Sudden jaw pain?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-29-2006, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We went out to dinner last night and I noticed that my jaw suddenly hurt. DH said I probably sprained it talking too much to my friend yesterday.

This morning I could barely open my mouth and I still can't chew very well because it hurts. It hurts on one side right where my lower jaw meets my upper jaw.

Has anyone had jaw pain come on suddenly like this? Maybe it's from clenching my teeth too much dealing with all the holiday excitement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2006, 09:24 PM

My cousin recently reported that her "face felt like it would fall off." Same kind of pain you're describing and it came on rather suddenly. In her case it was a wisdom tooth. She used clove oil to help with the pain until she could see a dentist.

I've had the kind of pain you're describing, too, and for me it was actually a sprain of sort. I moved my mouth in the wrong way and pulled something. Well, ok, maybe I was talking too much, too. It went away on its own.

I hope you figure it out and get it to stop hurting!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:16 PM

Could you have TMJ? I get jaw pain sometimes from this.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:05 PM

My dh had that. In his case, it was a wisdom tooth growing sideways and pushing on a nerve.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

My wisdom teeth were all pulled when I was in high school so I know it's not that.

It has started feeling a little better. It probably is a jaw sprain from blabbing too much! We're having a party on New Year's Eve, I'll probably re-sprain it because my best friend is coming over.

I don't think I have TMJ but who knows??
Old 12-29-2006, 11:35 PM

I have TMJ and it sounds like what you are experiencing. I got my wisdom teeth pulled and right after I had that done I could barely open my mouth. When I would force it open a bit more, the joint would snap and open farther. It got to the point I couildn't get past the snapping part, just couldn't open it far. The pain I experienced was like a sharp stabbing pain right where the joints come together.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

What do you do for TMJ? I took some ibuprofen yesterday and my jaw is feeling better today but does still hurt a little. My ear on that side is also kind of sore but I don't know if that is related or not.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:47 AM

TMJ is supposed to resolve on it's own if you try to take it easy on the jaw. Meaning no eating things requiring too much or hard chewing and relaxing since it's often caused by stress.

Since your ear is starting to hurt too, you may want to see if it's a sinus infection or ear infection. My sinus infections sometimes start out as a jaw ache and then an upper back teeth ache, followed by pain behind my eyes often accompanied by ear clogging or pain.

User Tag List