Does strep always need antibiotics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-26-2006, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering. My dd had it recently and was given antibiotics. She ended up hiding many of the pills and not taking them (discovered after the fact), but still recovered okay.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 16 Old 12-26-2006, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
Just wondering. My dd had it recently and was given antibiotics. She ended up hiding many of the pills and not taking them (discovered after the fact), but still recovered okay.
If she has obviously recovered, you should be okay.

Untreated strep CAN lead to scarlet fever, rheumatic fever, toxic shock syndrome, and kidney damage.
#3 of 16 Old 12-26-2006, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tadpoles View Post
Untreated strep CAN lead to scarlet fever, rheumatic fever, toxic shock syndrome, and kidney damage.
Wow.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 16 Old 12-26-2006, 02:41 AM

I'd have her tested again just to safe. I used to get strep as a child with little to no symptoms. I ended up with Rheumatic Fever and have complications still today. Yucky stuff.:

Salihah סליחה صالحه Mama to four boys, another due Dec 4th.
#5 of 16 Old 12-26-2006, 02:42 AM

There are a lot of natural anti-bacterials available but it's just hard to remember, & to take action at the moment. It's scary for me to 2nd guess. But, when I go to my ND and he tells me what to do instead of antibiotics, I guess that makes it easier. And, I TRY to catch things before they progress too far. Strep is scary to me. So sorry she had to deal w/that! I had it as a kid and it was so painful.

But, of course, different people have different opinions.
#6 of 16 Old 12-26-2006, 02:47 AM
Banned

If you check out the Vaccinations and Health and Healing boards, there are several posters who have treated Strep without antibiotics.

Antibiotics are not the only way to treat infections, disease, etc.
#7 of 16 Old 12-26-2006, 02:51 AM

Absolutely. There are other ways to fight infections. I just recommend getting a diagnosis before starting a treatment. I use my doc to diagnose things that I am not 100% sure of...like if the strep is really gone or not because it can still be there with no symptoms.

Then I take the diagnosis and say no thanks to his prescription.

#8 of 16 Old 12-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Today View Post
I ended up with Rheumatic Fever and have complications still today. Yucky stuff.:
I couldn't find anything about complications from Rheumatic Fever. Do you have a link or are you willing to share?
I, too, had Rheumatic Fever as a child. The only thing I know is that I have never gotten Step Throat since.
#9 of 16 Old 12-26-2006, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAmma View Post
No I don't believe you always need antibiotics. Personally, I would treat strep without. The body is an amazing "machine" and left totally alone, even on a sub optimal diet, can cure itself (of cancer even) 60% of the time. Of course that isn't to say it can't be helped in the healing process, especially if it is very toxic, but you don't need chemical pharmaceuticals to do that.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#10 of 16 Old 12-26-2006, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Strep does not always need antibiotics, as people have stated here, but it does sometimes need antibiotics. It isn't an all or nothing thing with strep, you have to assess case by case.

A few of years ago when my kids were very little I had a nasty case of strep. I was treating it naturally but it blew out of control very quickly (in a matter of hours) and if a friend hadn't stopped by and taken me to the hospital (dh was away and I was running in a foggy autopilot caring for the kids) I could have died. When I got to the ER I didn't understand all the fuss about a sore throat and feeling sick but my doctor was pretty shaken when we talked the next morning. The strep had invaded my blood stream and I became very, very ill. He does not like giving out antibiotics so when he says they are necessary, after this experience, I tend to believe him. I was in the hospital for a week. That said, I don't run to the doctor with every sore throat. I was very ill one other time with strep and I now recognize the warning signs in myself. I can tell whether can fight it on my own or if I need to get it checked out.

There is a time and a place for antibiotics. They are way overused by many doctors and patients but sometimes they are the treatment needed.

If your dd is given antibiotics in the future, I would recommend being present to make sure she takes them. Only taking a partial course can do more harm than good. The symptoms fade before the bacteria are wiped out and they can then become resistant to the antibioics - that is part of why we are finding so many resistant strains of bacteria, which is scary. Our family doctor sometimes writes a prescription but says to wait 24 hours before filling it. If things get worse, we filll it. If they are starting to improve on their own, we just rip the Rx up. Almost all of those get ripped up.
#11 of 16 Old 12-27-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaInTheBoonies View Post
I couldn't find anything about complications from Rheumatic Fever. Do you have a link or are you willing to share?
I, too, had Rheumatic Fever as a child. The only thing I know is that I have never gotten Step Throat since.
I got Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was told it was likely tied to having Rheumatic Fever as a child since I wasn't predisposed to it in any other way. Still, it's hard to say for sure how and why I got it, its easy to blame having strep a lot unknown/untreated, and the resulting Rheumatic Fever, but one can't say that is for sure the reason either way.

#12 of 16 Old 12-27-2006, 05:10 PM

According to our Family practioner strep does not HAVE to be treated by antibiotics. She said something like 10% of those who get strep have it enter the blood strem and it causes problems. Because of the high occurence of strep they would rather treat everyone with it than wait to see what 10% have complications.

I'm not sure how accurate it is but that is what she told me. I had it pretty bad a few months ago, to the point where the blisters were spreading to my gums, lips, and face. Not fun.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#13 of 16 Old 12-27-2006, 05:11 PM

Other complications can include damage to the heart valves. But I've never met anyone that has had that as a long-term result. I personally still find RA being linked in anyway to RF as iffy, although they are both inflammatory diseases and can both affect the joints, heart, etc. Either way, strep is yucky and best treated. But that doesn't have to mean conventional antibiotics as far as I understand.

#14 of 16 Old 12-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
I got Rheumatoid Arthritis.
I have never heard of RA being linked to Rheumatoid Fever. I know it has been linked to the MMR vaccine.
#15 of 16 Old 12-27-2006, 05:26 PM

you should read How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor.

he says that many cases of strep are undiagnosed and many people do not take their medicine, but rheumatic fever is uncommon. ds is jumping on the couch so i dont think i can explain it well. basically he believes the best thing to do is treat the symptoms but do not take antibiotics or else you may be sick all winter and end up on more antibiotics and gut flora problems. he doesnt treat strep and i believe he said only one case of rheumatic fever since he's been practicing? cant remember but read the book!
#16 of 16 Old 12-27-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Other complications can include damage to the heart valves. But I've never met anyone that has had that as a long-term result. I personally still find RA being linked in anyway to RF as iffy, although they are both inflammatory diseases and can both affect the joints, heart, etc. Either way, strep is yucky and best treated. But that doesn't have to mean conventional antibiotics as far as I understand.
Ironically my mother, step-father and I were talking about this last week. One of my mother's closest friends died recently (very unexpectedly) from heart valve damage, believed to have been caused by childhood RF. He was a Christian Scientist, so my mother has no direct knowledge that he ever had RF, but it is suspected based on on the valve damage. He was also a child before routine use of antibiotics to treat Strep, so his religion ultimately was moot point. The discussion evolved into a dicussion about the fact that when they were children people frequently just fell over dead from heart disease, and that they both knew, and in SF's case acted as pall bearers for, their peers who died from rheumatic fever.

Does that mean conventional treatement? That depends on your own personal situation. But I will say (and they would agree) that it isn't something to be messed with. I would keep a close eye on a child that had confirmed strep and did not have antibiotic treatment (whether by intent or by accident) to make sure that the strep has truelly cleared up and not turned into something more serious.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page