing can get established, and keep her upright. You're doing really well you know... and working it out without my help anyway.

will post the homeopathy soon.

#30 of 51 Old 12-15-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I stopped the SA during the night when i realized it wasn't going to stay down no matter what I did, she has not thrown up since then. i ordered the liposomal, I doubt I will get it before next week, I live in the middle of nowhere. I'll e-mail Levy and ask.
Good, I think that that's the best idea. Get it anyway, but just ask him for some refining ideas of a protocol.

Quote:
She is constantly held, she literally just gets put down for diaper changes. She sleeps in my arms, I pitched a fit in the hospital until I was brought a regular bed so I could sleep with her. I discovered last week that the mucous drained out easier if she was upright, so that's how she has been.
Great, you're getting it sussed. It makes me mad when the hospital puts them flat, tells you to leave them alone, then gets mad that the mucous build up is fast and hard to clear
Quote:
As soon as she is done nursing then she goes over the back of my shoulder or vertical on my chest, I prop us up to sleep. And when I need a minute for a shower or something then she gets handed off to DH, if he isn't here then I call my mom to come hold her, she is always in arms. I walk alot with her, but will increase the motion.
I wouldn't do anything above what is normal in your day, because you don't need to wear yourself out at the moment. The key to surviving pertussis is pacing your day.

Quote:
My diet is not the best at the moment considering, I have been existing off of take out and what friends drop by. Normally I have a fairly decent diet. My gut is usually great, I frequently do rounds of probiotics, and I make my own cultured yogurt and eat it by the gallon. I have done one round of probiotics since this started, and I'm still eating yogurt, but it's a good store bought kind. I have one more packet of probiotics in the fridge,I'll have DH pick me up some more.
Okay, just be careful that the dairy isn't increasing the mucus. What might be useful is to get your mother to make you some mineral rich soups, that you can put a couple of ladle fulls into a saucepan, heat and drink warm out of a cup as you go. The other things that I would go for, would be finger food, like spanakopita (even though that has feta in it, if whoever makes it can reduce the feta and increase the onion spinach and parsley, and add a couple of f/r eggs...)

Whoever makes it should make them in triangles, wrap each on in saran wrap, and freeze them. You can take out two, put them in the oven until they are browned, allow them to cool for 10 minutes before you eat them, or you will burn your palate.

The other useful stand-bys are frozen wedges of lasagne of whatever type you like, be it seafood, veg, or meat...

Also, don't forget wedges of quiches frozen separately.

All those things can be taken out in portions which have been frozen, reheated from frozen, and eaten. That equates to minimum work for you, and maximum nutrition.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page