SUGAR-FREE tribe. January thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 148 Old 01-25-2007, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomformore View Post
My uncle died Sunday. He's the first of 8 boys to pass away (my dad is the youngest). It was very sudden. Tomorrow is the funeral. I'm even more upset b/c I can't go home! We're in Canada (home is MI) and b/c of the new passport laws I cannot take my baby over the border. There's no way I'm leaving my 5 week old, so I'll spend tomorrow sitting by the phone waiting to talk to everyone.

I'm so sorry for your loss! How sad! I cave when I'm stressed too... at least yours is legitimate stress - I had a handful of chocolate chuips last night after I had a hard time getting the girls to bed. Argh. And then a beer, which I'm sure is sugar-free, right?

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 148 Old 01-25-2007, 07:22 AM

a bit late, but I'm subbing.
I'm sorry about your uncle, roomforonemore.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#123 of 148 Old 01-25-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomformore View Post
I caved this week. I'd been doing soo well! I ate some pudding with the boys. Have you seen how much sugar is in pudding?! I know I ate it b/c I am stressed.
My uncle died Sunday. He's the first of 8 boys to pass away (my dad is the youngest). It was very sudden. Tomorrow is the funeral. I'm even more upset b/c I can't go home! We're in Canada (home is MI) and b/c of the new passport laws I cannot take my baby over the border. There's no way I'm leaving my 5 week old, so I'll spend tomorrow sitting by the phone waiting to talk to everyone.
We were out of bananas and I can't help but wonder if I would have cheated if I'd had a frozen banana available. Had dh buy a ton of bananas at the store so I can freeze myself a "stash". Frozen bananas have become my new comfort food. Could be worse, eh?
I am sorry to hear about your uncle.

afro.jpg
#124 of 148 Old 01-25-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post
a bit late, but I'm subbing.
I'm sorry about your uncle, roomforonemore.

Welcome Rach!

afro.jpg
#125 of 148 Old 01-25-2007, 09:48 AM

Hello to everyone. New here and hope you all don't mind if I join. I wish I had found this two weeks ago when I quite sugar!!!!

I have been suffering from severe adult acne the last year and I have been struggling with not being able to get preg. I always thought I had an ok diet because I was a veg. and never ate fast food. Well, my diet was filled with bread and sugar!!! I did some reading a few weeks ago about clearing acne by cutting out the bread, sugar and refined stuff. I decided I just had to do it and went cold turkey. I love, love, love cookies, bread, ice cream. It was soooooo hard. I wanted to eat bread so bad everytime I made a sandwich for the kids. My husband is a bagel, coke, ice cream addict and watching him is painful!!! The hardest thing has been to go from being a veg for years to eating meat with each meal. Gross at first but I am used to it after two weeks. Each meal I start with about 4 oz of protein, then eat lots of fruits and veggies each meal. The only grains I have been having are oats, barley and quinoa because they are supposed to be low in sugar.

BUT it has been so worth it!!!! In two weeks, I have had no new break outs and my left over red marks are almost gone. My skin looks better than it has in a couple years. I went from 134 to 125 pounds in two weeks despite that fact that I am eating more food than I was before. I am feeling good even if I still have cravings. I am hoping that all this will help me to get preg.

Glad to have found you when the I just want some Cherry Garcia hits!

Keep up the no sugar
#126 of 148 Old 01-25-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haw-k View Post
Hello to everyone. New here and hope you all don't mind if I join. I wish I had found this two weeks ago when I quite sugar!!!!

I have been suffering from severe adult acne the last year and I have been struggling with not being able to get preg. I always thought I had an ok diet because I was a veg. and never ate fast food. Well, my diet was filled with bread and sugar!!! I did some reading a few weeks ago about clearing acne by cutting out the bread, sugar and refined stuff. I decided I just had to do it and went cold turkey. I love, love, love cookies, bread, ice cream. It was soooooo hard. I wanted to eat bread so bad everytime I made a sandwich for the kids. My husband is a bagel, coke, ice cream addict and watching him is painful!!! The hardest thing has been to go from being a veg for years to eating meat with each meal. Gross at first but I am used to it after two weeks. Each meal I start with about 4 oz of protein, then eat lots of fruits and veggies each meal. The only grains I have been having are oats, barley and quinoa because they are supposed to be low in sugar.

BUT it has been so worth it!!!! In two weeks, I have had no new break outs and my left over red marks are almost gone. My skin looks better than it has in a couple years. I went from 134 to 125 pounds in two weeks despite that fact that I am eating more food than I was before. I am feeling good even if I still have cravings. I am hoping that all this will help me to get preg.

Glad to have found you when the I just want some Cherry Garcia hits!

Keep up the no sugar

Well that's very encouraging!!!! I have bad skin too and I haven't noticed a major change yet but we'll see before AF when things are ususally the worst.

I have yet to lose any weight yet but I keep reminding myself that I'm nursing so I don't need to worry about weight as much as I need to worry about being very healthy which I'm doing. The weight will come off as long as I keep it up right? Does anyone know anything about this, I'm going to head over to weight loss and see what they say.

I struggled so much yesterday. At church they were having a special thing so there were candy, brownies, chips, cookies and other homemade goodies there. The only drink was lemonaid from a power. I did eat any of it but I did have a hotdog on a white bun, after I ate it I thought I should have just eaten it without the bun but it was too late, oh well. Then BOTH our cars broke down and I wanted a soda more than anything but I'm stranded at home. That's probably a good thing at the moment. I have no junk at our house so I have no choice but to stay good.

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
#127 of 148 Old 01-26-2007, 10:07 PM

Tonight we got out the bananas and popsicle sticks and had a banana-sicle party! We covered bananas in peanut butter, honey, or chocolate-peanut butter. Then we rolled them in coconut, peanuts, chocolate bits, and/or sprinkles. My bananas were not as fancy as everyone else's, but when trying to avoid sugar your options are limited .
Dh and boys are making move to consume less sugar (not easy for dh) and bananas-sicles (even though covered in sugary bits) are a better treat/dessert than the candy bars my dh likes to eat after dinner with the boys. It's funny how they ask their dad for candy bars, juice and icecream, but they ask mom for dates, raisins, water and yogurt. Kids are too smart sometimes!

Thanks for the condolences eyesoftheworld, rach, and purple girl. Very kind of you.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#128 of 148 Old 01-26-2007, 10:39 PM

banana pops sounds soooo good.
I can't believe I've never thought of it other than chocolate covered before. I will definitely be trying it this weekend!

#129 of 148 Old 01-27-2007, 10:19 AM

so sorry for your loss roomformore even more frustrating
w/the bureaucratic @#$% at the border

I have extra banana's so I think it will be nite at our house
for dessert!! GREAT idea, Thanks!

Thomlyn, A thought about your weight....I breastfed for 2+ yrs and it
did NOT help me loose the baby weight [+ some of my own ]
BUT I believe now the reason why is b/c my insulin levels were OUT
OF CONTROL!!! b/c I ate WAY TO MUCH SUGAR!!!!!!!!

Now that I'm essentially sugar free, the pounds have been coming off
and I have not been exercising, YET.....my next goal

Now, that is just my personal experience, but I think most of us on this
thread have sugar/carb issues which = weight problems so maybe taking
another look at your food choices for excess or refined carbs might help.
This is suggested in the friendliest of ways....not meant to be critical

I WISH I was still bfding, for many reasons, but w/my new eating plan,
notice I didn't say diet.....and bfding.....I'd be a twig by now
#130 of 148 Old 01-27-2007, 11:13 AM

Well I haven't had any candy or cookie type things since last Monday. The cravings still come and go but they aren't near as strong as they were the first couple nights. I have two slices of raisin bread with butter or two hard boiled eggs for breakfast, a smoothie (raw milk, fruit, veggies, CO, egg yolks, peanut butter) or a sandwhich (whole wheat bread and peanut butter) for lunch, then for dinner usually eggs or hamburger meat in some sort of mixture(casseroles and soups). I usually add potatos b/c they are pretty cheap. I snack on SMALL amounts of dried fruit (like one serving per day and I don't buy any that has added sugar), fruits and lots of almonds or a glass of raw milk. It makes me so mad that the healthy food is so expensive. Therefor we don't have a lot of variety but what I make is as healthy as I can do it. I also don't do proccessed foods, no mixes or packages. Any tips???

Anyhow, I've been working out, walking almost every day and on the days I can't walk to have a step that I use. I've also been doing a little bit of weights but nothing organized. I had a little roll forming from the combo or extra skin and fat from the baby and that is gone but my pants aren't getting any looser.

#131 of 148 Old 01-27-2007, 12:26 PM

Hmmm... I've got a 6 week old that I'm breastfeeding. After having her I was 7 lb above my pre-pregnancy weight. I've been pretty much sugar-free for 4 weeks now and am still 4 lb above my pre-preg. weight. I gained 13 lb right before I got pregnant, right around the time I started grad school. *sigh* I sure do miss my blue jeans.

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
#132 of 148 Old 01-27-2007, 07:48 PM

Welcome to all the new people. I've been "absent" somewhat, because ever since starting college classes 3 weeks ago, I admit I've fallen off the wagon. Feeling stressed about how I thought I'd done on a geology test, I went to the grocery store and got a dozen donuts. And probably at 5 of them in two days. (got a B- on the test,btw,lol. ate donuts for nothing!) I am sugar free again though, I have to, I have a dentist appointment in less than 2 months and I will NOT have a cavity (my teeth are extremely prone to decay, I've talked about it before...) So I admit I will be relying on "sugar free" stuff to get me through this, when I'm craving some kind of "reward" . I've resorted to sugar free pudding, sugar free hot cocoa w/sugar free whipped cream. Once my body gets over it and I feel like I'm back on track, I'll wean off of those.

But ugh, I did realize that not checking in here so often had something to do with it. Reading about all of you and checking in helps me soo much. I need to not be absent from here again!!!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#133 of 148 Old 01-31-2007, 04:33 PM

Just wanted to do a check in for Jan.

I made it to the end of the month. I think it been about three weeks. I'm feeling GREAT. I don't know if I feel so good b/c of the lack of sugar or just b/c I set a goal and I stuck to it!!!!

I've been working out too, a friend and I are trying to lose weight together so we'll see what happens.

See you in Feb!!!!!!

#134 of 148 Old 01-31-2007, 05:13 PM

Whoo hoo! good for you!
#135 of 148 Old 02-01-2007, 01:06 PM

On Saturday I went to my friends cabin and I went a bit off the wagon. I didn't consume a lot of sugary things but I think I had too many grapefruit coolers filled with sugar in the hot tub. I am going to try again starting today.
#136 of 148 Old 02-02-2007, 03:38 PM

Sorry if I already said this (going sugar free has NOT improved my memory - I don't think anything can do that )

If anyone is on Sparkpeople, search for the Sugarfree or Trying to Be team

Thomlyn, how's it going? I feel great too It's partly being proud but I think it's mostly physical. My body just feels so much healthier with no refined sugars in it. I don't binge, I don't have uncontrollable cravings - I'm in CONTROL! It's no longer the sugar running the show! It's very cool
#137 of 148 Old 02-03-2007, 10:25 PM

Hey Shannon glad to hear you're doing so well. I agree with the control issue completly, it's great. I feel very empowered by this whole thing.

We've had a stressful weekend, had a garage sale, ate a lot of fast food but nothing sweet. I'm sure there may have been some sugar in things but none of it was actually sweet so I'm proud of myself for not caving in fully. We have some Chinese leftovers we're going to finish up tomorrow for dinner then we're back on track. I've already got our menu made up and everything. As long as I can make it through the trip to the store tomorrow I'll be fine. I've been reading tons about the benifts of eggs, I knew they were good for you but what I'm reading is just amazing. So I'm hoping to fill up on eggs to keep any cravings away, even though the cravings haven't been that bad lately.

#138 of 148 Old 02-04-2007, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New to this: MY HEAD IS KILLING ME. I actually havent cut out sugars in food yet, just tea. I drink about 5 cups of hot tea a day, each with 2 sugars in them. I have decided to stop this first, then work my way to the food part. Its been 2 days now, with no sugar in tea. Like I said, my head is killing me. I only drink water or sprite zero around the house so my other drinks are sugar free. And I dont drink milk. How long will this headache last?

Me and my wonderful husband serve God. Blessed with twin girls 2/11/11. <3

#139 of 148 Old 02-04-2007, 05:54 PM

Well my headache only lasted one day, my body ached the next day and after that I was fine. If you can get through this part it only gets easier, at least in my opinion. Also if the tea had caffeine you could be having withdraw from that too.

Good luck!!!!

#140 of 148 Old 02-04-2007, 06:27 PM

I have had a bad week. Every day I'm ok then I have that one thing. I don't bing or anything but I'm so dissappointed that I weekened. I hope I can start Monday and do at least one week.
#141 of 148 Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 PM

transitions, I'm not clear on if you cut the tea too? If so and if it was caffeinated then that's part of it.

For the sugar, I personally didn't have headaches but many people seem to. I don't know how long they last if you just cut down. The people I know who went cold turkey I think the headaches only lasted a day or two. I hope you're feeling better!

MangoMama, someone on Sparkpeople just went sugar free and it took her three tries to get past Day 1. Now she's almost at a week sugar free! It's hard, but stick in there. It's very much worth it!
#142 of 148 Old 02-06-2007, 10:32 PM

So dh told me what my V-day present is.

Before I went sugar free he ordered me girl scout cookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do I do?? Can I even eat one or will it make the cravings come back?? I was thinking I could freeze them and maybe it a few every once in awhile. Or eat them all in one day and be done with them. Or eat none and give them away. I don't know what to do. Dh is so upset about the whole problem but it was such a sweet thought.

What do you think???

#143 of 148 Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 PM

I have been off sugar for over 2 weeks now. I have a lot more energy and am not sleepy during the day, no matter how much sleep I get or don't get at night.

My great grandmother turned 95 this weekend, and I went ahead and had a very small slice of cake. I took one bite and it was too sweet with the icing and filling. So I ate just the cake and with no desire to eat the icing or filling at all. I did not want another piece and I was happy to resist the traditional day after birthday cake breakfast.
I'm quite proud of myself for not wanting or needing anymore cake.
I do admit, I still crave the sweet stuff, but now I worry it will be too sweet for me? (I would really like a root beer float! : ) For now, I will continue on the course.
I hope you don't count my one very small piece of cake against me! How could I not partake in my great grandmother's 95th birthday cake??

#144 of 148 Old 02-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Hi guys! I haven't checked in for awhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomlynn View Post
What do I do?? Can I even eat one or will it make the cravings come back?? I was thinking I could freeze them and maybe it a few every once in awhile. Or eat them all in one day and be done with them. Or eat none and give them away. I don't know what to do.
Awe, that was sweet! I would eat a couple and make sure I ooohhh and ahhhed in front of DH to tell him how much I appreciate them. Then take them to the office and give them away. You don't have to tell DH you are giving them away. Besides the sugar, those things are full of hydrogenated oils. Not the healthiest.

I finally kicked my habit of girl scout cookies a couple of years ago when we bought some, ate a few, and then put them in the pantry to slow down our consumption. We forgot about them and when I pulled them out a few months later, the cookies in the opened box looked and smelled the same as when we first opened them. I figured anything that stayed good opened for so long at room temperature must not be real food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post
I hope you don't count my one very small piece of cake against me! How could I not partake in my great grandmother's 95th birthday cake??
Food is a very social thing in every culture. I still will eat a bite of cake or cookie once in a while out of politeness even though I always get an instant headache from it. I just try to chase or bundle it with some fiber or fat so it affects me less.
#145 of 148 Old 02-07-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratc View Post
I finally kicked my habit of girl scout cookies a couple of years ago when we bought some, ate a few, and then put them in the pantry to slow down our consumption. We forgot about them and when I pulled them out a few months later, the cookies in the opened box looked and smelled the same as when we first opened them. I figured anything that stayed good opened for so long at room temperature must not be real food.
That's pretty gross. We've got family and friends coming down this weekend so maybe I'll share the wealth and we'll each have a few. DH doesn't mind, he ordered them before the sugar-free thing and that's why he told me about them before v-day, so he won't mind if I give them away. I think he just feels a little guilty about it b/c I've been doing so well sugar free. I gave him a big hug last night when he told me and reminded him it's the thought that counts. He's a good guy so he won't mind if I don't eat them all. Plus the less I eat the more he can eat!!!

I've been trying to tell him how great I feel and he's slowly coming around. He goes to work everyday so he has more temptation that I do. He's trying to give up diet soda and he's cut back to one cup of coffee a day (sweetened with stevia) so I've been encouraging him. I really want him to get off the soda. I've been mixing 1 part grape juice with 4 parts sparkling water to fix my soda craving. I like the fizziness and since I'm only drinking less than 1/3 cup of grape juice it can't be too bad. Plus I try to limit myself to one glass per day, but yesterday I had two b/c a good friend was having a pregnancy breakdown, dd was having a teething/overtired meltdown and I was trying to cook dinner : It was a little crazy around here!!!

Also another thought I wanted to share with you all, when I first started going sugar free a friend told me something she read in that "You on a Diet" book (I think it was that one and for the record I have no idea if the book is good or not this is the only part she told me). The author suggest that you go on three day fast from foods that you commonly eat to see what it does to your body. He suggest things like sugar, caffine, grains, and milk. I thought that was such a good idea. Just to see if your body goes through withdrawl. You do one at a time so you know for sure which one is causing the reaction. I've gone sugar and caffine free and boy was it tough (just go back a few post and you can see the craziness : ). We only do raw milk and mostly sprouted grains so I think I'm doing the best I can there. Anyhow I thought it was an interesting idea and I wanted to share.

ETA-- I forgot she also told me that the author says that all sugar that you don't burn off right away as energy is stored as fat!!!! Yet another reason to cut it out!!!

#146 of 148 Old 02-07-2007, 05:50 PM

Lori, I wouldn't store them like you first suggested, or eat them all like your second suggestion. What *I* would do is give them away but I think eating one or two and then giving them away is the best idea of the ones you presented Again, sugar is very personal so while I'm fairly certain I couldn't handle it, if you can then go for it! I like to think that some day I can be at a point where I can have a serving of something sugar and then go right back to not eating it. I don't know if I'd ever be able to or not, I just know that I'm not there now.

I think the 3 day fast idea is a great one! It's a good test for whether you are addicted to something or not. If it's really easy to give up then you aren't, right?
#147 of 148 Old 02-07-2007, 06:08 PM

Hi!

I went sugar free 2 weeks ago. It was very hard the first few days (I got terrible headaches), but I'm doing much better now. I do have some sort of mild stomach bug right now, which is giving me some cravings (it's odd, but sugary things used to settle my stomach).

My birthday is in 2 weeks. I'm sure someone is going to want to do a cake or something. I can make a cake sweetened with only fruit and honey, but I doubt anyone but me, DH, and DS will eat it. Oh well, it's my birthday!
#148 of 148 Old 02-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Shannon, you're breaking my heart!!! I was hopeing someone would tell me to just eat a whole box tonight. No such luck. I am the same at you, if I have a little I want it all. I've been thinking about these stupid cookies all day so I know there is no way I can keep them in the house in hopes of only eating a couple at a time over a few months. They'll be gone by this weekend. But, I guess if I could stick to a serving size I wouldn't be here at all. Oh well, I think I'm going to do like you said and eat some and send the rest back to work with dh. Maybe I'll tell him to hold onto them until this weekend when guest will be here. We can have them for dessert.

Karlin, sorry you're sick and hopefully once you get better those cravings will be gone again.

I think I'm going to go start the February thread!!!! We're way behind!!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page